Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fruitarian / Fruitarianism

Default Re: Fructarianism/Fruitarianism

It's a very tragic story. These parents may have had little knowledge about nutrition (they were from Armenia, a country where knowledge about vegan nutrition is practically non-existent) - but I'm sure they did what they did because they wanted the best for their child.

It's tragic that this case is described as 'child cruelty' - and that the judge said that "You will continue to be punished by the consequences of your actions". Maybe it was meant only as an explanation for why they didn't get a kail sentence, but this must have been very difficult for the parents. The mother kept sleeping on the blanket that last held her baby, and was described as a very loving parent. I read that she had been having suicidal thoughts after her baby died in 2000, and was found dead 2003.

veganesh

Fruitarian diet includes whatever the plant freely gives
    .. from a tree, bush, vine, or plant

This includes seeds, nuts,
    lima beans, soybeans, soymilk etc etc.

The BBC ,linked to British beef and promoter of the war in Iraq, is quick to point to this... but negligent in
    mentioning the countless tens of thousands of child deaths from leukemia and other
    animal product related diseases.

http://fruitarians.blogspot.com

veganesh

re Harpy on B 12

Vegan B12 is Hydroxylcobalamin

How does this relate to animals? Scientists paid by animal abuse
    corporations maintain that vegans have a B12 problem

Vegan B12 is hydroxylcobalamin
    which is more efficient than meateater b12: cyanocobalamin.

Vegan blood looks more purplish...
    Vegans' blood has more red blood cells per cubic centimeter.
    This is one of many factors in superior vegan athletic ability.
    For example, retired Marine Captain Alan Jones holds, IMHO,
    the world record for consecutive sit ups: 17,003

Vegan alkaline intestinal tracts regain the ability to manufacture
    ones own B12.

The B12 controversy: a dairy and animal flesh industry scam

http://www.notmilk.com

FREE AND ONLINE ARTICLES BY
    VEGAN MD'S

Articles by Michael Klaper MD at http://www.vegsource.com/klaper
    Articles by Stephen Kaufman MD at http://www.christianveg.com
    Articles by hundreds of vegan MD's at http://www.pcrm.org
    Articles by Michael Gregor MD at http://www.drgreger.org

SMALL FRACTION OF BOOKS BY VEGETARIAN MDS

Diet and Nutrition; Rudolf Ballantine, MD.
    Diseases Of Food Animals Owen Parrett MD

you can try this place too. A LOT of fruitarians there.

www.rawfoodtalk.com

Sorry if there's an issue with posting this place. I see that it's recommended to buy the book for the 1st month's fasting & stuff, but I was amazed how many ppl are fruitarian there.

cvC

Another raw-food forum:

http://www.rawfoodsupport.com/

There's a photo of the Boutenkos here:

http://www.rawfamily.com/

I saw this at the homepage of someone called Anne that has posted on the "Fruit Nut" message board:

http://www.webspawner.com/users/frui...gachildon.html

This is the website of the "Festival of Life" that has been held in London the last couple of years:

http://www.festivaloflife.net/

Default what's the diet that causes the least harm?

meat/fowl/fish/seafood - kills the creature
    milk - kills the calves and the mother eventually
    eggs - kills male chicks and the layers eventually
    grains - kills millions of fieldmice/voles/groundnesting birds etc
    vegetables - kills plants
    beans - no death if cooked. if sprouted kills plants.
    nuts/seeds - should be sprouted to release enzyme inhibitors = kills plants
    fruit - kills pests and insects if not organic
    seaweed - already dead

what should one eat???
    grains are technically just as bad as eggs and milk

Default Re: what's the diet that causes the least harm?

No, grains aren't as bad, because grain is fed to animals, so not only causing the incidental killing you described, but also the intentional killing of the animals. And of course, massive waste of resources.

Guilty feelings can spiral out of control if you lose perspective.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

If you insist on living then become a veganic fruitarian
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Blueshark

Nuts, fruit and vegetable were designed to be ate by animals. Often the seed or nut passes through the digestive tract and creates a new plant from the resulting faeces.

So eat these foods and sh*t in your garden.

who designed vegetables to be eaten?

