Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fruitarian / Fruitarianism

Default Re: Fruitarian / Fruitarianism

Mango, I could live on durian alone!!

Now you have me jonsing for a durian ... too bad the Asian markets are pretty much out of the way for me.

healthy,
    as a rather pleasant experiment, I once lived on nothing but durian for 2 and a half weeks.. I would have continued mono'ing on them had the season not ended..
    In my eyes, they are truly king of all foods, and I am very fortunate to be able to include them regularly in my diet..

regards,
    Mango. (Story of my first durian)

Mango, I always love to hear from fellow durian lovers.

When I had more time to get into NYC, I was eating at least one a week. I brought one to the office and it was a real hit! (Believe it or not!)

I love durians so much I had one tattooed on my inner leg back in 2004, to represent my love for durians and a healthy lifestyle

P.S. -- I just read your durian story. LOL, eating alone in a garage on Christmas -- now, that's dedication!!

The durian high is the best high around. I always get euphoric and energetic after eating them. I make it a point to eat them for breakfast when I have them, any later and I can't sleep nights!

Zero

Have any of you have read any Arnold Ehret's work? He spent a long time in Italy living off nothing more than grapes, sunlight and water.

Mango - I have been reading your blog, and also your partners...very inspirational! I love Australia, and would love to go back to live there, especially for all the sun and fresh fruit produce available.
    It's problematic here, when most of the nicer stuff you get used to is imported. Summer is great though, when the climate is better for more 'exotic' fruits. I'm not sure I could spend winter eating just fruit...especially as it'd be apples, oranges, pears and bananas.

I've never had durian...when I was in Thailand a lot of people were trying it, and didn't like the smell. That was enough to put me off, unfortunately! I was interested in what you said about the sense of smell being affected by the toxins in the body...that makes sense.

Quote Zero View Post
    Have any of you have read any Arnold Ehret's work? He spent a long time in Italy living off nothing more than grapes, sunlight and water.

have you read any? can you recommend any titles?

hi all,
    arnold ehret was an inspiration for me.. i read his books some 20 years ago..
    (one is called mucusless diet healing system, and another rational fasting).

emmy, hope you get to try durian someday, and that you find the courage to move to somewhere with more abundance and variety of fruit.. and healthy, glad you already know to appreciate them!!

hugs,
    mango.
    http://mangodurian.blogspot.com

Zero

I have Arnold Ehret's: Mucusless Diet Healing System book. It is a great book about how he overcame illness considered incurable and he groups foods into mucus forming and mucus binding (acid / alkali).

His work was published after his death, sadly he died at 58 from a head injury during an accident where he came off his bicycle (if I am remembering correctly).

I think I'll get that book. It's mega-cheap on Amazon!

Zero

Also, for anyone who thinks Fruitarianism might be unhealthy take a look at Richard Blackman www.fruitarianfitness.com
    His myspace has lots of pictures and stuff: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=56245967

He eats nothing but fruit, doesn't even drink water because he gets everything he needs from fruit.

There is also info on www.fruitarian.com

Quote emmy View Post
    I've never had durian...when I was in Thailand a lot of people were trying it, and didn't like the smell. That was enough to put me off, unfortunately! I was interested in what you said about the sense of smell being affected by the toxins in the body...that makes sense.
    Was it that people told you they didn't like the smell? The durian in Indonesia DID smell horrid, but Thai durian was delicious, espeically with sticky rice!
    Eve

I would like to try it sometime, but I am afraid of stinking the apartment out. We can buy it at the Asian grocery store.

Yes, it was the smell that put them off. And that was in Thailand, although come to think of it, it may have been in Cambodia or Vietnam

A question about fruitarianism....
    I am finding myself eating LOTS of fruit at the moment...which isn't something I'd usually be worried about! But I was wondering whether too much fruit sugar and acid is going to do me more harm than good? I know there are people who live on a fruitarian diet so it must be possible...*confused*!

care should be taken with dental hygiene with a high fruit/sugar diet.

i know people say they live strictly off a fruit diet (no greens etc) and i guess its up to us to believe that they are walking their talk honestly - with no cheating.....it is a difficult one i agree emmy.

If someone has inherited type two diabetes, they should steer clear of watermelon and pineapple for a start, as well as orange or other fruit juices. Just too much sugar.
    Eve

Isn't is a different type of sugar? Or does that not make any difference?

I have hypoglycaemia but I don't find that eating fruit triggers it. Eating refined sugars certainly does!

Zero

Quote eve View Post
    If someone has inherited type two diabetes, they should steer clear of watermelon and pineapple for a start, as well as orange or other fruit juices. Just too much sugar.
    I think if you have a condition such as this you should still be careful with your panceas as it may have a problem with processing abundence of natural sugar.
    Eventually though a raw diet can reverse diabetes.

Quote Zero View Post
    I think if you have a condition such as this you should still be careful with your pancreas as it may have a problem with processing abundance of natural sugar.
    Eventually though a raw diet can reverse diabetes.
    Hello Zero. Well I inherited the condition, and when diagnosed some years ago, I felt really shocked as I'd kept to a vegan diet. However, since reading various articles, and having a chat with an intelligent doc, I gave up watermelon, pineapple, and the morning glass of orange juice. I also kept to low GI foods. In no time the condition was reversed, and once a year the doc sends me for a blood test to check. Everything is dinki di.

Incidentally I'm not on a raw diet, though my breakfast consists of fruit, nuts, and seeds only. Now and then I have a bowl of rice with veges, and an occasional slice of grainy bread, so obviously those items are not raw.
    Eve

I could never eat just fruit. I'll take my hat off to anyone who does though, because they've obviously got really strong will-power.

Quote eve View Post
    Hello Zero. Well I inherited the condition, and when diagnosed some years ago, I felt really shocked as I'd kept to a vegan diet. However, since reading various articles, and having a chat with an intelligent doc, I gave up watermelon, pineapple, and the morning glass of orange juice. I also kept to low GI foods. In no time the condition was reversed, and once a year the doc sends me for a blood test to check. Everything is dinki di.

that's great eve.

Quote Roxy View Post
    I could never eat just fruit. I'll take my hat off to anyone who does though, because they've obviously got really strong will-power.
    me either - it's just not satiating for me on its own long term - and it can work out pretty pricey if you live in a cooler climate and a lot of fruits are imported.

It takes a ton of inspiration to eat all fruits. I did it for some time. The high/energy was phenominal. My eyes were always sparkling, my skin was always glowing. The biggest problem was weight loss. I was afraid to do it long term.

It's all about balance in life ... it's hard to be sociable on a "fruit only" lifestyle. I'm always going to social events ... and wow, not that I'm vegan, I never enjoyed food so much in my life! I had a vegan blueberry pie over the weekend and after eating that, I could never go back to raw food or fruitarian only. EDIT: Unless I had an endless supply of durian

And I feel just as good as I did when I was a raw foodist -- even better because I'm more grounded

(That's just me though ...)

Zero

I understand what you are saying Healthy, the body does lose a ton of weight on fruit, mostly water first as the body begins to lose it's acidity and return to it's natural alkaline state.

Then the body begins to take itself apart to remove and detoxify the tissues that are degraded. So that is why you see people getting thin, it isn't without dangers of course, any detox can cause cause issues especially if you have health issues to get past.

After the bad materials are removed the body then uses the material from the fruit to rebuild a better you and you put weight back on and it normalizes.

I don't eat a strictly fruitarian diet, I am about 80 - 90% raw and the majority of the raw food is fruit of some description.
    Like Arnold Ehret I consider each food on it's own merits and try not worry too much about whether it is cooked or not. I try to find what works best for me and if it isn't working then I change it

I do believe in fasting though, a 5 day water fast can do wonders for the body.

Don't necessarily follow everything Raw Gurus tell you, they are not you and cannot possibly tell you what is best for you, however they can point you in the right direction.

Whatever you chose to do, just do it with a happy heart

Thanks for all the info Zero. Everything you said made a lot of sense, including not following everything raw gurus tell you.

One of my favorite books is "Raw Knowledge" by Paul Nisson because at the end there are at least 25 interviews with different long-time raw foodists, all who have taken a different approach.

I may go back to it someday ... including dry fasting, which really did a lot for my body.

Have you come acrss this website? http://www.newstarget.com/ unfortunately as I'm still on dial-up, I can't access the trailers to the various cds.
    Eve

Eve, that's a great site -- thanks a million!

Zero

Quote eve View Post
    Have you come acrss this website? http://www.newstarget.com/ unfortunately as I'm still on dial-up, I can't access the trailers to the various cds.

Looks like a useful site. I am particularly interested in the "Generation Rx" piece, I have been looking at pharma scams for sometime and been wondering how many worthless pills there are in the drug market.

Thanks for posting that.

yes, a very good site! i've just read a 'big pharma' article, and also gone through the macrophotography of processed meat....not nice at all!

I don't know if anyone said this already as I didn't read every single post but here is a guy that has been fruitarian for a long time. Here is a link to his site.

http://z12.invisionfree.com/FLF/inde...showtopic=2557

He also used to post on www.veganbodybuilding.com
    I don't know if he still does.

I have been watching some of Richard Blackman's video's on Utube. The guy is amazing. He is a strict fruitarian and he has lots of good advice.

He is so right when he says that people are out of touch with their own bodies. We need to learn more about our bodies and how we treat them. We often listen to strangers about different techniques for doing raw. They don't know us or our bodies!!! As we transition and detox we can better hear what our bodies are calling for and feed it thusly.

Zero

Quote belleadonna View Post
    I have been watching some of Richard Blackman's video's on Utube. The guy is amazing. He is a strict fruitarian and he has lots of good advice.
    Yeah, Richard is awesome. He and I have very similar views on these things, where he is at is where I aspire to be. He eats nothing but fruit, drinks no water, no supplements.

I know. And look at his body. He is so healthy and fit. Doesn't look like his teeth are falling out either!!
    I wish that he would like a book about his adventure in fruitarianism!!

Zero

A good article:

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/...ruitarians.htm

Gives a great reminder that being heathly isn't just about your diet, it's about your lifestyle as a whole.

Thanks for the link. Good article.

littlewinker

fruitarians can also eat seeds, beans and nuts and anything where the plant doesn't die.

Zero

Quote littlewinker View Post
    fruitarians can also eat seeds, beans and nuts and anything where the plant doesn't die.
    It really depends on your personal feelings about it and your definition of fruitarianism, as many different ones have been coined.

Generally though, fruitarians don't consider beans part of a strict fruitarian diet, some don't eat nuts, others don't eat seeds, other than those that are in the fruit they are eating at the time.

Some say that fruitarianism is just eating fruit, others say that a high fruit diet of around 75% or more fruit is a fruitarian diet.

Fruitarians tend to at least be focused on eating primarily fresh whole fruit in it's ripened and natural state.

LuVegan15

After reading nearly all of this thread, I think I'm going to go fruitarian. But first I'm going raw vegan from July 1st until September 1st - after that I'll go fruitarian.

JC

Quote Zero View Post
    drinks no water
    How can he not drink water?

And this will probably sound really stupid, but i always thought that a fructarian was someone who ate only fruit and vegetables that hadn't been picked i.e. that had fallen naurally. Is that totally wrong? (and is it fructarian or fruitarian?)

Well eating a raw, mostly fruit diet, I could see getting away without drinking water. Most fruits are like 95% water, so you get lots of water each time you eat food!

Zero

Quote JC View Post
    And this will probably sound really stupid, but i always thought that a fructarian was someone who ate only fruit and vegetables that hadn't been picked i.e. that had fallen naurally. Is that totally wrong?
    I think thats just a tad impractical to be honest

Vegetables don't fall from the plant, only fruit does that, fruitarians eat all or mostly fruit.

Fruit is offered by the plant or tree to spread it's seed, when eating vegetables you are generally essentially eating the plant itself.

Zero

Quote Fuhzy View Post
    Well eating a raw, mostly fruit diet, I could see getting away without drinking water. Most fruits are like 95% water, so you get lots of water each time you eat food!
    Indeed, fruit contains some of the best water on the planet, distilled, plant filtered water.

JC

is the guy making some kind of statement by not drinking water? like, saying it's bad for you or something?

Zero

Quote JC View Post
    is the guy making some kind of statement by not drinking water? like, saying it's bad for you or something?
    No he just finds he doesn't need to, he listens to what his body needs

JC

ooooooh i see. thanks

Not really an environmentally practical diet for those of us in the UK.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Zero

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    Not really an environmentally practical diet for those of us in the UK.
    Well...... It depends actually there lots of different fruits that can be grown here, just not so much the exotic and high temperature variety of course.

We'd be mostly living on a diet of apples and pears (the only easy grow volume staples).
    Not that practical really. Any mass espousal of the diet would cause problems.
    I am sure that a fruitarian diet works well in Australia, for instance, since my bro-in-law is one. He grows all his own food. He has about 30 different fruits all year round.

Zero

I disagree, you wouldn't have to live on apples and pears, I don't.

You could do it if you wanted to though, there are mass amounts of berries, and various other fruit like figs and a plethora of other fruit trees like peach and apricot for example that are suitable to the UK, you can grow melons here too in the summer.

Fruit that I can't get here in the UK I get from as close as possible, spain, france etc.

Is your current diet 100% grown here in the UK?

Quote Zero View Post
    I disagree, you wouldn't have to live on apples and pears, I don't.

You could do it if you wanted to though, there are mass amounts of berries, and various other fruit like figs and a plethora of other fruit trees like peach and apricot for example that are suitable to the UK.

Fruit that I can't get here in the UK I get from as close as possible, spain, france etc.

Is your current diet 100% grown here in the UK?
    I'm talking about practicality for the masses.
    Have you tried growing peaches and apricots? Figs? Really hard. Especially to get them to fruit in any abundance.

Fwiw I do not eat imported fruit and vegetables.