Thread: Co-Op bans cochineal

Thumbs up Co-Op bans cochineal

The Co-Op has banned some artificial additives, including MSG, Cochineal, Tartrazine & Sunset Yellow, from its stores:
    BBC Article

Default Re: Co-Op bans cochineal

Excellent news. Some of these I find more repulsive than the idea of eating flesh.

Ew, bugs.

I have to admit I've always found it quite satisfying that meateaters generally unwittingly are eating bugs, and its so common! They may have convinced themselves that eating meat is ok, but when they realise they've been eating bugs the reaction is classic. not that I like that people eat bugs, but you get what I mean! Yay for Co-op again tough, always one step ahead of all other supermarkets it seems
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

The classic reaction I get from meat -eaters when I explain what Cochineal and Gelatine are, is that they don't want to know cause they enjoy eating foods with it in. I used to enjoy eating sausage and egg mcmuffins, but I'm not going to eat one now cause I know where they came from. They're repulsive.

To me it is like somebody's signature on here. 'ignotance is NOT bliss'

essence_uk

Don't cheer Co-Op too much. While they lead ahead on ingredient information, animal testing-free own brand cosmetics and transparency, VIVA say they lag well behind in the way they farm "livestock". Last month saw a campaign against them regarding their unsurprisingly abhorent duck farms.

In some towns mainstream supermarkets are the only way to buy enough food. One way to change the way retailers work, is buy buying the products you want, and not those you dissagree with. They will then buy in more of what they think they will sell.

In my home town, I have seen this happening already. Last year, there was a trickle of Organic goods and Vegetarian foods, but all were selling out fast. Now they account for a much larger proportion of the shelves as they continue to get more populer. Retail sales is a natural process of evolution. The more eduvated consumers become, the less people will want things like battery chickens and the like. I would never eat meat again, but for the animals involved it is a start.

tails4wagging

Thats like when you tell folks that there is blood, gelatine and swim bladders of fish in wine, they are horrified yet they will eat meat!!

The co-op is slowly getting there.

it is sad though that they are happy in their ignorance. Like the lady I teach with who is always complaining about her weight but is happy eating McDeath 2 or more times a day!
    I must say I was shocked when I realized cochineal was bugs. Don't get me started on when I discovered what geletain was! I had been a "vegetarian" for three years, but didn't know because I hadn't done any research/reading at all. Very sad and sickening day.
    The co-op I would like to join is an hour south of me, but they are completely organic and vegan. It's a housing co-op and it looks amazing I just can't seem to find a job down there.

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Quote Helen_Edwards
    The Co-Op has banned some artificial additives, including MSG, Cochineal, Tartrazine & Sunset Yellow, from its stores:
    BBC Article
    Well this is good news!