Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Making vegan food for non-vegans

helen105281

Default Re: Recipes for eating with fussy friends

Thanks for your help everyone, I think I will either make a risotto as suggested by Harpy or a pasta type thing with a milk that isn't soya milk as Sqigaletta suggested

The recipe I use for a creamy sauce is generally equal weight of marg and flour. melt marg add flour and stir but be careful not to burn. then add the milk and whisk adding more milk to get right consistancy. and then I add black pepper. Sorry I can't be more specific with measure, I always just go by eye. then add what ever veg you like

helen105281

That's great thank you, she's not coming now as it has been snowing but will use it when we re-schedule or when I next make a sauce.

Quote squigaletta View Post
    I would probably make a creamy pasta sauce using a milk that isn't soya milk. Spinach and cherry tomato, or spinach and red pepper are really good.
    That sounds delicious!

All these meals sound delicious!

My bf dislikes herbs & chilli so I just leave out the herbs & spices if we are sharing a meal until I have served his portion and then add the herbs/spices to my serving.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Default Suggestions Wanted - Cooking for Omni

Short version
    I need a recipe for a cake or some other party food that will be nice, and won't scare the onmi. Something that isn't going to need a lot of 'vegan' ingrediants which will upset the omnis. I'm sure they would be happier to eat something that they considered vegan by nature than a veganised classical onmi dish.

Long Version, for those whom like a back story

It's Father's Day this weekend, and every Birthday/Christmas/Fathers Day my Dad always tells us he doesn't want anything, and we always buy him something anyway. I know he would be very upset if I did that this year, having just lost my job he knows I don't have any spare money.

Anyway, he's very much the omni... and finds the idea of anything vegan as being inherantly inferior... however, since I seem to like banging my head against a brick wall, I want to cook something for the family gathering, as I don't want to turn up looking like I've just not bothered buying a gift.

However, I know he'll consider anything that he thinks is normally non-vegan as being hybridized to it's detriment, so what I really need, is something that happens to be vegan by nature, that is a good party food... I'm sure I saw someone use the term 'crypto-vegan' to cover foods like this.

I'm happy for either sweet or savory nibbles. I just want something that would be a nice way of showing that, while I've not got loads of cash to spend on a present, I do love him (despite his vegan bashing) and I want to give my time instead.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    Last edited by Korn; Jun 17th, 2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Suggestions Wanted - Cooking for Omni

I bake muffins all the time and my omni friends love them. Maybe try something like that? It's hard to go wrong with muffins, really. Also, I recently made some carrot cake following a recipe extremely similar to that in The Joy of Vegan Baking, my omni friends ate more than I did, and that's saying a lot.

I've made spinach stuffed mushrooms for parties, vegan jello shots, a couple of different salads (black bean mango salad was the BOMB!) and plenty of other stuff. Once I made vegan mac n cheese for a BBQ and I didn't tell anyone it was vegan until they had eaten it. It went over quite well!

What about something that is typically vegan anyway? Mini-pretzels covered in herbs, home made potato chips (either crisps or fries) with some home-made sauce - or sweet-potato, pumpkin, or parsnip chips. Gingerbread is basically already vegan (if you replace the butter) and makes a pretty good gift.

Or mini-vegetable pies, with some home-made tomato sauce.
    Any kind of cake, cupcake, muffin with soy/rice milk and oil (or egg replacement) instead of egg.

Good luck!

Buddha Belly

Easy cake recipe variant, from The Cake Scoffer, £1.25 from Animal Aid.
    10oz White self raising flour
    2tsp baking powder
    6oz sugar
    100ml veg oil
    180ml water

At this point add a flavour. Either;
    4 tsp vanilla extract
    1oz cocoa + 1tsp orange essence (or exchange the water for orange juice)

Warm the oil, water and sugar until all mixed together.
    Add to the dry ingridients and pour into cake tin or cup cakes.
    Cake tin 180 C for 30 mins
    Cup cakes 180 C for 20 mins

Though best keep an eye as it may be quicker.

It is a really quick to make and tasty cake.

