Thread: What can your politician be doing?

Kevster

Default What can your politician be doing?

Please encourage them to sign it if they haven't already...

We are delighted that Mike Hancock MP has launched Early Day Motion 385 "Animal testing of drugs" in parliament on our behalf. Please ask your MP to sign this important EDM, which "calls upon the Government to facilitate an independent and transparent scientific evaluation of the use of animals as surrogate humans in drug safety testing and medical research."

The list of signatories can be viewed at:

http://edm.ais.co.uk/weblink/html/motion.html/ref=385

The link can be found at:

http://www.curedisease.net/

He's my local MP )

i've written to my MP about things like this before, and unfortunately he's not allowed to sign EDMs (i'm not sure why - i think because he's a member of a government committee). but i make sure he knows my opinion on these subjects anyway
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Kevster

Love

Angry Chase It Up

We requested she sign these things a while ago but have heard nothing back which is unusual as she has been prompt in the recent past re sending letters on our behalf to ministers re vivisection in general
    Will have to chase this one up
    With love from Love.XXX.

Kevster

Default Re: Chase It Up

EDM 92
    ANIMAL TESTING OF DRUGS

Hancock, Mike

That this House, in common with Europeans for Medical Progress, expresses its concerns regarding the safeguarding of public health through data obtained from laboratory animals, particularly in light of large numbers of serious and fatal adverse drug reactions that were not predicted by animal studies; is concerned that the Government has not commissioned or evaluated any formal research on the efficacy of animal experiments, and has no plans to do so; and, in common with 83 per cent. of general practitioners in a recent survey, calls upon the Government to facilitate an independent and transparent scientific evaluation of the use of animals as surrogate humans in drug safety testing and medical research.

It's possible to see if your MP has signed the motion already on this link:
    http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDe...px?EDMID=28280

And more info:
    http://www.curedisease.net/

It was good to see my MP has already signed it.

Default Pledge to write to your MP about EDM 98: an animal experimentation enquiry

Chris Anderson of Animal Aid has pledged to write to his/her MP about signing Early Day Motion 92 which calls for an independant enquiry into the efficacy of animal experimentation, but only if 200 other people will do the same.

So pledge your support! at:

http://www.pledgebank.com/signedm92

details of the EDM can be found at the Animal Aid and Speak websites.

Kevster

Default Re: Pledge to write to your MP about EDM 98: an animal experimentation enquiry

I wrote to my MP in the South East Anne Milton (Conservative), and she hasn't signed the EDM. She believes it is important for medical advancement that animals are used in tests, if that was the case then you would think there would be no harm in having an enquiry into the matter....

On another note (i'm kinda between houses my MP in Leeds (Labour) signed it straight away, without a letter needing to be written.

Default Re: Pledge to write to your MP about EDM 98: an animal experimentation enquiry

Well my MP is Andrew Smith (Labour), so far he hasn't signed, but i haven't heard back from him about it yet.

You're right about your tory MP, if she's convinced of the validity of animal experimentation, she should have no concerns about an enquiry! Maybe you could write and make that point!

Kevster

I have written to my Conservative MP again, in regard to still not having signed EDM 92. The list has grown somewhat; if your (probably) Conservative MP has not yet signed it, then please write to them again if necessary.

I've had a reply from Andrew Smith MP (lab) he says:

"I have writen to margaret beckett, secretarty of state for the environment, food and rural affairs to raise the issue of animal experiments and edm 92. I shall send you a copy of her reply as soon as i receive it.

My personal view is that alternatives to animal experimentation should be used wherever possible, but that there are currently cases where the only way of developing new medicines does involve some experimentation on animals, and that it would not be right to impose a blanket ban on this"

I will not let him off the hook: I shall wait till i hear what margaret beckett has to say and then i'll write again. In particular i would like to know what cases are ones where the only way of developing new medicines involves animal testing, i shall do my homework before writing to him, so that i can present a really forceful argument.

But the main point is not about a blanket ban, its about a thourough investigation into the efficacy of animal research! He has missed the point! Whether you're for or against animal experimentation surely there needs to be some assessment of it efficacy, this has never been done.

Kevster

I see he hasn't signed the EDM either, and coincidentally that is almost the exact line my Tory MP came up with, i strongly suspect it is the present Labour government position on animal experiments (their third way). If Margaret Beckett says that an independent inquiry is a good idea (and that she'll implememnt it asap) i'll become a Labour supporter, and forgive them all their crimes.

Kevster

'Chris Anderson of Animal Aid has pledged to write to his/her MP about signing Early Day Motion 92 which calls for an independant enquiry into the efficacy of animal experimentation, but only if 200 other people will do the same. '

I see Chris has surpassed the 200 mark.