Quote Mr Flibble
    If you insist on living then become a veganic fruitarian
    But what about the tiny insects and maggots in the fruit?!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

rehome them?

Blueshark

Quote Mr Flibble
    who designed vegetables to be eaten?
    Some chap, forgotten his name now.

Quote Mr Flibble
    rehome them?
    Oh, that's so cute!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

We also have to consider that almost all omnis eat fruit, vegetables, grains, beans, nuts, seeds, milk, eggs, and meat, AND are indirectly responsible for the deaths resulting from the tons of grain and legumes fed to the animals they eat (most grains in North America are grown to feed livestock). But vegans only eat fruit, vegetables, grains, beans, nuts and seeds, so are only indirectly responsible for the deaths resulting from cultivation of the plants they themselves eat.

So if omnis want to play the counting game as far as how much harm each diet causes, then they'll lose miserably.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Quote Cairidh
    I couldn't disagree more...

Quote Korn
    I couldn't disagree more...
    could you expand on that?

Quote Cairidh
    meat/fowl/fish/seafood - kills the creature
    Sure. We all agree.

Eating grains doesn't have to kill field mice, but modern agriculture methods kills some insects and mice due to their 'efficient' methods. People who are bothered with this should IMO try to live a more 'primitive' way, or avoid grains, not conclude with something that could be interpretted as 'you might as well start eating eggs/milk again if you use grains'.
    vegetables - kills plants
    Do you really equal eating a plant with killing? To me it's totally different. We can't her plants scream. They don't try to run away. They don't have friends or parents who will attack us to protect their mates. They don't look like something I associate with 'kill', like chicken or humans.

nuts/seeds - should be sprouted to release enzyme inhibitors = kills plants
    If you believe in this, don't eat sprouted nuts/seeds. Anti-vegan trolls have used this kind of logic many times to make people go 'oh well, I'm killing something/someone anyways, so I moght just as well drop being vegan'. We've had several of these trolls here.

fruit - kills pests and insects if not organic
    So go organic!

I don't consider eating grains or seeds 'killing', 'harming' or exploiting at all. I don't think that way, I don't feel that way, as I wrote above. Nature is always overproducing grains/seeds - most seeds only seem to exist only to be eaten.

Default Re: Fruitarians?

Quote Mr Flibble
    I've never met a true fruitarian, and to be honest, I'm starting to think it's a bit of an urban legend
    I've known four people who have tried fruitarianism, but none of them managed to stick to the diet for long. I think the longest was about a year for a couple of them. One of them craved cooked food quite badly, especially in winter. I know I wouldn't want to go through the winter without hot meals. I couldn't manage to be frutarian because, strange as it seems for a vegan, I don't actually like many fruits or nuts. Pears, apples, bananas, nectarines and grapes are about it for fruit and cashews, almonds and pecans for nuts and I don't like seeds at all. Thankfully I adore all vegetables.

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread about B12 being in fruits. I didn't think that B12 was to be found in any fruits or vegetables. I think it was either Tesco's or Sainsbury's that used to say on the packaging for raspberries that they contained B12, but it's now been removed. I was puzzled by that.

Default Re: Fruitarian / Fruitarianism

It was Tesco. I think their raspberries were B12-fortified.

Quote Korn
    It was Tesco. I think their raspberries were B12-fortified.
    That explains it. I have this vision now of people injecting B12 into each individual raspberry by syringe

Eating grains doesn't have to kill field mice, but modran agriculture methods kills some insects and mice due to their 'efficient' methods. People who are bothered with this should IMO try to live a more 'primitive' way, or avoid grains, not conclude with something that could be interpretted as 'you might as well start eating eggs/milk again if you use grains'.
    You can interpret it as "you might as well start eating eggs/milk again if you use grains" if you wish.
    I certainly would never interpret it as that, which should be obvious from the title I gave to the topic - "what's the diet that causes the least harm?" and the question I concluded with : "what should one eat???".

I interpret it as "you shouldn't really eat grains either". Which I don't.

