Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you eat for the first time today?

Default Re: What did you eat for the first time today?

I have just discovered Tofutti at my local health food shop.

I had their Garlic & Herbs creamy stuff in my usual granary salad sandwich (minus the usual Humous), and I was very impressed. I will make sure I get this again.

Last night I tried the Tofutti ice cream sandwiches. Oh yes...

Tofutti products are quite tasty. I like their vegan sour cream.

Yum, I use their vegan sour cream when I make a taco salad.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

yogini

i finally found a shop that sells the alporo soya tropical drink in scotland!

its at margiottas, for those of you living here!

i found it a little sickly sweet though, to be honest. i think i prefeer my plain soya milk.

Over the weekend, I tried the following

Vegan stickydate pudding (drooling right now)
    Green and Blacks mint chocolate (hated it)
    Green and Blacks Maya Gold chocolate (loved it, but not as much as tangerine soy chocolate)

A few days ago I tried carob for the first time. I bought a carob almond cluster (slab of carob with a few almonds here and there). After reading a carob conversation on here a while ago, where most people hated the stuff and a few liked it, I was a bit nervous. But it was SO good! WAY better than Green and Blacks dark chocolate (that stuff is so bitter!). Too bad it costs a fortune ($5.49 for less than 100 grams), but it's definitely a great treat to have occasionally. I also found some carob chips that I want to buy to make some vegan carob chip cookies. I can't wait! :P
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

I like Carob too.

I tried for the first time today.......Almond Milk! I bought the Blue Diamond brand and the vanilla flavour.

I found it very rich and VERY sweet and loved it as a dessert item!!

LittleNellColumbia

Quote Banana
    Over the weekend, I tried the following

Vegan stickydate pudding (drooling right now)
    Green and Blacks mint chocolate (hated it)
    Green and Blacks Maya Gold chocolate (loved it, but not as much as tangerine soy chocolate)
    ah goo i know what ya mean- that green & blacks was ferral
    and i was so excited about it too....pepermint choc was my favourite

yogini

tried a new kellogs cereal..normally i dont go for kellogs cause its usually sugary stuff but these 'tiger bites' are wholehwat corn and oat parcels with less than a teaspoon of sugar per bowl..actually they were quite yummy. but bf thinks theyre bland..

I went to Purdy's chocolates (a West Coast chocolate company) today and had some dark chocolate. They assured me that the dark chocolate was dairy free, but it was SO incredibly good that I thought there must be dairy in it! I emailed the company through their website to double check. The only other dark chocolate I have ever had was Green and Blacks, and it was really super bitter. But Purdy's dark chocolate was so smooth, creamy and sweet that I can't believe it's vegan! If it turns out that it is dairy-free, I'll have to avoid the malls like the plague, or else I'll end up blowing all my money every time I pass that shop!

The past couple days after going to the grocery store I have tried a few new things! These things have included, coconut and date rolls (they are yummy banana! ), cashew butter no salt, nutritional yeast melted on a pita bread w/ earth balance (yumm! great new concoction), soy yogurt (I think it tastes pretty much the same), spinach and tomato roasted hummus (I always try and find different kinds), and I think that about does it for new products I've been trying. Good stuff
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

I made falafel balls the other day and they were awful. I burnt most of them and the other ones tasted of mushy raw beans. They also smelled awful and reminded me of old tacos. Gross!

I also tried carob chips a few weeks ago and I found that really nasty, too. I guess I was expecting rich dark chocolate and I tasted a really sour, bitter crunchy thing. The carob-covered raisins were equally as bad if not worse.

I guess I'm not having such good luck with the new foods lately!

Quote Lindsay
    I made falafel balls the other day and they were awful. I burnt most of them and the other ones tasted of mushy raw beans. They also smelled awful and reminded me of old tacos. Gross!
    It sounds like you tried the falafel balls by "Fantastic Foods". I tried that brand once and I nearly vomited. Their veggie chili is good though!

