Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you eat for the first time today?

Default Re: What did you eat for the first time today?

For my lunch I had garlic and coriander naan bread (vegan of course!) topped with "Pure" non-dairy spread and caramelised onion houmous (mmmm...). This was my first time for this. I also had winter vegetable soup (although its a hot day) with nutritional yeast topping and half a tin of sliced peaches.

I discarded the grapes I bought from Sainsbury's, they were really naff although they say "we care about the quality of our fruit and vegetables". Oh, well something else to be taken with a pinch of salt.

red bananas!!!
    Knottykc

Yesterday i ate vegan icecream for the first time!! It was almond chocolate fudge soy icecream. I shared a cup with my mom and she loved it too! She was so surprised it was my first time eating vegan icecream.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

yay i finally tried nutritional yeast, tasty!

I am trying quinoa for the first time tomorrow!

ooooo awesome! i love quinoa! I always cook it with low salt veggie stock + water (1:1 mix) and add garlic powder while its cooking. Just remember to rinse it, first! It's yummo with black beans, too!

Quinoa is da bomb, yo.

pavotrouge

I forgot to tell you... I tried Swiss vegan cheese (called "no-muh chäs"-"no-moo-cheese" ^^) for the first time on Tuesday. It was really good and amazingly cheesy, almost too cheesy for my taste (I never liked dairy cheese).

However, this leads to the conclusion that, no matter how much of an Anglophile I am, German and Swiss cheese substitutes rock.

Leeks! I've always wanted to try them as I was sure I'd like them, but just never did. Then tonight we went out for dinner and I gave the chef license, and he made potatoes with leeks. Now I am going to put them in everything.

It's funny, I've been reading this thread and didn't think I could ever contribute because I feel like I've at least tried almost everything. I was wrong. I'll look for more new stuff to try.

Like German vegan Swiss Cheese. Sounds awesome, Steffi!
    veganhomemade.wordpress.com

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Yesterday i ate vegan icecream for the first time!! It was almond chocolate fudge soy icecream. I shared a cup with my mom and she loved it too! She was so surprised it was my first time eating vegan icecream.

*drool* that sounds like a yummy flavour! You've put me in the mood for some soy icecream now

Quote jamboxrock View Post
    Leeks!
    you crazy fool! how could you go so long not having had leeks?!

Dry roasted wasabi edamame! They were larger and lighter than regular soy nuts (and still green), with a touch of wasabi that was not too overpowering. I tossed a handful on top of a salad. Yum!

twisted tea. its a mixture of half iced tea and half lemonade; somehow it has some alcohol in there, too.
    such a perfect drink and soooo good!

Sounds good. Did you buy it at the liquor store? Or where?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

We bought it last night, but I was pretty wasted so I have no idea where I got it! I'd guess the laws are different in Canada for alcohol sales. In my state, it's not legal to sell alcohol in any regular store except restaurants and liquor/ beer stores. But it varies from state to state. Can you buy alcohol in grocery stores in Canada?

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    you crazy fool! how could you go so long not having had leeks?!
    I know! Today for the first time I had millet. With leeks. I like millet, will probably eat it pretty often. I know it's still supposed to be a little crunchy when cooked, but I think next time I'll add more liquid and cook a bit longer. I cooked mine with olive oil and chicken broth powder, then added sauteed leeks, parsley and lemon zest at the end. Very nice.
    veganhomemade.wordpress.com

i got some organica white chocolate after all the fuss that this stuff gets folk going on a love hate type thing.

it's alright.
    for almost 3 quid a bar though..
    though it tasted ok..it's got an aftertaste like when your mouth goes watery just before you're gonna chuck up. too sweet..cos of the rice stuff maybe??
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I'm not sure it's the rice's fault; it's the overpriced violently vanilla flavoured sugary fat IMHO.

A vegan muffin. I just moved where there is vegan deli/bakery. I'd never had any vegan baked good before. Let me just say... YUM!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

nakd cereal bars and sheese garlic and herb cream sheese, not together. it was the vegan fayre this weekend but i had a tonne of revision so couldn't go, but my omi friend went for me and bought me a veritable feast of vegan goodies!

i know a couple of people who are pretty obsessed with durian, and they let me taste it. it's a thai fruit of some sort. the texture was really gross, but the fruit tasted ok. i can't say that i liked it though.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Packed green coconut water. Usually(always), I drink fresh.

mixed beans in chilli sauce usually I never like the thought of beans, but I had some so thought I'd better use em - and they were LOVELY!

Okra that wasn't chewy and that I actually enjoyed

desmond jones

vegan blueberry pie i made. came out a bit watery, but overall it was pretty good. all organic

I made tofu scramble, with a pack of wood cotton tofu, some marigold boullion, spring onions and tomatoes, then I added some pak choi and rice. It was delicious so I will make tofu scamble regularly now. I bought another 2 packs of the tofu.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

ellaminnowpea. i live in the states as well but here you can sell alchohol in grocery stores and the like. it doesn't have to be a strictly liquor store.

today i tried apple butter. it was delicious. yuum

BlackCats

I had artichokes for the first time today, they were marinated in garlic and oil. They are quite meaty in texture and they reminded me a bit of Quorn pieces.

That sounds nice Aphro

Today I tried a black apricot for the first time. It had a black skin, and it was fuzzyish like an apricot. When I bit into it though, it was like a black plum. It was very nice and refreshing.

I've never heard of a black apricot Roxy! It sounds good! I'll try to find some around here.

Today I tried a barbecued pizza sub. I got the recipe from The New Vegetarian Grill (minus the cheese). It was very good. I love this cookbook, it gave me so many ideas for things to make on the barbecue besides veggie burgers and veggie kebabs. It's not a vegan cookbook, but the vast majority of recipes are vegan, and the rest can be easily veganized by leaving out the cheese.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

i made a casserole type dish the other day in one of my expirimental fooding kicks...

i basically marinated two zuccinis, and two portabella caps... wile baking an eggplant...

then i sauteed the lot with some carmalized onions wile making some tomato & basil sauce from scratch...

then i added a cup of quinoa to the tomato sauce and poured it and the veggies into a square baking dish, mixed it up, baked for 20 minutes, stirred, and baked for another 20.

and its DELISH!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Baked acorn squash, fresh figs, and ground flax seed (I throw in stir fries or oatmeal) are all pretty new to me.

I just recently bought Vega powder "Complete Whole Food Health Optimizer: All-in-one, natural plant-based formula" I put it in my smoothies. This stuff is amazing. 100% b12 (as cyanocobalamin), 100% calcium, 100% iron (as citrate), 26g complete alkaline-forming protein (from: hemp, yellow pea, organic brown rice, and whole flax seed)... in one serving... (and more + + +) It's a keeper.

And this morning I made a wrap from lavash bread, hummus, some leftover lentil salad I made a few days ago (w/ sweet onions, green onion, garlic, celery, bell peppers, and a little tomato sauteed a little bit in veg broth but still crunchy), avocado, and spinach... sprinkled w/ lemon juice and lemon pepper.
    ^_^

raw courgette pasta and marinara sauce, niiiice

Quote screamingcarrot View Post
    i bought nutritional yeast for the first time this week. ive been having it on EVERYTHING! and eating it by itself..
    is it possible to overdose on b vitamins? cause i love vegemite too.

Can you give me some examples of what you do with your nutritional yeast? I bought some the other week and so far I've only tried a recipe for salad dressing (nutritional yeast, miso and olive oil) which was horrible. other than that i really dunno what to do with it???
    Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal. ~Ingrid Newkirk

eta I was thinking yeast extract, not nutritional yeast, sorry. I think nutritional yeast can be sprinkled on top of or stirred into anything - like soups, stews and salads.

