Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you eat for the first time today?

Default Re: What did you eat for the first time today?

Quote Hemlock
    Brown basmati rice - I've switched to wholewheat pasta as well. A bit too hardline for my poor husband tho'.
    Which was it he doesn't like - the pasta or the rice?

I can't tell the difference with pasta once it is cooked. The rice is different, but not in a bad way.

He says the rice tastes the same whether you cook it or not.....it's still crunchy enough to break fillings on It's a bit of a culture shock, I've always been vegetarian before I became vegan but he's gone straight from omni to vegan unprocessed food and is still clinging onto to white rice and pasta like a drowning man
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Hemlock
    He says the rice tastes the same whether you cook it or not.....it's still crunchy enough to break fillings on
    Hmmm - sounds to me like it's your cooking that's the problem

Tried oat milk today - it's a bit sweet for me (wasn't sweetened, but oats are quite sweet). Still yet to beat the simple taste of Granose/Asda unsweetened soya milk.

Tonight I had crispy mock duck with chinese pancakes, cucumber, spring onions and plum sauce. Followed that with vegetables in black bean sauce with noodles. As a bonus I have enough left over for lunch tomorrow. Would love for someone at work to say "But what do you eat" as I am warming up a two course Chinese feast

Mock duck would easily satisfy anyone missing crispy duck.

Then I had Dutch fruit cake with homemade chocolate custard (cornflour, cocoa, sugar, oat milk, vanilla essence). My chocolate custard rules - it was incredibly rich, would have made a nice ice cream sauce.

So that was 3 new things, oat milk (not bad, but not me), mock duck (superb), chocolate custard (Mmmmmmmm).

Quote jillian
    Oh I loooove dolmas. They're so easy to make, too, if you can find grape leaves. In the summer I love bringing the fixings into work and assembling on the spot. Plus, they're one of the few Middle Eastern/Greek foods I can eat universally (cursed food allergies).
    mmm...i should try that...
    Peace Love Surf.

flax plus multigrain banana waffle!!

i had the brilliant idea of putting my own flax plus multigrain mix (that i hadnt used before) in a coffe mug and then i sneaked it into the dining hall, added some banana (eventhough i noticed later apparently you arnt suppose to do that, oh well), and used the waffle machines in there to make my own vegan waffle!!

i hadnt had one in soooo long (any type of waffle that is). i usually just have fruit for breakfast and obviously there waffle mix isn't vegan. but it was so yummy! soo much more filling than usual so it hit fast but it was so worth it. nice treat!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

that's wonderful wishin (and i hope the feeling passes quicky)!
    i had trailmix vegan cookies from trader joes yesterday...soooo good! (mine hit fast too...sweet and fatty--but again soooo worth it!)
    Peace Love Surf.

I made honey mustard dressing. Considering I didn't have a recipe, it turned out pretty well. I mixed mustard, oil, vinegar, sugar, and pepper. It was actually pretty good.

that's pretty neat, but what made it honey mustard? was it just becuase it was sweet from the sugar, or did u use a replacement?
    Peace Love Surf.

Just because it was sweet from the sugar. You couldn't tell that there wasn't really honey in it, if I remember honey mustard correctly.

VERY COOL, i was tinking of making some with soome molases, that's almost always what i use instead
    Peace Love Surf.

Talking Re: What did you eat for the first time today?

i ate from the new 24hr chinese take out place a few block from my house....

i was worried about thier cooking at first, but have heard good things...

i went in there and they were awesome!

they totaly knew what was in the food and were more than willing to veganize it for me!

yay!

the kitchen was very visable and VERY clean, wich makes me happy
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

mango woman

jjdaiquiri that sounds really fun!!

Today for the first time i tried Sunflower seed butter. I Had it on a bad ass sunflower seed mix whole grain bagel. YUMMMMMMMMM. I am on a mission to find pumpkin seed butter and hemp seed butter... Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated!

spaghetti squash! it was good! i think ill pass on adding earth balance next time though...

oh and i tried this drink called passion fruit - its apple and carrot juice. yum

oh and i bought a smoothie and juice book! im excited.
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Quote theashleybeyer
    jjdaiquiri that sounds really fun!!

Today for the first time i tried Sunflower seed butter. I Had it on a bad ass sunflower seed mix whole grain bagel. YUMMMMMMMMM. I am on a mission to find pumpkin seed butter and hemp seed butter... Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated!
    there's a site called votehemp.com that can help find hemp retailers in your area. also, u could try making some from scratch...if u have a food processor...
    Peace Love Surf.

a medjool date. YUMMMM.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I finally finished a large coffee!