Quote Yoggy
    It sounds like you tried the falafel balls by "Fantastic Foods". I tried that brand once and I nearly vomited. Their veggie chili is good though!
    I didn't mind them (when I could have them) probably because I hadn't had "restaurant" falafel yet. Once I moved to NYC I became a connoisseur. I miss them so. Anyone have a tried and true recipe for falafel? I can't have wheat, so while I can probably sub for wheat flour, bulgur I cannot.

Quote Wishin986
    spinach and tomato roasted hummus
    Mmmmm that sounds yummy! I love hummus!

I made a big mistake. Three days ago I made home-made oven fries (potato wedges) for the first time, and I loved them so much that now I'm addicted! I had them again the next day, and again the day after that (yesterday)! I haven't had takeout fries for a while, but these things tasted WAY better than I remember even New York Fries tasted! (and NY Fries taste GOOD). I dipped them in ketchup and vegan mayo, and even though I had a big plateful, I was sad when I finished them . Too bad potatoes are so cheap, because even on my tight budget I can afford to eat these things every day! But I'll give it a rest for a while, lest I become sick of them!

Tonight I'm going to make chicken fried rice using Yves chicken tenders, which I've never tried.

I also tried brown rice yesterday for the first time, and it was really good. I'm going to use the leftovers in my fried rice tonight

Yoggy - I think you and Foxytina share a love for oven fries!!

I hope you like the Yves "chicken" tenders. I like them a lot. They are waaaayyyyyy nicer than the Light Life ones.

Quote Roxy
    I like Carob too.

I tried for the first time today.......Almond Milk! I bought the Blue Diamond brand and the vanilla flavour.

I found it very rich and VERY sweet and loved it as a dessert item!!
    I buy the chocolate flavor and heat it like hot chocolate - it's lovely!

It's also great on a hot day - it's very refreshing! And so much vitamin E (50% american daily value per cup) and calcium (30%)!

I love fantastic foods. I eat their tofu scramble, chili and tacos a lot. A few weeks ago I tried their sloppy joes while camping. I never really liked sloppy joes, but my boyfriend picked it and I went along. It was pretty good! Since we were camping I put potato chips on top (it seems like any "down home american recipe has crushed potato chips on top) he laughed at me, but I got him to try it! I think the chips really made it. I ate it open faced, over buns. I didn't end up eating much of the bread. Those Fantastic meals are great for camping - they are light and cook up really fast by just adding water. I am planning another camping trip soon and they are a must!

Today I tried Vegan Gourmet by Follow Your Heart! I have been wanting to try it for sooo long but they don't sell it near me. My mother brought it from Chicago since we were meeting half way for lunch today. She got it at whole foods and bought me one of each! I feel so spoiled - she wouldn't even let me pay her back.

i tried the montery jack, and it was really good. I was definately able to both touch and smell it (unlike other vegan cheeses). I ate it on some garlic triscuits with some almonds and black olives on the side and a glass of wine (a red shiraz). i don't want to open too many, but I also have the nacho, cheddar and mozerella. YEA!

My mom also bought me a yogurt maker so soon I will be making soy kefir! Yea!

Quote Wildflower
    Today I tried Vegan Gourmet by Follow Your Heart!
    Isn't that cheese fantastic? I finally found some, and I love it! I've only ever tried the mozzarella on some homemade pizza, but it tasted really close to regular pizza (minus the "stretch" that dairy cheese has). Be careful though, because these cheeses don't stay good for very long. Mine started to turn after about 2 weeks. And you've got a lot (thanks to your mom!), so you'll have to eat 'em up quick! If I lived near you, I'd help!

LittleNellColumbia

Well today i actually baked my own bread! its was crappy (as some of you already know, i cant cook) but i was stoked that it actually worked.
    I never thought that egg replacer stuff would work, but it did like a charm.
    Now this gives me more incentive to try more vegan baking like chewy gooey cookies and yummy muffins!

hello Happy

I have a bread maker and I used to use it alla the time and i never had to out egg replacer in an of the recipies.

