Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Seitan and seitan recipes

Default Re: real seitan recipe

cool ta, i haven't tried it in years, but may have another go sometime soon. I got a load of high gluten white bread flour going cheap a few days ago.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Spelt seitan

Hi everyone

Is it possible to make seitan from spelt flour? I have read that wheat and spelt are very similar, so I assumed spelt seitan would be available. But I really can't find anything through google. Supposedly the protein in spelt is more bio-available.

Thanks, A

VeganJohn

Default Nutritional value of seitan/wheat gluten??

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone could help me here. I have several tins of 'mock duck' in the house, made from wheat gluten. I have heard that these wheat gluten products are high in protein and low in carbohydrate, although many healthy eating books say to try and avoid wheat. Gluten is also said to be rather unhealthy too.

So is it healthy to eat wheat gluten/seitan fairly regularly? Mock duck cooked in the oven and served with plum sauce is just the best thing ever :>

Any help would be much appreciated guys/gals.

Cheers.

Default Re: Nutritional value of seitan/wheat gluten??

If you do not have an allergy or intolerance to gluten, go for it! I don't think there's anything wrong with that, as long as the bulk of your diet doesn't consist of mock duck.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

It's good in a stir fry, too.

All the best fake meats are made from wheat gluten - all the Redwoods fake meats, Realeat mince, Realeat chicken style pieces.

It isn't a complete protein, though, unlike soya fake meats. It is deficient in lysine, so having a good source of lysine with it may be a good idea.
    Good sources of lysine are beans, lentils, watercress, some spices.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

FR

From my White Wave Foods box of Wheat Meat:

Serving Size = 85g - A 16 oz. box of this provides for 5 servings, but I make three per box.

Calories = 130
    Total Fat = 0%
    Sodium = 270mg or 11% of the RDA
    Carbs = 9g or 3% of the RDA
    Fiber = 3g or 12% of the RDA
    Sugar = 0%
    Protein = 24g (that's great)

Vitamin A = 0%
    Calcium = 6% of the RDA
    Iron = 4% of the RDA
    Vitamin C = 0%

There isn't any other nutritional information listed. Basically, this is a high protein food which is fat free. It is best to eat this in combination with veggies with high vitamin content.

VeganJohn

Thanks for the info!!

I am just eating dinner, not 'wheat meat' tonight but soya protein chunks, cooked in plum sauce and served with green veggies. A low fat, high protein meal after a long walk :>

I always thought Redwood stuff was soy protein based?

Nope - they may have some soy in, but they are all mostly gluten.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

misszubair

Exclamation Seitan....

HELP!

I need help making seitan. I've tried quite a few times to make it....everytime it just kinda falls apart...what am I doing wrong? I've used 2 differnt kinds of flour...but everytime...it came out bad. I was told to use "King Arthur" brand whole wheat flour....but when I wdid that...it just fell apart.

Does anyone have any advice....I'm going to be working at a Vegan Restaurant inNY very soon...but I don't even know how to make Seitan! HELP!

thanks...
    Last edited by flutterby; May 27th, 2006 at 06:28 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread.

Hi Misszubair,

You describe a common problem when making seitan from whole wheat flour. It's one of the reasons I use gluten flour with a bit of starchy flour and/or bran added. I left a recipe (post 25) but the link doesn't work anymore so you can't see the "beefy" flavored seitan. I think many vegan restaurants purchase their seitan from an outside source. I know that's the case here in Connecticut and also in Manhattan. (so you may never be asked to make seitan)

Making seitan is a bit like making bread and you need to experiment (and write down what you did!!) in order to get it just right. You can use different seasonings in the seitan and in the broth, you can simmer it on high or low for different textures, you can wrap it in cheese cloth for tubes or in loaves or in slices. You can braise it in the oven for a different texture. And the list goes on.

So I wouldn't worry about the seitan. If the restaurant makes their own, I assure you they will have a standardized recipe that they use and won't want you changing it.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I find it harder to make seiten from whole wheat....don't know why it just is. There is that moment of panic when it looks like the whole thing is disolving right in front of you. That is when you take a deep breath and just keep kneading and rinsing...it does come together...really!

DianeVegan,

I made your seitan recipe this afternoon, and it came out wonderfully! Thank you so much for the recipe. Now I just need to find some recipes in which to use the seitan.

Thanks again,
    Jennifer

Default Seitan recipes

Thought we needed a thread on seitan Here's the first recipe to get people started...