Quote Cairidh
    Quote Korn
    I don't consider eating grains or seeds 'killing', 'harming' or exploiting at all. I don't think that way, I don't feel that way, as I wrote above. Nature is always overproducing grains/seeds - most seeds only seem to exist only to be eaten.
    I didn't say "eating grains is as bad as eating eggs and milk because grains are plant embryos"

I said:

Quote Minoan_Chris
    Does anyone know anything about this vegan diet? Is it possible to do without losing one´s health? It seems that you´re missing some key elements or there are some that are sketchy and experts can´t seem to agree. I´ve looked at a few sights and none of them answer the question about B12 (my main concern). Thanks for the help.
    It will ruin your health, try freeganism instead. It actually causes less harm than fruitarianism, and is much healthier/safer. I wish the human body was designed to live on just fruit, but it's not

Quote Minoan_Chris
    Does anyone know anything about this vegan diet? Is it possible to do without losing one´s health? It seems that you´re missing some key elements or there are some that are sketchy and experts can´t seem to agree. I´ve looked at a few sights and none of them answer the question about B12 (my main concern). Thanks for the help.
    Fruitianism is similar to veganism, only more strict. The practitioner of (commercial) fruitarianism, has such a love of -nearly- all things living, that he believes only in taking his own life!! I don't recommend it. Add leafy greens (mineral content - extra protein) and it would be more practical. As for b12, that's a problem on a vegan diet so why single out fruitarians?

Quote Zanahorias! View Post
    Furthermore, for the person that is too thin, it can be just as upsetting as being overweight. I speak here from personal experience, as it has always been extremely hard for me to gain weight. I'm 5'10" and weight 113 lb., people assume that I have an eating disorder and call me stick boy behind my back.

Worse yet, our society compounds the idea of extreme thinness (think 92 lb. models draped in dead animals).
    I hear ya. For years I was wavering around 110-115lbs. Back then, people used to call me "painfully thin".
    Now I'm at my heaviest at 135lbs. Which, I think is still pretty skinny for someone 5'9". I was just thinking about the models as well. I was wondering if any of them are fructarians.

*Edit*
    Whoops... Seems like I was reading the second page and mistook it for the last.

eating leafy greens doesn't make you a fruitarian but a raw vegan! However, nuts and grains are fruits too. As for the sugar contained in fruits and tha so called potential danger of getting diabetis, i think that when the body is fully adopted to a fruitarian diet, it can't receive huge amounts of natural sugar from fruits and sends signals of saturation. for example, how could one eat two watermelons by themselves so that he would get such sugar quantities that would pose a threat...! Besides, natural fruit sugar is totally different from the white, crystallic, refined sugar which is proved to be VERY VERY unhealthy.

I'm not an expert on fruitarianism. i just try to be a raw vegan (without always managing it) but my instict sais that a diet based on fruits, nuts and seeds could not pose a threat to one's health. A lot of study must be done though...

i think that i posted in the wrong page.... they're similar

Quote health freak View Post
    eating leafy greens doesn't make you a fruitarian but a raw vegan! However, nuts and grains are fruits too.
    i agree with you there.

Default Re: Any Fruitarians?

richard blackman;

http://www.care2.com/c2c/people/prof...?pid=961636071

is a well known fruitarian - he doesn't eat any greens, nuts etc.

there seems to be a split on what fruitarian can mean - i have found other trains of thought which say that fruitarians are simply raw vegans though, incorporating greens, veggies etc.

i was mostly frutitarian during the summer when i ate only raw food, and for a week or two was only fruititarian. it was the most amazing i have ever felt, after that experience, i really feel more inclined to a fruititarian diet than any other diet. i will go back to it someday .. maybe today .. maybe next year .. maybe next month!

there's a lot of reading you can do on it. i think you get your proteins from amino acids or something like that. i never felt weak as a fruititarian, or i guess, mostly fruititarian.

Hi y'all,
    My names Mango, and I'm a fruitarian.. Eve mentioned me a while back in this thread, and for those that are still curious.. I am still a practising fruitarian.. of long standing.. My diet consists of pretty much solely fruit.. I have been a vegan (ethically) for well over 20 years already too..