I've only recently started eating yeast extract myself. When I had Natex I put it in soups, stews and gravy as well as spreading it on toast. But now I have Essential I am dipping nuts and raw carrot in it as well (so far - I've only had it for a 2 days!)
    Last edited by Marrers; Jan 24th, 2009 at 01:10 AM. Reason: brain fog - I'm obsessed with yeast extract!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

vegan donuts
    The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Don't you mean home-made jelly vegan donuts! Sounds delicious - how did they come out?
    eta Don't worry, I've seen the thread where you give the recipe and pictures now, they look great!
    Last edited by Marrers; Jan 24th, 2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: found there is a thread about the jelly doughnuts
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I just had vanilla (coconut milk) icecream for the first time today! It was yummo! It's Purely Decadent brand, I'd recommend it!

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    I just had vanilla (coconut milk) icecream for the first time today! It was yummo! It's Purely Decadent brand, I'd recommend it!
    Oooohh...I just had the Purely Decadent cookie dough ice cream made with coconut milk for the first time a few weeks ago. It was amazing...
    I haven't tried the vanilla yet.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Yest'day I had Soyatoo whippable soya cream, it was actually alright! Went well w/ lamington cupcakes
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    Oooohh...I just had the Purely Decadent cookie dough ice cream made with coconut milk for the first time a few weeks ago. It was amazing...
    I haven't tried the vanilla yet.
    So between the two of us, we're proving to Wegmans that theres a demand for vegan stuff?! I didn't realize they had a cookie dough, but I was looking forward to try the peanut butter one next week. I'm like on an icecream schedule... a new flavour each week!

been on a gastronomic adventure today;
    dried peach
    dried pear
    sun dried banana
    raw chocolate with acai and blueberrys (omg i was speechless it was so good)
    wakame

tasty tasty day

I made vegan chocolate mousse!

pavotrouge

yum? tofu-based? I'm looking for a mousse recipe that doesn't involve blending tofu, I can't stand tofu in sweet things

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    yum? tofu-based? I'm looking for a mousse recipe that doesn't involve blending tofu, I can't stand tofu in sweet things
    Tofu puts me off vegan cheezecakes and mousse too. What about a raw mousse?

http://bakingfairy.blogspot.com/2006...-saturday.html

http://koshersoulfood.blogspot.com/2...te-mousse.html

And yest'day I went to a cafe that does raw foods and I bought one of their raw chocolate fudgy wudgy slices, it was delicious! I only ate half because it was v.rich

Yannoh vanilla coffee substitute. Yannoh? Surely they mean Yummoh?

a ridiculously over-priced amy's microwaveable dinner. Yummy though. Don't know if it's expensive everywhere or just here.

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    It was based off of almond cream. I wrote more detailed elsewhere (I forget; maybe will post a link later), but basically you take about a cup (or 3/4 cup almonds, put it in hot water about 30 minutes and pop them out of the outsides, then soak another 30 minutes to an hour, blend with about a half cup to a cup of water and a previously processed three dates, and some vanilla extract if you wish. It has to be blended for a couple minutes, about two.

Note that if you want it Really Smooth, you may want to strain it or put it through cheesecloth or something. I didn't have that though, and I just popped them out of the outsides during the soaking in hot water process I mentioned (it was hot tap water, not like over the stove), and it turned out fine for these purposes. Don't expect it to be the consistency of cool whip, but it should be rather fine and creamy. If not, it needs more blending and stirring.

The mousse was made by melting chocolate, then adding in the almond cream and gently folding over the chocolate on the almond cream and mixing. I added agave nectar because the chocolate is quite bitter on its own.

EDIT: for a special one, get a blueberry flavored chocolate to melt, and get fresh blueberries. Then when the mousse is ready to set, blend the blueberries and pour it (stylized perhaps?) on top. I put it in the fridge for about two hours before eating.
    Last edited by Quantum Mechanic; Feb 14th, 2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: finish description

QM that sounds delicious!!

Last I had raw pizza for the first time, yummo!

talknerdytome

Banana chips dipped in crunchy peanut butter. Not the MOST adventurous thing, but it was very tasty!