Summer pudding? http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/s...g,1225,RC.html

Of course it would raise the question of what to have with it, but if you got Swedish Glace and hid the box I'm sure no one would realise it wasn't dairy icecream

Or if you want something that doesn't need to be eaten straight away you could make chocolate truffles, there are recipes around and as the prevailing taste is chocolate he probably wouldn't notice the difference. Or strawberries, or dried mango, dipped in chocolate.

Hope you all have a good time.

Buddha Belly

Something I do for family things that go down well as they are never sure if they are vegan or not.
    Sausage rolls
    2 Packets of 99p Vegetarians Choice sausages from Holland and Barret's freezer section, let them defrost for a few hours. They should cut down to 4 mini rolls once the pastry is on them.
    1 packet of Jus Rol puff pastry.

Can you guess what I do next? Ha ha.
    They should take about 15 mins in an oven about 180C

------------------------------------------------------

1/2 packet of firm tofu, mashed as if doing scrambled tofu.
    2tsp of turmeric
    1tbsn of vegan mayo

You can add 2tsp of currey powder to make a lovely curried egg buttie

Mix it all up and it makes a fake egg sandwich mix. Without the foul sulfurous smell.

-------------------------------------------------------

Humus and crudités. I found out two weeks ago that crudités were small bits of veg for dipping in things like humus and have desperately tried to use the word since.

Default Re: Cooking for omnis

Quote fiamma View Post
    I've decided to cook dinner for a couple of friends. The problem is that the guy practically survives on a diet of meat only, and barely eats any vegetables at all I have cooked for them before, before I was vegan, and had a tapas party, and even cooked meat for him as a compromise But that was a while ago and this meal is going to be 100% vegan. Does anybody have any suggestions or experience of dishes that omnis and especially hardcore meat eaters have gone wild over? I'm thinking along the lines of a Mexican dinner - chilli with guacamole, salsa and all the trimmings, but any suggestions would be most welcome.

I've given up. I used to cook [vegan] sunday lunch regularly for my [omni] parents but they never liked anything i made, didn't appreciate my herbs and spices (just asked for the salt and pepper before even tasting it), so now I go to lunch at their house and just have the boiled veggies, it's a lot easier. and....on the bright side.... it gets me out of having to cook sunday lunch! hehe. As for mates....we just eat out.

Oh my stars! It looks like this is a very common question... glad I'm not the only one doing this.

I've got a cake sat in the oven riiiiiight now. I figure, try the recipe out today... I have a more open minded friend I'm visiting tomorrow... I can share a cake with him If it's tasty, I'll make another one for Sunday.

I love the sausage rolls idea too. I know my Dad, he's the type to grumble over the idea of vegan sausages... but it sounds very nice. My inlaws are more open to trying new things, so I will make a batch for next time they come over With Summer pudding to follow

Windfall

Sounds yummy Ms Derious. It;s good that they are open for new things, my parents are like that. When I'm cooking for more sceptic people though, I never use meat-substitutes, that way they can never think its not "as good as the real thing". I like to make things like puff pastry things with fillings, individual savory pies, and big yummy salads with nuts or seeds in them, like toasted cashews. And sometimes I even bake some bread! That way they have lots of options!

Macsween's vegetarian haggis is often a winner with omnivores.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Buddha Belly

Quote DavidT View Post
    Macsween's vegetarian haggis is often a winner with omnivores.

I love that. We had it for xmas dinner last year. I may get one for next weekend now...,..

Default Vegan recipes for non-vegans

Does anyone have any good recipes that they have tried to feed non-vegans successfully? I tried to make a lentil loaf for Thanksgiving recently to offer my family, but it was a flop! Came out too mushy. I want to bring something for the family potluck at Christmas this year, but this time I have to be sure that I find something really tasty and amazing. I won't be able to promote the Vegan lifestyle very well if I can't come up with a brilliant recipe this time around. I'm just curious if any of you have made a Vegan dish that your family and friends absolutely flipped over! Please include a list of ingredients and the full recipe with instructions so that I can give it a go. I would so much appreciate any suggestions!

Bon Appetite!
    Jenny
    "You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car". (Harvey Diamond)

Default Re: Vegan recipes for non Vegans

I have had good results with the vegan version of this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...tures.weekend4

Things with pastry are a good bet in general - they are better hot but I expect you could make them in advance and heat them up when you get there.

Default Favorite vegan entree to make for meat eaters?

Hi all. I have been vegan forever and still haven't found the perfect vegan main dish to make for potlucks or dinners with meat eaters. You always want to bring something that is tasty but doesn't have ingredients that intimidate carnivores. I have one of those situations this weekend. Any suggestions? Right now the best idea I have is pesto. It would be nice to have some protein in there. But that is hard to incorporate without including an intimidating ingredient (like mock meat). TIA!

Default Re: Favorite vegan entree to make for meat eaters?

Hello - This one usually goes down well with my meat-eating friends. You can do a bean salad to have with it for extra protein. If you can't get olive paste you can just use extra olives.

(Apologies to those who have read this before but I couldn't find it when I searched the forum.)

Patates Yahni Me Elies/Potato Stew with Olives

Olive oil
    3 lbs potatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
    4 large onions, sliced
    10 garlic cloves, sliced
    1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
    6 fl oz wine (white in the recipe, but we used red)
    2 tsp dried oregano
    1.5 lbs chopped tomatoes, tinned or fresh (we used a mixture)
    6 oz black olives, pitted and rinsed, then roughly chopped
    2 tbsp olive paste
    parsley

Heat oven to 190C/375F/Gas mark 5. Cover bottom of a heavy pan with oil
    and saute the potatoes for five minutes - in batches if necessary, but I
    just put them all in together and turned them frequently.

Remove potatoes from pan to an oven-proof dish large enough for them to
    lie in a shallow layer. Use a slotted spoon so the oil is left in the
    pan. Add more oil if necessary, and saute the onions, garlic and chili
    for a few minutes.Then add wine, tomatoes, oregano, olives, olive paste.
    Cook for a minute or two, then pour this sauce over the potatoes. Bake
    for 45 minutes to 1 hour until potatoes are tender. Top up with water or
    wine if it gets too dry during cooking (mine didn't but I left the lid on
    the dish, though the recipe says "bake uncovered".) Sprinkle with chopped
    parsley and eat.

RubyDuby

I try a different dish every time I go to a family get together and the only one that has gotten rave reviews from every person is my mac salad with vegenaise. If they ask what's in it just say "eggless mayo". That doesn't seem to scare anyone.

Use plain elbow macaroni and right after draining, while the mac is still warm, add a cube of your favorite bouillion (I use rapunzel vegan sea salt and herb). Mix it in really well, then add frozen peas, corn, shredded carrots, edamame, and a chopped scallion. Chill the macaroni before adding like 3/4 small jar of vegenaise and lots of salt and pepper. It's delicious.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Vegan Shepherds Pie, like normal shepherds pie but with soy mince. I add in gravy/stock and vegan worcester sauce to make it yummier (soy mince is a bit bland otherwise) and give it a kick. Lots of onions, sweetcorn, peas and mushrooms mixed in and mashed potato on top (I have lots and lots of 'butter' in mine) and then give it a quick grill to crisp up the top.

Very very popular. My boyfriend will eat an entire shepherds pie on his own if I let him lol. I'm going to make it for my meat loving dad next time I visit my parents.

Chili seems to go over well. As well as a variety of foods that typically are vegan or almost vegan like pasta salads, other kinds of salads, rice pilafs, etc.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I made stuffed mushrooms for some friends the other night, they loved them. in the mushroom caps i put zuccini, onion, squash, garlic, spinach and a little olive oil.

Vegan Jelly Donut Cupcakes (from Veganomicon)....I know, it isn't a meal, but these are to die for and no one would assume they are vegan. Just plain heavenly.

Give me all your vegan recipes and no one gets hurt.

