Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Making vegan food for non-vegans

Default Making vegan food for non-vegans

Okay so it's my first time going back to my hometown since I became vegan and it happens to be on my parents' anniversary.

So I want to cook them something that shows how tasty veganism can be, and is also anniversary-appropriate - any suggestions?

Nothing ridiculously complicated but I do have a couple weeks to practice...

Thank you!!

Default Re: Need recipe to impress non-vegan parents on their anniversary!

Maybe you'll find something here:
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...t=celebrations
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Question any suggestions? (family get-together)

Okay, so, this weekend my grandmother's side of the family is having a little reunion type thing. We all got a letter from my aunt, who's hosting it, about the activites and everything that will be happening. We're only going to be attending Saturday, and that day it's just supposed to be a potluck type thing at her cabin on a lake. The main food is provided (all types of dead animal, of course) but people are supposed to bring other stuff. A lot of my family doesn't know about my vegetarianism, let alone my veganism, so I'm sure I'll end up having to defend myself and my morals to distant relatives I barely know, and haven't seen for years. I'd love to be like "well, try this" when they ask the usual annoying questions about what I actually can eat and whatnot, and I'd like to be able to impress the non-believers and everything, and well, obviously also have something to eat throughout the day, so pretty much, the point of this longer than intended thread is what do you suggest would be some good stuff for me to take? Stuff that most people could easily enjoy, rather easy to make and easy to haul there and everything. Thanks!
    "lead with your fork, not your mouth"
    ~ Bernie Wilke ~

Default Re: any suggestions? (family get-together)

I like to make curried mushroom & coriander couscous, or curried chickpea, eggplant & zucchini couscous. They are always a big hit:

Curried Mushroom & Coriander Couscous: When making couscous, add 1 tsp hot curry powder (per two cups dry couscous), and sea salt to taste. Meanwhile, fry mushrooms (as many as you like) in a little olive oil, and add to the couscous. Add lots of chopped coriander and mix well!

Curried Chickpea, Eggplant & Zucchini Couscous: When making couscous, add 1 tsp hot curry powder (per two cups dry couscous), and sea salt to taste. Meanwhile, steam the zucchini and eggplant until cooked, but not falling apart. Add a can of chickpeas, and the zucchini and eggplant to the couscous.

Bring some pita bread, and some green meditteranean type salad with olives and stuff as well.

Oh, and another good one is Lebanese Bulgur and Lentils:

- 1 cup Bulgur Wheat (course)
    - 1 cup dry brown/green lentils
    - 4 cups water
    - 1 tsp ground cumin
    - 1 tsp hot cayenne
    - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
    - sea salt to taste
    - olive oil to taste

Boil the lentils until they are tender. Once they are cooked, add the bulgur wheat, the spices and the garlic. Stir well, cook for 5 minutes and then turn the heat off and cover with a lid and let sit for 10 - 20 minutes, until the bulgur has absorbed all the water. Drizzle with olive oil.

Again pita goes nice with this, as do chopped cucumber & tomato salad

yogini

finger foods like vegan saussage rolls? felaffels?
    Vegetable sticks and little bits of pita bread (paste with olive oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake in oven..) to dip into hummus, guacamole?
    sometimes if i make a really thick dahl i cool it and use it as a dip aswell. it goes down a treat!

Banana suggested some great bulghar recipes..another one is tabboleh..its really quick and if you leave it in the fridge overnight it tastes better.

why dont you amaze them all with a vegan chocolate cake or similar yummy desert!

good luck, let us know how it all goes!!

These brownies are delicious, I got them from a great cookbook, Your fam will not be able to tell they're vegan

Death By Chocolate Brownies:

1 1/3 cups granulated sweetener
    ¾ cup applesauce
    2 tablespoons of water
    2 teaspoons flax powder
    ½ cup water
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 1/3 cups unbleached white flour
    ¾ cup cocoa
    ½ teaspoon baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1-cup vegan chocolate chips
    - Oven at 350 (8x8 square dish sprayed w/ cooking spray)

- Stir together granulated sweetener applesauce and 2 tablespoons water in med. Bowl.

- In small cup mix flax powder and ½ cup water—add to applesauce mixture and stir to combine (add vanilla)

• In another small combine flour cocoa, baking powder and salt, then add applesauce mixture to flour mixture. Stir to just combine then add chips.
    • Pour into prepared pan
    • Bake for 40 mins for chewy, 45-47 for cake like brownies

Brownie topping:

1 cup powdered sugar
    ¼ cup canola oil
    ½ teaspoon vanilla
    1/6 cup cocoa
    3 ½ tablespoons arrowroot
    ½ cup water
    • While brownies are baking place powdered sugar, canola oil, vanilla, cocoa and arrowroot in small saucepan.
    • Stir to combine w/ wire wisk
    • Stir in water
    • Keep on heat till thickens but do not boil (if boils arrowroot is destroyed)
    Pour hot topping over brownies and let cool completely before serving. So yummy!

Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

Default Vegan recipes/advice needed for omni boyf!

I've been talking to my boyfriend (who refered to vegans as "stupid people who think they're better than everyone else" the other day ) about how cruelly animals are treated in the food industries, and trying to show him that we don't need meat and dairy to survive. At first he was very skeptical about it ("I knew you'd start lecturing me sometime" - i thought i was very restrained seeing as we have been going out for two years now! But i love him, and try to respect his views even if i don't like them), he's been brought up in a meat eating family and he only really eats meat and dairy and startchy products.

However! After a while he admitted that he wouldn't mind being a vegetarian if he didn't like meat so much, or that he doesn't like any "vege" food. So i'm figuring one step at a time here...I've given him linda macartney sausages, as although i don't think i've ever eaten them, a lot of people have said they're close to meat, but he wasn't too fond of them. He brought himself some vegetable burger (it might have been birds eye) but he said it was too soggy and some Quorn burgers which he said were just plain awful (i don't blame him there!)...If he eats a stir fry now he will leave out the chicken which is lovely and bless him at least he's trying to please me buy making an effort! He's also said that if he does buy meat he will only buy it from a farmers market as the animals might have had a better life but still, it's a start.

Anyway! After all this rambling...(congrats if you've read this far!) i need some recipe ideas for things that i can make for us both to eat (i'm fed up of one meal for him one for me etc and having meat in my fridge, yuck). I'm not going to cook anything with dairy in either, if he wants cheese on somthing he can grate it on himself!

The problem is that he won't eat a lot of vege's/other foods, so i need recipes that will convince him it's ok not to eat meat, but don't include anything that he *really* won't eat which is...

*Peppers, any colour
    *Tomato (in any form! Or cunningly disguised in anything!)
    *All beans and pulses, apprently although i don't think he's tried most of them (makes it quite hard...)
    *Anything majorly spicey
    *Soya Milk/Cheese (although he doesn't mind the ice cream, healthy healthy! hehe)
    *Spring Onions
    *Beansprouts/bamboo/water chesnuts
    *Tofu

I've been trying to think of something, but all i can come up with is stir fry, but he won't eat that! He can't even eat my lovely spag bol hehe. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm looking forward to showing him that vegan food is a lot nicer than omni food
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

Default Re: Vegan recipes/advice needed for omni boyf!

Ara,
    I suggest getting a very good vegan cookbook. I'm not sure which ones available in your area are considered very good however. I went through this with my family when I first went vegan. It took some time to change their tastes - and they do need to change in order to appreciate the taste of foods devoid of animal products.

I started off slowly and made some favorite foods such as sweets and pasta dishes. If you learn how to make seitan it's a great bridge for meateaters, especially with rich sauces.

My husband now eats things he used to swear he didn't like. As he says, "so long as it tastes good I'll eat it." Unfortunately, I think that us vegans are held up to intense scrutiny concerning our culinary skills when omnivores find out what they are eating is vegan. Expanding your culinary skills is therefore important when it comes to converting omnis (or just having a peaceful meal with them.) And admitting when a dish doesn't turn out right is also important. I know we all have different preferences with food so figure you'll eventually make something he likes - and then you can make it often. It will be a bit hit-or-miss for awhile.

I hope someone from the UK can suggest a good cookbook or website for recipes.

Good luck.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Good sperm

Try buying 'La Dolce Vegan' by Sarah Kramer off Amazon, it's the best vegan cookbook I ever bought. All the recipes are fast, easy and cheap and really yummy.

I've been looking at getting that book but i have never been sure if it was any good - i've got the Garden of Vegan that she did with the other woman (whom i can't remember the name of...) and i found that i haven't really used any recipies from it, i tend to use my vegan cooking for one book, but i shall definatly look into it now.

And thanks for your advice Diane! I'm aware that it will be slow progress and that maybe he won't even get there at all! But i'm sincerly hoping so.
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

Blimey - that's a pretty extensive list of things he won't eat.

I'm sure you're aware of all the excellent Indian veggie restaurants around Leicester, and not all of the stuff they do is spicy (or if it is normally they all seem happy to make stuff with less spice when you order - I have a spicyphobic friend )

I would particularly recommend Indigo on the Melton Road. We went there recently and the crispy mushrooms in batter were gorgeous and not spicy at all!

I also have quite a few recipe books which I wouldn't mind lending you - send me a pm if you're interested

feral

My omni hubby just made a lovely veggie mince & onion, soy can be a bit sickening for me so he used dyhidrated soy, soaked it in some gravy, fried the onions, added the mince & gravy and cooked it slowly for a while, served it up with tinned peas and new potatoes... really tasty and even hubby enjoyed it.

Try replacing chicken in recipes with Releat chicken style pieces. They smell so much like meat they make me feel sick. They taste like chicken too.

feral

I find them a bit too jelly like maisie.

I shall definatly get him some of those chicken pieces to try Maise, if i added them to stir fry it'd be no biggy if he didn't like them - he could just pick them out and get on with it! (what a loving gf i am )

Twinkle - Thanks so much for the suggestions, i don't think he's ever tried a curry as he's afraid it'll be too spicy, i shall have to persaude him to come with me to an indian restaurant soon! And those battered mushrooms sound to die for - battered mushrooms, onion, babycorn, anything really - i'm a big fan! And thank you a lot for the offer of lending me some books, it's so lovely of you - i'd really appreciate it!

Feral, that's a very good idea for a recipe, i haven't tried soymince on him...yet! Thanks!

Don't feed him fake meats. If he's like any "vegan hating" omnivore, he'll spend the whole time eating it, going, "Hmmm, kinda chewier than real meat", "The taste is a little off", "The color is a little weird", "It doesn't smell like the real stuff, hmmmm"....etc, etc.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

True! He did do that with the Quorn burgers actually, but i managed to explain that they aren't supposed to mimic meat entierly, just provide a decent substitute for people. Hopefully he will come to like them for what they are, not what they're replacing!

I hope so too but try to get him interested in other foods too, not just fake meats.

RubyDuby

Quote Ara
    True! He did do that with the Quorn burgers actually, but i managed to explain that they aren't supposed to mimic meat entierly, just provide a decent substitute for people. Hopefully he will come to like them for what they are, not what they're replacing!
    The Quorn stuff here at Whole foods lists egg whites as the first or second ingredient. My bf loved them before but now we don't buy them.

Have you searched other recipe and meal idea threads on the forum? Here are a few:

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...hlight=recipes
    http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...507#post170507
    http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7168
    http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...723#post169723
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

This sometimes goes down well with omnivores - if I remember correctly it's from the original Cranks recipe book but I've pinched it off another web site to save typing. It does contain tomatoes but I think you could just leave them out, or use an alternative veg like courgettes with maybe a drop of wine or stock to make it moist. I don't think there's anything else on the proscribed list! Mushrooms and nuts are OK are they?

Crispy mushroom layer

Wholemeal breadcrumbs 8oz
    Mixed milled nuts 4oz
    Margarine 4oz
    Large onion 1
    Mushrooms 8oz
    Tomatoes 8oz
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Marjoram 1tsp

Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Combine the breadcrumbs and nuts. Melt 3oz margarine and fry the bread and nut mixture together until golden. Chop the onion, mushrooms and tomatoes, then melt the remaining margarine and saute the onion till transparent. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer gently for 5 minutes. In a lightly greased ovenproof dish layer up the breadcrumbs and vegetables, starting and finish with a layer of the bread/nut mix. Bake for 1/2 hour.

- apologies for butter refs, now removed. Actually I use oil rather than margarine and it seems to work OK.

Try looking around Bryanna Clark Grogan's site also.

http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/579094.htm

I've had omni's argue with me over the seiten I was serving saying it was meat. So you might want to explore seiten as an option.

RubyDuby

Seitan is amazing!! Sauce is important though as it can taste a little strong sometimes. My (usually very un-impressed by much) parents were in awe of seitans resemblence to meat. A restaurant in L.A. called Truly A Vegan Restaurant slices off a think chunk, grills it up and puts it on a toasted roll with a sauce made of veganaise, minced garlic, and cilantro. Its making me drool just thinking about it.

I'm going to try that crispy mushroom recipe Harpy! just as soon as I get off my anti-cooking phase. It sounds delicious! Maybe I can get my bf to cook some up tonight? He loooves mushrooms too.

