Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Making vegan food for non-vegans

Default Re: Buffet for friends

how did your buffet go raquelle??

Default Cooking for omnis

I've decided to cook dinner for a couple of friends. The problem is that the guy practically survives on a diet of meat only, and barely eats any vegetables at all I have cooked for them before, before I was vegan, and had a tapas party, and even cooked meat for him as a compromise But that was a while ago and this meal is going to be 100% vegan. Does anybody have any suggestions or experience of dishes that omnis and especially hardcore meat eaters have gone wild over? I'm thinking along the lines of a Mexican dinner - chilli with guacamole, salsa and all the trimmings, but any suggestions would be most welcome.

PygmyGoat

Default Re: Help cooking for a hardcore carnivore!

I'd a roast dinner (but I am English!! ) with something Seitan or Veggie Ribs or a good Nut Roast, potatoes, stuffing, veg, etc, followed by fruit and soya ice-cream. Mmm, in fact I think that's what I'll do tonight .

I think that sounds like a good idea. When theres no options he migth have to try to taste something new & different. He migth be picky. Or maybe he loves it.

I think the Mexican idea would probably work well, or something else "ethnic" (maybe a roast dinner would qualify too in Italy ).

I find it's usually better to feed omnivores something they wouldn't normally have, rather than a vegan version of something they would normally have, because that way it's harder to make comparisons. Sometimes they don't even notice that it's vegan.

Good luck!

Legend has it that this guy once ate tofu , but sources are unreliable..

Thanks for your replies by the way, all very valid suggestions and much appreciated.

I'm rather mean about this sort of thing. Unless they have a particular dietary problem, they can eat what I serve all of my guests. You may want to try the whole Tofurkey meal in a box, I've never seen anyone who didn't like that. It comes with wonderful gravy, the tofurkey has stuffing inside and it comes with great apple dumplings. I just throw together a great salad, bread, some side veggies and an awesome dessert. If that's not good enough for them, then poo on them. Personally, I think it's a great tasting meal and a great choice to show them how good vegan food can be.
    The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.

what about curry with something like sweet potato & mushrooms as the main bulking agent?

if you need a recipe that cannot fail to impress let me know! we make in for omnis all the time and they love it

Quote focus View Post
    I'm rather mean about this sort of thing. Unless they have a particular dietary problem, they can eat what I serve all of my guests. You may want to try the whole Tofurkey meal in a box, I've never seen anyone who didn't like that. It comes with wonderful gravy, the tofurkey has stuffing inside and it comes with great apple dumplings. I just throw together a great salad, bread, some side veggies and an awesome dessert. If that's not good enough for them, then poo on them. Personally, I think it's a great tasting meal and a great choice to show them how good vegan food can be.
    focus:
    I get what you're saying, but you have to admit that some types of vegan foods are more "acceptable" to omnis than others, generally speaking. I'm sure most people would agree that some naturally "omni" foods can very easily be veganised and they wouldn't really notice, such as chilli. Remember too that many types of processed foods, Tofurkey included, are not available everywhere, certainly not here in Italy. I've never seen Tofutti, Swedish Glace or Earth Balance. But I do agree that they should be happy to eat what I serve. I just want him to enjoy what he's eating, that's all!

cedarblue:
    That recipe sounds great. Would you mind passing it on?

I like your idea of a mexican meal, it has a strong flavour and good textures that should please most people.

I had a friend like yours who refused to eat vegetables at all, I cooked him a vegan meal but was economical with the truth until after the meal and after he'd said how much he enjoyed it. Had I told him before the meal that it was vegan he would probably have either refused to eat it or decided that he hated it before he even tried it.

Basically he was a fussy eater but then I think that most people who refuse to eat vegetables are.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

It could be a bit more work, but if you did it buffet-style with a lot of different options to pick and choose from he may not feel threatened by the lack of meat and sample lots of different things? I like the mexican food idea, and also indian snack foods (samosas, pakoras, curry, naan bread, puris, etc.) provided he likes spicy food? And there are all kinds of different salady things you could make. I used to go to an arts centre cafe where they had an awesome salad bar which included things like korma potato salad, and marinaded mushrooms.

A # 1 = the purpose of food is to fuel the existance of a souls body to burn at its brightest / healthiest / strongest / most energized state . and what is best at accomplishing this job is RAW PLANT MATTER .

sad thing is that most people of this day dont realize that and are still clinging to our old / wrongful ways of eating . and shall thusly crave cooked slush . so if im you i give zero consideration to what my guest want to eat (see them as babys that dont know whats best and your the mumma ) and present a varied raw food table with the main fuel being a giant vegi rich salad . make a raw dressing of extra virgin olive oil , raw apple cider vinegar , crushed garlic and fresh basil , plus other herbs for salad .

feed em whats healthy , dont care if they whine . then in a few years or so theyll quit pouting and say you know she was correct . BE A LEADER ! !

We have a similar problem. The guest in question will eat veggie sausages. I suggest you don't divert too much from what he normally eats (our guest won't eat "foreign" food) maybe something with fake meat of some sort. Depending what he usually eats.
    It is worth it though. Our friend sometimes buys fake meat products for himself to cook at home now.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

My fiance is a hardcore omni, mainly only eating meat and french fries (I know, it's sad.) However last night I made some vegan burritos for myself using tofo crumbles in place of the "beef." It smelled wonderful and the whole house smelled yummy. Anyway, I had some black beans, an avacado, and some stirfried seasoned veggies on the side with spelt tortillas and he was reallllllllly fighting with himself on eating one. BUT his pride got in the way and he settled for a microwavable dinner, which he ate as he watched me eating all of my lovely foods.

maybe try something like that, it seems that it's very appealing to even the most hard core meat eaters.

Well, the dinner was last night. I made a big bowl of hummus and a bowl of tapenade, and we had crackers and raw veggies (carrot, cucumber and yellow pepper) cut with Japanese veggie cutters, all put together DIY style into crostini-type things. Then I made Cedarblue's African Sweet Potato curry which we ate with some bread, and there was soya ice-cream to finish off. When the guys were out smoking a cigarette, my bf's friend told him he'd eaten really well and was really surprised that vegan food could taste so good I'd say that's a pretty good result...

Thanks again guys for all your input and advice, you were a massive help And to Cedar for the recipe sent from heaven...

i'm so glad you enjoyed it - we have to stop ourselves cooking it too often

Cedar, have you posted your curry recipe anywhere?
    I'm cooking for my friend and her boyfriend, who thinks that a meal without meat is 'not proper food!'
    I was going to make a chilli because I know they like (meat) chilli, but my friend didn't like the sound of that - or to be more accurate she pretended to throw up when veggie mince was mentioned, and she refuses to try any beans other than kidney beans so it would be a pretty boring chilli!
    So a really good curry could be just what I need!

Cat, have you considered making a chili with tempeh instead of meat? That tastes pretty good Cedarblue's recipe is here.

cat if youve never used mushrooms in your chili they really thicken / hearty it up and may go a long way towards replacing meat if you use alot of them .

Just wanted to tell you that the guy I cooked for told my bf the other day that he couldn't wait to eat more of what I'd cooked - seems like the vegan food really made an impact on him. *very happy*

Default Help! Brother Wants Dinner!

Hi,
    I need help! My mom doesn't want to cook 2 meals everynight. So I need a couple recipes that my very non-vegan brother would like to eat. PLEASE HELP!

MM

Default Re: Help! Brother Wants Dinner!

I'd suggest VegWeb. Go there and look around in the various meal types. Although this forum is quite helpful, using vegweb would give you time to plan ahead, as well as get photos and advice on preperation for individual recipes.

^ oooh yes, vegweb is a wonderful resource.

my favorite recipe for suckering my non-vegan brother into eating my cooking is chilli!

sauteed onion and garlic (however much you prefer)
    1 can tomato paste
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can black beans
    1 can hominy (or just regular corn - but i'm a hominy addict)
    some veggie meat crumbles (however much you like)
    cumin and chilli pepper to taste

when i make this for myself i add chopped zuchinni and carrots...but it's fine to leave them out if your brother is like mine and thinks vegetables are pure evil.

VOILA! super easy and completely indistinguishable from the real thing...or at least i think so and my brother hasn't complained!

Thanks a lot! I'll try it!

Default Vegan dinner for omni-family

Hey guys

I'm cooking dinner for my omni-family on Thursday evening. Any ideas? They're big on taste and flavour, and don't mind exotic food. As long as it isn't too "burny" (for my ten-your-old sister)! The dinner is to be complimented by her oven-baked carrot chips.

Thanks very much!
    Kayla xx

Default Re: Vegan dinner for omni-family

How about couscous with some kind of vegetable stew/tagine? If you can buy harissa (hot Moroccan sauce) you could serve it on the side for those that like that kind of thing.

Hah. That's pretty ironic, I just had that this evening, so it won't do, I'm so sorry! But thanks for the input!

Um (racks brains) how about a curry then? Or a stir-fry?

I had a peanut stir-fry in mind. Mmmm... Good idea. My sister always complains when we eat curry... Blahh. It's too burny.

sugarmouse

Default Cooking for parents

:No big deal,but I am a little stuck
    I am going to visit my parents tomorrow and I want to cook something for them.My mothers ill with severe food intolerances, and an underactive thyroid which has only just been diagnosed, she has been ill with it for ages before although they do not know whether it is related to the food intolerances.
    My father, is ill with high blood pressure and side effects of the tablets he takes for its symptoms.In fact he has just stopped taking these tablets because they were making him too ill
    I want to cook them some food because my father always says 'You dont enjoy any of the pleasures of food now!(because of my veganism) and my mother is a little more convinced,but although she likes my soups, she thinks still that I cant cook anything (apart frm that) and I can!
    My parents live in Leeds, 70 miles from me.
    So, I want to cook for them tomorow,something simple,healthy,with not too many ingredients seeing as I have to travel with them or buy them when I get there and I do not have so much time.
    They are the kind of annoying folks who eat meat but use the terms 'But we dont eat much' and 'well we could be vegetarians'...:rolleyes
    So I want something tasty that they will eat !Lol
    I have thought about cooking some low fat pasties, polenta with roast veggies, or someting with soya mince perhaps ...grr i dont know.
    Help anyone ? lol

Default Re: Cooking for parents

What kinds of food is your mother intolerant to?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

sugarmouse

oops should have put that! Sorry.
    From what she tells me, everything! Wheat, dairy (no prob to me lol) anything rich or spicy, fatty, onions ..it just seems she should stick to simple foods as anything too complicated gives her headaches and sweats and makes her skin flare up and she just feels so sick.I do feel sorry for her.

I'd probably avoid soya mince as I think some people find it hard to digest (I know my mum does).

Hmm, will have a think and get back to you. I recently had a similar problem (my parents are quite fussy), I ended up making a lot of salad and at one point I did a nut roast for my dad, which was surprisingly tasty. It's a bit of a cliche though, but some kind of loaf is at least substantial, fairly easy and you can substitute things you know they don't like.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Make a really good Al Dente pasta! Make home-made pesto and add soy meatballs if you'd like. Then make some garlic bread and top it off with some sorbet or vegan ice cream. Nice and simple, and tasty and familiar.
    context is everything

sugarmouse

Thankyou Twinkle and xrodolfox, il have a think and let you know what I do

heat13

Default Cooking for an Omni friend...

I prepared a delicious "meat"loaf, mashed potatoes and gravy. My husband's best (Omni) friend from college was coming into town to stay with us. He hadn't been to visit in awhile so we decided to just let him eat the food and see what he thought... Well, he LOVED the meal and afterwards we told him what it was... he said "I don't care" He told me he is trying to eat "healthier" so I am giving him a few pointers, without trying to "preach" or "force" anything on him. He told me his sister went veg in 1995 after watching a video! (I have never met her). I thought that was really cool. Amd told him about the China Study and Slaughterhouse.

On top of this, I am still looking for ways to help my husband stay nurished while he works LONG days in the Florida heat (I am packing him tofurkey sandwiches with veganaise/mustard, avacado, tomatoes, on sprouted wheat bread. I also put a bag of raw walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, cashews, macadamium, cranberries, raisins, etc... And a air-tight flask with fresh squeezed carrot-apple-spinach-parsley-beet juice).

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them

Default Re: Cooking for an Omni friend...

You can pack my lunches any day!!

I think that's great about your friend. Keep up the good work

Great story Heat! Thanks for sharing with us ... I LOVE when stuff like that happens. Nice to know there are open-minded people in the world. Your friend is blessed to have you

heat13

Thanks guys! I thought it was really neat too... He was visiting us for 3 days and ate vegan meals every night with us He loved them all too (or at least convinced me he did haha)
    I'm not pushy with anything though (don't want to scare him haha) So my husband and I did take him to the grocery store and let him pick out what he wanted for lunch and breakfast. I tried to get him to use our soy milk but no success. Although he did tell me his sister was veggie! I was surprised b/c I never knew. I said "Well, now you can tell her you ate some vegan food and liked it"

It's always nice when omni folk like veg*n food! I introduced my mother to tofu and she absolutely adores the stuff, something I could never have imagined to be honest.

And heat13, your hubbys lunch sounds delish, it'd keep me going throughout the day!

It is a real blessing to have open-minded friends. My crowd of friends contains more than few omnivores, but they are all generally open to trying whatever I bring to the potluck.

Qaxt

Question Omni-friendly recipes?

My entire family is omnivorous, aside from me. Which ends up meaning that I have silken tofu, soy milk, apples, olive oil, and garlic at my disposal (slight exaggeration, but really not much of one).
    I have been doing most of the cooking, and I haven't been cooking meat or dairy (i.e., I've been only cooking pasta with the animal products not included in the recipe).

I am in desperate need of things I can buy (or have my parents buy) that is omni-friendly (i.e. "normal" food, or whatever that is), something I can eat (because I'm absolutely starving right now), and something that is remotely easy/quick to make. However, if it takes a long time and/or isn't that easy, I don't care

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Omni-friendly recipes?

A fellow Ohioan!! Hi!!

What I would suggest is making a big stir fry on top of brown rice with lots of veggies including baby corn and waterchestnuts - mmm... And you could make tofu on the side (and if another family member wanted to make meaty add-ons on the side as well, they can). That way everyone can personalize their dinner the way they like it! And there will more than likely be leftovers, so you're less likely to starve.

Default Re: Omni-friendly recipes?

I cook with tvp (soy) a lot (it looks like ground beef if you get the brown stuff) to make casseroles, spaghetti sauce, taco's, meat loaf, etc. as I wean my family off meat. I know not all of it is vegan but some brands are. I also take familar recipes and find alternatives. My family has reacted positively to no cheese pizza's, veggie/no cheese lasagna, soy dogs, black bean burgers, etc. I also make soups, chili, etc. The possibilities are endless if you can just get a bit creative. Honestly my dh hasn't really bothered me about meat. He'll tease me about it but I know he's kidding. As long as he has "good" food to eat he's pretty easy to please. And he's still definately an omni.

Question Wasn't sure where to post this but need recipe advice!

I am being dragged (kicking and screaming) to my mum's friends house for dinner tomo night. They are cooking lamb. They know that I am vegan and yet refuse to cook a vegan option . . . but anyway, when they invited me I asked if they would mind me bringing some food to share (an idea I got from you clever folks) that was vegan. They reluctantly agreed.

Soooo now I would really appreciate recipe ideas for something that omnis would eat with / instead of lamb. I want it to kind of fit in with what they cook while being yummy and something that I can eat as a main dish, kwim?

I feel that this is an important point in my familys acceptance of my veganism (FINALLY!) so really really want it to be yummy food . . . Argh! Thanks guys.

Default Re: Wasn't sure where to post this but need recipe advice!

right...you know what i'd cook if it were me?

slow sautee up red onion red and yellow maybe green pepper courgette and aubergine..maybe even miss out the aubergine...garlic and rosemary twig..hefty amount of paprika and some marigold bouillon powder..add a tub of passata then transfer it into an ovenware pot/casserole dish..cover it and slow cook it for about4 or 5 hours on number 4 or something like that. it was turn into the most amazing goulashy mush that you can eat woth swoopy posh pasta..or rice or with a vast selection of veg and the omnis can tentatively try a dollop with their lambkin carcass
    Last edited by emmapresley; Jul 3rd, 2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: omnomnom!
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Default Re: Cooking for omnis

Oo that does sound yummy. Am off to the shops in a bit Thanks love.

This lamb thing is going to put me off good and proper though. What if it's on the bone :O Ahhh!

Default Re: Wasn't sure where to post this but need recipe advice!

Quote **Ames** View Post
    I am being dragged (kicking and screaming) to my mum's friends house for dinner tomo night. They are cooking lamb. They know that I am vegan and yet refuse to cook a vegan option . . . but anyway, when they invited me I asked if they would mind me bringing some food to share (an idea I got from you clever folks) that was vegan. They reluctantly agreed.

Soooo now I would really appreciate recipe ideas for something that omnis would eat with / instead of lamb. I want it to kind of fit in with what they cook while being yummy and something that I can eat as a main dish, kwim?

I feel that this is an important point in my familys acceptance of my veganism (FINALLY!) so really really want it to be yummy food . . . Argh! Thanks guys.
    You're 21 now. You dont have to go to this sort of pointless event where they are gonna discuss nonsense over a baby's carcass... and they are not even respectful enough to cater for you. I would personally refuse to go (neither kick nor scream, just say "I am not going, I dont care what you say or do"). You can cook whatever you want for yourself at home.

However, if you do want to cook something yummy (and share), I would make some mushroom rissoto with organic fresh and dried mushrooms, garlic and onion. Add some yeast extract and boullion for the stock and add some carrots and green peas for colour... it takes about 20 mins to cook and 5 mins to prepare.

How did it go? I was thinking the same as Manzana - how can they invite a vegan but refuse to provide vegan food? However, another thing you could have made is cold couscous with roasted veg.

They can because they are rude and inconsiderate. It's funny you both said that because as it happens, I did refuse to go. Well, they only live a couple of streets away from me so I walked round after I knew they would be done eating just so I didn't come across rude. It is the womans birthday today and they had asked my mum to make dessert, my mum is working today so asked me to make desserts instead . . . they are all veganised Mwahahahaha. Can't wait till I tell them mid way through enjoying them LOL. Jerks.