Thread: junkfood =D

Default junkfood =D

when u have the munchies, or a junkfood phase, what do u like to nibble on

Probably what I call "super" peanut butter & jelly. It has about 3 T. of peanut butter on it. Very good. I don't really eat junk food. If I make cookies, it's usually for a function, so I only eat one to taste and then one or two at the function. If I make a dessert dish (which isn't necessarily junk), I try to use fruity desserts and I eat one serving at a time, separate it as soon as it's done, putting some in the freezer.

I do like a kettle chip or three. See www.kettlechips.co.uk

Chocolate!!!

i love kettle chips

Aye, they rule. Rosemary and garlic, mmmmm

Chocolate, Cookies, Potato Chips..... err the more you know about what's out there... there's a lot of junky stuff. But yeh good vegan sweets...mmm Good but not good for me.

Not into junkfood, but if a desire for munchies arises, I eat peanuts - I like to sit and shell them, and munch.

Chocolate cookies

ConsciousCuisine

When my family wants a snack that is "junky" I usually make organic oven-baked fries with umeboshi vinegar and make up a decadent spread like my avo-miso spread and we eat it like a dip.

Or, I make up a big bowl of guacamole and eat it with tortilla chips on which I have melted Follow Your Heart Vegan cheese (the BEST vegan cheese in America!)

Then, of course there is Dagoba or Terra Nostra chocolate!

Oh, and Uncle Eddie's Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies!

(Not only do I know about all of the best vegan goodies because it's my job to help people enjoy veganism, but I have an 11 year-old vegan child, so I have to be really creative at home as well! My daughter, Blake says that even our "junk" foods are healthier than most people's "regular" foods!)

If we want a "healthy" junk food, or are just craving something rich, I fill dates with almond butter, eat a baby coconut or half an avocado sprinkled with nutritional yeast and umeboshi vinegar.

Brande's Avo-Miso Spread:

1 t. unpasteurized dark red miso
    1 ripe avocado
    1 T. Red Star Nutritional Yeast
    1/2 t. each onion/garlic powder (or fresh onion and garlic that has been finely minced)
    1 t. Veganaise or raw, cold pressed oil
    a dash of cayenne

mash, mix, indulge!

Smile

In Australia, we have:

- soychocolate, which my omnivore boyfriend reckons you can't tell the difference
    - Vitari, which is like a sorbet that EVERYONE loves and when I tell them it's vegan they are surprised
    - Freedom foods cookies (spicy apple, blueberry, apricot and sticky date flavours)

But I LOOOOOOOOVE dried pineapple and dried mango...and dates...they really hit the spot when I am after a sugar fix

i'm still a little addicted to 'junk' foods i'm afraid - i do love vegan pizza, chips (aka fries), burgers, chocolate, cookies, cakes, ice cream.....oooooops

i don't eat them that often, honestly!!!!

Question How often do you all eat vegan junk food?

By junkfood, I mean things like choccie, cookies, cake, fried food, ice cream, puddings and lollies (candy)

I tend to have some sort of 'junk' around twice to three times a week. I also eat out or have a not-so-healthy dinner once or twice a week (like pizza, vegan burger, something packaged/processed or refined 'white' spaghetti or white bread)

How much not 'whole' food is acceptable?
    Last edited by Korn; Oct 3rd, 2004 at 08:54 AM. Reason: This was the beginning of another thread about junk food

I have had raw, healthy cookies that I don't consider junk food two times this week. I'm not going to count those.

I probably eat cake or something similar 5-10 times a year. It varies, and sometimes it's not planned, but if Sublime in Fort Lauderdale calls my name, I will go!

How much is acceptable is up to you, Banana. You seem to eat healthy otherwise, don't you think? I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are meeting nutritional requirements, eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, and as long as you aren't thinking negative thoughts about yourself for eating such things. Then I would say don't do it unless you feel comfortable. Food should make you feel good!
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

I eat vegan cookies and that's about it. I actually would rather not eat them but I need all the calories I can get since I excercise a lot.

As you can probably see from my daily posts, I usually have a night-time snack of a vegan cookie or 2, or some vegan choc. This is probably more out of habbit than anything else. Although I do enjoy my daily sweet!

its rare that i get a craving for sweets but i used to love junkfood alot. like chips and fries. i havnt had those in a long time tho! recently ive bin eating a couple bites of soy icecream or my small peice of lime pie. its very rare for me to eat sweets! (i think it has to do with my coffee intake lately and my blood sugar levels)
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

BBQ Soy Crisps

I just discovered the carob/natural peanut butter cups from Vegan Essentials. They're awesome! Tofutti cuties are pretty good and I wasn't an icecream sandwich fan when I was omni. Tofutti Cuties have more of a vanilla taste IMO.

