Thread: replacement for cream of mushroom soup?

Default replacement for cream of mushroom soup?

I've been flipping through one of my vegetarian cookbooks that I left at my mom and dads awhile back. There are lots of yummy looking recipes, but at least half of them use cream of mushroom soup.

Do you think veggie broth with mushrooms, blended with silken tofu would do the trick?

Any other suggestions?
    It is challenging to stand as a minority; but doing so sometimes makes a hero.

Default Re: replacement for cream of mushroom soup?

heres a previous thread about this with a recipe from artichoke

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...+mushroom+soup
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Also, if I might add, DON'T BUY VEGETARIAN COOKBOOKS! They are, in general, not creative and use secretions in every recipe, as if they make items taste good. GO FOR VEGAN COOKBOOKS!
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Quote Artichoke47
    Also, if I might add, DON'T BUY VEGETARIAN COOKBOOKS! They are, in general, not creative and use secretions in every recipe, as if they make items taste good. GO FOR VEGAN COOKBOOKS!
    Artichoke47:
    I don't buy them now, it was an old cookbook here at my moms from when I was a vegetarian
    I haven't actually bought a vegan cookbook yet, there are so many good recipes online....ahhhh, the internet.
    I have heard so much about that non-cheese cookbook, I think I'll hunt it down.

Korn:

Don't beat me, I should have searched cream of mushroom soup before posting...I'm making more work for you...oops!

FR

I'd try Silk Enhanced soymilk, it is pretty thick. Silk also makes soy creamer.

I hate mushrooms, so I do not know if it will actually work out. It just seems logical that it would.

Not sure of the recipe you are looking at, but most recipes calling for cream of mushroom soup require that you used CONDENSED CANNED soup, so substituiting with a recipe for actual soup won't work (unless you somehow sit it in the fridge to condense?)

I would also add that the primary taste of canned cream of mushroom soup is SALT!

I don't know what the recipe you need it for is, but assuming you need something close to condensed canned soup, perhaps making a roux with a bit of flour, earth balance and soy creamer and then adding a bit of soy sauce for saltiness would work. then just put shrooms in the recipe seperately. If it needs to be thicker, sour cream is the same consistency as canned soup. I have not tried any of the vegan sour creams, so I can't comment on taste. Maybe a plain soy yogurt would be better - they are kinda runny though.

Can you post the recipe and let us decide from there what would be best? Thanks!

There are quite a few recipes in the book that sound good but use the soup, here is one that is quite simple (less to type in!!) that I liked:

CARROT LOAF
    1 large potato
    1 large carrot
    1 large onion
    1 c bread crumbs
    3/4 c walnuts
    1/4 c olive oil
    Dash of garlic salt and pepper
    1 can of mushroom soup
    Grate potato, carrots, onion. Add walnuts, mix in remaining ingredients. Bake in oiled casserole dish for 1 hour at 350.

**there is also another loaf that uses seitan which is quite similar to this one.

Let me know what you think!

If you use regular soup, like the recipe I posted, perhaps use less than the "can" amount and/or use more bread crumbs?

Quote Artichoke47
    If you use regular soup, like the recipe I posted, perhaps use less than the "can" amount and/or use more bread crumbs?
    Maybe I could use regular soup and add some flour? What do you think?

I would blend a block of silken tofu in the blender with a package of dried onion mushroom soup mix or veggie soup mix. You may need to add a bit of soymilk. This will look just like condensed soup, and give you that very salty taste. The added onion will go well with the recipe. Add a package of fresh mushrooms that have been sauteed and drained if you actually want mushrooms in the recipe (because there really arn't any in the condensed or dried soups).

I was just reading a recipe from the Peta site in another thread, and they recomended using Imagine Creamy Portabella Mushroom soup for a replacement in a green bean casserole. That is sold at a lot of normal grocery stores and HFS here in the states - it is in the soup aisle but in one of those asceptic cartons like soymilk. It's vegan.

www.imaginefoods.com

Where to buy (US/Canada/International) http://www.imaginefoods.com/pages/wherebuy/wherebuy.php

Quote Wildflower
    I would blend a block of silken tofu in the blender with a package of dried onion mushroom soup mix or veggie soup mix. You may need to add a bit of soymilk. This will look just like condensed soup, and give you that very salty taste. The added onion will go well with the recipe. Add a package of fresh mushrooms that have been sauteed and drained if you actually want mushrooms in the recipe (because there really arn't any in the condensed or dried soups).
    Thanks Wildflower. I think that tofu with onion soup just might do the trick, I'll try it out....man I wish I had my food processor her at my parents, I'm lost without it!

There are tons of recipes to experiment with, so I will probably use almost all of the suggestions at least once...just to see which ones work best!

Always interesting to experiment in the kitchen

Try making a roux. Aside fry some onions with mushrooms and spices and add the roux with liquid(soymilk) until its soup like.

Does that make any sense?

Roux.

margarine flour mix over stovetop
    stir until it no longer sticks to the side of the pan

Ileana

Quote veganful
    Try making a roux. Aside fry some onions with mushrooms and spices and add the roux with liquid(soymilk) until its soup like.

Does that make any sense?

Roux.

margarine flour mix over stovetop
    stir until it no longer sticks to the side of the pan

Ileana
    Makes perfect sense

I haven't had a chance to try any of the recipes yet, though I'm looking forward to it now that I have a few ideas!

Thanks