I'm such a wimp and can only handle a medium but today I had a large.

haha!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Seitan. For the first time and for the last. Horrible! Like chewing on a piece of leather, to use this inappropriate expression.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

applepie, i could've been prepared incorrectly, every time i've had seitan, it was supple and very good.
    i ate a vegan restaurant today for lunch and had a vegan blta mmm....and last night i ate at a place i just found that's all veg too and it's close to me
    Peace Love Surf.

Yesterday I baked some jerusalem artichokes in olive oil. Man they are tasty, especially cold, but they give you terrible gas the day after. I can see why they never really caught on.

Quote foxytina_69
    a medjool date. YUMMMM.
    If you could grow those things over here, I'd have a date tree in my garden. They make me almost want to move to California

I ate dirt.....when riding a bicycle very fast down hill I must remember it is not a motorbike and it is not a good idea to pull in the 'clutch' as it is in fact the brake
    Silent but deadly :p

Blueshark

Quote Hemlock
    I ate dirt.....when riding a bicycle very fast down hill I must remember it is not a motorbike and it is not a good idea to pull in the 'clutch' as it is in fact the brake
    Hey at least its vegan

I had my dad take me out to a new restaurant toay - Organic Garden Cafe - its vegan and raw!! doesn't get much better than that!

i had as an appetizer their raw power pizza (2 really thin small slices). the veggie burger plate for dinner (sunflower-seed burger w. bbq sauce and onions and sun chips). and a coconut creme pie thing for dessert that was eh. but everything else was great! oh and a chai frappe (chai tea, dates, almond, and banana.). it was a yummy restaurant.

my dad actually liked this place but then againe he only got a sesame bagel w. strawberry jam and a harvest salad. kind of boring but ohhh wellll.
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Were the pizza, burgers, sauces, chips and everything really raw? Wow!

Today I tried some vegan bite-size lemon tarts for the first time. They were pretty good! Probably quite fattening - but I bought them as a Christmas treat. It's the first time I had seen them in the shops.

Quote Roxy
    Were the pizza, burgers, sauces, chips and everything really raw? Wow!

Today I tried some vegan bite-size lemon tarts for the first time. They were pretty good! Probably quite fattening - but I bought them as a Christmas treat. It's the first time I had seen them in the shops.
    yup! all raw - so it wasnt real pizza and bun and burger etc. - it was the dehydrated nut type kind. it was yummy though and real healthy.
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

That's amazing! I've seen some raw snack foods on the internet that I've been thinking about ordering but I haven't because I don't know weather they'd taste good or be a waste of money.

I had a bowl of cereal, grape nuts, with a sliced up banana on top and soy milk. Yum!

For the first time?

mango woman

Cashew butter. mmm. i wish i had some dates to stuff with cashew butter. damnit i drooled all over the keyboard.

cashew nut butter is great i have some - and i love stuffing dates w. it.

raw food is good roxy but it def. has a different taste as far as chips etc. go. i personally like it, but its definately different.
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

mango woman

A starfruit [carambola?]- It was really good!!!! It tasted like a weak pineapple crossed with a weak apple... i will be buying some again. How fun. Mine didn't turn out very star shaped though. Oh well. Any tips on how to peel the starfruit?? I didn't eat the skin, but can you?

Quote theashleybeyer
    A starfruit [carambola?]- It was really good!!!! It tasted like a weak pineapple crossed with a weak apple... i will be buying some again. How fun. Mine didn't turn out very star shaped though. Oh well. Any tips on how to peel the starfruit?? I didn't eat the skin, but can you?
    yep! the skin is edible!

mango woman

Thumbs down Re: What did you eat for the first time today?

Quote terra
    yep! the skin is edible!
    Damnit!!! I missed out then. I'm very strange and LOVE to eat the skin of fruits and veggies, if i can of course. I even go to the extent of 'sharing' an apple with a friend but i'll take all the skin and give her the apple. Heh.

Well anyway, i tried a golden kiwi today. they're supposed to taste 'honey-like' and they are more yellow inside than green and a bit less fuzzy.. so i tried one. Well wtf, it was really disgusting. Maybe i just got a bad one. I won't exclude the poor golden kiwi. I shall try again!!!

Quote theashleybeyer
    Oo never had a starfruit before!! *wants a starfruit now*
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Tiggerwoo

For the first time (well yesterday) I had Tofutti passion fruit and mango frozen desert. Its lovely with fruit. Mmmm!