I'm a big fan of kettle chips as well, though I'm trying to cut back on the amount of fried food I eat. Yesterday was a rough day so I went to a local bar/restaurant for dinner and had a country-fried tofu sandwich with tater tots and onion strings for dinner. It may have been junk food, but it was also comfort food. (Or was that comfort beer?? )

ConsciousCuisine

Wow. How lucky are you to get a junky Vegan meal like that at a Bar/Restaurant?
    You can't get a Vegan meal like that where I live; Everywhere around here that I know of uses only 1 fryer where they mix all of the chicken fingers, egg-battered onion rings, fried cheese logs, chimichangas, and such with the fries, tater tots and tortilla chips even ! The only place here for a vegan to get deep-fried *anything* is to fry it themselves!

I love Tofutti Peanut Butter Cookies....I have a weakness for sweet things...soy ice cream and peanut butter and jelly, mmm...and I love to eat vegan chocolate chips too...but my favorite sweet things are dates and organic apricots. Mmmm.........now you've made me hungry for some ^_^

wuggy

I have a problem with all of the following! -
    Carrott Cake (homemade, with raisins and walnuts included), 'Just So' orange carob bars, vegan marzipan bars (can't remember who makes them but they're lovely), Holy Cow Jelly Beans, Bourbon biscuits, Whizzers, Plamil nut bars, roasted Peanuts, Swedish Glace ice-cream, and Tesco doughnuts!
    This is why I am trying to sort my diet out!
    Actually, for the last week I have eaten mainly raw, fresh foods, and have hardly missed the junk - until today cos I'm tired and feel like I'm getting the flu - so I just had 2 gingerbreads from Safeway!

Reading through these posts makes me wonder if there are any vegans on this forum who eat proper food! Nothing wrong with dates, apricots, nuts, etc - those sorts of foods are tasty but not junk.
    Eve

wuggy

One can still manage to eat a lot of 'proper' food, but some of us were brought up with junk as comfort food, and it takes a while to get away from that concept completely! I, for one, am trying, though!
    I didn't become veg or vegan for my own health - but through being vegan have discovered how valuable good, fresh foods really are.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Wow. How lucky are you to get a junky Vegan meal like that at a Bar/Restaurant?
    You can't get a Vegan meal like that where I live; Everywhere around here that I know of uses only 1 fryer where they mix all of the chicken fingers, egg-battered onion rings, fried cheese logs, chimichangas, and such with the fries, tater tots and tortilla chips even ! The only place here for a vegan to get deep-fried *anything* is to fry it themselves!
    Yeah, I realize how lucky I am in Milwaukee to have this bar/restaurant. They have omni food as well, but they keep the two kitchens (and fryers) seperate. They even have a bunch of vegan sauces you can choose from (i.e. ranch, sour cream, etc.). It's not somewhere I eat often, but it's nice to know that it's there for when I need that greasy comfort food.

not a big junk food muncher lots of nuts cashews mainly, and the odd green & blacks choc.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Quote uww27225
    Yeah, I realize how lucky I am in Milwaukee to have this bar/restaurant. They have omni food as well, but they keep the two kitchens (and fryers) seperate. They even have a bunch of vegan sauces you can choose from (i.e. ranch, sour cream, etc.). It's not somewhere I eat often, but it's nice to know that it's there for when I need that greasy comfort food.
    we have a restaurant like that here

Quote eve
    Reading through these posts makes me wonder if there are any vegans on this forum who eat proper food! Nothing wrong with dates, apricots, nuts, etc - those sorts of foods are tasty but not junk.
    Over the past few months I have become addicted to medjool dates and dried chinese red dates. I eat them as my 'junk'. Medjool dates are like little balls of caramel and chinese red dates are like eating sugar from the jar!!! (In my opinion). I have a very sweet tooth. I also love those date and coconut rolls, which are just mushed up dates rolled in coconut. I actually don't like coconut much, but you cannot taste it really. Those things (for some reason) remind me of condensed milk, but they are not in the slightest bit milky or creamy. God I love dates!!! Get them out of my pantry!!!!

I wish you'd stop mentioning dates - the last time you did, I went hunting through a bunch of stores searching for dates (unsuccessfully). Now I just have a serious date craving, with nothing to satisfy it with, dammit!
    And what are these medjool dastes you speak of? And chinese red dates? I've never seen those. Now I'm gonna have to go hunting again.. *sigh*
    No Gods, No Masters.

Quote uww27225
    Yeah, I realize how lucky I am in Milwaukee to have this bar/restaurant. They have omni food as well, but they keep the two kitchens (and fryers) seperate. They even have a bunch of vegan sauces you can choose from (i.e. ranch, sour cream, etc.).
    barging in with my first post to ask, where is this? what restaurant are you talking about? i'm dying to know... must drag omni husband there.

ALL of the above
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

chocolate chip cookies from pronto brontos.......mmmmmmmmm

Quote bluedawg
    barging in with my first post to ask, where is this? what restaurant are you talking about? i'm dying to know... must drag omni husband there.

Yes, I second that, I live in Milwaukee too.

For junk food I usually get Newman's Own Organic Fair Trade Dark chocolate. I recently discovered Green and Blacks Current Hazelnut dark chocolate too and it was HEAVEN!

Tings are a big favorite of mine and my partner's (kind of like cheetos, but made with nutritional yeast). We eat those a lot.

He is big on icecream so Soy Decadent ice cream is something we get occasionally.

Lately, I have been buying cakes from our local vegan backery - East Side Ovens. yummy!

Chips and salsa, chips and guacamole are favorites.

Trailmix or almonds are something we snack on a lot.

Stonewall's Jurquee - my dog and I love this.

I love salty, so chips are my fav junk food.

FR

Dates are healthy.

Quote FR
    Dates are healthy.
    Yes they are! - Nature's candy

Since I have come out of an ED, I am enjoying greasy Pronto Bronto meals, chocolate cake (although I am allergic to caffiene and it has very unpleasant effects - but it is worth it!). I also love cookies and sorbet and soy chocolate. I don't get it often coz it isn't exactly at my doorstep, but I am happy that I can enjoy my junk in moderation and not think that I am going to "get fat"

Oh and BTW Eve, I still eat mostly healthy food - so you don't have to be concerned that we don't eat proper food

i start on brazil nuts and dried apricots or figs and if not satisfied just head for cookies/choccie/cake

Default Re: junkfood =D

Tings are so good! They are vegan cheetos. Bur I usually eat them all in one day hehe. I've only had the original ones though

This is a very rare once in a great while treat for me, but I adore Natrually Preferred brand Balsamic and Sea Salt chips. I could eat the whole bag in one go which is why they're a rare treat for me.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

I can't find any vegan chocolate bars in the Health Food Store.. they do have them right?

That's what I've heard, yes.

There's a brand called Green & Black's that's vegan. I know their 80% dark is but I'm not sure about the others. I find this one in larger supermarkets that have a health food section.

There's another brand called Lindt. Their dark chocolate, in the white lable is vegan (I want to say it's the 70% dark variety). That one I've found in many regular stores here. It's usually with the other imported and specialty chocolates.

Chocolove is another brand that immediately comes to mind that's also vegan and there's another brand.... I can't remember the name, but they have unusual flavours like lime and chocolate (which is very good, btw).

My nearest health food store is very far from me so I'm very rarely there (which is why my memory is sketchy about vegan chocolate at the hfs). When I *am* there, I like to buy myself a couple of bug bites. They're a small square of chocolate (about 2" by 2") and they're sooo good. They taste like milk chocolate except there's no milk at all in them.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

Thanks! I know there's allot of chocolate bars at my HFS, but could never find one that was completely vegan. Wait a sec, I looked on "I Can't Believe Its Vegan" (duh!) and Chocolove Dark Chocolate bar
    Chocolove Orange Peel (Dark Chocolate Bar) are vegan

Chocolove! That's the brand! Duh, and me posting that it was called "loves" (the diaper brand ). Well I knew it had "love" in the name.

Their dark chocolate bar is to die for. I haven't had the orangepeel one, but it sounds good already (chocolate... orange.... what's not to love? ).

Went to McDonalds today, really fancied a 'veggie burger' as I had read here somewhere that they are vegan now. Got given a Quorn Burger, which I declined! They don't do veggie burgers Must have been a US post or something?

Quote Carrie
    Went to McDonalds today, really fancied a 'veggie burger' as I had read here somewhere that they are vegan now. Got given a Quorn Burger, which I declined! They don't do veggie burgers Must have been a US post or something?
    IIRC, they used to have veggie burgers at UK McDonalds but have all changed to Quorn products recently.

I've not seen McD veggieburgers advertised here in US, but I have heard that Subway in some locations have a veggie burger option (not listed on the menu) but I don't remember right off if it's vegan or not.

the veggie patty that they offer isnt vegan. it has eggs in it

Crudcakes! (pun almost intended )

I knew there was a reason why I wasn't keen on seeking the veg patty out.

*grumbles at the people who have to put chicken butt droppings in veg patties*

lucyisgood.

skittles and liquorice, only vegan lollies I can seem to find in supermarkets.

I like plain sea salt chips (red rock deli, kettle or other organic brands) and sorbet when I want to eat crap I also love vegie burgers and fries with tons of ketchup, vegan chocolate cake and oreos Oh and tropical source chocolate is amazing, but i tend to get sick from the soy in it, so I can have the rice milk chocolate . Oh I also love fat potato wedges with ketchup and Callipo frost icypoles and vanilla coke. Fuck! I never realised how much shit I like to eat

I hate eating packaged food (not that it doesn't taste good), I just feel guilty doing so. My only "junk" food is luna bars or dates.

I am hoping to try some vegan desserts over the summer - like icecream, cookies, brownies, cakes, muffins, etc. The one vegan cookie I've had was REALLY good. But if I'm going to be cooking it, I'm still not sure how they'll turn out. I'm sure vegan desserts must be pretty good a I can see many of the forumers have them in their food logs.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott