Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Gourmet Cheese by Follow Your Heart

Default Vegan Gourmet Cheese by Follow Your Heart

Since the website doesn't list stores (only suppliers) that carry this cheese, I thought we could share where it is available here.

I am in the Midwest and haven't found it yet. I suppose I will call the suppliers that deliver to this area and ask if they supply it (as suggested by the website). There are quite a few.

Anyone else know where it is sold and at what store?

If you live near Chicago/Milwaukee - I will be wanting directions!

Talking Re: Vegan Gourmet Cheese by Follow Your Heart

nope, Wildflower, ive never seen it.

but ill keep my eye out!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Default Re: Vegan Gourmet Cheese by Follow Your Heart

thanks jj!

I live near chicago and I loveeee vegan gourmet cheese. It really does melt and the mozzerella is awesome on pizza. The only place I have seen it is at Whole Foods Market. I think there are a few in the North Suburbs of Chicago, I know there are some in the city and there are some in the Western Suburbs also. If you need exact directions I could give them to you. Hope this helps.

hey, thats one good thing about the whole foods going up on North ave. in milwaukee!

(right across the street from my fav., beans & barley)

wildflower, the store will be open by november.... i have read.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

thanks ohboysoy. I used to live in Northern Suburbs (Lake Forest), and would go to the one in Evanston as well as the People's Market (liked them better actually). I think that maybe there is one in Highland Park now too? Anyway, I head down to Evanston a lot to go to Blind Faith Cafe *yum* Also, my family lives in the north western suburbs (Crystal Lake) and does a lot of shopping at the Palatine store. I can call those 2 and see if they carry it - if not, I'll be asking you for directions!

jjdaiquiri - That wholefoods is opening up on North Ave? where abouts do you know? I know you said by B & B, but that's where the library is so I can't picture it. I work off North (to the south on the River near Water Street) about 5 mins from Beans and Barley and didn't know they had finalized a spot yet! How exciting! It will be so close to my work!

I used to work behind Outpost (on capitol) and that was trouble! Seriously, i could walk there! Ha ha, I was in there every day for lunch, groceries, more groceries after work! I was crazy in there! It has gotten so expensive though since they expanded it and now they sell "free range veal." whatever that is. Anyway, I only buy a few things there now because of the crazy pricing.

I live in St. Louis and buy Vegan Gourmet at Wild Oats Market. I don't know if you have one where you live, but if you do you should check it out. They are very overpriced, but I just buy things there that I CAN'T get anywhere else. Also, there are some vegan singles that I pick up sometimes that are made by Toffutti. They make great grilled cheese. Their vegan sour cream and cream cheese are also great, check out their web site Tofutti.com. They have a list of retailers and ingredient lists for all of their products.

wild flower, the whole foods is going to be on that corner of farwell and north. right next door to that bar LAVA.

i dont know how i feel about whole foods.

i like the selection, but i love the outpost co-op and beans and barley.

i just hope that these small buisnesses can stay afloat with a big name like whole foods around.

i work at alterra on prospect! i probably see you all the time wildflower, im always riding my bike around that neighborhood!!!
    -henry miller

I don't think WO carries the Toffuti slices, as they have hydrogenated oils in them.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Thank guys.

Hey, I used to go to the Alterra all the time when I lived on Farwell and ogden (next to Mr Shoe!) I still go there sometimes for a coffee run at work, everyone else likes Starbucks and I think their coffee sucks (tastes very burned) - Alterra coffee is awesome, and they usually have those vegan treats from East Side Ovens.

My building at work as a Coffee with a Concious, which also has pretty good coffee. But they close at like 1:30 and sometimes you just need coffee in the afternoon.

Yeah, I agree about Whole Foods vs a Coop. I really believe in Co-ops and try to support them as much as possible, but over the last few years I lean much more towards Beans and Barley than outpost. The prices are really outrageous there. Whole Foods will be the same I am sure, but if I can go there to buy a few things I need, that's cool.

