Thread: Dr. McDougall's Plan

Default Dr. McDougall's Plan

Hello Everyone!!!

This is my very first post and I feel so special right now!!! Ok, enough with the corniness... I have a question for you guys.

Do any of you follow the McDougall plan? Basically vegan foods but also takes out most fats and oil.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
    Meikmeik

Default Re: The McDougall Plan?

I hope this McDougall diet takes off and intoxicates the masses just like Atkins and the South Beach diet.

I'm sure the reduction in constipation will lower crime rates.

tails4wagging

Welcome meikmeik. I dont know enough of the McDougall plan to comment, must look it up. have you the website address??.

Eve

I've read a bit about it in 'The Food Revolution' it seems to be basically a balanced Vegan diet - i.e. a good one

i was reading reviews from people who did this. they said u werent allowed more than 10 grams of fat a day, no flour products, no soy, no nuts, and i think no oil. that doesnt sound very balanced to me.

if you want to lose weight, stick with a simple lower calorie 30 grams of fat a day plan, and exercise more.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

You are allowed flour, but whole wheat or fiber enriched flours are recommended. If you are doing the 12 Day or Weight Loss Program soy products aren't recommended since the majority of soy products have a great deal of fat. But for the most part you can have soy products, lite ones are preferred. I don't think nuts or oil are recommended though...

Meikmeik

Geoff

I just bought The McDougall Program For A Healthy Heart (Hardback, $20 from VVSQ). If I'm still here in a couple of years you'll know it works!

Quote Meikmeik
    You are allowed flour, but whole wheat or fiber enriched flours are recommended. If you are doing the 12 Day or Weight Loss Program soy products aren't recommended since the majority of soy products have a great deal of fat. But for the most part you can have soy products, lite ones are preferred. I don't think nuts or oil are recommended though...

Meikmeik
    if i couldnt have nuts, oil or tofu/soymilk id die!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Do you "mcdougall?"

I have many of the Ornish Plan books, which is a simillar diet for the reversal of heart disease. It is a very restricted - mostly vegan - diet that does allow occasional non-fat dairy products (so there is the option to be vegan or not).

You can read more about these "very low fat diets" as they are called on www.fatfree.com

http://www.fatfree.com/diets.html

John McDougall, MD
    John McDougall has two formal dietary plans that he recommends: the 12-Day Diet and the McDougal Plan for Maximum Weight Loss (MWL). Both of these plans are nearly vegan, based solely on grains, vegetables, fruits, and beans. The MWL plan is for those persons with stubborn weight problems that don't respond to the 12-day diet and severely limits consumption of grain products other than grains cooked whole -- even bread made from whole wheat is eliminated.

The Twelve-Day Diet
    Food Guidelines
    DON'T EAT:
    Milk (for cereal or cooking)
    Milk (as beverage)
    Butter
    Cheese
    Cottage cheese
    Yogurt
    Sour cream
    Ice cream
    Eggs (in cooking)
    Eggs (for eating)
    Meat, poultry, fish
    Mayonnaise
    Vegetable oils (for pans)
    Vegetable oils (in recipes)
    White rice (refined)
    White flour (refined)
    Refined and sugar-coated cereals
    Coconut
    Coffee, decaffeinated coffee, and black teas
    Colas and un-colas

NOT ALLOWED ON THE TWELVE-DAY DIET, BUT ALLOWABLE OCCASIONALLY AFTERWARD:
    These high-fat plant foods (high in natural vegetable oils) can be used occasionally and/or in small amounts after you have completed the twelve-day diet and regained your health and appearance.

Soybeans
    Soybean derivatives (tofu, tempeh, miso, high-fat soy milk)
    Nuts and nut butters
    Seeds
    Olives
    Avocado

McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss
    Foods you should eat

All whole grains and whole-grain cereals, such as brown rice, corn, oatmeal, barley, millet, and wheat berries; many packaged grain cereals, puffed grains, and other healthful cereals.
    Squashes, such as acorn, butternut, buttercup, pumpkin, and zucchini.
    Root vegetables, such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams.
    Legumes, such as peas, split peas, black-eyed peas, string beans, and such beans as chick-peas, lentils, and adzuki, navy, pinto, and black beans.
    Green and yellow vegetables, such as collard greens, broccoli, kale, mustard greens, cabbage, various types of lettuce, and watercress; celery, cauliflower, carrots, and asparagus, and tomato.
    Fruit, such as apples, bananas, berries, grapefruit, oranges, peaches, and pears. (Limited to two servings per day.)
    For most people, simple sugars, salt, and spices used sparingly at the table rather than in cooking.

Avoid the following:
    All red meat, including beef pork, and lamb. All are rich in fat, cholesterol, and other harmful constituents.
    All poultry and fish. Poultry has about the same amount of cholesterol as red meat, while fish varies, depending on the type. Some fish are higher in cholesterol than red meat, others lower.
    All dairy products, including milk, yogurt, and cheese. All are loaded with fat and cholesterol. Low-fat dairy products are not recommended because of potential health hazards, including allergies, childhood diabetes, arthritis, and lactose intolerance.
    All oil, including olive, safflower, peanut, and corn oil. Oil is simply a liquid form of fat.
    All eggs. Eggs are abundant in fat and cholesterol.
    Nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, and soybean products (including tofu, soy cheese, and soy milk). Soybean products are high in fat, unless they have been specially processed (low-fat varieties are also not recommended).
    All dried fruit and fruit juices
    All flour products, such as breads, bagels, and pretzels. The less a food is processed the better it is for weight loss. Flour products are composed of fragments of grain, or relatively small particles, which increase absorption and slow weight loss.

I'd like to try something like that, but I love avocados too much hehe
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

Me too - they took my favorite foods and put them on the don't eat list!

Nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, and soybean products

i would miss chocolate soy milk.. but i guess i could just have a tiny bit every now and then

Geoff

People with life threatening cardiac artery disease don't have the same choices.

True Geoff.

I'd like to try this now that I'm not such an avacodo freak
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

Default McDougall video

vegandrummersam brought this up in another thread and I didn't want to hijack it so I thought I'd bring it up here.
    I know that many of you have been McDougall fans for years and now I see why.
    This is the most concise and informative information on the negative impact of dairy that I've seen. Thanks so much sam, for bringing this to our attention!!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...126100&q=vegan
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

Default Re: Dr. McDougall's Plan

I would avoid that dieat totally.Obviously you will lose weight on it because you are starving your body of essential nutrients!!
    There are no quick fix,miracle cures for weight loss as much as we crave them.If people put as much effort into eating a balanced diet and exercising ,as they did in following these 'diets' then obesity wouldn't be a problem and the health side effects from these 'fads' would disappear!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Some people don't have that much time to wait though.

I eat (mostly) healthily, rarely have anything containing sugar, rarely drink alchohol and exercise at least 3 times a week for half an hour each time but I've struggled to keep my weight down my whole life. I think I'll give this a go

For the following reasons, I believe the McDougall plan is less than optimal for health:

(1) Way too focused on complex carbs -- These foods do not have high nutrient density. They are not as healthy as foods like green leafy veggies, vegetables, fruits and legumes. These foods should be the bulk of a healthy diet.

(2) Super low fat is not ideal -- While low fat eating is ok while you are losing weight, it is not ideal if you are at your goal weight. Even while you are losing weight, it is still important to get some healthy fats in the form of ground flax seeds, preformed dha, nuts, seeds and avocado. While losing weight, one to two ounces of these foods is good. These foods are essential to a healthy diet as shown by hundreds of studies, and to avoid them altogether is not congruent with the available science.

While I believe McDougall's plan to be healthier than most out there, there are far healthier ways of eating. Perhaps it is a decent transition diet, but is not the ultimate goal.

Best,
    Josh

Geoff

Dr John McDougall is running an Advanced Study Weekend in Santa Rosa, California from Sept. 29th - Oct. 1st. 2006 and all are welcome to attend.
    Doctors John McDougall, Dean Ornish and Neal Barnard will be there, among others.
    More details at:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006...eptweekend.htm

I'm booked in!

Good sperm

Cool Geoff! Let us know how it goes

I wish I could go.

Please let us know how you get on