And I'm back in Australia once more.. after some years traveling around Europe.. Well.. My girlfriend is also fruitarian, she is trying to get into the Big Brother house.. you can see more about that here:
    http://mangodurian.blogspot.com

Peace and fruit to all,
    regards and hugs too..
    Mango the Fruitarian.

How do you get B12?

(Aaahh!! I just looked at your blog and it looks like there is a picture of you eating durian!!)
    Last edited by angelamc; Dec 13th, 2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: added more

To clarify my last post, I was specifically asking mangodurian where he got his B12 from. I think it's a completely different issue from where vegans get their B12. For example, I get my B12 from a multivitamin, fortified cereals, and marmite/nutritional yeast. These are all vegan sources (so says the label) but as far as I can tell, they are not fruitarian in the purest sense of the word.
    I am just curious. I'm probably not going to become a fruitarian but I would love to know more about it. I would also like to start eating more raw food. Winter time is difficult for me in this respect because I like to eat hot foods like casserole and soups!

Quote angelamc View Post
    To clarify my last post, I was specifically asking mangodurian where he got his B12 from. I think it's a completely different issue from where vegans get their B12. For example, I get my B12 from a multivitamin, fortified cereals, and marmite/nutritional yeast. These are all vegan sources (so says the label) but as far as I can tell, they are not fruitarian in the purest sense of the word.
    I am just curious. I'm probably not going to become a fruitarian but I would love to know more about it. I would also like to start eating more raw food. Winter time is difficult for me in this respect because I like to eat hot foods like casserole and soups!
    Hi Angela,
    yes.. that's me eating the durian.. I think.. but are you sure it wasn't a jack fruit?

Anyhow, in answer to your question about B12, I just wrote this:

B12 on a Fruiatrian diet

It's probably not exactly what you want to hear, but it's about the best answer I can give you..

regards,
    Mango the Fruitarian.

i read your thing on b12 and i totally agree. when i eat raw, the world is so much brighter. i feel inside that i lack nothing nutritionally. i dont know why some people can put so much thought into this nutritional science, its so silly. i dont think about it especially "protein". you eat food that is natural, you dont need anything else. i guess you probably have to think about all those things on a cooked diet or if you eat processed foods and whatnot because it is not natural and does not have all the thigns you need in it. but fruit does. fruit has everything. you dont need supplements. you dont need to think about it.

Thanks for the prompt reply, mango! It was a very interesting concept, painfully simple! Whenever I go more than a week without taking my b12 supplement the corners of my lips start to crack and I get other symptoms. I am open to your ideas though, and have often thought that human beings did not originally need b12 in their diets. Since I am a Christian I actually believe in a real Adam and Eve and I think that they ate mostly fruitarian diets. I'm not sure if they ate lettuces or not. Anyway, I believe that humans were originally designed to eat the way you describe. After the winter passes I may decide to forgo my supplements and eat a diet higher in fresh fruit. We will see what the results are then!

Hi again!
    thanks for your thoughts.. And glad to see that i am making some kind of sense to you both!

It is odd that I get asked so many such questions by people that I can look at and clearly see that they are in a far worse state of health than I have ever been, and yet they still think somehow that I am misinformed and dicing with my own health.

Like, someone might ask "How can you still be alive eating just fruit?".. and I'm thinking, yeah.. the real mystery is how come you are still alive eating whatever it is that you eat..

Truly the human body is capable of taking all kinds of abuse and surviving it for 4 score and 10.. But I reckon that over a period of some generations of fruit eating, we will once more begin to see extended life periods.. and eventually, I feel quite certain that those biblical long lives will be ours once again..

Nice quote applebaby: fruit has everything. you don't need supplements. you don't need to think about it.

regards,
    Mango the Fruitarian.

Hi Mango, good to see you looking so well, and back in Oz. What's that stuff you're covered in? Surely not pawpaw? Don't know where you and your partner are living, but where I am in Qld it is sweltering. Well, mid-30C every day. Some day soon it may rain!

Thank you for your thoughts on B12, you must surely be right.
    Eve

That photo of you having a mud bath is awesome. I thought it was a statue at first.

hi eve!/sluggie,
    yes.. that's mud on me.. (who know's maybe i'm absorbing b12 directly through my skin, from the mud!)..anyhow, mud baths are fun, feel good and very cleansing...

i'm currently working on a small post about detox, and will stick it in my blog when done..

regards to all,
    mango.

:)xmas every1!

I saw a girl on tv the other day who used to be a fruitarian.
    She said that for the first 2 weeks she was on a right high, super energetic and so on.
    Then she started losing clamps of hair, got black circles underneath the eyes, anaemia and started really suffering.
    I agree that fruit is one of the best and most important foods you can eat, but arent a balanced diet on themselves.
    You can eat too much fruit, for instance if you eat 5 clementines a day, or 3 regular oranges, you start pissing away your vitamin c. Fact.

Well it's obviously not causing such awful things to Mango, and he's been a fruitarian for yonks. Surely, Essie, if someone is pissing away their vit C, it can only be the surplus?
    Eve

Quote BxDani View Post
    i personally would love to become a raw vegan but i'm terrified due to the amount of weight you lose
    i don't think you necessarily have to lose a lot of weight. i know a guy who's been a raw food vegan for years and he's a bodybuilder. he's very muscular.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

is it just me or does it seem like a lot of vegans on this thread are saying things about fruitarians that animal eaters say about vegans? people who are stating that they know very little to nothing about it, not even what the diet consists of, are saying:

"you don't get enough protein"
    "you don't get your b12"
    "not enough calories"
    "i heard a bad experience about this one person....... so it must be true for everyone"
    "that's cool, i respect it, but i could never do it.... i like _____ too much"

i thought that a thread about fruitarianism would have information about fruitarianism but instead it's mostly pages of people talking about why the diet seems like a bad idea based on their own assumptions rather than actual facts about what a healthy fruitarian diet consists of. at the very least i'd love to hear about what a fruitarian eats in a typical day.
    i'm sorry if this sounds aggressive, but i think everyone would appreciate it if there was a little more info than naysaying here.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

Quote eve View Post
    Well it's obviously not causing such awful things to Mango, and he's been a fruitarian for yonks. Surely, Essie, if someone is pissing away their vit C, it can only be the surplus?
    Absolutely. I have nothing against fruitarians but utmost respect for those who can get on with it in a healthy manner. If left to my own devices I'd probably stick to bananas and die within 2 weeks!

Perhaps I didnt give much thought to it, never meant to be offensive to those who succeed at being healthy eating only fruit, just cant imagine how difficult it has to be to get it right.

That girl on TV didnt, obviously. If I'd heard about someone who'd been a fruitarian for 5 years and with good health I wouldnt be so biased. It all comes back to me being an ignorant!!!

Good night to all

Never meant to be offensive to those who dont get it right either.

hi all, eve's right, if she was pissing out vitamin c, it was most likely not needed (to be done) by the body anyway.. essie, there was also a fruitarian of very long standing called essie.. she was south african.. and wrote a book called "I live on fruit and nothing else".. besides.. 2 weeks is not enough to blame any diet.. i know of several long term fruitarians, including one young lad that has grown up healthily on a fruit only diet.. hugs, mango Why fruit wants to be eaten

Quote GoodbyeGirl View Post
    i thought that a thread about fruitarianism would have information about fruitarianism but instead it's mostly pages of people talking about why the diet seems like a bad idea based on their own assumptions rather than actual facts about what a healthy fruitarian diet consists of. at the very least i'd love to hear about what a fruitarian eats in a typical day.
    i'm sorry if this sounds aggressive, but i think everyone would appreciate it if there was a little more info than naysaying here.
    agreed!

maybe you can help research some info with us gg?
    i dont know much about it, only basic stuff - i'm keen to learn more too

Hi cedarblue/goodbyegirl,

as a longterm fruitarian keeping a blog, i decided very recently to start posting what I ate each month. Here is the link to what I ate in November 2007 (just divide it by the number of days that I ate during that month, and you'll get a rough Idea of what I might eat on an average day)..

This is what I ate in November 2007

regards,
    Mango the Fruitarian
    http://mangodurian.blogspot.com