RubyDuby

If you can't find seitan in the store you can make it at home. Its a long messy process, but interesting none-the-less. I got this recipe from the Vegeterian Times Complete Cookbook.

Homemade Seitan (Say-Tan)

Pour 7 1/2 c whole wheat flour into a large bowl.
    Slowly stir in 6 c water.
    Keep stirring until the mixture forms a ball.
    Knead for 10 minutes to develop the gluten in the wheat.
    Remove the ball from the bowl and hold it under cold running water while stretching the dough repeatedly until the starch and bran wash away, about 10 minutes but you'll be able to tell when you're done.
    Form the dough into a loaf, place it on cheesecloth and tie the ends.
    Set it in a pot of boiling vege stock or whatever flavor you choose and simmer 1 hr adding liquid to the pot as needed.
    Remove the loaf and allow it to cool.
    Slice or cube it as needed.

I've heard good things about the instant seitan available now. Though to be honest I have never tried it. I'm still doing the homemade stuff or buying it premade. It makes a really good bbq too!

That crispy mushroom dish looks really good. Sorry I didn't look at that before! Wonder how it would work with portabellas?

RubyDuby

Instant seitan?? I've never heard of such a thing. I'm definately going to check for that!

Here's a link to a brand that Food Fight carries

http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/seitanquickmix.html

RubyDuby

thanx Jane!

I don't think i've ever tried seitan, i'll have to look into it - i can't recall seeing it in any shops/wholefood stores near me though, so i'll have to try my hand at making it! Thanks for your help Ruby.

And thanks also for the mushroom recipe Harpy, i shall add it to my list of things to make, i love mushrooms

Once in a while Currant Affairs in town will get seitan slices in - I'm sure they'd be happy to get some in for you. They've ordered things in for me before (Tofutti Totally Fudge! :drool and I know their supplier carries (or did carry) seitan products.

I hear it's a real faff to make from scratch, so I've never tried. Good luck if you do decide to try it

tabitha

Blimey Ara - thats a fussy boyfriend ya got there, sounds like my flipping kids (only joking).

Have a look at this site:
    http://www.viva.org.uk/recipes/index.html
    Send for their free veggie and vegan packs, also the Martin Shaw Cooks Veggie leaflet.
    Try him on some veggie "motorway cafe" fry ups (fried potato, veggie bacon, veggie sausage, baked beans, mushrooms? etc). Heinz Baked Beans are Vegan.
    Also what about baked potato with various toppings? Grated Cheezely passes most omnis without them spotting its vegan.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I've actually got the Martin Shaw veggie leaflet, it's amazing! I especially love the chocolate and banana cake recipe from it, mmm! And my boyfriend likes it too! (well who wouldn't??!).
    Unfortunatly he won't eat baked potato either, that's one thing that i ommited from the list, andhe won't eat baked beans either 'cause they're in tomato sauce.

Today we had stir fry and threw in some redwoods chicken strips, and he thought they were quite nice, so we're getting somewhere!

post a list of what he does eat and we'll suggest similar vegan alternatives.

at this point that may be easier....picky fella?????

Can you get tvp in UK?

feral

Oh yes I discovered that the soya mince & onion is even nicer the second night, you don't get that soya afterkick *gagg* but get to taste the marinade mmmmmmmmm.

Hehe yes you may be right, i'll ask him for a list of his favourite foods when he gets out the shower and post them on here soon

Jeez, picky eters drive me nuts. If I'm cooking at home it's a case of eat this or starve mate
    Silent but deadly :p

Mhmm, that's what my Mum used to be like - which i think is the reason that i like everything (apart from califlower and meat, eeeuck).

Well, his favourite foods are -
    Meat - Chicken, Beef, Pork, Sausages, Burgers, Mince
    Potato's in any form except baked (esp mash and wedges)
    Veggies - Brussel Sprouts(!), Peas, Carrots, Sweetcorn, Green Beans, Broccolli and Cabbage.
    And some of his favourite meals are -
    Mince, Rice and Peas
    Burger and Chips
    Some weird thing he does with Chicken chunks, soy sauce, gravy and rice
    Stir Fry
    Sausage and Mash
    Roast with all the trimmings (except stuffing hehe)

So really, i think broadening his food horizon can only be a good thing...I'd get fed up if i just ate those things! Although it's not as bad as one of my friends who's vegetarian and only eats cheese and mashed pot's, no vegetables in sight!

will he eat soup? I make a lot of soups and they go down very well with all who try them. I make a really nice brussels sprout soup and a carrot soup.
    Vegeburger and chips should be ok, there are loads of different brand, we like Good Life and Beanies.
    Vege sausage and mash, again loads of brands of veggie sausage to try.
    Realeat Veggie Mince, Rice and Peas.
    Sounds like he is OK with stir fry so look into chinese style foods, they may be something you can cook together.

RubyDuby

Quote harpy
    Crispy mushroom layer

Wholemeal breadcrumbs 8oz
    Mixed milled nuts 4oz
    Margarine 4oz
    Large onion 1
    Mushrooms 8oz
    Tomatoes 8oz
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Marjoram 1tsp

Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Combine the breadcrumbs and nuts. Melt 3oz margarine and fry the bread and nut mixture together until golden. Chop the onion, mushrooms and tomatoes, then melt the remaining margarine and saute the onion till transparent. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer gently for 5 minutes. In a lightly greased ovenproof dish layer up the breadcrumbs and vegetables, starting and finish with a layer of the bread/nut mix. Bake for 1/2 hour.
    my bf made this last night and its gooood. its more like a side dish though than main course.

I sympathise with you totally Ara! My boyfriend is the same.

The one thing my boyfriend will happily eat with me is mushroom risotto. Rice (arborio is the best), mushrooms (dried & fresh), vegetable stock, onion, garlic, seasoning, white wine.....

Pretty straight forward to make but whatever you do keep stirring as it sticks to the pan really easily!

Fussy eater are annoying aren't they! I don't really understand myself - i've always been a food lover! hehe.

Default Buffet for friends

My boyfriend and I am having some friends round Saturday evening for some food and drinks. There will be approx 15 people. I want to do a buffet if possible and make as much of it as I can(instead of buying pre-made stuff).

Everyone is omni apart from me so there will be meat and dairy stuff but I wanted to make some really nice vegan food for them to try.

Any suggestions on what I could make that isn't too difficult? I thought maybe a cous cous salad, some vegan choc cakes....

What else?

Thanks guys

Default Re: Buffet for friends

Hi Raquelle,
    things that immediately come to mind are crostini (little triangles of toast, or crackers, or crispbread) with a variety of spreads and dips - tapenade, various bean dips, baba ghanoush. Put the spreads on at the last minute, or let your guests do it, so the bread doesn't go soggy.
    Also fresh veggies for dipping - sticks of pepper and celery, julienne carrots... All that could be made up in advance so you have loads of time for your guests
    Little pizzas with lots of fresh veggies (you can serve these cold).
    Or sushi

As for desserts, you could make a wicked cheesecake/key lime pie (or little individual ones) with a graham cracker/digestive biscuit base and vegan cream cheese or tofu topping. This is one area where you really can't tell the difference from a traditional cheese cake. And carrot cake...

Good luck with it all!

what about a large or individual tartlets with fillings like onion or roasted red pepper and roasted tomato? and extras like olives, capers, artichoke hearts?

there is always the cold pasta salad or bulgar wheat salad/couscous with fresh herbs and veggies in?

cold roasted veg like zucchini, pepper, mushrooms, scallions, celery, fennel?

cold potato salad made with vegannaise and chopped chives?

mini pittas filled at the last minute with grated carrot and fresh ginger with a dollop of hummous on top?

tortilla chips spread with canned refried beans and topped with salsa?

enjoy your day anyhow

I'll be round to yours for tea tonight, Cedarblue

Quote fiamma
    I'll be round to yours for tea tonight, Cedarblue

weeeeellll - we'not having those things tonight but you're welcome to share our roast veg with dressing and new potato (from the garden) salad!

or - i am holidaying in italy next year, so i may appear on your doorstep for yummies

Taboouli salad!

Quote cedarblue
    or - i am holidaying in italy next year, so i may appear on your doorstep for yummies
    Oh you must come by, Cedarblue - that would be wonderful!

Probably too late for you now, but my boyfriend and I made a lovely salad last night, which might be nice for people to dip into.
    It was lettuce leaves with diced onion, fresh sun dried tomatoes, tomato and pepper cous-cous, pine nuts, roasted courgette, pepper and onion. All tossed together and it was scrummy!
    Salads are made for summer!
    Right now I'm looking forward to some vegan potato salad, vegan coleslaw, salad and a porkless pie for dinner!