I don't use it no more as I had to stop having yeast, it makes my eczema play up bad so I only eat sourdough bread that has no commercial yeast in it

i haven't found a recipe for sourdough bread, I guess you have to make the sour bit somehow

but making your own bread is great hey, I used to eat heaps because it was so good and it was mine

antony loaf

I make homemade bread all the time, I don't think most bread recipes call for eggs. I do use egg replacer in a cookie recipe though and it works great. I have a great whole wheat recipe I can dig out if you want. It comes from a recipe my parents used to make and just happens to be vegan.

Sour dough bread gets sour from a "starter" you can buy. Once you buy it, you just keep some of the raw dough to make the next batch. google "sourdough starter" and you will see what i mean. Mm...accroding to this guy he doesn't believe in "buying" the starter. he just makes his own by leaving flour and water out on the counter...ahmmm, bench as Roxy said it's called down there - http://www.markshep.com/nonviolence/Sourdough.html

Yoggy - thanks for the tip on the cheese. Do you think they will go bad if I don't open them up? I am trying to restrain myself and i just opened the one...allthough I wanted to try them all at once! I will have to try to use it up...I don't think it will be a problem!

Quote happycow
    Well today i actually baked my own bread! its was crappy (as some of you already know, i cant cook) but i was stoked that it actually worked.
    I never thought that egg replacer stuff would work, but it did like a charm.
    Now this gives me more incentive to try more vegan baking like chewy gooey cookies and yummy muffins!

Good for you happycow! Keep practicing and I'm sure you'll be a bread wizz before you know it!

LittleNellColumbia

LOL thanks guys!!! yes i was very excited

Wildflower, that would be great if you could find that recipe if its not too much trouble! and if all goes well i might send you a slice via package post just to show off my kitchen hand skills.
    Thanks again

p.s. im off to google "sour dough starter" ask we speak (theoretically) and im excited coz ive never had sour dough bread....

mmm i love to make homemade bread (mines rice bread though) and roxy, i admit it, im a fry fiend!!! had them all weekend!

i tried chili fries for the first time on friday. holy crap they were goooooooood.

yoggy, my mom was obsessed with purdys thats great to know their dark chocolate is vegan. too bad their icecream section isnt LOL. (their icecream is really good)

sourdough bread is FANTASTIC. was always my favorite. but i cant eat bread.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

yeah! my cousin gave me a recipe and it was reeeaaalll good.(so I think...) slices of extra firm tofu, then brush some BBQ sauce and bake for 45 minutes on 350 degrees....yummy. what a snack!

ConsciousCuisine

Quote foxytina_69
    i tried chili fries for the first time on friday. holy crap they were goooooooood.

Did they look anything like this MMMM! This treat made my Daughter and The Giant very happy!

yogini

this morning i had peanut butter and grape jam (jelly in usa) on wholemeal toast. it was good .

CC, they look fabulous!

I had a berry smoothie this morning, made with Vitasoy's berry Lush. Blech! I think I'll stick to the plain one in future.

cc, mine looked a little different. the plate was massive and instead of cheese on top there was sour cream, 'bacon' bits and chives. i really wanted to take a picture it was lovely!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Chocolate breakfast cereals with soy milk, yummm.
    Check out my blog about animal equality, antispeciesism, veganism and activism!

VeganActivist.net (English version)

VeganActivist.net/es (Spanish version)

ConsciousCuisine

Quote foxytina_69
    the plate was massive and instead of cheese on top there was sour cream, 'bacon' bits and chives. i really wanted to take a picture it was lovely!

Okay, you just described what will be our next "junk food" dinner thanks, Foxy ( I just bought a POUND of Frontier Organic "Bacon" Bits)

The other day I discovered President's Choice (available only in Canada, methinks) vegetarian patties, 9-Vegetable Patties (warning: their lentil burgers have yougurt!). It was soo good. I'm having them again tonight.

I hate the taste of soy burgers which taste too much like the real thing. Since I live in a house of meat eaters, I am always paranoid I am eating "real thing" when I have stuff like Boca Burgers.

We have President's Choice here in the states. they are usually sold at Jewel grocery stores here in the midwest which I think is albertson's out west. They have great stuff!

Happy Cow, I will find that recipe and PM you and post it in the recipe section.

