Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nails

Default Flaky Fingernails.

My fingernails just don't seem to be as strong as they used to be and they seem a bit flaky on the ends.

Who can tell me what I could be deficient in and what foods I can eat to make up for that deficiancy?

Default Re: Flaky Fingernails.

Hi Roxy i don't know about specific nutrients, but my nails used to be really brittle. since becoming vegan i've noticed they're much stronger. it seems to be that i'm getting better sources of calcium, as well as magnesium and zinc - i wasn't too careful about eating those things before.

i don't know if these help but that's just what i've noticed personally.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Hi Gorilla! Thanks for the info. I was thinking it could be a calcium deficiency - but I wasn't sure.

Hope you're well

Roxy

Seaside

Hi Roxy,
    You may need silica rich foods in your diet. Almonds, oats, sunflower seeds, and strawberries are a few foods rich in silica, or you can take horsetail supplements. Horsetail is an aquatic plant, not a horse's tail!

Thanks Seaside! I have been eating some really beautiful organic strawberries lately. I will keep them up and enquire at the health food shop about the horsetail supplements

Seaside

You're welcome, Roxy! Silica is known as the "beauty mineral." It's good for hair and skin, too.
    (Mmmmm, strawberry season is here! )

Default Nails

Hi

Do any of you nutrition bods out there know anything about nails?

I have always had weak, very brittle nails. However, since going vegan, they are growing at an amazing rate and don't seem so flakey.

Just wondered why that was really. Also, they use to be very white, but they are starting to go a bit see through, but with white bits on them too, down the middle of the nail. It looks really odd and I initially wondered if it could be lack of calcium, but then surely that wouldn't explain why they seem stronger and are growing more quickly.

I have been vegan for about 1.5 months (I think). Prior to this I rarely had milk, but ate a lot of cheese. Now I am having soya milk/cream, lots of nuts and beans.

Liz

Default Re: Nails

I'm no expert but I read that white bits could be either bruising or a lack of zinc.

Like you, my nails grow very quickly but I had the opposite effect after turning vegan; my previously see-through nails are now really white and strong. I don't really know what it means if they're a bit transparent though - I was consuming milk when my nails were like that so I'm not sure if it would be a calcium deficiency.

Have found this list:

• White lines or spots can be a sign of a zinc or iron deficiency or protein deficiency.
    • Thin flat nails may indicate a B12 deficiency
    • Ridged nails may indicate an iron deficiency
    • Frequent hangnails may indicate a Vitamin C deficiency
    • Yellowish nails may indicate a B12 deficiency or may indicate diabetes, allergies, liver problems

I used to get white spots sometimes before I was vegan. I get ridges sometimes but not sure if it's a lack of iron or if it's when I've had eczema on my hands.

Stu

My flatmate swears by Sea Kelp tablets (from Holland & Barrett etc) for strong healthy nails. It stimulates the thyroid gland apparently, making your hair and nails grow quicker and stronger. Supposedly, it also makes your skin regenerate quicker and gives you more energy.

tails4wagging

Quote Stu
    My flatmate swears by Sea Kelp tablets (from Holland & Barrett etc) for strong healthy nails. It stimulates the thyroid gland apparently, making your hair and nails grow quicker and stronger. Supposedly, it also makes your skin regenerate quicker and gives you more energy.

Take extra iodine with care, as you dont want to stimulate the thyroid gland that produces enough thyroxin for your needs. As it can harm your body by stimulating the heart rate.

Try extra calcium in your diet for strong nails. White patches I was told was due to damage to the nail bed.

Quote tails4wagging
    White patches I was told was due to damage to the nail bed.
    My nails sleep in the same bed as I do!
    A bit rattled

tails4wagging

Quote Cal
    My nails sleep in the same bed as I do!

LOL . Do people who sleep on a bed of nails get 'pins and needles'?

Quote tails4wagging
    Do people who sleep on a bed of nails get 'pins and needles'?
    Well, it can be a pain in the bum/butt/bottom, that's for sure!
    A bit rattled

Quote tails4wagging
    White patches I was told was due to damage to the nail bed.
    I have always been told that white patches are a sign of zinc deficiency. If I ever get one I just take a couple of zinc with vitamin C for a few days and pay more attention to eating leafy greens, nuts and whole grains. They have to grow out of the nail and won't vanish beforehand but you won't get any more if you up your zinc intake.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Thanks for the responses guys. It's weird because they were opaque white before being vegan, but a bit see through now. Will look out for other signs of various deficiencies and remember to take my multivit.

Liz

tails4wagging

If someone has pernicious anaemia due to Vit B12 deficiency the nails go spoon shape.

Korn - perhaps you could join this thread and this thread together.

Thanks - done!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Thank you

Default Bruising and broken nails

I never used to get bruises but the last couple of months, I'd had 3. Which is very odd, since I think I only had two previously in my whole life.

And my nails have always been soft (when I was non vegan and vegan), sometimes I get a little chip and I go to smooth it out, and I can rip off the whole top part of my nail. And it's so smooth, and easy.

Could these be any signs of a vitamin deficiency?

Now, I know some people are going to post and say "If you weren't vegan, you wouldn't be asking this, so why are you asking now? You don't believe a vegan diet is healthy enough???!!!" or something like that. It's not the case. If I was non vegan and was a member of a forum with a health board, I would have posted this same message.

Gliondrach

Default Re: Bruising and broken nails

Tigerlily, bruising could be a sign of weakness in the capillaries. Various flavanoids, especially quercetin, found in berries, apples and onions, are necessary for good capillary health. A lack of vit C can also lead to easy bruising. Are you on any medication?

Nails need silica to be healthy. A good source is oats and the herb horsetail. I'm not sure how easily silica is absorbed from horsetail. There are supplements you can take for nail health. I've seen Silicol in health shops. I think it is used for stomach upsets. Not sure if it's vegan. A lack of B vits, and protein can lead to brittle or soft nails. You also need plenty of essential fatty acids.

I'm on birth control pills (for hormonal reasons, not for actual birth control).

I'll try to eat more vitamin C rich fruits and I am planning on getting some blueberries, so now I have a good reason!

My nails sometimes break and snag easily, so I just trim them down if I have trouble. I cook, do dishes, and wash my hands frequently, which dries out the nail. Use lotion to strengthen them, if you remember/have time!
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Gliondrach

Quote Tigerlily
    I'm on birth control pills (for hormonal reasons, not for actual birth control).

I'll try to eat more vitamin C rich fruits and I am planning on getting some blueberries, so now I have a good reason!
    I don't know about The Pill. I was thinking more of anti-histamines and anti-coagulants. and aspirin.

Drinking your vitamins is the fastest way to get nutrients in your body. You should try a green drink. I use earth's promise because it tastes good. It has..

more beta-carotene than a serving of raw broccoli
    more fiber than a bowl of oatmeal
    more iron than a serving of spinach
    more calcium than a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice
    more lutein than 2 servings of blueberries

It contains a lot more.
    Maybe this will help you.

Maya
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Gliondrach

That seems like good stuff.

I've seen bottles of various things in health shops but I usually don't pay much attention to them. I might have a look for something like that.

What does it taste of? Carroty? Fruity?

They have 3 differnt flavors Kiwi/Strawberry, Peppermint tea, and Elderberry.

Check out the earth's promise website for info.

Maya

Quote Gliondrach
    That seems like good stuff.

I've seen bottles of various things in health shops but I usually don't pay much attention to them. I might have a look for something like that.

What does it taste of? Carroty? Fruity?

Quote maya
    more calcium than a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice
    I didn't think OJ had much calcium. Only the calcium fortified stuff has a lot of calcium.

Anyway, I don't think I can get that brand where I live (ie: in Seafood and Meat Eaters paradise).

There is got to be a health food store were you live?? If not try another brand.
    One orange has 52.40 mg. of calcium. I try to stick to freshly squeezed OJ.

Quote Tigerlily
    I didn't think OJ had much calcium. Only the calcium fortified stuff has a lot of calcium.

Anyway, I don't think I can get that brand where I live (ie: in Seafood and Meat Eaters paradise).

If you want strong nails that grow quickly, then consume blackstrap molasses on a daily basis. That will do it.

Me with dairy: Dry, brittle, unbelievably soft nails that flaked.
    Me without dairy: Shockingly strong, fast growing nails that just grow and grow and never break

I am sure that milk depletes the body of calcium, but if other people are having the problems I had pre giving up dairy, then maybe it is more than just that.

I know that my diet has changed massively since going vegan and now I consume vast amounts of loads of different beans and eat a packet of soya nuts everyday. Maybe it is that. As Gliondrach said, lack of protein and EFA's could be the problem and soya nuts would remedy that - as I'm sure lots of nuts would.

I also drink a lot of smoothies, with spirulina.

I don't use gloves when washing dishes, cleaning or anything and I never use any kind of lotion. I never have soya milk, so I don't get extra calcium in that form.

It's not just calcium that is responsible for strong nails though is it? Does anyone have any more info on that? I have heard that zinc is also needed?

Recently, when I was trying to pull my window down, but it collapsed with a full force. I removed my hand almost in time but the window crashed on one of my fingers on my left hand. I had immense pain for a couple of days. Later I noticed that the nail on that finger died out completely and became greyish. I have cut it down from the root. But the new nail that keeps appearing seem to be greyish as well. I am planning to go to my doctor or something.

Gliondrach

Quote Kumem
    It's not just calcium that is responsible for strong nails though is it? Does anyone have any more info on that? I have heard that zinc is also needed?
    Zinc, yes. In fact, you need just about everything for nails. I think, but I'm not sure, that a sign of zinc deficiency is shown in the nails. White lines or spots.

Gliondrach

Quote Kiran
    Recently, when I was trying to pull my window down, but it collapsed with a full force. I removed my hand almost in time but the window crashed on one of my fingers on my left hand. I had immense pain for a couple of days. Later I noticed that the nail on that finger died out completely and became greyish. I have cut it down from the root. But the new nail that keeps appearing seem to be greyish as well. I am planning to go to my doctor or something.
    Yes, best to see your quack. Better sooner than later. To make sure everything is all right.

Isn't a quack a psychiatrist? Are you suggesting that Kiran losing his nail has caused psychological damage?

Gliondrach

I would never say that I think he's bonkers. I might think it but I won't say it. As far as I know, a quack is a physician. During the plague in the 17th century some of the medics of the day wore masks with long beak-like bits sticking out. Making them look like birds. These beaks were filled with herbs and smelly things, which they thought would protect them from whatever it was causing the sickness. They thought it might be some fumes in the air.

A psychoanlalyst is called a shrink. Psychiatrists might be, too.

You're right (DAMN IT). I remember seeing pics of those masks.

Quote Gliondrach
    Yes, best to see your quack. Better sooner than later. To make sure everything is all right.
    Easy buddy..Everything is gonna be alright!! It is just a finger injury.. Not AIDS!!! So I am in no big hurry.!!

Thanks though.

Quote Gliondrach
    I might think it but I won't say it.
    So you think I am bonkers aye? Yeah can't expect much after being influenced by you lot.

Gliondrach

Quote Kiran
    So you think I am bonkers aye? Yeah can't expect much after being influenced by you lot.
    I couldn't possibly comment.

Talking Re: Nails

kiran-

you say this happened recently???

i would say you just damaged the nail root...

what you are seeing is probably just the result of the nail root bruising!

id give it some time before you call the good'ol moneysuckers.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote jjdaiquiri
    kiran-

you say this happened recently???

i would say you just damaged the nail root...

what you are seeing is probably just the result of the nail root bruising!

id give it some time before you call the good'ol moneysuckers.
    Yeah it happend about 3 weeks ago. Yeah I think it is a nail root bruising. It is looking quite nasty at the moment although it is getting better. Can't say anything for the next few days.

I am an international student in England. So my medical expenses are paid by the government automatically. NHS (National Health Service covers us). So I won't be paying the doctor anything.

Geoff

Talking of nails - has anyone else seen that Young Ones episode where Rik is crucifying himself on the front of the house and Neil comes out and says something like : "It's no use man. There's no way you can get the last nail in" OMG - I laughed till I stopped!

The nail on my left thumb is looking a bit dodgy. One half of the nail (from the base) looks white and the other half seems to be transparent. The white portion seems to have progressed upwards over the last couple of days. Why is this strange colouration? Am I deficient in anything??

I hate it!!! Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Sorry, I'v just browsed the entire thread now. Quite many people seem to have this problem.. Looks like a zinc deficiency or something.. Grrrr!!!
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

I used to get white spots when I was prevegan and now I have ridges too! I really want to know what causes those ridges - they're vertical and seem to be getting more prominent. looking online it seems like it could be anything from a vitamin or mineral deficiency to aging or the onset of arthritis (unlikely, I think, as I'm only 28 and my joints are fine). the deficiencies that purportedly cause fingernail ridges and/or grooves are vitamin D, iron, B12, calcium, B6, magnesium or zinc, according to various online sources... I really don't have any idea if these people know what they're talking about. wikipedia (usually I think of as a good source of info) is the site that says vertical ridges can indicate arthritis.

I suppose the most likely minerals and vitamins to be deficient in a vegan diet (and especially a raw vegan diet) are vitamin D, B12, calcium, B6 and other B-vitamins, iron, selenium and zinc (according to the world's healthiest foods Food Advisor http://www.whfoods.org/foodadvisor.php ). I've started taking a multivitamin and we'll see in about 6 months, I guess, if this has any affect on the ridges (it takes awhile for them to grow back out).

I think I'm pretty healthy overall. Not underweight. Nor anemic (to my knowledge - although I haven't had a blood test in the past few years). I have good stamina and strength. I eat a lot of fresh produce, greens, beans and nuts everyday, so I would think I would be getting my minerals and vitamins. The only thing is that I haven't been taking a regular supplement (with B12), so maybe it's the B12... or vitamin D, since I don't always get out much in the sun.

I really want to figure this out. the ridges bother me - every time I see them or feel them, I worry that I am deficient in SOMETHING.

Quote Cherry View Post
    Have found this list:
    • White lines or spots can be a sign of a zinc or iron deficiency or protein deficiency.
    • Thin flat nails may indicate a B12 deficiency
    • Ridged nails may indicate an iron deficiency
    • Frequent hangnails may indicate a Vitamin C deficiency
    • Yellowish nails may indicate a B12 deficiency or may indicate diabetes, allergies, liver problems

I used to get white spots sometimes before I was vegan. I get ridges sometimes but not sure if it's a lack of iron or if it's when I've had eczema on my hands.

Vertical ridges can just be an effect of aging according to this:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=284566

Am staring at my own nails now and I see they have a sort of grain to them - how deep are these ridges?

Windfall

my nails are awful because im not one of those sit-still-and-be-pretty them girl, ive had nails falling off, growing out, squeezed in doors etc.

But i keep them short and always keep the varnished!

wow - you guys respond fast. this is the first time I've used this forum. a little shocked, is all.

OK I took a couple pictures, emphasizing the worst ones (and using the best lightening to accentuate the ridges).

I can definitely feel some of them.

thanks for the link!

Sara

Quote harpy View Post
    Vertical ridges can just be an effect of aging according to this:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=284566

Am staring at my own nails now and I see they have a sort of grain to them - how deep are these ridges?