Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you eat for the first time today?

Default What did you eat for the first time today?

?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: What did you eat for the first time today?

A vegan veggie burger. It was pretty good, even though I'm not looking to find alternatives to meat which taste like meat. But I'm working on a project so I don't have time to cook up something better, but I needed something that was substantial enough to sustain me through my all-night session. Which I ought to get back to now...
    Last edited by Yoggy; Jul 26th, 2005 at 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

homemade onion rings dipped in pancake batter rather than fake egg and flour. yummy!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I have eaten both of these things many times before, but not together - medjool dates stuffed with tahini. *drooling right now* - tastes just like halva, but like a million times yummier.

yogini

i bought nutritional yeast for the first time this week. ive been having it on EVERYTHING! and eating it by itself..
    is it possible to overdose on b vitamins? cause i love vegemite too.

yogini

has anyone tried a fresh pomegranate? i want to try one but dont know where to get them. havent seen them in scotland..

I finally got some nutritional yeast, today, too. It's bloomin hard to get round here. Had a quick taste and I can see me putting it in all sorts of things, too.

well not today exactly, but in the last week i tried dried prunes for the first time. i kind of always associated prunes with old ladies until now. but they are yummy!

yogini

rob have you found any good combinations yet with the n.yeast?
    ive found it goes well with tomatoes and avocado on malted bread. .but i didnt like it on cereal..

tofu monster if you soak them in a little bit of water overnight they get more juicy!!!

ConsciousCuisine

I really can't think of anything I haven't eaten

yogini

have you eaten anko?

anko is a sweet bean paste made from red aduki beans and sugar..its japanese and they use it as a filling in their pounded rice sweets. i used to eat it on toast!!!! it beats the hell out of jam!

ConsciousCuisine

Yes I make little buns and Daifuku filled with Anko. Have you eaten Natto? It is also Japanese. I love macrobiotic foods!

yogini

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Yes I make little buns and Daifuku filled with Anko. Have you eaten Natto? It is also Japanese. I love macrobiotic foods!
    yay, another daifuku fan! i love ichigo daifuku and sakura mochie..i lived in japan for two years, and ate natto only once, by mistake. i couldnt stomach it... do you like natto?

where did you learn to make daifuku? did you also live in japan?

Porridge with raisins

Do you make your own Anko or do you buy it readymade. And where can it be bought? Or do you have recipes....

yogini

Quote Marie
    Do you make your own Anko or do you buy it readymade. And where can it be bought? Or do you have recipes....
    i used to buy it, and also make my own in japan..its easy to make. i used to just guess-timate the amounts but heres a recipe i found on the web which sounds about right..

Anko (Adzuki Bean Paste)

1 cup adzuki beans
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Water

Soak adzuki beans in water overnight.

Heat beans in a pot with one cup of water. When they come to a boil, add two more cups of cold water. When they come to a boil again, drain the beans in a colander.

Return the beans to the pot, add three cups of new water, and cook over high heat. When the beans begin to jump around after the water comes to a boil, turn the heat down to low and simmer until the beans are soft, about one hour. If necessary, add water so that the beans are always covered. skim off any foam that appears on the surface.

When the beans are soft enough to break between your fingers, drain them in a colander.

Return the beans to the pot again and mix in the sugar.

Mash the beans continuously over medium heat until almost all the water has evaporated and a paste has formed, about 35 minutes.

Add the salt and stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes more.

Remove from heat and transfer the paste to a container so that it can cool.

The paste may be kept in the refrigerator for three days and then frozen. (Makes 2 cups.)

yummy!!good luck!

Quote screamingcarrot
    tofu monster if you soak them in a little bit of water overnight they get more juicy!!!
    i've tried that but it gets a little uncomfortable after a while. hang on... you're talking about prunes aren't you?

yogini

Quote Tofu Monster
    i've tried that but it gets a little uncomfortable after a while. hang on... you're talking about prunes aren't you?
    what prunes?

Talking Re: What did you eat for the first time today?

Quote screamingcarrot
    what prunes?
    lol

i made bbq sietan today!!

ive had it in other things, but i have wanted to try it w/ bbq for a while now!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I love stewed prunes!

yogini

Quote jjdaiquiri
    lol

i made bbq sietan today!!

ive had it in other things, but i have wanted to try it w/ bbq for a while now!
    ive never had seitan... ive never seen it sold here actually. what does it taste of?

Quote screamingcarrot
    ive never had seitan... ive never seen it sold here actually. what does it taste of?
    Shit IMO!!!

Quote screamingcarrot
    rob have you found any good combinations yet with the n.yeast?
    ive found it goes well with tomatoes and avocado on malted bread. .but i didnt like it on cereal..
    I tried making a cheesy and mushroom sauce for pasta - using the yeast flakes to make it cheesy. I didn't quite get it cheesy enough, I need to work on the recipe a bit.

yogini

Quote Rob(QG)
    I tried making a cheesy and mushroom sauce for pasta - using the yeast flakes to make it cheesy. I didn't quite get it cheesy enough, I need to work on the recipe a bit.
    sounds good . try watching big brother while making dinner, that should make it a little more cheesy

Pureed cauliflower and pureed carrot - well the first time since I was a baby anyway

I had an Amy's cheeseless pizza yesterday. I've had those pizzas before, but this time, I made a couple of additions.

I added some chopped Yves "chicken" tenders and some soy cheese for the last 5 minutes of cooking. YUM!

Aubergine teriyaki - aubergine, onion, peppers, mushrooms, mixed bean sprouts in Sharwood's Teriyaki sauce, with brown rice.

Yum!

A lovely malt loaf thing my Mum made. It tastes a little like Fig Rolls (which I don't think are vegan).

Lots of things, well two actually! I had split pea soup, although we used some other type of pea, and you know that Orgran egg replacer, i had that in my pancake, which tasted no different to non-vegan pancakes!

for the first time today i ate

raspberrys and chopped banana with dairy-free ice cream and lashing of creem (soya cream)

it was damn good, just as good as dairy stuff!

xx

I made myself a smoothie yesterday and haven't used these ingredients together before: organic banana, chopped peach, chopped mango and organic apple juice and ice.

Usually I use soy milk in smoothies - but I found it a lot more refreshing with the apple juice which is so deliciously sweet!

Well, I just found this thread and am happy to report that Thursday I discovered Medjool dates! OMG - you are so right Banana, they taste like carmel and are awesome! I gobbled them up, so today I bought some more at a normal grocery store (the other ones were from my co-op) and they were dry and yucky and I fed them to my dog. : ( Are dates expensive in Australia? They were $6.99 USD a pound here (that probably doesn't mean much to you huh?).

the same day I discovered curried cashews at the co-op. Doggie like those too.

Today i tried Hansen's Natural Raspberry soda. It was on sale for $1.59 a six pack.

Yum, I'm eating now a toasted 7 grain bread tomato (fresh from my sis's garden) sandwich, with my new Trader Joe's Reduced Fat Mayonaise (eggless and dairyless). I used to buy Veganese for mayo, but this new stuff is so much cheaper and tastes almost just as good!!
    Yesterday for the first time I had their Thai Green Curry Sauce with coconut milk in it, wow what a hot spicey kick to it!!!

I had Earth Balance Whipped margarine for the first time Thursday. I had only ever had the regular.

yogini

i finally bought a bottle of flaxseed oil. id been taking flax in capsule form..
    i was afraid it would taste fishy..but it wasnt too bad.
    had it in a salad. but not sure what else im going to do with it..

LittleNellColumbia

The other day i tried Avacado sandwhiches after hearing Banana talk about how yummy they were.......and she was sooooooooo right!! they are my new fave food!

I love avacado sandwhiches! In fact I think I will have one for lunch. What did you put in yours?

Maya

Quote happycow
    The other day i tried Avacado sandwhiches after hearing Banana talk about how yummy they were.......and she was sooooooooo right!! they are my new fave food!
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

cross barer

Today I had a potato and spinach roll from the students organic food co-op at uni. It's a pastry made by this special Indian chef who caters to organic places around Melbourne and I'm working my way through his vegan products. I've tried the dahl pie, tofu and pumpkin pie, and now the roll which was the best!

It made my toes curl...

The other day I bought for the first time Lara bar things for the first time and Cliff bars line of vegan bars along with Organic fiber bars. They are alll really good! I really enjoy them.. the rest of my family didn't as much, but they are accustomed to gross fatty junk food.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

I just tried Tamale Molly Black Bean & Chipotle vegan tamales.
    These things ROCK!!!!!
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

Yesterday I had 2 silly yak's chocolate chunk & pecan cookies. They are gluten free (and vegan) and delish delish

LittleNellColumbia

Quote maya
    I love avacado sandwhiches! In fact I think I will have one for lunch. What did you put in yours?

Maya
    I had like a whole half of an avacado so it was full and squishy (lol im a piggy) and i put some herbamere on it, which is a vegetable salt which is really yummy!! lol its seem the ole avacado sandwhich is becoming increasinly popular amoung us vegans, what did you have on yours??

cross barer

I tried another thing from the co-op today, "birds nest" which was mashed potato wrapped around a spicy mushroom bolognaise type thing then dipped in something spikey like little pine needles (giving the birds nest appearance) then baked.

It was pretty good, but I only had about 5 minutes between lectures and it was definately not an eat on the run type food. I have to learn to get there earlier on thursdays and eat before my first lecture.

yogini

Quote happycow
    I had like a whole half of an avacado so it was full and squishy (lol im a piggy) and i put some herbamere on it, which is a vegetable salt which is really yummy!! lol its seem the ole avacado sandwhich is becoming increasinly popular amoung us vegans, what did you have on yours??
    i love them too!
    avocado, sliced tomato and heaps of salt on brown bread. maybe some baby spinnach...heaven.

last night i bought 'green and blacks' brand vegan hot chocolate with orange twist and spices..mix.
    it tasted so exotic and i had it with soya milk.

Yesterday for the first time in soooo long I finally had any form of ice cream again! Figured I deserved a treat once in a while eventhough its not all that healthy. I had Soy Delicious Peanut Butter and Chocolate ice cream and it was yummyy and tasted just like the ice cream i remember!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

The other day I had an Amy's brand frozen Black Bean Enchilada Meal with beans and rice on the side.

I had one 7 years ago (when vegetarian) and I couldn't eat it - I thought it was horrible! They were on sale at the store so I picked on up a few weeks ago for when I am running late in the morning and don't have time to make a lunch.

It was sooo yummy! I suppose it was my tastebuds that changed, and not their recipe....

I just tried Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese...it was really good! I had been avoiding it because of the hydrogenated oils, but today at the hfs they had the non-hydrogenated kind and it was on sale too!

Woohoo!

It was very creamy and not as salty as milk cream cheese. I was kinda leary of it, as most substituites for cheese I don't like the smell or feel of. But this stuff smells OK. I figured nothing could taste worse than fat free milk cream cheese - that stuff is much more "fake" than this!

So, I tried a few tablespoons on some corn chips with some salsa and green olives - pretty good!

It was a total splurge - I am not sure how often I would really want to eat it. I was never a big fan of of cream cheese on its own, mainly just ate it on bagels. But I know a lot of dip recipes call for it, do i will have to dig up some recipes.

Today, for the first time, I ate a home-made mayonnaise.

I put into the blender a pkt of silky tofu, some ground garlic, a Tbspn each of water, olive oil, and 6 semi-dried tomatoes drained of oil, then pureed until creamy. I also seasoned with a herbal powder. Then on a plate of watercress, parsley, tofu pieces, and chunks of some boiled beetroot, I dressed the lot with my home-made mayonnaise. Delicious, and I've saved some mayonnaise for tomorrow.
    Eve

Mmmmmm that sounds yummy Eve!

Quote eve
    Today, for the first time, I ate a home-made mayonnaise.

I put into the blender a pkt of silky tofu, some ground garlic, a Tbspn each of water, olive oil, and 6 semi-dried tomatoes drained of oil, then pureed until creamy. I also seasoned with a herbal powder. Then on a plate of watercress, parsley, tofu pieces, and chunks of some boiled beetroot, I dressed the lot with my home-made mayonnaise. Delicious, and I've saved some mayonnaise for tomorrow.
    When I went to Lentil As Anything on Saturday night, I had a gross Tofu mayonnaise that was served on the side. I hope yours was tastier then that and by the sounds of it, it certainly was