Okay, that's no fair that I submitted a dessert when you clearly asked for an entree, so my favorite vegan meal to make for meat eaters is my eggplant non-parmesan. I also like the vegan shepherd's pie and vegan enchiladas.
    Give me all your vegan recipes and no one gets hurt.

Hi;
    I make vegan" Shepherd's pie", black bean burgers or sauteed lentils.

That's at least four votes for the Shepherd's Pie then. That and Stovies are the only things I make that meat eaters uniformly love.
    “You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

What are Stovies?

Stoved Potatoes - a very simple but tasty Scottish dish. You take Potatoes and thickly slice them. A firm rather than floury type are best. Put in a pan with thickly sliced Onions (about 2/3 the volume of Onions to to Potatoes). Add a knob of vegetable fat and pour over hot vegetable stock to just below the level of the Onions and Potatoes. Bring to the boil, cover and leave to simmer for about 25 minutes stirring occasionally - until the Potatoes are just beginning to break down. You need to judge this. Then uncover the pan and let the mixture dry out a little on the heat. You need to keep stirring to prevent it sticking. When ready, it should be thick but still have some pieces of potato in it and not be watery. You don't want a smooth mash.

There are all sorts of variants you can make. I sometimes add Methi (Fenugreek leaves) at the start which gives an unusual but nice flavour. You can add other vegetables too such as carrots at the start of cooking, but anything green such as Beans, Cabbage or Broccoli is best added near the end. My particular favourite is Broccoli.
    “You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

I have a few... I think the one that goes over the best is jamaican jerk seitan with edamame mashed potatoes. I've also made "mexican hot dogs," bourbon bbq burgers, potato salad, pizza rolls, and charred sweet corn for cookouts and my brother (20 years old, all about sports, and nowhere near vegan- he's on the whole pizza and wings diet of college) said something along the lines of "wow amandah. I can't ever go to another cookout again because this is the best one and you don't even know it's vegan. You need to have a cookout for my friends and tell them you quit being vegan and they'll believe you I think." Keep in mind I am also from a family of hunters and lived in a hick town... so this is saying a lot, haha. I also concentrate a lot at Thanksgiving time (I cook it every year, completely vegan, for my Dad and brother- my Dad is your cliche Scrantonian who wears flannel every day, used to hunt, and builds things- like houses and gazebos and decks- for fun), and the favorites are usually my sweet potatoes with vegan marshmallows, (vegan) green bean casserole, and dumplings (and of course the tofurkey which I basically just marinate and leave alone).

But the MAIN THING is the desserts! I don't think I've ever made a dessert that a "non-vegan" didn't like... at least in the last 10 years. My first few vegan desserts were embarrassments. My favorite things to make are cupcakes, pies, and cookies.
    Check out my (vegan) food blog:
    http://anditsvegan.blogspot.com :):)

SlackAlice may share her 'magic' vegetable curry recipe if she pops in here. That ones so popular with her corpse-crunching freinds that it seems they can no longer have a party without it.

My chili has never been spotted as 'non-carne' by those not pre-alerted nor has a scrap ever survived the "I ain't eating no vegan sh*t crew" if no ones warned them that it's vegan either.

An old favourite of mine was filo parcels stuffed with a mix of vegan cream cheese and spinach, seasoned obviously, and I seem to remember that chucking a handfull of pine nuts in worked a treat.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Shepards Pie for me too. I've also made the macoroni salad from Veganomicon for a BBQ and it was gone in 10 minutes flat.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

OH and the best pasta recipe ever!! Cream Cheese Pasta

For the sauce, I put a little bit of olive oil in a pan and then put down almost a whole thing of tofutti cream cheese with a squeez of a whole half a lemon, and then i put in some hot water, maybe around a half a cup, just to stretch the sauce out a bit, I put in some salt and garlic powder. So I could that over the stove for maybe 3 minutes or at least until the cream cheese is melted down....and then I toss the sauce with Fettuccini noodles and then I add in some chopped parsley.

Its so good!!!!! YUM!!!! I've been eating it with tofurkey italian sausage with is wonderful too. My boyfriend loves it!!!!! I have to eat it at least once a week. Its super simple, cheap, and delicious.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Oh also tapas are always a nice idea for anything because it gives people the chance to try lots of little things rather than being faced by one big meal. That way if you don't like something you feel less rude for not eating it. Plus who can say no to lots of little, brightly colours dishes of yummy food?

Default Re: Making vegan food for non-vegans

www.vegweb.com

Is where I found some of my favorite recipes! They have everything!!!

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

So, I've been pretty successful for cooking for my omni boyfriend for the past 3-4 months. We usually get together at least once a day, sometimes for a meal and sometimes not, but I probably cook for him about 4-5 times a week. The problem is he eats SO much! He's in terrific shape, works at a physically-intense job for 10 hours a day, and as a result eats a ton. He typically eats 4-5 big meals a day, with cereal before bed. While he loves the food I make, he has to eat more of it than he would if it was the non-vegan equivalent.

We're going away this weekend and I'll be doing all the cooking (he can't cook, esp. not vegan meals) and I'm paranoid about how much to bring. He always eats a lot of what I make, but 'supplements' his diet throughout the day with lots of non-vegan food. I'd rather not make or bring non-vegan food with us, but i also want to make sure I'm going to have enough food for the two of us for 3 days!

Has anyone else had this issue? I usually eat 1500 cals a day, but he eats closer to 7-10,000 (seriously). Obviously higher cal and higher fat foods like meat and cheese (bleh) help him reach that amount over lower-calorie vegan meals.

Here's what i was planning on bringing, for 3 days:
    - Vegan lasagna. I make it in a 15x18'' pan and he eats half of it for one meal.
    - A big spinach salad with avocado
    - Amy's cheeseless pizza
    - Bean burgers + buns
    - Vegan pasta salad
    - Muffins
    - Misc. fruit

Honestly, that'd feed just me for close to a month. My lasagna and spinach salad lasts me for a week alone! There's no grocery stores anywhere nearby so it's just what I bring. Any help would be appreciated!

RubyDuby

Soup is filling and if you just brought bouillon cubes and dried pulses you could easy tote them back home with no waste if you didn't need them. Saute some onion and garlic, add broth and lentils/split peas (and other veg if you'd like) to a boil and 30 minutes later you have a meal. Chickpea noodle, too. mmmmm

Same concept for tacos... bring a box of crunchy shells and a packet of taco seasoning. In the case you need more food, reconstitute some tvp with boiling water and seasoning and fill the shells up... you could always add other goodies, like lettuce and salsa.

quick oats with dried fruit, brown sugar for breakfast... toast with avocado... pb&j... and you could always just bring an extra box of pasta and jar of sauce.

Bags of vegan chips and cookies would probably help him through his crap cravings.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Sorry this is so late but I would cook with more fat and protein than you are used to. I would use beef or sausage tvp and coconut oil in the lasagna. I usually add pure gluten right into my sauces and stir it in. It gives it a meaty texture and a great source of protein. Amy's pizza has no protein does it? I'd add some pepperoni and vegan cheese. Put coconut oil or tahini in your burgers. I def recommend coconut oil in general, saturated fat keeps you satisfied(and is needed for hormone production).
    Gah! Edit: Amy's pizza does not have a lot of protein does it?
    Last edited by Haniska; Sep 21st, 2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: "no protein" is the dumbest thing I've ever said
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

There is a wonderful way of doing a very meaty gravy. You need to fried onions until brown (well, not black but nearly), adding some potatoes slices and some breadcrumbs (I use sage and onion stuffing) before they turn brown and letting them to take some color as well. This'll give the meaty taste. It could have also some mushroom slices or mushroom stock (I found a very cheap porcini one in an italian restaurant which sells this kind of stuff). Add a dry white wine, trying it is not very fruity and live until the potatoes are soft. I'm sure whith red wine can work too. Blend it. Letter you can add garlic, herbs (thyme and rosemary, black pepper...) and boyle it before serving.

I do something like that Jara, using onions, mushrooms, wine and herbs - I hadn't thought of including potato and breadcrumbs though, I'll have to try that.