Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vegan Essex

Tin-Tin

Default Re: Vegan Essex

whats the shop called? i didnt catch it in the thread, so i could be wandering along for quite awhile :P

Demon

It's Gibson's Corner Shop & Deli. 222 Rainsford Road.

Heading towards town, it's on your left opposite Admirals Park, near the pedestrian crossing.

Some more info here.

Ah cheers for replying Demon, i missed that one.

Writtle College eh Tin Tin, i was a (mature) student there meself a couple of years ago, what you studying?

gib

Tin-Tin

i do landscape design
    was out today in the sun maintaining trees though
    its not really my cup of tea
    but its a damn good work out and with the added bonus of fresh air
    ive been up since 4am and i feel as fresh as ever right now =D

Aha
    I didn't notice this thread before! DId not know about Gibson's corner shop...I don't really pass Rainsford Road but may have to make a special trip after work

Demon

A few of us are setting up a group in Chelmsford called Chelmsford Animal Aid. If anyone is interested in coming along, please PM me your email address and I'll be in touch when we are going to meet.

There are 2 other active groups in Essex that I know about - Southend Animal Aid and North East Essex Vegans.

There used to be groups in Brentwood and Harlow but as far as I know they are no longer running (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Default Pot Luck in Essex

Hi - anyone fancy a Pot Luck, i'd be happy to host it and everyone brings along something raw?

I live 5 mins drive from Junction 30/31 of the M25, or 20 mins walk from Chafford Hundred rail station on the Fenchurch (London) to Southend C2C Rail line (Lakeside Shopping Centre)

PM me if you're up for it

Great food, meet like minded people, great discussion ...

RR

prilly-pie

Tin Tin, Are you still at Writtle College?

hello essex ppl...im new here..
    i live near lakeside...do u guys have 'meet ups' in essex or london?

Demon

I think the nearest groups to you are Londons Vegans http://www.londonvegans.org.uk/ and Southend Animal Aid http://www.southendanimalaid.org.uk/.

Chelmsford Animal Aid has just started as well - PM me your email address if you are interested in this one.

Quote their_voice View Post
    hello essex ppl...im new here..
    i live near lakeside...do u guys have 'meet ups' in essex or london?
    hello... we often have forum meet-ups in London, join the UK Meet-Ups group if you haven't already to find out the details
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

BlackCats

Quote gertvegan View Post
    Anyone been to A Pinch of Veg in Seven Kings, Essex yet?
    www.apinchofveg.com
    I tried this restaurant last week. We were the only people in there but it was a Monday so maybe that was why it was quiet. It is a shame as the food was really nice, they were quite small portions but it was cheap so I suppose you could try a few different dishes. The guy who owns it was helpful and explained what stuff was vegan and what wasn't. I probably will go back there.

(their voice - you should come along to a London meet-up. The London Vegan Festival is in September *hint hint*)

hi blackcats, yeh im going to the vegan festival this sunday, i have a walk for wolves in the morning in battersea park but im going to the festival after (my mum and brother will be taking my dog back home so i can go), hoping i can meet a few ppl there

Smile Vegan friendly pubs and restaurants out in the sticks of Essex!

I'm sure that many of you live "out in the sticks" where there are few vegan eateries! Just lately I've sent out copies of the vegan societies newish leaflet "vegan catering for all" to a few places that I eat at regularly, with excellent results. So, I'd like to recommend a few places to those of you in Essex who want to go out to reasonably priced places with omni friends.

1) The Coach and Horses Pub in Newport, Essex. Let them know when you book that you are vegan and you will be royally catered for! Recent meals we have had have included....Baked figs in filo pastry with red onion relish, Oyster mushroom and pearl barley rissotto with a selection of fresh veg, Spicey bean casserole with potato and onion rosti and lemon rice...all absolutely delish!
    2) Coho in Old Harlow. Again, prewarn them that you are vegan. They do a mean vegan burrito!
    3) The Eight bells in Saffron Walden. Excellent salads, rissottos, and a wonderful sun blushed tomato and red onion pollenta with relish and fresh salad.

If you go to any of these places, please feel free to mention that Gaynor recommended them. I'm not on commission, but I'd love them to know that good service means that word of mouth brings them in new custom!!!

I'd love to hear of other recommendations.
    www . purplecobwebs . co . uk
    Selling handcrafted cards & gifts to help Viva!

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Default Re: Vegan friendly pubs and restaurants out in the sticks of Essex!

Cafe Pulse in Leigh-on-sea, near to where I live. Only thing is, it's only oprn until about 9pm.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

Mmm, those sound good - too bad they're not nearer Grays where my m-in-l lives but maybe we could get up early sometime and force her to go there!

In her neck of the woods there's the Bell at Horndon-on-the-Hill, which will do a vegan lunch by prior arrangement. I've been there a few times and it's always been good to excellent. It is quite posh so best for a celebration.

Quote Crafterga View Post
    1) The Coach and Horses Pub in Newport, Essex. Let them know when you book that you are vegan and you will be royally catered for! Recent meals we have had have included....Baked figs in filo pastry with red onion relish, Oyster mushroom and pearl barley rissotto with a selection of fresh veg, Spicey bean casserole with potato and onion rosti and lemon rice...all absolutely delish!
    2) Coho in Old Harlow. Again, prewarn them that you are vegan. They do a mean vegan burrito!
    3) The Eight bells in Saffron Walden. Excellent salads, rissottos, and a wonderful sun blushed tomato and red onion pollenta with relish and fresh salad.
    Oh my goodness, I never knew that The Coach & Horses in Newport could cater for vegans I live close to Newport/Saffron Walden and Old Harlow. I have been to the Eight Bells and had artichoke risotto and also butternut squash risotto, but I was totally convinced there was parmesan in the squash one - they assured me there wasn't but it just tasted so cheesy ! I need to learn to trust more

I know what you mean with the risotto at the 8 Bells! However I went with a group of people and they actually did a veggie version and a vegan version of the risotto so I could see that mine looked different to the others!!! The veggie version had cream and parmesan in, but mine was completely dairy free. Since I sent them the vegan society leaflet they've varied the vegan options a lot more so it's not always risotto.
    www . purplecobwebs . co . uk
    Selling handcrafted cards & gifts to help Viva!

BlackCats

I just got this e-mail about a vegan friendly place in Southend.

We have just opened a coffee and shake bar in X-Isle clothing shop, Southend (Out the Back). We are offering Coffees made with both Soy & Rice Milk, we do still offer cow's milk based coffee for vegetarians so everyone is welcome.

As well as Coffee, we also offer Milkshakes, Fruit Smoothies (Non-Dairy available) and a fine selection of teas.

Furthermore, we are currently experimenting with homemade Vegan Snacks and Shakes to offer our customers and should have some on sale in the next couple of weeks.

X-Isle Shake & Coffee Bar
    22a, The Royals Shopping Centre,
    High St, Southend-On-Sea, Essex SS1 1DG

*subscribes*

Whooops!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

We visited My Kitchen this evening - where Cafe Pulse used to be.
    It's quite pricey - £4.95 for a starter, £10.50 for a main course.
    I had grilled asparagus for starter and tomato and chilli spaghetti for main.
    I thought it was overpriced, even though the main was large.
    Half the menu was vegan, the rest centred on cheese.

My food was nice, but not exceptional. I didn't find the menu choices very tempting, to be honest. Would be nice to have some pub grub type choices on the menu.

Better than my Cafe Pulse experiences, though.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

BlackCats

^ I'm supposed to be going there tomorrow.

I just got this e-mail from Southend Animal Aid.

Hi guys.

Just letting you know that I’ve been in touch with Jo, the owner of Bobby Jo’s Diner – the 50s themed diner along the Seafront just round the corner from The Kursal – about providing for us vegans. Jo has been very friendly and helpful and has got in soya milk for soya lattes, cappuccinos, soya shakes, etc. She is also currently looking into changing their menu to include Fry’s sausages (for hot dogs and breakfasts) instead of their Quorn dogs (which vegans cannot have) and Swedish Glace icecream for knickerbocker glories, sundaes and banana splits, etc. They already do a veggie burger and I have checked that their fries are cooked in vegetable oil (not animal fat). I also suggested that they do a vegan soup and Jo is going to get back to me with their newly updated more vegan friendly menu.

Adrian and I went there yesterday for a soya latte (£2.20) and curly fries (£2) – it was lovely, the staff were friendly and the 50s decor is FANTASTIC. Plus they play rock ‘n’ roll on their 50s style jukebox!!! I thought it was very reasonably priced and we will definitely be going again since they are an independently run business who are quite unique in Southend.

I would definitely recommend them. Do please pop in and mention you’re vegan!

Bobby Jo's Diner

Cool! Would definitely be up for giving that a bash, especially if they bring in the vegan sundae's and splits etc.

Cheers BlackCats.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.