I just made this today...I had bought some bean sprouts at a health food place and was going to buy some mushrooms to put in this dish, but realized that I had some organic collards that I needed to use, hence this "thrown together" and VERY tasty dish

water
    sesame & canola oil
    two cloves garlic, minced/pressed
    dash vegan worchestire sauce
    one small bunch collards, destemmed and chopped
    8 oz. traditional (White Wave) seitan--see ingredients below if using your own freshly made seitan--chopped into bite-size peices
    5 oz. fresh mung bean sprouts

Place water (about 1/2 cup), garlic, splashes (maybe more of a swig ) of sesame oil, canola oil, and worchestire sauce in a large cast iron Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, then add chopped collards. Reduce heat to medium and allow collards to cook until about half done, then add chopped seitan and cover. Stir well and allow to cook until collards are almost done, stirring occasionally. Add bean sprouts, stirring again, and allow to cook (covered) until bean sprouts are done. Serve with brown rice. (I started the quick-cooking rice--12 minutes, then added the bean sprouts about halfway through the rice cooking time, then once the rice was done I added it to the seitan/collards mixture and stirred it up b4 serving it.)

[Sorry I'm lazy, I buy the pre-made stuff and am not good at keeping up with measurements--hence "about 1/2 cup" and "small bunch collards" ]

White wave seitan ingredients:
    Water, Wheat Gluten, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Garbanzo Bean Flour, Soy Flour, Ginger Oil, Aquaresin Garlic.
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Thumbs up Re: Seitan recipes

would also like to have folks contribute to a seitan thread?? after buying some at BVF, i think it might become my next mini obsession

here's the recipe on how to make it

Quick Homemade Gluten
    (Makes 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 pounds or 2 to 2-1/2 cups)
    This is the basic recipe for gluten.
    2 cups gluten flour
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1-1/4 cups water or vegetable stock
    3 Tablespoons lite tamari, Braggs liquid amino acids, or soy sauce
    1-3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil (optional)
    Add garlic powder and ginger to flour and stir. Mix liquids together and add to flour mixture all at once. Mix vigorously with a fork. When it forms a stiff dough knead it 10 to 15 times.
    Let the dough rest 2 to 5 minutes, then knead it a few more times. Let it rest another 15 minutes before proceeding.
    Cut gluten into 6 to 8 pieces and stretch into thin cutlets. Simmer in broth for 30 to 60 minutes

may have a bash at that at some point soon when the 'thing-in-the-jar' has gone

so, anyone who uses seitan, please feel free to pop in your recipe ideas. ty.

p.s there is also this link for the post punk kitchen..and lots of people saying they've tried making it this way and it was all succesful and and that

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=112

and this. TY to frosty for finding it.
    http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=329.0

looooads of seitan stuff to try now. no excuse peoples! unless you've got gluten intolerances etc and then you may be excused
    Last edited by emmapresley; Jun 12th, 2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add a link
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Default Re: Seitan recipes

Good luck finding gluten flour in the UK

hmmn, you obviously know something i don't.

as the experienced vegan shopper that i assume you may be, any constructive advice on where to shop in the UK to find some mr f?

Well, veganstore import it from the US and sell it at outrageously inflated prices (£20.58 per kilo! ), which doesn't really make it viable for everyday use. Flourbin sell it at £2.50 per kilo - which is still a bit of a piss take considering what it is:

Gluten flour is literally just normal wheat flour with the starch removed (apparently normal flour is 10-11.5% protein, of which 80% is gluten). You can do it by hand (creating a flour/water dough then washing it under running water till your hands go numb) but again this isn't really suitable for everyday use (unless you are unemployed or never sleep). If you think how cheap you can get flour it shouldn't cost a lot more than £1 per kilo.

It's useful in bread making, but supermarkets just sell high gluten content wheat flour (with too much starch in for seiten - apparently it's ony 15% protein). Some health food shops apparently sell it (so i'm told, but no one has ever produced any evidence) but I haven't personally seen it in 7 years of looking. Most health food stores are so geared up for celiacs compared to people wanting to eat healthy food that they think you're taking the piss when you ask for pure gluten.

When you've run out of seiten though you'll find that mock duck that has come in can from most health food stores for at least 7 years is basically seiten.

Heyho EmmaP,
    They have gluten free brown bread flour on ebay for about £8. My cooking skillage is very limited, could you use this stuff?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Doves-Farm-Glu...QQcmdZViewItem

Frosty x
    I like football. And potatoes.

hehehe..nooo silly!!
    it doesn't want to be gluten FREE!

but thanks for finding the thingy on ebay!

free gluten? where?

I've had some nice gluten canned with chinese mushrooms before from soho in London. Very very odd looking but tasty sort of.

tee hee, I misread in my haste!
    I like football. And potatoes.

Default Seitan using non-gluten flour

There is a receipe in the Candle Cafe Cookbook which doesn't use gluten flour. It uses equal measures of wholewheat bread flour and white flour.

As it's expensive, and a pain to get hold of gluten flour (healthfood shop lady "no dear, we have gluten-free flour. are you sure that's not what you need dear?") I was going to give this recipe a go.

Has anyone made it seitan with non gluten flour?

Everytime I say seitan ... my husband starts singing "Satan, Satan, Satan" by Orbital. It's terribly amusing. But beginning to wear thin now.

Default Re: Seitan using non-gluten flour

Whenever I make seitan, I always make it using regular plain wheat flour. Gluten flour is way too expensive and hard to get around here. I like to put some spice into the flour before adding the water and making the dough; stuff like cayenne, garlic powder and paprika powder. Anything that is full of taste works, since you'll be washing a lot of it out again.

For those who understand Swedish (or anyone who is happy by just looking at the pictures) and want to try to make their own seitan without using gluten powder, this guide is great. I would, however, recommend that you for two people use more than 10 deciliters of flour (~12 or so) but then again, I might just be a big fan of seitan.

I made seiten from scratch when I first turned vegan. Never again, far too much hassle, not to mention water wastage.

the thing-in-the-jar is still in the cupboard....i'm working my way up to recreating that recipe i sampled at bvf..

i bought mock duck..the granose stuff a few weeks a go to try..pretty manky imo.

i was initially all excited about seitan..but i don't think it's for me

Seitan is amazing, but a lot like tofu it's very easy to prepare it very badly. Reserve judgement until you've had it in a restuarant

righty-ho flibster..so heating it up in the microwave wasn't a great move then?

Default Seitan - how long does it last?

Hello-
    I buy seitan from Wild Oats and it comes in a sealed container in liquid like tofu. It does not, however, have an expiration date on it - which tofu does.
    Thus, I have a few questions that I am having trouble finding answers for:

How long will the seitan last in the fridge, unopened?
    How long will the seitan last in the fridge opened? Like tofu, does it need to be kept under fresh water?
    Can you freeze seitan?

Thank you!

pavotrouge

Default Re: Seitan - how long does it last?

what consistency has your seitan? are there firm strips, or is it more like a fluffy ("brainy") mass?

If I make seitan myself, it stays good (either baked and wrapped in foil or in liquid), it stays good for about a week.

Freezing shouldn't be a problem but I'm not sure about the liquid it comes with.
    Strange...

ive only tried the seitan i make myself and its last for abou 5 days (but I eat it very fast )
    But I would recon that yours would last much longer since its in a sealed container

frazzmunch

i

frazzmunch

i make my own too and it never lasts long enough to worry about storage times but i have read in several books that seitan is fine to freeze...i would think that as it comes packaged in fluid you should just freeze it in its original packaging.....

RubyDuby

Default homemade seitan

I absolutely love seitan when I order it out at restaurants.

I searched through the threads but can't really find a recipe for making delicious seitan at home. I've made seitan from scratch and from a box (instant vital wheat gluten) but both turned out rubbery and well, disgusting.

Does anybody have any tips or tricks (secret ingredient to de-rubberize it or a certain way of prepping it) to make a tender and delicious seitan at home?
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Default Re: homemade seitan

I've never made homemade seitan, but there's a recipe for it on page 284 of "La Dolce Vegan". Though maybe the recipe is the same as the one you've already tried that came out rubbery....but I thought I'd mention it in case it's not. Good luck
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

RubyDuby

thanks! I'll check it out.

We're planning on moving away from the city soon and I'm worried about those grilled seitan sandwich cravings!

I really want to try this one (just need to find a supply of vital wheat gluten that isn't obscenely expensive - which is quite hard to do here in the UK), people over at the ppk absolutely rave about it so maybe it's worth a go!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

the recipe in vegan with a vengance is good! (p. 157-8)

it says that if you remove the sietan from the broth after its done cooking, instead of letting it cool in the broth, it will be softer, less firm.

the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I really don't know why we don't have seitan in the UK - or do we and I've missed it? Just back from New York and basically lived off the stuff when eating out. My o/h is also a huge fan and says I should open a vegan restaurant here serving seitan - lol.

I want to try making it here - o/h is veggie not vegan and eats a lot of quorn but would prefer seitan if I could make it right. Where do you find your wheat gluten Poison Ivy? I remember trying to find it many years back (to make Vegecat, the vegan cat food recipes) but was unsuccessful in my search.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

The cheapest supplier of food grade vital gluten that I've found in the UK is in this thread:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5559

Veganstore sell (not checked recently) it in boxes imported from the US for silly money.

Seiten is extremely common in the UK, but not in it's pure form; mixed with soy protein and others. Redwoods for example use wheat protein in a lot of their stuff.

Joi/Tai chain restuarants in London sell lots of seiten dishes. The last time I was in one (Joi on Percy Street) they were selling freeze dried seiten in freezer bags at reasonable prices. I had a nice chat with (who i assume to be) the manager (who unlike most of the other staff speaks good english) who gave me cooking tips.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I really don't know why we don't have seitan in the UK - or do we and I've missed it? Just back from New York and basically lived off the stuff when eating out. My o/h is also a huge fan and says I should open a vegan restaurant here serving seitan - lol.

I want to try making it here - o/h is veggie not vegan and eats a lot of quorn but would prefer seitan if I could make it right. Where do you find your wheat gluten Poison Ivy? I remember trying to find it many years back (to make Vegecat, the vegan cat food recipes) but was unsuccessful in my search.
    Most Chinese supermarkets will sell it as mock duck,mock chicken etc.
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Did you have a good time in New York, Marrers?

Fresh & Wild sell seitan in sort of luncheon-meat type slices but it's not that appealing like that IMO. The mock duck in tins is somewhat preferable - H&B often sell that, as well as the Chinese places mentioned by gogs.

I did make my own once using (I think) 00 flour from an Italian shop, and a recipe that I can't find at the moment. The results were OK but the process of washing the dough put years on me (I'm only 18 really ).

I had a great time thanks Harpy. I love the tinned braised seitan /mock duck but am not so keen on the mock meat stuff they serve at the chinese buffets like Tai.

Somehow the seitan-esque things here really don't seem as good as much of the stuff you get in NY, esp in Red Bamboo. That is the sort of seitan I'd like to make.

ETA Harpy the recipe link posted by Poison Ivy is for baked seitan which is apparently extremely quick to put together - no rinsing required!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    Where do you find your wheat gluten Poison Ivy?
    I haven't found it in any shops, on occassion I've bought the little boxes from veganstore (when I'm feeling rich!!), the cheapest mail order is still the one Mr Flibble mentioned in the other thread:-

www.flourbin.com

at £1.40 per 500g. But when you figure in the £10 minimum order value plus the £6.95 p&p, it still doesn't work out exactly cheap
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote Marrers View Post
    ETA Harpy the recipe link posted by Poison Ivy is for baked seitan which is apparently extremely quick to put together - no rinsing required!
    So it is! I think the lengthy rinsing is really only needed if you start from ordinary flour, so that you have to get rid of the starch.

I do have a couple of boxes of the veganstore seitan kit somewhere so I must try that, if it's not past its use-by date.

Yes the stuff on those buffets is sometimes a bit weird; not sure I want to think about how they make that, but what can you expect for the prices they charge?

Quote harpy View Post
    So it is! I think the lengthy rinsing is really only needed if you start from ordinary flour, so that you have to get rid of the starch.

I do have a couple of boxes of the veganstore seitan kit somewhere so I must try that, if it's not past its use-by date.

Yes the stuff on those buffets is sometimes a bit weird; not sure I want to think about how they make that, but what can you expect for the prices they charge?
    That's the way i've always had it (apart from the good stuff in the chinese supermarket) and it's deff the best way to make it.I've never tried the 'ready made' flour that folk are on about here but,by the sound of it,i'll give it a miss!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

RubyDuby

thanks jjd and poisonivy! cant wait to try them out.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Joi/Tai chain restuarants in London sell lots of seiten dishes. The last time I was in one (Joi on Percy Street) they were selling freeze dried seiten in freezer bags at reasonable prices. I had a nice chat with (who i assume to be) the manager (who unlike most of the other staff speaks good english) who gave me cooking tips.
    care to share any tips, or are they posted on another thread somewhere?

eta: Hi Marrers!!

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/05...itan-ribz.html

I use an adaptation of this recipe and it's our favorite. I double the amount of ingredients and change the spices according to what I want the seitan to taste like. (stir fry, barbecue, gyros, etc.) I bake it in a 9X13 pan. (covered with foil) I turn it over after about 15 minutes. Brush with a little olive oil or favorite sauce or whatever to keep it from drying out and return it to the oven for about another 15-20 minutes. (I don't put it on a barbecue grill)When it seems sufficiently done, I slice it up and use it in recipes. I like to stir fry it with different sauces or use it in a wrap with veggies and dressing. The texture of this seitan is great. Not spongy like some boiled seitan can be.

I hope this makes sense as I'm tired and typing fast.

RubyDuby

wow, that looks delicious!

RubyDuby

I tried a variation of the baked seitan. I only had 1/2 c gluten and no nutritional yeast, but was ready to make it so did anyway. It was much much better than my previous attempts.

not boiling it is the trick!

Quote Yoggy View Post
    I've never made homemade seitan, but there's a recipe for it on page 284 of "La Dolce Vegan". Though maybe the recipe is the same as the one you've already tried that came out rubbery....but I thought I'd mention it in case it's not. Good luck
    I use the 'La Dolce Vegan' seitan recipe all the time.
    It's a great recipe - not at all rubbery and easy peasy.
    I add a teaspoon of fake chicken stock to the gluten before adding the water for extra flavour, then cut it into slices after simmering in the broth, crumb them and fry. Yum.
    I use the broth to make a vegan gravey also and it's delice