Yesterday I tried Rising Moon Organics vegan ravioli. They are on sale this month at my co-op. I bought the Creamy Artichoke & Kalmata Olive and the Mediterranean Garlic & Herb Ravioli. I had the Mediterranean Garlic & Herb Ravioli last night - it had a soy ricotta in it and tasted like curry. I ate it tossed with olive oil and some black olives. It was different...but good. I love curry, but it was kinda weird with the pasta.

http://www.risingmoon.com/products.html (not all products are vegan)

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Wildflower

Yesterday I tried Rising Moon Organics vegan ravioli. They are on sale this month at my co-op. I bought the Creamy Artichoke & Kalmata Olive and the Mediterranean Garlic & Herb Ravioli. I had the Mediterranean Garlic & Herb Ravioli last night - it had a soy ricotta in it and tasted like curry. I ate it tossed with olive oil and some black olives. It was different...but good. I love curry, but it was kinda weird with the pasta.

http://www.risingmoon.com/products.html (not all products are vegan)

My family likes the Artichoke and Kalamata Olive one best of all (I make a "white sauce" for it with artichoke hearts, roasted garlic and add whole kalamata olives for a very rich meal) . I agree that the Garlic and Herb one is ...different.

Talking Re: What did you eat for the first time today?

yesterday my "vegetarian" roommate cooked vegan for me!!!

first time for everything...

ive not been feeling well and i came home to a lovely vegan meal....thats why my roommate is great...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I tried the Broccoli and Rice Casserole from randomgirl.com tonight. My husband loved it. It reminded me of those casseroles from my childhood which had cans of condensed, cream of whatever in them.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

What I ate for the first time today was a Russian garlic. The cloves are quite huge, but I love garlic so I cut one up into very small pieces, and sprinkled them over a slice of toast and homas. The garlic almost burnt my tongue, but how delicious! I bought the Russian garlic at a 'flea market'.
    Eve

my cousin whom i work with baked her own tofu and brought it in for me to try. Let me just say YUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! She is an excellent cook to begin with, but really nailed it !!

yogini

yesterday i had my first lara bar...id ordered a few from the USA since we dont have em here.

it was good. and they gave me a free pack of jellyish sweets too (vegan of course) called sharkies, which my bf helped me to polish off!
    :rolleyes: Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, its a shrieking root vegetable! :D

LittleNellColumbia

today i had oat flakes, which were pretty bland but nice and crunchy.

I also had avacado spread/dip stuff. which tasted avacadoey and cream cheesey yummy

yogini

i had the chocolate coconut lara bar yesterday...i know its meant to be all pure and stuff but i think it needed a dash of sugar!!

Yuk I hated that one. I only like the ginger snap, cherry pie and cashew cookie. I hated the others.

yogini

i havent had the cherry one yet..ive ordered all flavours so ill work my way through em and see which one is best. maybe we should have a best lara bar flavor poll?!

I love the ginger snap one and the banana cookie the best! I still have to try the cashew cookie...I love them though....drooool
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

ConsciousCuisine

Quote screamingcarrot
    i havent had the cherry one yet..ive ordered all flavours so ill work my way through em and see which one is best. maybe we should have a best lara bar flavor poll?!
    Cherry Pie is my favorite! I agree, we should have a poll!

LittleNellColumbia

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Cherry Pie is my favorite! I agree, we should have a poll!
    I want a Lara Bar!! = (
    peanut butter style mmmmmmmmmmm

Quote happycow
    I want a Lara Bar!! = (
    peanut butter style mmmmmmmmmmm
    they dont have any peanut butter ones, yet although im sure that would be a fav. of mine.

currently my favs are banana cookie and cherry pie. i usually just switch between the two for breakfast
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

LittleNellColumbia

Quote Wishin986
    they dont have any peanut butter ones, yet although im sure that would be a fav. of mine.

currently my favs are banana cookie and cherry pie. i usually just switch between the two for breakfast
    hehe oh woops i may have been referring to LUNA bars by accident they have a peanut butter flavour, according to the website. Im going to go on the LARA bar website now
    Yummy, i love banana....and cookies