Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Seitan and seitan recipes

Default Re: Seitan recipes

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Seitan is amazing, but a lot like tofu it's very easy to prepare it very badly. Reserve judgement until you've had it in a restuarant
    QFT!

I often get vegetarians sniffing at me when I talk about tofu recipes, as many of them are more used to Quorn, which I seem to remember is less easy to screw up. Last time my vegetarian sister and I were talking about my veganism, she was quite scathing towards Tofu and how it didn't taste of anything. Well, neither does water, sweetie, and you have that in coffee!

I currently have some seitan being kneaded in my breadmaker as I type. I shall be making seitan madras with in tomorrow. I don't eat it much as I prefer pulses etc, but it's a nice thing to have now and then.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote gogs67 View Post
    I just got 3 kilos of wheat gluten delivered today. Cost £11 but the postage was another £7 unfortunately.

Am gonna have fun trying out loads of different recipies though!

Ooooh where did you manage to find that? flourbin by any chance? My last little bag I brought back from the US is on it's last lot, although I have some seitan I made last week in the fridge at the moment.

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    QFT!
    No no, it's much easier than Quantum Field Theory.

Quote Ms_Derious
    I currently have some seitan being kneaded in my breadmaker as I type.
    Good to know I'm not the only one who uses kitchen appliances for things other than their intended purpose. I knead pasta dough in mine (have to turn it off after 15 mins and then on again to stop the heating element kicking in).
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3O8LKmos8U
    Has anyone seen this on youtube? Really good!

boatsteem1

Oh hey, I've never heard of seitan before! I'm definitely going to look for it! Looks tasty!

Gah I made my first batch of seitan the other day. Wasn't nice at all. Too bready.

Quote jimmeh View Post
    Gah I made my first batch of seitan the other day. Wasn't nice at all. Too bready.
    What recipe did you follow? I've made some really bad batches before. I generally find 'chunks' better that loaves. Cutlets are okay if they are streamed.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

I got the recipe from a friend which may have been the Sarah Kramer one. I made it by rinsing out 2 cups wholemeal and 2 cups plain flour until clear. Then I shaped it into cutlets and boiled it for half an hour. I thought it would be OK in a strong curry sauce but I wasn't impressed

Yeah, I found the making it from regular flour root didn't work. It was a little better with 'very strong' bread flour, but really, at it's best with gluten powder (which I have to get mail order'

I find it's a bit better if I use the breadmaker to knead it to death as well. Kneading it by hand I found it didn't have the best texture.

Quote vegcurry View Post

Ooooh where did you manage to find that? flourbin by any chance? My last little bag I brought back from the US is on it's last lot, although I have some seitan I made last week in the fridge at the moment.
    I get mine from here - the postage is high so i get 4 bags at a time

http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Yeah, I found the making it from regular flour root didn't work. It was a little better with 'very strong' bread flour, but really, at it's best with gluten powder (which I have to get mail order'

I find it's a bit better if I use the breadmaker to knead it to death as well. Kneading it by hand I found it didn't have the best texture.
    I wanted to try it with normal cheap flour before I sent off to Flourbin because of their extortionate postage fees.

Quote jimmeh View Post
    I wanted to try it with normal cheap flour before I sent off to Flourbin because of their extortionate postage fees.
    I know! It's shocking isn't it? I bought a huuuuge load of the stuff because I'm tight fisted. I sort of went off seitan in the summer as I think it works best in curries, which always seem like a cold weather dish. I'm getting back into it now.

Its worth doing it with breadflour rather than plain flour as you need more gluten then is in plain flour. I tried using tescos cheapest plain flour as it was about 43p a bag rather than 80p... but it didn't work

I know! It's shocking isn't it? I bought a huuuuge load of the stuff because I'm tight fisted. I sort of went off seitan in the summer as I think it works best in curries, which always seem like a cold weather dish. I'm getting back into it now.

Its worth doing it with breadflour rather than plain flour as you need more gluten then is in plain flour. I tried using tescos cheapest plain flour as it was about 43p a bag rather than 80p... but it didn't work
    Ahh ok I'll give it a shot with the bread flour. I did get the right consistency (I think). It was sort of bubblegummy. I might buy some prepacked seitan first to give myself an idea of what it's meant to taste like. I also saw a recipe for crumbling it into vegetable soup as a kind of faux chicken which looked like a nice warming winter recipe

Quote vava View Post
    I get mine from here - the postage is high so i get 4 bags at a time

http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/
    Award yourself a "vegcurry pat on the back, all round brilliant, that made my day" award. I've just ordered 5kg I'd been put off flourbin by their prices and was looking elsewhere with no joy.

[QUOTE=jimmeh;603639 I also saw a recipe for crumbling it into vegetable soup as a kind of faux chicken which looked like a nice warming winter recipe[/QUOTE]

Oooh, I've done that. It was using the gluten powder mixed with a tiny bit of water and then dropped straight into the pot. I think it only needed about two tablespoons full.

Quote vegcurry View Post
    Award yourself a "vegcurry pat on the back, all round brilliant, that made my day" award. I've just ordered 5kg I'd been put off flourbin by their prices and was looking elsewhere with no joy.
    How much was delivery for the 5 bags vegcurry?

Quote jimmeh View Post
    How much was delivery for the 5 bags vegcurry?
    Parcelforce 3 - 5 days just over a fiver *, so it's a quid per kilo I ordered, which seems worth it.
    * You can do it cheaper through them using DHL but I want to support ParcelForce.
    Last edited by vegcurry; Sep 13th, 2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typo

That's pretty reasonable for 5 kilos

The "alternate views" of the Gluten Flour are one of the most pointless things I've ever seen:

http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/ingr...ten-powder-1kg

Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

So, thanks to Vava putting me onto where I can get wheat gluten I've now been making a fair old amount of seitan. I've had it in stir frys, in fillings for enchilladas, BBQed veggie kebbabs, roasted with BBQ sauce ... and I'm starting to run out of ideas what to do with it next.
    Any ideas for what to try with it next, or suggestions for good recipes??

UPDATE:

Oooooh, I just found this Cooking with Seitan: The Complete Vegetarian "Wheat-Meat" Cookbook by Barbara Jacobs & Leonard Jacobs at The Book Depository. I'll let you all know what it's like when it arrives.
    Last edited by vegcurry; Sep 29th, 2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: added

I use a cookery book called eastern vegetarian cookery by madhur jaffrey - I'v had it for years and in it there is a recipe for gluten balls. It starts off with the flour and then you go through all the paraphernalia of getting the gluten out. Then you put little blobs of about a teaspoon in hot fat and they puff up and become golden. I havent tried this with gluten flour yet because I am slimming at the mo and restricting calories but if they taste the same they will be great. although they turn into balls in the pan when you take them out they collapse on themselves. The first time I tasted them **gross point coming up** - I thought they were the closest thing I had tasted to chicken skin. Sorry. They tast good tho if you wanna try them! also on everyday dish.tv there are two recipes for sausages that are v spicey and a sort of turkey christmas replacement that I found a bit bland but you could tinker with the ingredients if you wanted eh? I always feel a bit weird when I eat stuff made from wheat gluten because I think if folk are allergic to it - it can't be so good for you. I am just a narna tho....
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Ace, I have that book too. I'll take a look for that recipe, when I make the next lot of seitan. We finished off this lot by roasting it for a Sunday lunch sort of meal. It was rather good with roast spuds, onion gravy, steamed carrots and green beans.

I have tried sooo many times to make seitan at home, but I just can't get it right. Does anyone have some tips??

^ Me too.

The last batch I made was was more like sourdough bread without the sour taste (full of little holes & air pockets).

I've tried the "rinsing it under water till you develop carpel tunnel", the "boil it till it explodes" and the "bake it till it turns into a brick" recipes... and still it doesn't turn out right.

I buy mine pre-made...I didn't realize this would become a "how to make seitan" thread when I started out with my "seitan as an ingredient in a recipe" thread. Strange how things happen
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Default Re: I bought seitan, what do i do with it?

i just marinated mine in soy sauce and agave, thew it in the pan till the edges went crispy, put it on some braised garlic bok choy and it was amazing!

i totally recommend marinating, otherwise it has a strange flavour
    http://youandmesydney.blogspot.com/

Hail Seitan!

Nice ideas everybody, btw

I made some seitan once. Just marinated it, chopped it up, and used it in a stir fry
    All done in the best possible taste ...

theres a very good recipe for jerk seitan in vegan with a vengeance.
    i notice the op is years old..ha ha.. but if anyone would like it i can post it up somewhere
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Default Making Seitan and Seitan Burgers info here

http://www.veganopolis.com

I made Seasoned and Fried Homemade Seitan for dinner plus a baked Potato
    w/ Vegan Seitan Gravy along with Sauteed Kale with Garlic Slices, Chopped Dates and Shallot, spices. I AM FULL!