Quote screamingcarrot
    has anyone tried a fresh pomegranate? i want to try one but dont know where to get them. havent seen them in scotland..
    Yes, they are nasty. The seeds are the only edible part and they are bitter and hard. At least all the ones I have tried have been. If you have an asian grocers somewhere in Scotland you can probably get one there. Also a larger supermarket.
    They are probably delicious when freshly picked from a lovely organic farm in a place where they are grown naturally. By the time they get here they are dried up and bitter!
    (waves) Hi from a little south of the border in Newcastle (we do have imported pomegranetes here).
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

sugarmouse

i had a veggie burger (ut was vegan i checked !)in the pub i used to work in..not eaten junk n fries in ages i feel fat now!lol

Skinny Chips. Mmm.

I had a vegan chocolate chip cookie from the Chicago Diner and it was amazing! I had it w/ some yummy very vanilla silk soy milk. yuuuum!
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

ooo strawbs - the chicago diner is suppose to be great, right? how is it? - i might be applying to transfer in a couple places in the midwest - university of chicago being one of them - if i visit the school i shall definately have to try it.

tonight i plan on making multi grain choc. chip pancakes yummm. i havnt had choc chip pancakes in well.. lets see.. must be at least a couple years now! crazy! im excited - kinda wish i had some bananas to add to it - but that would be doubly sinful in foods to avoid says the holistic health nutritionist (wheat is the first offender). ohh welll c'est la vie - overall i follow it and multigrain isnt going to kill me.
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

OMG wishin, Im moving here next year too! Im prolly goin to University of Loyola or yogacademy to become a yoga practitioner. Seriously move here so I can officially have a vegan friend!
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

today for the first time i had kale, and green lentils. both were great
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I had fresh papaya. I didn't like it, but it could have been overripe as the pulp was very soft.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Quote herbwormwood
    Yes, they are nasty. The seeds are the only edible part and they are bitter and hard. At least all the ones I have tried have been. If you have an asian grocers somewhere in Scotland you can probably get one there. Also a larger supermarket.
    They are probably delicious when freshly picked from a lovely organic farm in a place where they are grown naturally. By the time they get here they are dried up and bitter!
    (waves) Hi from a little south of the border in Newcastle (we do have imported pomegranetes here).
    Yes, I second that. I once shelled out for super expensive pomegrante juice (you know the kind that is only the juice?). Well, I think i may have spit it out it was so horrible. It tasted like beets. I had to bin it.

Blech

Same here! I thought I would like them, oh well.

mango woman

GASP!!!! Pomegranate juice and anything pomegranate related is excellent.

Today for the first time i tried for breakfast: Fresh organic bananas sliced up and tossed in a bag with some ground flaxseed so they were all coated and then i just ate the banana slices. sooooooooo good! flax is awesome with fruit and i never even knew it.

Well, you will have to tell us where you are getting your pomegranates Ashley! They sure look yummy.

today i tried red lentils for the first time and was amazed by how good they were! How did I not know this?

mango woman

have you guys tried POM juice? That's the only kind of pomegranate juice ive tried. There are different flavors too [like blueberry pomegranate... or cherry pom, or tangerine pom, or regular... mm] they're pricey.. but worth the splurge once in a while. I have to be careful when i get pomegranates because you wanna make sure they are firm, but not rock hard. i think you also want a nicely colored one.. i'm not sure. But i do know that if you get one and the seeds arent juicy and red then it's not ripe.. then they DO suck. lol.

No, my sister drinks that stuff. I didn't realize all of them had pomegrante juice in them, but that does explain the name.

The juice i bought was R.W Knudsen brand, Just Pomegrantes I think it was called.

on edit - this was it : Pomagrante Juice

in the same line, I did literally spit out a mouthful of the Just Cranberry juice of the same brand. Who drinks plain cranberry juice? My parents, apparently, it was in their fridge. i love love love cranberries, but the plain juice was way too tart.

mango woman

Hahahaha. yeah POM...egranate.

The pomegranate juice you tried is the only other kind i can find around here.. but its like TEN DOLLARS for that tiny container!!!! So no way, but yeah if you get a chance to try the POM wonderful you should! I promise it doesn't taste even close to beet juice! Promiiiiiise

Oh, and cranberry juice is goooooood. i like the tartness that makes your tongue push on the top of your mouth. LOL!

I finally bought some raw Goji Berries last week! They were different than I imagined them to be. I like them and all but I wouldnt say they are my favorite dried fruit. I'm really glad I finally got to try them though so I can stop constantly wondering!
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche