Thread: Australian vegan bread???

Default Australian bread

Hi Mr Pearcore and welcome By Frenchstick I just meant a long thin bread stick like a baguette, just bigger. I am curious that you don't know them.
    The commercial Australian breads in South Australia that I consider safe are most of the Helga's range, made by Buttercup. Curiously I found that in a different state the same brand of bread I avoid in my home state is vegan friendly so always good to read labels.
    Emulsifier 471 is lecithin (I think) and sourced generally from soy - also from eggs but it is far cheaper to source it from soy - so that is what you will find in most breads. It usually says it in brackets. Thanks to food sensitivities and litigation, food labelling has come forward in leaps and bounds...
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 15th, 2005 at 07:30 PM. Reason: This thread was made out of posts from another one
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Thanks for the hint on the Helga's there Veganblue That is some info that will help me out during my Aus holiday in March!

A slice of toasted Helga's, with Nuttelex and blackberry jam. Good breakfast food

I thought Helgas was not vegan cause of the Emulsifer 471? Usually when it is soy, it says "soy lecithin" in brackets. I got told they werent vegan and from what I read on the ingredients. It would be good if it is vegan, as it is so fresh and soft. I thought it was somewhat illegal to not state the proper ingredients? I eat that Bills Bread. But Id like more of a range.
    I don't need no make-up, I've got real scars.

Unhappy Not Helga's!

This is a Vegetarian Network Victoria link that says that Helga's is no good...!

The Helga's webs site www.goodmanfielder.com.au is not helpful but has a curious information sheet about veganism but states that vegans do not eat amino acids! They might mean amino's from animal sources. I will have a look at Tiptop - the competitor....

...and they are not much help either! I think I will have to stick to making my own bread Roxy - but read the ingredients panel anyhow - though it does seem it doesn't include everything - *sigh*

Some additive pdf download links that might be handy.
    Alphabetical additivesNumerical additives

Goshsshshhhh! (Said like Napoleon Dynamite)

My Dad makes his own bread in his breadmaker machine. I think I will hit him up for a couple of vegan loaves. Sounds like it might be the safest bet.

Being the avid label reader that I am, I am sure all bread packets will be inspected.

Thanks for the links too veganblue

So most bread from Brumbies (white, wholemeal, 12 cereal, rolls, French sticks, fruit buns, etc) are vegan? Hmmmm.

Is Aussie Mite, Pro Mite?

Quote Mr Pearcore
    So most bread from Brumbies (white, wholemeal, 12 cereal, rolls, French sticks, fruit buns, etc) are vegan? Hmmmm.

Is Aussie Mite, Pro Mite?
    Don't know about Brumbies - I think it is snail mail time since they will possibly respond with a nice list of ingredients in their products.

I know the Australian Jewish community was upset when Kraft stopped indicating on the batch text of Vegemite, that that particular batch was kosher. Now there could be traces of whatever went through the machines before hand.

...I am not that fanatical. I guess if it is 99.99% Vegemite, I am not going to argue about the other bit. I wouldn't know where to begin to make my own Vegemite! I use Promite also but again not sure about Aussiemite - don't like it too much

I know this is about margarine....Nuttelex...! There, I said it! You can put some of it on your HELGA's BRAND BREAD Roxy! I just got the good news!

The makers of Helga's called me at 9 am this morning to allay my fears about Helga's being listed as not vegan by the Vegetarian Network of Victoria - and they assure me that they are vegan (phew!) for the varieties found in South Australia. There are a few that have honey but it is clearly listed.

So Roxy! if your Dad doesn't come through with the home made, most of Helga's is ok (Very pleased)

I usually buy Country Grain bread or wholemeal from Baker's Delight. I think their website lists the ingredients of the different breads...

I like Bakers Delight Cape Seed Bread. But normally I just buy Farmland wholemeal (I am poor)

So Promite is vegan? And Farmland wholemeal bread also? And Helgas IS vegan, but not sure about outside South Australia?

Sorry about all the questions.

I stopped eating Vegemite because it has Thiamin in it and something else which Id have to go look at the bottle to remember what it is, that was not vegan, or that I perceived as non-vegan. But plus, it is made by Kraft, so I dont use it. But I thought Promite, might be cool, because it says "natural ingredients" or something alike, but I read the ingredients of that also and I thought I could not eat that either?

PinkFluffyCloud

This makes me realise how lucky we are in the U.K, to have the Vegan Society's labelling, and Animal Free Shopper Guide!

Hey Mr Pearcore, I am pretty content eating Promite - it makes a nice change from Vegemite. I am not too happy about the whole Kraft situation but everyone draws the line somewhere and Vegemite falls inside mine. I would say that all yeast spreads have thiamine in them. I think it is a condition of the yeast itself but they probably add some also to make the content constant. If you are really worried I can look up sources of thiamine but suggest that it is possibly bicrobial in origin.

Not *all* of Helga's breads are vegan - but mostly. We do not get the full range here in South Australia but all one are safe. Apparently the eastern states also get a black bread which is vegan... but not available here. Maybe we will also get vegan society labelling too - Halal is certainly everywhere now.

I tried Promite the other day and

Oh, so what Helgas bread is vegan?

Sour dough, Rye, White, Wholemeal, Classic seed, Multigrain and Fruit loaf all seem pretty safe bets

Quote Mr Pearcore
    I tried Promite the other day and
    OMG I sooooooooooooo agree - and marmite is terrible

LOL - it makes for a great ingredient in stews and the like, but vegemite makes the best gravy. Add hot English mustard - very nice

LittleNellColumbia

Default bread???

howdee, fellow vegies does anyone know of australian bread companies that do vegan friendly bread??? xoxo

cross barer

Default Re: bread???

Lots of supermarket bread is vegan, there are certain ingrediants like 471 or 481 which are usually soy based but if the label doesn't mention soy then don't buy it.

Bakers delight is reported to be vegan (bread, not custard!) but I am double checking on their source for glycerine before I'll be 100%. Will post when I know for sure.

Get yourself an ingrediants list if you haven't done so already, and carry it with you when you shop. Priceless! (scroll down for list)
    If you are in Melbourne, you can pick up a little laminated business card sized one from the office of ALV cnr Russell and Victoria Sts.

Default Re: Australian vegan bread???

If you are in Melbourne, I know of some great bakeries, so let me know where you are and I will see if I can help.