Thread: Non Vegan Step Kids...

Default Non Vegan Step Kids...

How as a step mother do I insist that no meat comes into my house?

My partner is agreable to follwing my vegan diet but when he brings his children to stay we have to have meat in the fridge.

It offends me and I hate it. How do I say no?

Default Re: Non Vegan Step Kids...

"No."

No one "has" to have meat in the fridge. Sorry. Put your foot down. It's your and your husband's house. No death allowed. Veganism is the norm. Why someone would want to eat flesh and secretions is beyond me.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

I completely agree with you but it's dificult when the mother of the kids is looking for an excuse to go psycho.

The last thing I would want to do is cause strive for my partner and more importantly the kids.

I think the older one is coming round as he has recently started asking intelligent questions about my non meat eating stance. However, it's a tricky one when the ex is just waiting to hate me and looking for an excuse to ban my other half from visitation rights.
    Quote Artichoke47
    "No."

No one "has" to have meat in the fridge. Sorry. Put your foot down. It's your and your husband's house. No death allowed. Veganism is the norm. Why someone would want to eat flesh and secretions is beyond me.

It depends what you're trying to achieve, but I would think if you answer the questions as best you can and also have delicious vegan food for yourselves that will tempt the kids, they might end up voluntarily eating your stuff.

Who prepares the meat for the kids? I'm the only one who can really cook in my house so the last time my stepkids ate meat in my house I made something really delicious for myself and they made a tasteless, dried-out chicken for themselves (okay, I cheated because they can't cook and I wouldn't help). It was the last time they asked for meat at this house.

If your stepchildren are accustomed to dried out meat then this might be difficult to pull off. By the way, the ex will find a way to dislike you if that is her goal. Perhaps you might be proud of being disliked for your kind and vegan ways?

That's a really good idea, Dianecrna (depending on a few things, like the ages of the children, I suppose).

Faced with a choice between something vegan cooked for them and something non-vegan that they have to cook themselves, a lot of people will go for the former anyway, and if the vegan food tastes better as well there's no contest.

I was very lucky with the 12 year old son of my partner. He has always lived with his dad and was brought up veggie from birth but about 5 years ago started to eat meat, when my partner lapsed after 13 yrs of being veggie.

We all live together now in rural Cumbria, and my partner is now veggie again and they are both happy to eat vegan and veggie food. They even drink the soya milk which is cool coz we dont have to get diary milk. It is up to my partners son when we are out of the house or he is if he wants to eat meat ... ok I would rather he didn't but I can't inforce that. Luckly he hates Mucdonalds as much as me hehehe!! My own son is a life time vegan of 6 and half and the one on the way will be too :0)

I think if you don't want to have meat in the house you should be strong about it. After all meat eaters can eat vegan food but vegans cant eat meateaters food. There are loads of vegan products on the market now that would totally satisfy a meat eaters diet, they may not even be able to tell the difference <grin>.

I have managed to find stuff that we all like though some things arn't vegan only veggie but we co-exist happily, and I feel I have made enough changes in their lives even to what we use around the house eg: eco vegan household products :0) and they have accepted that and I am very proud of them all :0)

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Red face Re: Non Vegan Step Kids...

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have decided that I will no longer buy meat for the kids and will tell my partner not to bring it into the house.

We have agreed that instead of making it an issue we should just serve them up vegan food.

As my partner said the other evening, last time the little one came to stay he didn't realise he was eating brocolli 'cos my partner didn't tell him and it was in a tomato sauce so he didn't notice. The week before the kid had thrown a hissy fit because he had a roast lunch with brocolli on the plate and refused to eat it.

All in the mind, perhaps!

vegandolly

Quote batearedfreak
    How as a step mother do I insist that no meat comes into my house?

My partner is agreable to follwing my vegan diet but when he brings his children to stay we have to have meat in the fridge.

It offends me and I hate it. How do I say no?
    How could you have said yes to allowing the dead flesh of innocent creatures that have died in agony and terror into your home for any other reason than to to give it a decent and respectful burial?

Vegandolly,

I believe that Batearedfreak was asking us for advice, not criticism, in this thread. I am not sure why you would post on this rather old thread that has already had the main advice given and accepted.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I have not seen Vegandolly after the major clash he had with Korn and others yesterday. I wonder whats happened to him?
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

I was not aware that vegandolly was male. Anyway, I am unaware of any major clash yesterday as I was not logged on. However, if this is the type of aggressive posting he has been doing then I am not surprised there were clashes. I seldom feel like confronting another member but I believe the previous post by Vegandolly was harsh and confrontational.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein