Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nails

Default Re: Nails

i've always had ridges like that in my fingernails, and as far as i know i'm not deficient in anything, i always thought it was just the way my nails were. i'm not worried about it.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Yours look normal to me soyqueen TBH - I think the angle things are farther apart than on mine which may make it more noticeable (but means you have fewer ridges than me ).

It's the horizontal ones that seem to be more indicative of nutritional stuff according to that link, isn't it?

ETA nice cat by the way! I paged too far.
    Last edited by harpy; Sep 20th, 2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: missing word

Seriously...nails! I know they can show a lot but you shouldn't be worried about a thing unless your nails are soft and yellow and falling off. Everyone has flaws in their nails. It has nothing to do with nutrients unless you are anorexic, IMO. I had strong nails when I was eating meat and I still have strong nails as a vegan.

Actually I think I have stronger hair and nails now. Even my friend commented recently on how I have such beautiful nails. Either way, it's all in your perspective. Ridges on your nails don't mean a thing. That's just the way the grow.

You don't have to be a hypochondriac anymore! *smiles*
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

roxy, my nails were like this for the past 3 years of being vegan until i found out i was protein deficient. my nails would flake and i could peel off layers and they were soft and i could bend them down. i never related the two until i started getting enough protein and all of a sudden after a few weeks, my nails were shiny (they hadnt been shiny for years, i didnt realize that this wasnt normal) and they werent peeling and soft anymore. it was amazing. make sure to watch your protein and get enough variety of vegan proteins to get all your amino acids.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

BlackCats

My nails have been in a lot better condition since I stopped wearing nail varnish.

I do see some people wearing it and think it looks nice, especially girls or guys at concerts wearing dark colours, but I think I will keep them natural and strong.

puca

Mine have got really brittle, but only more recently (having been vegan for 2 years)....

I think it's because due to such a low food budget (some weeks was £7), I haven't afforded to feed myself as good a range of food as before.

I am kinda worried about B12. I've been told I am not getting any protein either... I am not very good at understanding the science of food!

Am gonna start with multi vitamins.

BlackCats

Default Re: Bruising and broken nails

I remember I used to have really long natural nails in 2007.

Quote Kumem View Post
    Me with dairy: Dry, brittle, unbelievably soft nails that flaked.
    Me without dairy: Shockingly strong, fast growing nails that just grow and grow and never break
    Same with me. I wear nail varnish all the time now and keep my nails really short and I have to cut them all the time.