Thread: Jala Neti Pot for nasal cleansing

cobweb

Thumbs up Jala Neti Pot for nasal cleansing

I often mutter on about neti pots but i really feel they deserve a thread of their own.

I bought mine a few years ago now because I was sick of having sinus problems which inevitably ended up in infections for which I had to take antibiotics which in turn made me feel awful .

The neti pot has been an absolute saviour, I use mine every day for clear sinuses (no more antibiotics atall since I began using it), and I use it twice daily when I have a cold (as now) and I find it knocks off a day or so of illness time and really speeds up recovery.

I have recommended these neti pots to people with Asthma, Hay Fever and general sinus problems, all who have tried them think they are great.

Here's a pic of the type I use, they come in various sizes and are made from different materials from ceramics through to stainless steel, like mine:

cobweb

Default Re: Jala Neti Pot for nasal cleansing

If anyone is interested, just do a Google search and you'll find places to buy online - I got mine from healthandyoga .

As your nose is a pathway to your mind the Neti is an invaluable way to keep your nasal passages and mind clear, I can really feel the difference if I forget to use mine.

I'm definitely going to invest in one soon! Last night I got sick of my partner's snoring and decided to make him try doing nasal irrigation with a syringe (not the needled type!) and some saline water... it worked wonders on him!! I did it myself too and it was weird at first, but felt really good afterwards and I don't even suffer from sinus problems!

Definitely A++ for this one

cobweb

they are fantastic, definitely a good investment!

i used to have prescribed nasal drops for my sinusitis but it isn't a problem atall now - as long as i use the neti pot.

Mahk

There are these prefabricated aerosol saline dispensers sold here that my father uses and recommends but I've never used one.

Cobweb, this do-it-yourself device looks much nicer but I'm curious: how much salt do you add to the water and can one use just normal table salt (mine is iodized, if that matters)?

cobweb

Mahk they recommend using non-iodized salt but tbh i'm not sure why. I use sea salt for everything including my neti. Fot a whole pot i put one smallish teaspoon in - if you put too little it just doesn't flow through properly, and too much stings a bit.

At the moment i have a bad sinus problem after having a nasty cold but am using my faithful neti pot twice a day and it's doing the job, all will be well again soon!.

Mahk

Thanks Cobweb. Get well soon.

I used a Neti Pot for years. It was a ceramic one. It was really beneficial and helped my breathing immmensely.

I need to get another one.

I just bought my first Neti Pot a few hours ago and am super exited to use it. The only problem is that when I got home, I realized that the only non iodized salt that I have is coarse sea salt which I would imagine won't dissolve quickly or thoroughly enough to use in my pot. Maybe I'll try dissolving some in a clear glass to see if it'll work. Yeah... that's it... I'll try that. Here goes.
    ~Brian J. Stafford~
    "The world is often ugly... but Jesus is always beautiful."

cobweb

Hope you get on well with it, Brian. I usually use just cheap table salt or sea salt which seems to work fine. I have a sinus infection at the moment because i didn't neti for about a week and have various allergies/sensitivities. Before i had my neti pot i was always getting infections, i think neti pots are fantastic!.

I saw a suggestion that nostril-washing (along with hand-washing) could reduce one's chances of catching flu. Must say the idea makes me flinch a bit - the thought of water running down your throat? - but I guess with the right technique that doesn't happen cobweb?

I've had sinus headaches and my whole face has ached this week. I'm feeling better now but I have been curious about neti pots for a few years now. I'm going to look into how to use 'em and then might buy one
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

cobweb

Quote harpy View Post
    I saw a suggestion that nostril-washing (along with hand-washing) could reduce one's chances of catching flu. Must say the idea makes me flinch a bit - the thought of water running down your throat? - but I guess with the right technique that doesn't happen cobweb?

no, it doesn't go down your throat as you have to lean forward over a sink to do it, its simple as you long as you breathe right whilst doing it

Well it turned out that there was some non-iodized table salt hidden in my cabinet, so I tried it last night. It's amazing! I'm a believer and shall do it regularly now that I have a pot.
    ~Brian J. Stafford~
    "The world is often ugly... but Jesus is always beautiful."

helen105281

I have one too and it is wonderful. I only choke when I forget to breath through my mouth. Not had it long but felt a difference straight away.

I just watched a video of how to use it and it doesn't look too hard, I think my local health food shop sells them, so I might get one this week

I found these online, but these almost look like the water would pour out the top when you tilt it?

And this place sells plastic ones, but I think I would prefer ceramic/metal.

cobweb

I love my metal one, i have a small plastic one but i don't really like it. The water doesn't come out of the top due to the angle you have to hold the pot at. I'm using mine 3 times a day just now as my sinuses got very bad due to neti-neglect and not drinking enough water, and it's slowly breaking through and making it all better.

Thanks, Cobweb

Thanks for the info. I'd never heard of these and am now keen to get one for my younger daughter who has terrible problems not being able to breath through her nose. We're just starting with some nasal spray but I think we could try these as well.

I wanted to get one of these in the fall when I had sinusitis, but I don't know how I'd get it to work since I can't blow my nose.

cobweb

i can't blow my nose most of the time, either, QM, as its the sinuses right at the top of my nose that are affected. That's exactly where the neti pot comes in really, its doing the job that your sinuses should do but perhaps can't.

I didn't learn how until I was 10, which I learned for about a week and then couldn't remember how to co-ordinate it anymore. I always just put up a tissue to my nose.

Try using twice baked Bamboo salt. It is very fine and dissolves well and you don't have to use much.

I watched the YouTube vids, and I'm sorry, but I laughed so hard I almost fell off my seat! Does it not seem a little weird when you do it at first?

cobweb

^ yes, i actually freaked out a bit at first, then laughed - and now it seems normal!

I just got one!
    I really like it.

I'm on my first week with it. I'm mostly just having a harder time making time for it in the mornings, and often at nights. I'm supposed to do it twice a day, but it's been far less.
    context is everything

Rinsing out your nose just doesn't seem natural to me . . .
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

i don't know about 'natural' but i know i wouldn't be able to wash my sinuses out, i panic getting water up my nose at the swimming pool!

cobweb

Quote Marrers View Post
    Rinsing out your nose just doesn't seem natural to me . . .

oh god you sound like my husband!!

I've never been so insulted in my life!

But actually I'm seriously interested - because it sounds similar to colonic irrigation which some people say is great and others say upsets the natural balance of the body.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

cobweb

the things is that there is so much pollution, and so many allergens about now, the sinuses have a hard time of it, and some people's just aren't up to the job. I have suffered with sinusitis since i was about 11 years old.

helen105281

Not had any problems before but today when I used my neti pot the water passing through hurt my nose. Am using it a few times a day as I have the start of a cold, not sure why it hurt though. Does anyone know why this could be? Thanks.

cobweb

sometimes it hurts if you put just a little too much - or even a bit less salt that you need. I find, for my big metal one, i need a level teaspoonful. You could mix a little bicarb of soda with it, that takes the sting out (was it a sting type hurt?)

other than that if it hurt your sinuses it maybe blockage due to oncoming cold, or maybe you are overusing it?. Personally i never use mine more than once a day unless i really feel the need, and then maybe it'll be 3 - 4 times max in any 24 hours.

helen105281

Thanks Cobweb, it was the first time I used it today that it hurt but have used it once since and was thinking of doing it again before bed. I thought it may be the quantity of salt. Will try the bicarb thing though thank you. I have noticed a difference with it, usually by now I would be feeling really rubbish and don't feel too bad at all. Bet I feel like poo in the morning though just because I have a manic day at work.

cobweb

Hope you sort it, i often splodge too much salt in when not being careful enough and then the stinging reminds me to measure the next time!.