Does anyone know if that Cheese is available in Northern Vermont? I am desprately trying to find cheese that does not have the cursed casin in it!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    To be great is to be misunderstood- Ralph Waldo Emerson

i think i had follow your heart block cheddar a few months ago and it was the nastiest thing i have ever tried to eat, aside from my sister's vegetarian tuna is it the "cheese" that says on the front "it really melts"?? maybe it's an aquired taste. i will attempt to try the mozz. maybe it's better. or maybe i have the brands confused. i hope so

it sounds like u had the right brand in mind...but it's strange that u thought it tasted so aweful...i think it tastes divine, maybe u had some that bad or something?
    Peace Love Surf.

i shall try it again. hopefully this time i won't gag

I tried some unmelted mozzarella while I was grating it for my pizza, and it tasted nasty. But after melting, it tasted awesome. Did you try your cheddar unmelted, or plain by itself? If so, that might be why you hated it.

Oh and to anyone in Victoria, BC, you can buy this cheese at Planet Organic, but it's called "Earth Island" Vegan Gourmet. "Follow Your Heart" is only written on the back, in tiny print giving the URL for the follow your heart website.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

They carry it at the WholeFoods in Ann Arbor.

I have some in my fridge right now.

and yeah, i dont like it plain. But its pretty good melted.

Quote mophoto
    i think i had follow your heart block cheddar a few months ago and it was the nastiest thing i have ever tried to eat, aside from my sister's vegetarian tuna is it the "cheese" that says on the front "it really melts"?? maybe it's an aquired taste. i will attempt to try the mozz. maybe it's better. or maybe i have the brands confused. i hope so
    Sprinkle some Italian style herbs on it and stick it under the broiler...then it is sooooo gooooodddddd.......

yoggy, i didnt like it unmelted either! but its heavenly when its melted.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote Wildflower
    thanks ohboysoy. I used to live in Northern Suburbs (Lake Forest), and would go to the one in Evanston as well as the People's Market (liked them better actually). I think that maybe there is one in Highland Park now too? Anyway, I head down to Evanston a lot to go to Blind Faith Cafe *yum* Also, my family lives in the north western suburbs (Crystal Lake) and does a lot of shopping at the Palatine store. I can call those 2 and see if they carry it - if not, I'll be asking you for directions!
    The Whole Foods in Evanston does carry it, but everytime I've gone they've only carried the Mozzerella flavor. For some reason, People's Market doesn't carry it at all. I was just there about a week ago, so I'm sure about that. The Whole Foods in Chicago area that has the best vegan selection in general, and always has at least 3 flavors of Vegan Gourmet is the Lakeview store at 3300 N. Ashland. It's not too far from the expressway if you exit at Belmont/California and then go east on Belmont about 2-3 miles.

Quote foxytina_69
    yoggy, i didnt like it unmelted either! but its heavenly when its melted.
    Agreed. I tried it unmelted in a sandwich once, I couldn't finish it.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

FR

I love it either way. I made veggie wraps with it chooped up in cubes the other day.

I love making cheesy garlic bread with it as well. For example, taking bread, spreading Earth Balance on it, sprinkling on some garlic powder, topping that with sliced Vegan Gourmet, and then sprinkling dried parsley on top of it. Then of course bake it a bit, mmmmmmm, divine!

I've made a mistake, in another thread, I said that Vegan Rella did not melt. Actually, I’ve never had Vegan Rella, I mistaked that for another cheese. I was referring to Soyco’s Vegan brand cheese that comes in a block. That cheese does not melt at all, but it is very good uncooked with crackers and veggies.

I never seen Soyco soy cheese. There are quite a few soy cheeses at the grocery store but all of them contain casein. A least a few brands mention the casein is from milk on the label.

FR

I plan on trying Vegan Rella soon. The block looks small, and I don't know if it is enough to make a pizza with.

A good eight years ago or so, there was this company that made hemp based vegan cheese. it was so damn good.

Vegan rella does melt and is very runny, so it turns into a lot more than expected.

I didn't personally like vegan rella raw, but when melted into mac and cheese it was OK.

I should probably try it again, I only purchased it once.

Quote violet
    The Whole Foods in Evanston does carry it, but everytime I've gone they've only carried the Mozzerella flavor. For some reason, People's Market doesn't carry it at all. I was just there about a week ago, so I'm sure about that. The Whole Foods in Chicago area that has the best vegan selection in general, and always has at least 3 flavors of Vegan Gourmet is the Lakeview store at 3300 N. Ashland. It's not too far from the expressway if you exit at Belmont/California and then go east on Belmont about 2-3 miles.

Thanks violet!

My mom bought me some a few months back, which has now expired in my fridge. She got me one of each flavor, I tried the mozarella, montery jack and cheddar. Nacho is sealed yet expired in the fridge still.

I thought that it was OK raw - tasted more like tofu than cheese really, and on a cracker it was pretty good. Texture was more like tofu too, kinda wet and spongey, not cheese like at all. It melted very well too, I just found I didn't have much of a use for it (how weird is that! ). I couldn't figure out what to do with it, since I am now so used to eating everything cheesless.

If they sold it nearer to me, I would try to make a lasagna or something with it. I wish it hadn't expired so quickly. Regular cheese lasts for years, this stuff had an expiration date of a few months. Allthough the nacho still looks perfectly fine, I may be tempted by it...I just can't let it go!

Quote mophoto
    i think i had follow your heart block cheddar a few months ago and it was the nastiest thing i have ever tried to eat, aside from my sister's vegetarian tuna

Tuno!

I like that stuff, but it is expensive. You have to wash all the crap off of it, and then it tastes good. I always put it in a seive and rinse it well, then I use it.

i love follow your heart montery jack. i live in rhode island and i got it at a little store called back to basics in east greenwich. i love it cold and i like it warm. my toddler loves it, as well.

Has anyone noticed it sort of smells like chlorine when you mircowave it?

Quote Tigerlily
    Has anyone noticed it sort of smells like chlorine when you mircowave it?
    Um...no.

i love the smell of chlorine though, so maybe I just thought it smelled good. LOL - just kidding, that smell does not go well for food. Weird.

Ive only seen Vegan Gourmet cheese at the Whole Foods in Winston-Salem, NC. I have yet to see it at one in Massachusetts - I'll have to try to seek out some new health food stores. TJs House of Pizza in Alston, MA uses it for their vegan pizzas and calzones etc. so there must be a store that sells it someplace in the area.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Seaside

Quote Wildflower
    Tuno!

I like that stuff, but it is expensive. You have to wash all the crap off of it, and then it tastes good. I always put it in a seive and rinse it well, then I use it.
    Oh, my cats get FIERCE for Tuno! It must be good if it fools cats.

That's cute.

I"ll have to give tuno a try. My girls love tuna but I've been refusing to buy it lately. They have had to get their tuna fix from their tuna flavoured food lately. I heard bad things about it but maybe those persons didn't rinse it off?

Quote Jane M
    I"ll have to give tuno a try. My girls love tuna but I've been refusing to buy it lately. They have had to get their tuna fix from their tuna flavoured food lately. I heard bad things about it but maybe those persons didn't rinse it off?
    Probably not - that is my own patented technique I can liscence to you!

I buy the canned kind - there is a fozen log style one too by the same makers (Nature's Touch/Morningstar Farms).

Quote Seaside
    Oh, my cats get FIERCE for Tuno! It must be good if it fools cats.
    I bet! The first time I tried it, I left the weird gooey crap on and made a sandwich. It was so awful I couldn't finish it - but my dog went crazy for it, so I gave it to her. She LOVED it!

