Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Making vegan food for non-vegans

Default Re: Cooking for omnis

Quote **Ames** View Post
    It is the womans birthday today and they had asked my mum to make dessert, my mum is working today so asked me to make desserts instead . . . they are all veganised Mwahahahaha. Can't wait till I tell them mid way through enjoying them LOL. Jerks.
    F-ing A
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

but they are our jerks, gotta love them (can't shoot them).... glad to hear the happy ending.

I have my hardcore omnis to cook for next.... off to CA for 2 months. Burrito anyone?
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote **Ames** View Post
    They can because they are rude and inconsiderate. It's funny you both said that because as it happens, I did refuse to go. Well, they only live a couple of streets away from me so I walked round after I knew they would be done eating just so I didn't come across rude. It is the womans birthday today and they had asked my mum to make dessert, my mum is working today so asked me to make desserts instead . . . they are all veganised Mwahahahaha. Can't wait till I tell them mid way through enjoying them LOL. Jerks.
    Going round after they'd finished eating was a brilliant idea! What happened about the desserts, did they go down well?

They went down very well indeed - I sent them round a hour or so before I got there cuz I was going to be late. By the time I had got there they were nearly all gone (Gutted!) and all I heard was 'wow did you make those?!' Always nice to be complimented and the fact that when I said they were vegan none of them knew what to say made it extra nice!

Quote pat sommer View Post
    Burrito anyone?
    Me please! Good look with the omni cooking

Quote **Ames** View Post
    Always nice to be complimented and the fact that when I said they were vegan none of them knew what to say made it extra nice!
    Sounds like a result! What did you make?

Default Re: Wasn't sure where to post this but need recipe advice!

Quote **Ames** View Post
    I am being dragged (kicking and screaming) to my mum's friends house for dinner tomo night. They are cooking lamb. They know that I am vegan and yet refuse to cook a vegan option . . . but anyway, when they invited me I asked if they would mind me bringing some food to share (an idea I got from you clever folks) that was vegan. They reluctantly agreed.

Soooo now I would really appreciate recipe ideas for something that omnis would eat with / instead of lamb. I want it to kind of fit in with what they cook while being yummy and something that I can eat as a main dish, kwim?

I feel that this is an important point in my familys acceptance of my veganism (FINALLY!) so really really want it to be yummy food . . . Argh! Thanks guys.
    A really good gumbo or spinach pie. Maybe you could make mini quiches to bring as an appetizer? Or make an awesome soup with good homemade bread and some sort of fancy spread. Or a really good curry then bring a dessert that they would love and think its impossible for it to be vegan.

Oops. Too late. Got carried away with suggestions with out looking at the date.
    How did they like the vegan dessert you made?

Default Recipes for eating with fussy friends

Sorry guys, i'm a newbie and probably should say "hi".

Anyway, my best friend always invites me around for dinner or will cook for me if i'm babysitting her daughter which I do quite a lot, which is great although her idea of a vegan dinner is a vegeburger and chips.
    I have cooked stir fry for her in the past but she said she "didn't like it as it wasn't junky enough"

I've tried so hard to suggest, curry, vegan fajitas, stir frys, etc.

I wondering if there are any vegan recipes I can cook for her to help turn her away from junk food (as it really isn't good for anyone and has no nutritional value whatsoever).
    She's a traditional english food (my worst nightmare) girl and is VERY fussy.

I just want to be able to find a couple of recipes we can eat as a compromise (she did say she'd be willing to try vegan lasagne, but refuses to eat vegan mince, so a veg version would be great) as we do have to sit down at the table together quite a lot.

Thanks

Default Re: Recipes for eating with fussy friends

Why don't you put lentils in the lasagne? or make spaghetti bolognaise with lentils?

Yes, lentils mixed with onion, tomatoes and other veg of choice are a good substitute for mince in lasagne, shepherd's pie, chili etc.

I'm guessing your friend likes her stodge, so pies could be the way to go. I know they aren't exactly health food but potato-topped ones aren't too bad.

I didn't think of lentils...what type do your rekon is best to use?

Linda MCartney pies and oven chips. Throw in a few bits of brocolli as well
    Silent but deadly :p

Brown or green lentils are definately the best to use for that sort of stuff. They are hearty and have a nice taste and texture.

I agree, stickydate. On the other hand, red lentils cook really quickly. (I put red lentils in almost everything )

Jennie

Smile Non-veg ex-partner/best mate of 20 years visiting...any ideas?

Hey! it's Jennie again! in brief, or at least, I'll try!
    Have known my ex over 20 years, and we have 3 kids together. we've been separated a VERY long time, but have remained very close, I suppose you could say soul mates? He's supportive of my veganism, but doesn't yet know that I'm determined to make our home a cruelty free zone, and really don't feel comfortable with any meat products being brought in. He's visiting Wednesday, for a fortnight...what sorta thing should I feed him? Last time he was here, he tried almost everything with me, and was willing to eat quorn with my 16-year-old, who eats veggie at home by agreement. He doesn't eat pasta, so that's out, but he enjoys all sorts of fresh vegetables, and I think he'd eat most of the meat substitutes I buy. He won't be impressed that I'm trying to drop the milk/butter either, but we hafta be realistic because of training my autistic teenager to go veg, with a view to going vegan shortly. I can't let Ross see meat products being brought in, it sorta gives a false idea, ya know? I'm a pretty crap cook, I'll be honest, so what sorta easy, straightforward options would you recommend? Michael is a type 2 diabetic, so needs to eat 3 proper meals a day. Your ideas and suggestions over the next couple of weeks very welcome, and I know Michael will appreciate the input also.

Thanks a lot.

Jennie.
    Life is what you MAKE IT: be glad for what you have, and can do, don't worry about what you don't have, and aren't able to do.

Default Re: Non-veg ex-partner/best mate of 20 years visiting...any ideas?

Fajitas, fry up some onion, tomato, bell peppers, mushroom and butter beans, mix with some fahjita mix powdery stuff (or add your own spices), add some chopped salad, guacamole and salsa. Wrap the lot in a fajita.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jennie

Thumbs up Re: Non-veg ex-partner/best mate of 20 years visiting...any ideas?

Thanks! we'll have a go! PEACE! Jennie. xx
    Quote Risker View Post
    Fajitas, fry up some onion, tomato, bell peppers, mushroom and butter beans, mix with some fahjita mix powdery stuff (or add your own spices), add some chopped salad, guacamole and salsa. Wrap the lot in a fajita.
    Life is what you MAKE IT: be glad for what you have, and can do, don't worry about what you don't have, and aren't able to do.

Good idea, Risker. I was thinking curry or stir-fry, but fajitas may seem like more of a "treat" and be less trouble.

Jennie

Thumbs down Re: Non-veg ex-partner/best mate of 20 years visiting...any ideas?

Neither Michael nor myself will eat curry. It's a shame, because I'd learn to cook it otherwise, because young Ross loves it! Still, ya can't have it always I suppose! Jen. xx

Never mind, you can still make curry type dishes and just leave out the curry seasoning (or maybe add some to Ross's portion?). Veg stew type dishes are nice for winter.

^ Good idea, don't forget the dumplings

Chili-sin-carne with Tesco veggie mince and fluffy rice is usually wolfed down by my visiting omni friends. I also do lentil shepherds pie and things - there's a good recipe in Rose Eliott's The Bean Book.

Jennie

Thanks, Harpy and Risker! I regularly make "stew" type dishes in my slow cooker, because it's easy and safe for me to use, in my circumstances. I just need ways of "pepping it up a bit", I think? the usual boring vegetables get a bit repetitive after a while, and I'm wondering about a change of mince? So far since having to stop the quorn, I've used a soya based mince from Redwood foods, and something similar that's frozen and deffo vegan from Morrisons. any other ideas? I was wondering if there was any way of/point in pre-cooking or maranading tofu, and adding that instead of mince? Hmm...your thoughts? Jen. xx

Jennie

Cool Re: Non-veg ex-partner/best mate of 20 years visiting...any ideas?

Thanks Ruby, will check out that book! Am a crap cook, but am gonna really hafta expand on myself lol, if I wanna make this house a vegan friendly one! Thanks again! Jennie. xx
    Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    Chili-sin-carne with Tesco veggie mince and fluffy rice is usually wolfed down by my visiting omni friends. I also do lentil shepherds pie and things - there's a good recipe in Rose Eliott's The Bean Book.

I really don't like using soya mince personally, I'd much rather use kidney beans or some other beans. I like the shepherds pie idea too, it needs plenty of carrots, peas and tobasco sauce and when it's cooked I like to put it under the grill for a bit for a nice crispy browned top.

Jennie

Risker, do you mind if I ask...your objection to using soya mince? is it just personal preference, that you don't like it? Or is there something in it, something about the way it's made, etc, that you don't aprove of? am genuinely interested. w/b. Jen.

It's nothing bad, I just think it's a bit of a lazy ingredient and to me it's a bit like minced wet cardboard. It's just me really, noone else gets why I don't approve of it.

We don't use soy mince much either - I find stuff with TVP a bit indigestible though I get on OK with tofu etc.

Lentils (as well as beans) can be good in dishes that are traditionally made with mince.

Quote Risker View Post
    It's nothing bad, I just think it's a bit of a lazy ingredient and to me it's a bit like minced wet cardboard. It's just me really, noone else gets why I don't approve of it.
    Now, we've been through this, soya mince cannot be considered a lazy ingredient as you'd only used tinned lentils or beans instead of it, which takes no more effort than adding soya mince .

Jennie

Well, it's each to their own, I suppose, but I've always got on alright with it. I gotta say I did prefer quorn, bit of a bummer that it's got egg in lol! Still, stuff happens! there's no way I could do the kidney beans thing...urg gross...but I might give the lentils a go, they're lovely in soups etc. Did I read somewhere on here that you can get falafel mince I've only ever had falafel once, it was like, meatball shaped things, and it was nasty! whether it was how I coked it...I dunno! Any ideas? Jen.

I don't like soya mince much. I usually use a mixture of finely chopped mushrooms and chestnuts instead.

You can get dried falafel mix that you mix with water, shape into balls or patties, then fry.

Jennie

Thankyou Rachel, will look out for that! Slggie, that's an interesting option...will try that also. Thanks again. Jennie. xx

You can buy pre-made falafels in supermarkets and health food shops. You can grill or bake them. I'd say they vary a lot from brand to brand but I like them and they are a handy standby (in the freezer).
    I tried to make some from scratch once, they were horrible and fell to dust!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Jennie

Thanks for that Marrers, perhaps I'll try the pre-made ones again? I only bought them once, they were fresh, from one of the health stores in town? The packaging said you could microwave them, so I did...they were gross! I'll try a different brand, and a different cooking method. thanks again. Jen. xx

It's definitely worth grilling or ovening them - the outisde gets nice and crispy. My least favourite are the easiest to get hold of (Cauldron - double check the ones you see are vegan as I think they have cheese in one of the types). My faves are the Florentin ones (they do a 'Tamruc' flavour one and these are nicest imo).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Falafels need to be fried, fat = flavour.

Jennie

Thankyou Marrers, I will look into the different sorts of makes I can get hold of, and see what I can do. Bugger...I only put in an order with Redwood on sunday, they do falafel, vegi deli, I think, but I by-passed it due to previous experience. Risker, I wil try frying them also for a treat, but do prefer to oven/grill if possible, healthier option, but everyone loves a good fry-up, don't they? mmm, yummy! xx

I quite like the Cauldron ones meself. I think the M&S one are also vegan, or they used to be - haven't looked recently (but beware of their stuffed vine leaves, which aren't, or weren't).

I always do them in the oven - falafels, not stuffed vine leaves. I suspect the commercial ones are fried already so you're just heating them really.

pathologist

Last week for some non-vegans non-veggies I made slow roast red peppers with chickpeas and cherry tomatoes. It is just halved red peppers filled with chickpeas and the toms and then put in the oven on an oiled baking tray/dish for 40 mins or so until done. I put smoked paprika in mine but you can use whatever sesoning, herbs, spices you like if you don't like paprika. It seemed to be enjoyed by the guests (but maybe they were just polite!)

Hi Jennie

My partner is not vegan, but he's happy with my experiments One we like is to boil new potatoes until cooked, Fry some leeks or onions with garlic in oil and then add the cooked potatoes and fry until crispy. I usually serve this with a tin of baked beans poured over the top. It is really nice! (If a little lazy).

I recently added Cauldron marinated tofu fried until crispy as well. I use very little oil, so it's not as bad as it sounds!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

Does Aber have an Marks and Sparks yet? It didn't when I was there, but if it does, their falafels are really nice. I'm always a bit panicky trying to cook for omnis I want to make a good impression on, but my initial suggestion is to put a lot of stuff into puff pastry. Everyone likes puff pastry.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

helen105281

Hello, just found this thread. I have a friend coming for dinner tomorrow who is omni and can't have anything spicy as she has a stomach ulcer. She is also not sure if she can have soya (though she probably eats it most days without realising) but I don't want to risk it. Has anyone got any nice recipes that they would turn to in this kind of situation. I thought of something like a shepherds pie with lentils but my stomach really does not like lentils which is annoying as I love them.

a good (though unorigional) one i do with extremely fussy and traditional english eaters is either home made beans on toast with plenty of tinned tomatos, or vegan toad in the hole.

Mushroom risotto, or mushroom pilaff if you can't be bothered messing around, could be a good solution as omnivores usually recognise that as food and the rice is soothing to the tum. You could include some nuts if you think you'll get away with it, otherwise peas?

Vegan nachos with tortilla chips, refried beans, homemade guacamole, toffutti sour cream

Quote helen105281 View Post
    I thought of something like a shepherds pie with lentils but my stomach really does not like lentils which is annoying as I love them.
    Shepherds pie without lentils? Use beans instead... and peas and carrots of course.

I would probably make a creamy pasta sauce using a milk that isn't soya milk. Spinach and cherry tomato, or spinach and red pepper are really good.

Spinach and baby button mushrooms makes a great lasagne too if you want to steer away from the veggie mince thing