Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A mini-note about language on the forum

Default A mini-note about language on the forum

Dear vwee-ga-bwins,
    I just got this post from one of our members:
    *Hi
    I am enjoying my residence on the vegan forum. Could you tell me specifically what the rules are on bad language? I'd appreciate a list of words that are considered to be slang yet acceptable on the forums. For instance, I am frequently reading the words 'shit', 'arse', 'crap', and sometimes the word 'twat'. I take it that these are acceptable, and I am interested to know of more so that I can make my posts more colourful without causing anxiety attacks to those who have the well-known phobia of bad language, for whom these rules are presumably made to protect. If no swearing is permitted, I will gladly become language monitor and aid in the eradication of all evil words!
    Cheers! ^_^
    There is a built in function in the board software the replaces some words with asterisks.

I've heard that some search engines looks at the content of a site, and if it finds that the site contains a lot of words like ****, **** and **** , the site will never make it to the top of the search result list.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

tails4wagging

Default Re: A little note on language on the forum

Well kornator, B....r me!!! I never swear. Not lady like!!!.

I never use ****, **** or **** either (even though I'd hardly describe myself as ladylike!). I use ****, **** and ****, they're much more descriptive and satisfying!
    A bit rattled

Oh Cal!

My father was a sailor, but still...*faints*

Someone get the smelling salts.

Default Re: A mini-note about language on the forum

Quote Korn

There is a built in function in the board software the replaces some words with asterisks.
    This happened to me the other day when I typed ******* in a post LOL It thought it was cute!

Stu

I think any cunt who is small-minded enough to be offended by swearing, can **** off.

Quote Stu
    I think any cunt who is small-minded enough to be offended by swearing, can **** off.
    I think the swear monitor software needs some lessons in words that REALLY need to be edited out
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote Stu
    I think any **** who is small-minded enough to be offended by swearing, can **** off.

Ha!
    Love it.
    All we have to do is be reeeally bad.

tails4wagging

Stu, that c word is horrible!!. But I wont ...... off!!.

Quote tails4wagging
    Stu, that c word is horrible!!
    'cal'?!
    A bit rattled

How weird is it that when I quoted Stu it blatted out the C- word?

Ha! My computer's posh! She'll not be having any of your vulgar language!

I'll try:
    Quote Stu
    I think any **** who is small-minded enough to be offended by swearing, can **** off.
    Yep, mine's posh too!
    A bit rattled

There you go then Cal, proof we're better!

Shall we take out tea in the drawing room?

Jolly good idea, Nivvie. Cucumber sandwiches cut into little triangles would be grand.
    A bit rattled

Quote Stu
    I think that anyone who uses words, such as you used, is short on vocabulary, and is lacking in respect for older people who were not raised with that sort of language. Grow up, don't just pretend to be grown up by using big boys' words.
    Eve

Stu

Quote eve
    I think that anyone who uses words, such as you used, is short on vocabulary, and is lacking in respect for older people who were not raised with that sort of language. Grow up, don't just pretend to be grown up by using big boys' words.
    Ah, nothing like a sweeping generalisation to start the day, eh?
    So anyone who uses a swear word, is implicitly short on vocabulary. Wow.

Well now it's my turn to make a sweeping generalisation. Anybody who allows themselves to be offended by meaningless swear words, must have been brought up in a cardboard box, and have no concept of reality nor priority.

My vocabulary is pretty good. More comprehensive than most, I reckon. I use swear words. They are a part of my vocabulary. If I was to censor them out of my use of the language, I would in fact be disrespecting any intelligent, free-thinking individual who reads or hears it. If anyone feels disrespected by it, then good. I have no respect for such idiots.

And I was not "raised with that sort of language". I always got in big trouble if I swore at home. But I choose to swear.
    And all this "grow up" nonsense... What in God's name is that all about? Do you have to stop swearing when you reach a certain age? No (in fact, I started). Is swearing a sign of immaturity? No (except to small-minded bigots).

Quote Stu

Just testing my 'puters poshness

something else to think about...there are youngish ones lurking.

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Stu

Well every 'youngish' person who I come into contact with, swears a hell of a lot more than your average adult.

Why on Earth do some people want to 'protect' kids from something that does not cause harm? For Christ's sake, get your priorities in order.

I love a good swear for theraputic reasons.
    I once did something awful, just terrible, at work. A stupid, sickening, pointless, messy mistake.
    It really helped my sanity to swear all the way through cleaning it up. I think I even made up some new ones.

Quote Nivvie
    I love a good swear for theraputic reasons.
    I once did something awful, just terrible, at work. A stupid, sickening, pointless, messy mistake.
    It really helped my sanity to swear all the way through cleaning it up. I think I even made up some new ones.
    Do share
    I could do with some new ones to add to my repertoire

Oh Kumen, I couldn't bear to be the one to corrupt you with my builder's bum crack mouth.

However, Roger's Thesaurus, as in Roger Mellie from Viz, is one hell of a book. I read it cover to cover and laughed myself almost to the point of incontinence.

Stu

Heh, the good old Profanisaurus. My favourite is 'Kerrangatang' - n. A large hairy heavy metal enthusiast.

The new Viz came out yesterday, incidentally.

Quote Stu
    Heh, the good old Profanisaurus.
    Just Googled it!
    A bit rattled

Quote Korn
    I've heard that some search engines looks at the content of a site, and if it finds that the site contains a lot of words like ****, **** and **** , the site will never make it to the top of the search result list.
    Hey Stu, maybe you should cut down on the swearing ...we may not stay on the top!
    It is challenging to stand as a minority; but doing so sometimes makes a hero.

tails4wagging

I never used to say the 'f' word till I met a friend 2 years ago who is always using it, now I find I use it on rare occasions when I hear of some animal abusing twat!!. Trouble is it doesnt make me feel better for using it!!.
    I would rather thump them instead!!!

I do think its a bad habit I get in at times as swearing has never come easy to me.

Stu
    Why on Earth do some people want to 'protect' kids from something that does not cause harm? For Christ's sake, get your priorities in order.
    Who's talking about kids? - as you say, "they swear a hell of a lot more than your average adult."
    Is swearing a sign of immaturity? No (except to small-minded bigots).
    Well, sorry, we'll just have to differ on that.
    Eve

The profanisaurus really has chianged my life.
    My husband insists on calling the toilet the cludgy.

I love the explanations more than the words the Jane Austen and biblical take offs are great.

Some of my favourite non-offensive ones are-

Gynaecolumnist - Any female journalist who uses her newspaper to bang on about women's things

Scumper - Someone who lays sheets of bog roll on the seat of a public toilet, so that his arse does not touch the same places as someone else's arse.

Strike up the colliery band - to produce a protracted trouser cough of a particularly musical timbre.

essence_uk

I couldn't care less about swear words and they flow from me quite naturally with regularity. Those who make a big deal about them are annoying, quibbling over words when in reality so much actual suffering is taking place beyond virtually meaningless orated syllables. It's quite comical that television has watershed and radio doesn't allow cuss words at all considering somebody is swearing outside your window or walking past everytime you venture the streets.

However I am careful to challenge speciesist language which subliminally plays down non-humans. The main one of course being the apartness of "animals" meaning any animal except the human animal and others like "cow", "bitch", "pig", "animal" all used to negatively refer to a human's poor behaviour by comparing to innocent non-humans.

essence_uk

Also in reference to posts above surely using so called cuss/swear words would mean you have a wider vocabulary (The forbidden as well as the acceptable), rather than being limited by some outdated moral code.

Stu

Quote Stu
    Quote eve
    Who's talking about kids? - as you say, "they swear a hell of a lot more than your average adult."
    Quote assilembob
    something else to think about...there are youngish ones lurking.

~Mel

Quote tails4wagging
    I never used to say the 'f' word till I met a friend 2 years ago who is always using it, now I find I use it on rare occasions when I hear of some animal abusing twat!!. Trouble is it doesnt make me feel better for using it!!.
    I would rather thump them instead!!!

I do think its a bad habit I get in at times as swearing has never come easy to me.
    BTW, what is a twat? I always thought it was a vagina.

tails4wagging

Quote Roxy
    BTW, what is a twat? I always thought it was a vagina.

Is it????. I like the word but thought it was harmless???

LOL! It could mean something different........that's just what I thought it was.

Anyone else?

twat, eh? well you are correct; although it can indeed mean a stupid person, twat is in fact another way of saying flange. or vagina, if you insist on getting technical about it.

When I was at school we always used to say that a twat was a pregnant goldfish! Might be true I dont know, but I choose to belive it. "Oi you, what ya doin ya pregnant goldfish"
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

I used to say twat when I was a kid, thinking it was just the same as twit. My Mum used to go crazy and tell me not to use that word, which made me want to use it even more. I use to run around the house shouting twat twat twat

Twat's a great multi purpose word.

Now I'm off to twat a twat in the twat.

Wow, we could have a whole twat related chat. Twat chat.

Quote pixeequeen
    When I was at school we always used to say that a twat was a pregnant goldfish! Might be true I dont know, but I choose to belive it. "Oi you, what ya doin ya pregnant goldfish"
    I was told the same thing, dam you kids making me look like a T***t, god i cant bring myself to swear on here. I must admit though that i do swear when i get angry about something/someone. And i hate to hear kids swearing, i never swear around my kids. I would die if my son swore in front of his great gran or someone who was prone to having a heart attack

Twat's a very funny sounding word I think. Think about it: Twaattt Twattytwattytwatt

twatt

hehehe
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

Before my mother left for her trip to England, my father and I enjoyed sticking the word fanny in our sentences as many times as possible. I read, though, that it actually means butt more than the original meaning now, yes? I told my dad to go around to all the shops he could find and ask for a fanny pack.

Here's a great animation about the history of the word 'F***'.

I think it's very funny but please don't click if you're likely to be offended.

http://www.theflasharchive.com/flash/f-81.swf

I've seen that before, very funny.

Hmm, I wonder how I can fit Fanny into Icelandic conversation... Djöfulls Fannyinn þinn!
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

A twat is a more polite version of the c word here...a TWIT is a stupid person!

Quote snivelingchild
    Before my mother left for her trip to England, my father and I enjoyed sticking the word fanny in our sentences as many times as possible. I read, though, that it actually means butt more than the original meaning now, yes? I told my dad to go around to all the shops he could find and ask for a fanny pack.
    That's hillarious! Fanny pack!

It's funny that something in the US can be this real polite way of saying butt, and something accross the pond can be an awful word for your not-butt area.

The british don't seem to say butt as much as they say bottom I have noticed in movies/tv shows. Is bottom considered slang? That is EXTREMELY polite here in the states.

Quote Wildflower
    The british don't seem to say butt as much as they say bottom I have noticed in movies/tv shows. Is bottom considered slang? That is EXTREMELY polite here in the states.
    Not sure about bottom being slang in the UK, but here in Oz I reckon we say bum most of the time!
    A bit rattled

tails4wagging

We say bum or bottom!!

Stu

'Arse' is the general word we use for your erm, arse.

Quote l337_v3g4n_1
    Twat's a very funny sounding word I think. Think about it: Twaattt Twattytwattytwatt

twatt

hehehe

Are you stoned?

I say butt and bum.
    Bottom is also pretty polite here. Teachers tell children to sit on their bottoms. It's just wrong though. Your feet are your bottom, and if we're just talking torso, then why aren't your shoulders your top?