Kevster

I'm still conversing with my Conservative MP to get them to sign up to this EDM.

Hmmmmmmm, it really is not complex.

Dear ...,

I take onboard your comments about EDM 92, however, there are very real concerns about the safeguarding of public health through data obtained from laboratory animals (there aren’t many, if any, drug tests carried out without the use of animals.) I firmly believe that many of the Conservative, Labour and Liberal Democrats who have thus far signed the motion are not opposed to animal testing but are concerned about the process of scientific evaluation. EDM 92 is not a condemnation of animal testing, it expresses concern, it does not even condemn the government for it’s negligible (though more than the Conservative government) investment in the three R’s. The language used in the wording of EDM 92 is to my mind neutral.

I believe you should also be concerned as the opposition party that the Labour government hasn’t commissioned an independent evaluation of animal testing as it stated it would, this is another broken promise along with many other unfulfilled pledges,

Yours sincerely,

Kevster

Kevster

Here is a little info on the Reach proposals from within the EU:

'Euro-MPs debate end to animal experimentation

12th Jul 2005

MEP unveils non-animal test strategy for new EU chemicals rules

GREEN Party Euro-MP Caroline Lucas has unveiled a package of proposals to eliminate animal tests from new EU rules governing the use of toxic chemicals in everyday products.

Dr Lucas, who has tabled 20 amendments to toxicity tests contained in the proposed REACH directive, said existing animal tests have never been validated to modern standards and, as well as being extremely cruel, are slower and more expensive than non-animal alternatives.'

http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2049

And BUAV who are currently involved with the campaign in Europe:

http://www.buav.org/campaigns/chemicals/countdown.html

I haven't look too far into this, but have written to my MEP to see what they haven't been doing, and urge anyone interested to find out more about this to do the same.

Good piece here:

http://www.eceae.org/english/chemicals.html

Kevster

'EDM 323

ANIMAL TESTING AND THE REACH CHEMICALS REGULATION PROGRAMME

Hancock, Mike

That this House is profoundly concerned by the possibility that many millions of animals could be subjected to animal testing under the European Union's proposed REACH chemicals regulation programme; notes that toxicity tests on animals cause severe suffering and distress; believes that animal-based toxicity testing does not produce results that can be reliably extrapolated to human beings and thus does not assure human safety; supports the application of non-animal test methods in combination with the prohibition of chemicals of concern under the precautionary principle; and calls upon the Government to use the forthcoming Presidency of the Council of Ministers to ensure that the Council's Common Position on REACH prioritises all possible mechanisms to eliminate animal testing from the legislation.'

Default Re: What can your politician be doing?

I have nothing of value to add i'm just posting as i haven't found another way to subscribe to a thread that interests me without posting.... So, keep it coming.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Kevster

'EDM 237

COMMERCIAL SEAL HUNTS AND THE IMPORTATION OF SEAL PRODUCTS INTO THE UK

Martlew, Eric

That this House notes with grave concern the killing of 317,672 seals in Canada's cruel commercial hunt in 2005; is appalled by the unacceptable cruelty of the hunt; notes that a team of independent veterinarians who observed the Canadian seal hunt in 2001 found that 42 per cent. of the seals skulls examined were found to have minimal or no fractures, suggesting that these animals were conscious when skinned; is concerned that the current level of killing is unsustainable for the harp seal population; further notes that trade data shows that thousands of seal skins were imported into the UK between 1995 and 2003; further notes that the US banned imports of all seal products in 1972 and that Belgium and Italy currently have initiatives to ban such trade; and calls on the Government to prohibit the import of all seal products into the UK.'

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDe...36&SESSION=875

Kevster

Here is an opportunity to write to your MP about the animal welfare bill now being debated. This bill really needs to include a ban on circus animals in the UK, so it'd be good to write to them and tell them so, there is also this Early Day Motion:

CIRCUS ANIMAL WELFARE 29.06.2005 EDM: 468

Baker, Norman
    That this House is concerned about the welfare of wild animals in circuses; notes the large body of evidence collected by the Born Free Foundation, Animal Defenders International, RSPCA and others showing that a circus environment cannot provide for the needs of wild animals, including Anne the elephant; is appalled that Anne the elephant is still being moved around the country with Bobby Roberts Super Circus even though she suffers from arthritis; asserts that it would be in her best interests to be retired from circus life; recognises that the proposed duty of care requirement cannot be met in a circus environment; and calls on the Government to introduce measures to end the use of wild animals in circuses in the forthcoming Animal Welfare Bill.

Has your MP signed?
    http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDe...85&SESSION=875

More info:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/animalrigh...692592,00.html

"What can your politician be doing?"

They could go on the Big Brother TV show and make a prat of themselves in a figure hugging red leotard, slag off vegetarians ( ), and then pretend to be a cat.

Sorry, off topic I know, but couldn't resist that one.

BTW I know George Galloway is the MP for Bow and Bethnal Green, not anywhere in Bristol...

Kevster

Default Re: What can your dictator be doing?

Here's another one:

'EDM 1704

USE OF PRIMATES IN SCIENTIFIC PROCEDURES

Drew, David

That this House notes the use of thousands of non-human primates each year in scientific procedures in the United Kingdom and across the EU; further notes that their level of sentience and highly developed social instincts make it extremely difficult to meet their behavioural needs in a laboratory setting; further notes that physical differences between human beings and other primates may make it impossible to predict reliably human outcomes from primate procedures; further notes public opposition to the use of primates; calls upon the Government to extend the current ban on the use of great apes to all primates as a matter of urgency; and further calls on the Government to press for an EU-wide ban on primate experiments as part of the impending review of European Union Directive 86/609/EEC.'

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDe...52&SESSION=875

Quote Neptunes_Girl
    "What can your politician be doing?"

They could go on the Big Brother TV show and make a prat of themselves in a figure hugging red leotard, slag off vegetarians ( ), and then pretend to be a cat.

Sorry, off topic I know, but couldn't resist that one.

BTW I know George Galloway is the MP for Bow and Bethnal Green, not anywhere in Bristol...
    ha ha! You know, they don't even need to go on big brother for that - i think it's a political past-time, i mean, they never seem to do anything constructive so what else are they doing?!?! George Galloway just gave us to much of a graphic insight into the day-to-day life of a politician... eewww

"Human Freedom, Animal Rights, One Struggle, One Fight!!"

Default Something easy we can all do to help animals

Please ask your MP to sign EDM 92. It takes just a few minutes to enter your details and send an email to your local MP
    http://www.vote4animals.org.uk/search.htm

Early Day Motion 92 asks for an independent enquiry into the scientific validity of vivisection. Many MPs have already signed but we need more to sign in order to make this happen. Please also click the links asking your MP to sign EDM 98 and EDM 1704

a didgeridoo

Default Re: Something easy we can all do to help animals

226 signatures when I last checked. If it gets 250+, it might make it on to the Today programme…

That is a great site Maisie, thanks

Unfortunately since the last election our local MP is tory. He is fiercely pro hunt/shoot/fish AND factory farming.

Here is how his last letter to us ended:

'It is clear that the anti hunting lobby has moved on to to a high profile campaign against shooting. Angling is also facing opposition from animal rights organisations. These campaigns risk further damage to the countryside. The Conservatives do not just defend but promote hunting, shooting and angling.'

I will, of course, still ask him to sign the EDM, but I think I already know what his answer will be.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

Quote Lex
    226 signatures when I last checked. If it gets 250+, it might make it on to the Today programme…
    Woohoo! theres 227 now

Does anyone know the number needed for it to actually happen?

Tiggerwoo

Done, and passed the link on so others can sign it.

Tiggerwoo

Silly question, but how do you check how many MPs have signed it?

Tiggerwoo

Thanks Maisiepaisie

Tiggerwoo

228 now!

234, we're slowly getting there

Kevster

Quote Maisiepaisie
    Does anyone know the number needed for it to actually happen?
    It has to be the top no.1 EDM to go on and properly be debated i think. Out of loads and loads. But what it does do is raise awareness and get politicians *thinking*

Oh, so in other words it ain't gonna happen

every time I email my MP Steven Byers he takes months to reply and gives me some bull s excuse or just asks some silly questions

I didnt vote today as they are all the same
    could do witha green candidate locally

this gov seem hell bent on animal testing as there is so much money in it
    I have a friend who works for the home office and I feel so sorry for her working for such a corrupt organisation.

I dont think honest ethical ppl can really survive in politics

G

Tiggerwoo

I emailed last week and as usual (as have emailed on various animal rights issues in the past) he doesn't even have the decency to get back to me to say yay or nay.

Why don't you write. Legally they are obliged to reply if you write. Well, i think - the bigger, higher up people have to atleast...
    "Human Freedom, Animal Rights, One Struggle, One Fight!!"

Quote gibby
    this gov seem hell bent on animal testing as there is so much money in it
    I have a friend who works for the home office and I feel so sorry for her working for such a corrupt organisation.
    Absolutely! I found the answers to most of my questions here http://www.bava.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ It all makes sense now.

Tiggerwoo

Quote the_red_star
    Why don't you write. Legally they are obliged to reply if you write. Well, i think - the bigger, higher up people have to atleast...
    Aha will have a go at that. Thanks

if it makes money the gov is behind it - never mind how ethical it is

we really need some good mps in the uk, but alot of the green ppl I have spoken too seem to ignore animal welfare totally

G