Thread: London got the Olympics

Default London got the Olympics

Ah well. I wanted Paris to get it.

Default Re: London got the Olympics

I was happy. I wanted London to get it. USA has had 2 in the past 10 years (Atlanta and Salt Lake City), trying to get NYC seemed a bit excessive.

And gee, now I have an excuse to go to London... : )

i am excited - i am going to be going to as much of it as i can , especially the paralympics.

i love athletics and am pleased that after hosting it twice when nobody else wanted to host it, we are now able to do it on our own merit.

i hope it will regenerate areas and create jobs, and im pleased to see that at last the millenium dome will be put to good use.

I was happy to hear the result for London.
    Eve

Quote eve
    I was happy to hear the result for London.
    The Parisians were well pissed off though. In response to yesterday's bombs, the mayor of Paris said 'we are all Londoners at the moment' and I was thinking, 'yeah, you wish'.

Unfortunately though, we did win. It's going to happen right in my borough- even before we won the bid local businesses were going bust as they cleared the way for the developments. Now prices are gonna rocket and I just worry about what it's going to do to us living round here.

Quote Shisha Fiend
    The Parisians were well pissed off though. In response to yesterday's bombs, the mayor of Paris said 'we are all Londoners at the moment' and I was thinking, 'yeah, you wish'.

Unfortunately though, we did win. It's going to happen right in my borough- even before we won the bid local businesses were going bust as they cleared the way for the developments. Now prices are gonna rocket and I just worry about what it's going to do to us living round here.

yes this side of winning does concern me. i heard yesterday on the radio a guy saying that compulsory purchase orders means he will have to relocate his business as where he is now is going to be the pit for the long jump or something!! i hope there can be mutually beneficial solutions all round.

Mozbee

Hopefully all the proposed constructions will still be bringing in revenue in a decades time, but who knows...

cross barer

Well, I was living in Sydney during the 2000 Olmpics (I must be the only person in that city who not only didn't go, but didn't even watch on tv!).

The whole thing was so ugly. I HATE patriotism and suffer from anxiety so I couldn't go out. The initial 2 weeks of able bodied olympics were on during my mid semester break, they took over my school and I couldn't use the library to study for my looming exams because there were IOC officials using the campus and nobody was allowed in. The final two weeks (paralympics) I had to go back to school and couldn't avoid the crowds etc... had a really bad time all round.

And now, I've moved to Melbourne just in time for next years commonwealth games!!!

Can't believe my luck. Sport is just so boring... (except AFL )

Mozbee

That stinks Adam, I detested sport at school too, you have my sympathy

Yeah, Adam, that really is so awful, I can't believe they did that to you.

cross barer

Ahhh, it wasn't that bad. After all, that's the only four consecutive weeks in sydneys history when the trains ran on time.

Kevster

'Oscar Reyes went to Athens to look at how the Olympics affected the life of the city, and found a legacy of privatization and surveillance. Back in London, he draws the lessons for the capital’s own Olympic Bid.'

http://www.redpepper.org.uk/arts/x-apr2005-reyes.htm

Apparently Athens is billions of dollars in debt as a result of the Olympics, though Sydney broke even.
    Eve