Default Re: Peta names Top 6 Veg Friendly Cities

I live in Vancouver and Foxy's in Victoria

"you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Yay, I'm in Victoria!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Thumbs down Re: Peta names Top 6 Veg Friendly Cities

It's too bad there is none in atlantic canada.....

Alvin Carrier

I'd rather like to kick Newfoundland and PEI out of Canada for that damn seal hunt! Listen to those bureaucrats defending it, because they want to be able to say they keep their citizens employed! I bet most of them would have welcomed the Canadian legalization of slavery 200 years ago. All they care about is the economic well-being of their voters. And they could have said "If it's good enough for America . . . " But at the end of the day, I live in Alberta and our cattle industry is nothing to be proud of. You see all these bumperstickers reading "I Love Alberta Beef". In other words, Alberta is still full of hicks. Not surprisingly, country music is very big here. Hurray for country vegetarians kd lang and Carrie Underwood, but I still country music is full of savages.

I sooo wasnt surprised that Montreal (or ne Quebec place) wasnt on that list!! :P

I rarely go out to eat cuz there r only a handful of restos. I mean, i prefer to eat home cooked, but when me friends an i go out... erm, yeah!

Healthfood stores suck too for snacks and what not. But it has been gettn better! *phew
    "Stand your ground this is what we are fighting for.." -VNV

Alvin Carrier

I'd like to live in British Columbia, especially if it seceded from Canada! I'd like to ask our British Columbians here if they see any link between country music and animal cruelty. Impossible to prove, but . . . . Edmontonians have long ridiculed Calgary as a cowboy town, but Edmontonians show up in droves to watch animals being hurt in a rodeo or listen to some good ol' boy in a cowboy hat sing about cheatin' and hurtin'. I hate country music and I hope I don't offend any animal lover . . . 21,000 showed up in Edmonton to see Tim McGraw, 16,000 to see the Dixie Chicks, 14,000 just lately to see Brooks and Dunn (who?) and Garth Brooks sold out Rexall Place three straight nights. That's probably around 40,000 people or more. And Edmonton is hardly a hotbed of civility to animals. Edmonton had until lately a baseball team called the EdmontonTrappers! You see all these bumperstickers reading "I Love Alberta Beef". It's not fair to say someone is cruel to animals if he/she likes country music, but I can't help feeling country music is, per capita, full of cruel bumpkins, onstage and off. Yes, I do know that heavy metal has turned out some terrible lyrics glorifying violence. But I think these creeps are in a small (albeit loud) minority. Don't be afraid to disagree with this post. Am I being too harsh? And just how popular is country music in a more civilized city like Vancouver or Victoria?

Quote Alvin Carrier
    . . . 21,000 showed up in Edmonton to see Tim McGraw, 16,000 to see the Dixie Chicks, 14,000 just lately to see Brooks and Dunn (who?) and Garth Brooks sold out Rexall Place three straight nights. That's probably around 40,000 people or more. ?
    i like the Dixie Chics politics!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Pilaf

Quote BlueMonarch
    I sooo wasnt surprised that Montreal (or ne Quebec place) wasnt on that list!! :P

I rarely go out to eat cuz there r only a handful of restos. I mean, i prefer to eat home cooked, but when me friends an i go out... erm, yeah!

Healthfood stores suck too for snacks and what not. But it has been gettn better! *phew

One of my best friends lives in Quebec and she's a pesca-vegetarian (she still eats fish and eggs I believe). I'm gonna go meet her next year. I've been slowly getting her to come around to being a vegan. She was still a carnivore when I started talkin' to her After she got used to soymilk and tofu it's a lot easier for her. Maybe we should start "converting" Quebecers :P (kidding..or am I? ; D)

Quote Pilaf
    One of my best friends lives in Quebec and she's a pesca-vegetarian (she still eats fish and eggs I believe). I'm gonna go meet her next year. I've been slowly getting her to come around to being a vegan. She was still a carnivore when I started talkin' to her :) After she got used to soymilk and tofu it's a lot easier for her. Maybe we should start "converting" Quebecers :P (kidding..or am I? ; D)
    lmao! Cute. I think we should! :P
    I am harsh about the Quebec, but in Montreal we do now have 2 Vegan resto's (thank gawd!) and a couple Vegan friendly Vegetarian places (of course, i do not include typical asian restos from here cuz ya cant trust them! Cross contamination, whats that in my rice, and beef broth for a veggy soup! :P).

Oh, and we actually have a Vegan Bed & Breakfast!!!! XD I checked the place out, the guy running the place is really cool and the local is gorgeous. http://www.chezphilippe.info/ if ever yall wanna stay in MTL for a bit! And his prices are pretty good.

Is ur friend in MTL?

Other than the few lil Vegan places here, Quebec is slightly retarded (imo). Because they are so adamant about keepn their culture and language (which isnt a bad thing), they seem to reject everything else, and are almost completely ignorant regarding Veg/anism! K, so i am generalising, and im sure its like this in many places. But slaughter is slaughter Quebecors! Veganism isnt an Anglo thing, wake up and smell the rottn corps! :P

lol, if u do come over, that's b cool, lets hook up!

Quote BlueMonarch
    I am harsh about the Quebec, but in Montreal we do now have 2 Vegan resto's (thank gawd!) and a couple Vegan friendly Vegetarian places.

Oh, and we actually have a Vegan Bed & Breakfast!!!! XD I checked the place out, the guy running the place is really cool and the local is gorgeous. http://www.chezphilippe.info/ if ever yall wanna stay in MTL for a bit! And his prices are pretty good.
    My gf and I had a little break in Montreal last August, and we stayed at chez philippe's. Great little place, and Philippe is a tremendous host, and an excellent cook.

Commensal is a favourite restaurant, we also went to Aux Vivre and a couple other places. Montreal is a superb city. I love walking up Mont Royal on a clear day and seeing the view from the top
    "I've been very hungry, but not enough to kill" - The Clash

Quote wilson
    My gf and I had a little break in Montreal last August, and we stayed at chez philippe's. Great little place, and Philippe is a tremendous host, and an excellent cook.

Commensal is a favourite restaurant, we also went to Aux Vivre and a couple other places. Montreal is a superb city. I love walking up Mont Royal on a clear day and seeing the view from the top :)
    Hey! Awesome, u met Philippe! I believe that he's a great host, he was always so polite when he came to shop @ the health food store i werked @: Club Organic.
    The commensal is ok, looks nice, but i always end up eatn the same thang as they r more vegetarian than Vegan. But good stuff ne ways.
    Aux Vives is the Bomb!! And now there's a new place called Blue Monday, havnt had the pleasure of checkn it out yet.

And yes, Montreal is gorgeous, Quebec City even nicer. Hard 2 leave this place... *sigh, oh well. Glad u liked it ;) It certainly nice to have more Vegans here! :P

Default Re: Canada: Peta names Top 6 Veg Friendly Cities

I was just in Vancouver and Victoria and both are great places! I will be up in Canada quite a bit for a new job so it will be exciting....and it will be summertime, so a bit warmer
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

That's awesome, I'm moving to Victoria in September or if I'm delayed then I'll be there in January.
    ▼Laurin▼

cool. I will make a bunch of visits up there to meet up with Brendan Brazier and to attend the Taste of Health and just because B.C. rocks
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

Quote laurin
    That's awesome, I'm moving to Victoria in September or if I'm delayed then I'll be there in January.
    Are you moving there for school, Laurin?

Quote Roxy
    Are you moving there for school, Laurin?
    Yeah, I'm taking the Criminal Justice Program at Camosun College.
    ▼Laurin▼

Cool! I visited Victoria once, when I first came to Canada. I remember it was really pretty. Foxytina will be able to tell you more though coz she lives there

Hello. I will be visiting Vancouver soon with my non-vegetarian parents. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we might eat? I would like to go to a restaurant that caters specifically to vegans while we are there. Also, what are the best vegan-friendly restaurants that omnivorous people enjoy as well? Thanks

Hi Kaitlin

Here is a great link to get you started.

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...ver/index.html

I can definately recommend The Naam restaurant. It is a very casual vegetarian and vegan-friendly restaurant. Most nights it has live music after about 9 or 10pm, it's always busy and during the summer, they have an outdoor courtyard set up for dining. Their food is also absolutely delicious (though the service can be a bit slow).

I have taken quite a few omnivores to this restaurant and they've all really enjoyed it.

As far as omni restaurants that are vegan friendly, I would recommend The Banana Leaf restaurant.
    They have the most amazing Malaysian food. Mmmmmm! Making my mouth water, just thinking about it. Actually, I'm going there for my birthday, this Friday.

I also recommended this restaurant to Dianevegan when she was in Vancouver, and she too, enjoyed this restaurant a lot.

Thank you so much!

You're welcome I hope you enjoy Vancouver.

chefness

I'd like to see someone hunt for seals in PEI...and Newfoundland for that matter.
    The largest population of problematic seals is in Labrador...Not saying that it's right, but quite honestly if you don't educate yourself you're no better than the hunters.

I would also like to see some Atlantic Canada cities on there - what about Halifax? Holy.

^^Yeah no kidding, heehee, it's a little warm in Newfoundland for seals.
    (I probably shouldn't even get involved in this discussion, I know very little about the seal hunt...Although for what it's worth, I am from Newfoundland and I can't say I've ever seen anybody hunting seals over there...most of the people I know from back home are just as up in arms about the whole thing).

I'm so excited to see these stats, I'm hoping to move to Vancouver by next year and as long as the vegan fare is better than it is here in Calgary, I think I might be ok...:P

EDIT:
    Oh and ps, not that I'm trying to defend the political goings-on over there, but the Atlantic side of Canada has been quite...pooped upon...for as long as I can remember, and taking a step back it's not so hard to understand why they might cling to any straws they've got. When Alberta was going that glorious economic boom people were still barely scraping by back home. It's sad, and in this case, it's wrong, but that whole slavery comment was rather harsh. If we all blamed civilians for the actions of their political leaders I think we'd probably be damning ourselves, y'know?
    Last edited by LaceytheCrazy; Feb 24th, 2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Wanted to add a side note!

What happened to all the Canadians on this forum?

Winnipeg? Seriously? Can someone fill me in on what I'm missing? Okay, so they have the burger boon. But.... I would love to be better informed about what makes winnipeg vegan friendly!