Thread: Typical teenager in need of vegan meals!

Lightbulb Typical teenager in need of vegan meals!

Hi! I'm a typical teenager who likes to eat chips, pizza and chocolate. I have recently turned vegan, and my mum is struggling to find stuff for me to eat. I like Quorn products but most/all of them contain milk/eggs. PLZ HELP!!!

LittleNellColumbia

Default Re: Typical teenager in need of vegan meals!

Hi Ms Gryff V3G4N!

I too am a teen vegan and love to eat all those yummy goodies!
    There are lots of good vegan alternative available in supermarkets such as vege mince for tacos, or vege sausages or burgers.
    Also some of Borgs pies are vegan, and so are Nanas apple pies!
    Depending on where you live, there are lots of vegan products available for order of even nearby to buy. There are lots of veg websites with vegan cakes, frozen meals, stapels etc.
    Toffuti is a great brand, they make vegan pizza and cookies!
    Good luck and i hope ive helped a bit

Hello

Linda McCartney foods are usually available in supermarkets and (according to an old e-mail I have) the following ones are meant to be vegan now: Sausages, Sundried Tomato Sausages, Country Slices, Deep Country Pies and Sausage rolls (both sizes). You could also get hold of the Vegan Society's book "Animal Free Shopper" which lists vegan products (you can also access their database on line for nothing). Plus there are on-line shops like Goodness Direct that sell a range of vegan convenience foods, as do large wholefood shops like Fresh and Wild if you're near one of their branches.

However an even better bet might be to get hold of a vegan recipe book and/or look at some recipe web sites like this one http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/ Depending on convenience foods too much is expensive and not very healthy.

prilly-pie

"cauldron" do some great burgers and sausages.. and for the sweet tooth, alpro soya make some delicious desserts in different flavours

VeganJohn

You can buy a ready made organic stew in Morrisons, it is part of the Carol Vorderman range and is excellent. Also available in Morrisons is Soya milk for 99p and sage and onion slices.

Other fairly cheap foodstuffs you can buy are Tofu and Falafel.

Shouldn't really promote Morrisons though, due to my recent experiences!

VeganJohn

Quote ladyaprille
    "cauldron" do some great burgers and sausages.. and for the sweet tooth, alpro soya make some delicious desserts in different flavours
    I was under the impression that the Cauldron range of sausages and burgers contained ingredients such as cheese and egg albumen??

VeganJohn

Quote happycow
    Hi Ms Gryff V3G4N!

Toffuti is a great brand, they make vegan pizza and cookies!
    Good luck and i hope ive helped a bit
    Wow, ready made vegan pizzas?? I'd be interested to know what these are like!

prilly-pie

thats odd :S i contacted cauldron and was assured the products were vegan suitable. oh im worrying now

Some Cauldron products are fine, but you do have to read the ingredients - I think they do about 4 or 5 different types of burgers, and some are vegan but some (the mushroom one, for example) definitely have egg white in them.

I really like Frys stuff - their hot dogs are really similar to the Tivali or Tesco veggie ones, but without the egg. And they do lovely schnitzels. Not quite so keen on their burgers but my last boyfriend liked them a lot.

Talking Re: Typical teenager in need of vegan meals!

i dont know if you guys have amy's organics in the uk...

there are a few items that are frozen and vegan.... burritos, pizza, bean loafs... fun things that everyone likes!

my best suggestion though is to learn how to cook! i wish i would have done that earlier in my life...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I've found quite a few good vegan items around here, Boca, which has changed many of their recipes to vegan, cutting out eggs and milk. Unfortunately I've yet to find their products on the shelves.

Also, Tofutti makes a load of wonderful stuff, ice cream, pizzas, cream cheese, sour cream, mozz cheese, they have a varied selection.

Also, I've been able to find English Muffins, Mac & Cheese, Vegan Mayo.

So much good 100% animal free food.

I must say, I fell in love with some of these foods and quite easily forgot the animal filled foods!
    Alicia

"As long as people will shed the blood of innocent creatures there can be no peace, no liberty, no harmony between people. Slaughter and justice cannot dwell together."

Are the vegan pizzas nice? How similar are they to non-vegan pizzas? Thanks everyone for your suggestions, if u have any more it would b great to hear them! Do u no any nice milkshakes, coz I'm worried about how little calcium I now have.

LittleNellColumbia

uh oh.......ive sinned.....i havnt actually tried the tofutti pizzas because i cant find them.......but i've been on the Tofutti website so i assure you they do exist! sorry guys!

The pizzas are actually, really good. In fact, I'm eating one now! What a good breakfast. Tofutti and soy delisious make a good variety of ice creams that make very good chocolate shakes. Which, when added to soymilk or rice mlk give your body a healthy amount of calcium. Also though, be sure you're getting enough vitamin D, that helps your body to absorb the calcium, (That's why they put it in cow's milk). Vitamin D can be obtained either from certain multivitamins, seperate vitamins, or just by being in the sun your body can make its own.

If you want to try a really good shake, try this recipe.

1 1/4 cup soy milk
    4 strawberries - frozen
    1/2 cup blue berries
    1 banana - frozen ( I usually leave the banana out )
    Blend

(It's good!)
    Alicia

"As long as people will shed the blood of innocent creatures there can be no peace, no liberty, no harmony between people. Slaughter and justice cannot dwell together."

Are the pizzas similar to non-vegan pizzas, or are they just nice as something completely different, if you see what I mean.

Talking Re: Typical teenager in need of vegan meals!

The Toffuti pizzas I buy taste no different than a non-vegan pizza. They're kind of like Ellios. Well, I'm not sure if they make more than one kind of pizza but the ones I buy are like Ellios. You get three squared slices.

Tofutti Pizza
    Alicia

Do you know any online shops in the UK which sell the Tofutti pizza, please?

I'm sorry, I don't. If you visit the Toffuti website, check out the store finder section, and they'll tell you what stores in your area are known to carry their products.

Toffuti Store Finder
    Alicia

I don't want to seem like the party pooper, but isn't everyone forgetting?...........

Fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains (brown rice, quinoa, and whole wheat pastas are easy to cook and delicious), and nuts and beans?

[QUOTE=jjdaiquiri]i dont know if you guys have amy's organics in the uk...

there are a few items that are frozen and vegan.... burritos, pizza, bean loafs... fun things that everyone likes! QUOTE]

yumm Amy's Organic cheeseless veggie pizza is absolutely amazing. it doesn't have any type of cheese what so ever but the sauce is so delicious and i am very fond of it. i highly recommend it.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Quote Tigerlily
    I don't want to seem like the party pooper, but isn't everyone forgetting?...........

Fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains (brown rice, quinoa, and whole wheat pastas are easy to cook and delicious), and nuts and beans?

Well, of course that's the best part of all the meals, the freshness of fruits and veggies. Best part is mixing fresh veggies with pastas, mmm. That's what I had for dinner, pasta, beans and spinach, fresh spinach.Mmmm.

And for desert, a smoothie...A nice cold smoothie to keep me cool, it's about 100 degrees here today.. (sigh) too hot...
    Alicia

I love pasta and rice, although no too keen on most sauces or curries! I love different styles of bread as well, like garlic bread and pitta and naan! Homemade garlic bread is amazingly tasty, with vegetable soup!

i have never seen the toffuti pizza in shops, but most of the vegan convenience (and non vegan) foods are way too expensive for what they are. pizza is really easy to make anyway, you can make the base or buy pizza bases and put whatever you want on top (:
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

I know, but pizza isn't the same without cheese! And I've heard that vegan cheese is gross.

Not all vegan cheese is equally gross. If you can get some of the new "supermelting" Cheezly (made by Redwood) that is quite good on top of a pizza - you can even get a mozzarella style version I think.

Mind you cheeseless pizza is fine too as long as you put enough other tasty stuff on top. In Italy some pizzas are automatically made without cheese - you don't even have to ask them to leave it off!

Smile Re: Typical teenager in need of vegan meals!

Amy's is an awesome brand! I think all of their soups are vegan and most of their burritos. Also they have such an extensive variety of things, I haven't looked at everything, but a lot of it is vegan. I know i used to eat anything made by Amy's when I was a vegetarian, and now I still really love their stuff. Pasta is great to round out meals and things, and tofu that you marinate in whatever kind of sauce u like (i.e.Organic BBQ Sauce) and then baked at a really high temp is great too, and it's o so simple. Mmm...makes me hungry just thinking about it, lol.

I bought this cookbook for my veg*n daughter. There's some really good recipes in it.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

hi i found this article type thing which tells you about brands of food thats vegan http://www.viva.org.uk/guides/l-plate/vegan/p02.htm

I put dollpos of Toffuti garlic and herb "cream cheese" on pizza. It doesn't melt, but goes kind of crispy on the outside when it's cooke. It's really yummy!

Cool. My dad made pizza the other day, and put sosomix 'meatballs' on top. It was ok. When my mum makes things like pasta bake or lasange or something, she puts this dairy-free cheese thing which works quite well. Or just breadcrumbs!

I made a really quick pasta bake for dinner tonight...I was planning on having lasagna but didn't have any lasagna noodles. It was pata (i used quinoa pasta), some sauce, some cut up veggies and tofu, and then some nutritional yeast sprinkled over the top, it was very good, and would've been like lasagna had I had the noodles. But it was ideal cuz it was easy, and required very little of my time.

PhilipBawa

Hello,

I don't know if anyone still reads this thread, but I'm posting anyway.

I've found that the only things I really like eating are the things I make up as I go along...

I have a few basic recipes in my mind, but I like to create from those ideas, but I LOVE to make up my own stuff.

Just yesterday, I came up with a stuffed roasted tomato(e?)...

Scoop out the tomato(e?) guts, stuff it with whatever you like...I used rice, garlic, onions, sea salt, jalepen(NyA)o(eS?), oregano and basil with olive oil for the outside of the tomato(e?).

Then find a small thingy to put the edible contraption into and bake it for as long as you like, less time=(s) less tough tomato(e?)...longer makes for something like what we go through when we pass McDonalds (copyright infringement- no one tell on me please)- but edible!!!.

enjoy watching your families eat (I know I don't).

Philip

Thanks. Yes I still read this thread. Has anyone tried sweetcorn fritters? They're gorgeous!
    "I'd rather be hated for wot I am, than loved for what I'm not"

I've made my own sweetcorn fritter type of things where I added corn to pancakes and that was really good, but I've never had actual sweetcorn fritters, but they sound delish!
    Peace Love Surf.

They were! Especially with tomatoe ketchup!!

LittleNellColumbia

Tell ya what Ms Gryff V3G4N, if you were a milk choccy addict before, you wanna get your hand on these! They are exactly like Arnott Tim Tims and Mint Slice....... you'll love em. promise

(LEDA LUXURY BISCUITS)

http://www.ledanutrition.com/products/products

ph63228

what can i say??? find your local healthfood shop and find stuff to eat, mix different things and make your own sausage mixes etc etc etc

for any specific resipies my mum knows them all so e-mail!!

RubyDuby

Smile Re: Typical teenager in need of vegan meals!

A bunch of people mentioned Amy's chessesless pizza. I love it too, but I usually cover it with mounds of frozen spinach, fresh tomato slices and basil. You can also buy cornmeal pizza crusts and top them with whatever you choose- I like bruscetta topping and frozen corn/black bean mix. My new thing is experimenting with different marinade for baked tofu. The other day I marinated slices of tofu and slices of portabello mushrooms in Italian dressing, bake tofu 45 min @350, add shrooms for 10 more minutes. top fresh leafy greens, shredded lettuce and grape tomatoes with baked tofu and shrooms. omigod was it good!!

all of those things sound delish!
    Peace Love Surf.

Thanks everyone. Any more recipes would be fantastic!

RubyDuby

Eggplant "Calzone"
    Put a layer of sliced eggplant, tomatoes, mushrooms, and thinly sliced onions on foil covered cookie sheet. Drizzle olive oil on top. Sprinkle on S&P, basil, oregano, nutritional yeast, (any spices that you like). Bake in preheated oven until sizzling and eggplant is cooked. Warm a whole pita bread in oven before cutting in half. This creates a steam pocket inside and its much easier to open after cutting in half. Then you can either fill the pocket with veggies and dip in marinara, or toss veggies in marinara sauce and fill pita with that. yum.
    Cream of Carrot Soup
    Problem is I winged this concoction so measurements are unknown really. Boil 12 carrots cut into sticks until almost soft. Add about 8 oz frozen broccoli and cauliflower until hot and carrots are soft. Drain most of the water, but leave a cup or 2 (?) in the pot. Dissolve one veggie boullion in the pot. Add a cup or 2 (?) soy milk about 1/4-1/2 cup soy creamer. Lots of S&P. Blend with hand blender (or any food processor). Reheat and serve.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.