Quote Wishin986
    Ive only seen Vegan Gourmet cheese at the Whole Foods in Winston-Salem, NC. I have yet to see it at one in Massachusetts - I'll have to try to seek out some new health food stores. TJs House of Pizza in Alston, MA uses it for their vegan pizzas and calzones etc. so there must be a store that sells it someplace in the area.
    I'm going to Boston next week and am planning on going to TJS House of Pizza. Is it good? what would you suggest getting??
    the dishes are done, man.

and i guess i should write about the cheese too huh? i love follow your heart cheese, but only melted. just cutting it up and eating it is gross. it does melt well, but you have to put it under the broiler to get it to really melt. I like the tofutti slices the best. i hate the rice dream cheese. one of the blocks is vegan, but it's also totally gross.
    the dishes are done, man.

Wildoats here in Tulsa sells it, but that's not really close to you. If there's a Wildoats up there then there ya go

PainterLady

I love it raw and cooked! Nachos are awesome! Pizza, devine! I even like it raw on crackers! Yummm! Wild Oats and Whole Foods sells it in Phoenix. I called Wild Oats requesting it monthly for an entire year before they finally started carrying it!!!

I am still waiting to try that cheese on pizza or a burrito because I melted it onto my spaghetti, it was heavenly. Oh if any lives near St. Louis-The Natural Way (Fenton) and Whole Foods Market (Brentwood) carries it for sure.

I have tried it on pizza a few times. It sort of melts but it still keeps it's grated shape. But once you touch it or start chewing, it melts into a cheesy blob of goodness.

I'm in Los Angeles and Whole Foods (Pasadena) and a market called the Cooportunity (Santa Monica) carry it.

There's another one on the marked called 'play food' that comes in a squeeze bottle that's pretty good (and for those of you in LA, they carry it at the Santa Monica Coop). I tried it at the Health Lifestyle Expo they had here back in July...but perhaps I should talk about this on another thread (just figured you'd want to know).
    Last edited by bexter; Jan 5th, 2007 at 06:01 AM. Reason: typo

Wow Bexter, a new vegan cheese! How exciting...i wonder how many years before it comes to my area...who makes that one?

Chamberlin's at Dr. Phillips in Orlando carries the cheddar kind, but not the mozzarella last I checked. But Love Whole Foods in Ormond Beach (near Daytona) had both kinds (this was a couple weeks ago). I haven't tried the cheddar, but the mozzarella worked great on both pizza and lasagna. Melted great and tasted just like I remember real mozzarella tasting. Soooo good.
    Celeste
    VeganSimple.com

I love this stuff. I just recently tried making pita pizzas with the mozzarella flavor, and I am in love with them! I am so thankful to have pizza back in my diet. It's soooo good!

I like the cheddar and nacho flavors right out of the package, but the mozzarella wasn't that good. Melted, though, it's the bomb!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

on my last grocery shopping trip i was happy to discover that the store had started to carry follow your heart cheese! now i don't have to go to a different store farther away to get it. i've actually only tried it once and it was very good...i used it in pasta. i'm now planning on trying it on pizzas (i agree with you rant!) and on lasagna (one of my housemates has a vegan lasagna recipe she has promised me...she's not vegan and it's her favorite, so it must be goood!).
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

stargazer

I would think that 'Wild Oats" if there is one near you should have it or "Whole Foods" otherwise any sizable health food store could inquire from their supplier and accommodate you. It is the only real Vegan cheese I know of that is as close to the real thing as can be. But best used in recipes, with proper prep can fool anyone. Not really for cheese and crackers or wine and cheese.

You can buy it at Good Earth Gourmet in Oxford, MS. I made a vegan pizza yesterday with the mozzerella and fresh made pizza dough from my bread machine - cooked it on a pizza stone. It was amazing! It melts and tastes fantastic.

Jjt

They sell this stuff at the pcc and a few other places I think around here.

There's 4 flavors but the only ones I can find are the mozzerella and the cheddar. Mozzerella definitely taste better. It does also taste better cooked, but I think the mozzerella is palitable uncooked, but the cheddar is not.

The other two flavors they have are nacho and monterey jack. I really want to try both of these. monterey especially.

This vegan cheese goes bad really really fast. If you use it better use it up within 2 or 3 days.