10. Houston

And the four that aren't...
    http://www.peta.org/feat/vegcities/worst.html

#1 SIOUX FALLS, SOUTH DAKOTA
    #2 GREEN BAY, WISCONSIN
    #3 WICHITA, KANSAS
    #4 JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI

Talking Re: Peta names top 10 Veg Friendly Cities

i love to be in a state with a city named on petas worst for vegans list!

dont you wildflower!!!!

just be thankfull that we arent up north! its impossible up there.
    i stayed at my x-boyfriends cabin in minoqua one summer, and had to go to 3 grocerie stores to find even a freaking boca burger, muchless tofu.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Default Re: Peta names top 10 Veg Friendly Cities

oh yes, up north where it is beautiful and everyone lives on deermeat, cheese and beer! Ok, and maybe a few cranberries and some maple syrup!

I really like it up there, but I pack a cooler!

Actually, I heard Ashland (way up at the west corner on Lake Superior) has a big hippie/veggie community. I haven't been up there in years and the last 2 times I was, I had to go to the grocery store to buy food because nothing was open at like 5PM on a Saturday! (It was winter, and NOT hunting season) But if i remember right, my lactose intollerant friend was offered some soymilk at a little inn we stopped at for breakfast when she explained she couldn't have milk on her granola.

I wish my town would magically turn into a wonderfully vegan-friendly place with pages of options at any restauraunt you look, everyone would at least know what vegan means, and most people would respect it! *sigh*

Ah well, it's not that bad, we have a few health food stores and some places with good salad and rice.

Weird that Los Angeles, with well over 100 veg restaurants (including Orange County), is not included.

On the Coast

Hmmm, I would think that heL.A. is probably close to the top ten, along with Austin, Chicago, and Taos. I think Denver is a pretty good city for veggies also. It does give me warm fuzzies to know that SF made the top (take that Seattle and Portland), that's why I live in this area - .......

coney

I thought NYC would have to be up there. So many Asian restaurants/markets for veggie foods, and veg restaurants. Red Bamboo is supposed to be great, but I haven't been there yet.

"Ashland (way up at the west corner on Lake Superior) has a big hippie/veggie community."

Really??? Jeez, I thought Michigan was terminally addicted to meat up there in the U.P. with those pasties and all. I used to luv pasties!

sorry - reposting b/c my font was horrible.

--------

See, NY was on the list BUT I live on Long Island, NY and it's not very vegan-friendly AT ALL. I have a hard time finding any place to eat during my lunch hour at work, etc.

Wish I lived in NYC.
    :p In life & love there are no impossibilities...

Quote powder
    Weird that Los Angeles, with well over 100 veg restaurants (including Orange County), is not included.
    Yeah! Really! I wonder how they came up with the data for this poll? it has to be per capita or something. L.A. has become very veggie and vegan friendly...at least since I first became vegetarian in middle school.
    Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is!

Quote coney
    I thought NYC would have to be up there. So many Asian restaurants/markets for veggie foods, and veg restaurants. Red Bamboo is supposed to be great, but I haven't been there yet.

"Ashland (way up at the west corner on Lake Superior) has a big hippie/veggie community."

Really??? Jeez, I thought Michigan was terminally addicted to meat up there in the U.P. with those pasties and all. I used to luv pasties!
    I think they are. Ashland is on the Wisconsin side, but it is a small town with a liberal arts college that has hippie majors like environmental studies and such. So they may just have a few coffee shops that cater to vegans, but it seems like a lot since they only have 5 resturaunts in town anyway. LOL.

hey, someone altered the list If you look at the actual list on goveg or peta (just click on the link) you'll see Portland is #1, not #4. No big deal, just something I noticed since this town (Portland) is nicknamed #1 vegan friendly city in America
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous