Thread: Vegan white chocolate bar

Default Vegan white chocolate bar

If any of you have read the How do you feel today thread, you would know that I ate a bar of white chocolate on the weekend, which taught me a lesson - I am vegan forever

Anyway, I DID enjoy the experience of munching on a bar of white chocolate, coz I always loved my milkybars and white freddo frogs. So I was prompted to write to the makers of the best vegan chocolate in Australia - Sweet William and request the making of a vegan white chocolate bar:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in regards to the possibility of the production of a dairy-free white chocolate bar. As a vegan, I know that there is a market for it, and I know that it is possible to make as I have located vegan white chocolate chips. Please consider doing this -I know it will be worth your while!
    And this is the response I recieved:

Dear Nat
    Thanks for your email and enthusiasm for our product. Yes, we do know that a white
    chocolate bar would be popular for some people and we would be looking to introduce this in
    approximately two years. It takes about two years to get a product into supermarket and in
    the meantime we have to increase the sales of our existing lines to convince the
    supermarkets to accept another. Every time a new line is introduced another line has to be
    taken out. Healthfood stores have similar problems.

We have been very fortunate in that both Coles and Woolworths have just accepted two new
    lines of our No Added Sugar chocolate, making 6 lines now available in Coles. We shall also
    be introducing a chocolate spread by the end of the year.

To accelerate the introduction of white chocolate we suggest you and your friends eat as
    much Sweet William as possible - sales figures determine our ability to get more product on
    the shelf.

In the meantime you might like to check out our Chocolate Xmas decorations (see attached).
    These will be available in IGA and healthfood stores. We suggest you get in early so as not
    to be disappointed.

Nat, thanks again for your support and encouragement.

Best Regards

Carol O'Halloran
    Marketing & Sales
    Sweet William
    (02) 9316 7177
    YAAAAAAAAAY! We might have to wait two years, but dammit we are getting a vegan white chocolate bar! Being vegan is becoming more and more fun! Now someone needs to make a decent goddam vegan yoghurt........

LittleNellColumbia

Default Re: Vegan white chocolate bar

hey Banana, thats great! Even though i Don't personally care much for white chocolate, its good for ppl who do and also just for vegans in general to shown the expantion of veggie products available

In the meantime, do you think that maybe melting a big batch of vegan white choc chips into some kind of mould, and then freezing it, would substitute for a chocolate bar? Just a thought......

FR

I don't know about where you live, but here in the U.S. we have great vegan yogurt that tastes eons better than cow pus yogurt.

As far as white chocolate, it is insanely easy to make at home. All you do is replace the calf food with yummy soy milk and, "wala", you are well on your way to preparing delicious vegan white chocolate. The benfits to making it a home are, it costs a lot less than buying a single bar or bag of chips, and you can add things like almonds or puffed rice to the mixture.

FR, could you be a little more specific - do you have a recipe? For instance, will I need cocoa butter? I have the white chocolate chips from Pangea but would also love to know how to make them.

Thanks!

FR

I may have posted the recipe here, or on Vegan Represent. I will find it, and link it.

FR

Yes, there is cocoa butter in it. I'm sure there has to be an alternative if you cannot find any.

Recipe

Quote Banana
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Anyway, I DID enjoy the experience of munching on a bar of white chocolate, coz I always loved my milkybars and white freddo frogs. So I was prompted to write to the makers of the best vegan chocolate in Australia - Sweet William and request the making of a vegan white chocolate bar:
    Hey banana, let me introduce you to my buddy Catsmogg, who you might have probably seen around in this forum.. She too is a chocoholic. She might even consider migrating to Australia just for those "sweet william" chocolates. She is a nice person, but when she is eating chocolates, she won't even realize if the sky falls on her head. Such a dedicated chocoholic. She looks kinda cute when she eats those chocolates though... I must admit.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Mmm, white chocolate, I used to love that. Milky Bars were amazing. I so hope we get a British version of the vegan alternative, I don't really want to be ordering from Australia all the time. Or I shall have to get myself busy in the kitchen. Thank you for the recipe, FR.
    Vegans go all the way.

Thanks for the recipe FR!!

Well this bar's finally out and in big form. Sales will be no problem from my end.

Quote insubordination View Post
    Well this bar's finally out and in big form. Sales will be no problem from my end.
    I bought 2 blocks the other day and they were ate up within 24 hours :P

But I actually think the Rice Milk white chocolate that's been available for a while (forget the brand name) is nicer than SW; it's sweeter although doesn't taste as "milky".

Wait! Is there a vegan milky bar or something else? In Australia? Please do tell, because I'll ask my parents to send me some if there is

http://www.sweetwilliam.com.au/whitedelight08.html

New white choc block

Sweet Willy also recently released a kind of peanut choc bar... but with soy nuts instead of peanuts!!

Lets hope the company selling sweet william chocolate in British supermarkets will start selling it too. All we have is manky overpriced organica
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

wash your mouth out, flibble!

we buy sweet Williams chocolate all the time i love the white and the normal, i like the sweet Williams chocolate better then when i was a non vegan eating dairy milk chocolate. although one bad thing is i always eat too much of it
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/

JC

i've seen the sweet william chocolate spread in tesco (i think it's called humdinger diary free over here, isn't it?) has anyone tried it yet?

Ahhhh! I had no idea what people were talking about until you mentioned the Dairy Free chocolate spread - I buy that. Never knew it was Australian.

In my independent taste tests I found that one in every one of me likes it! I have it for breakfasts either on crumpets or warm bread.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

cobweb

i don't like humdingers stuff but my son goes mad for the tangerine bars and the buttons (when we can find them! ).

that SW white choc looks delicious - i detest the white organica stuff, no-one in my house will eat it .

Quote XxsarahxX View Post
    we buy sweet Williams chocolate all the time i love the white and the normal, i like the sweet Williams chocolate better then when i was a non vegan eating dairy milk chocolate. although one bad thing is i always eat too much of it
    Same here! heehee LOVE the white chocolate! yummy yummy

Quote Huddy View Post
    Same here! heehee LOVE the white chocolate! yummy yummy
    we are awesome.

me and my partner at nearly a whole block of it last night in bed first time ive alowed eating in bed haha

ok, so i work with someone who is from Australia and some friends of his are coming to the states in a week for his wedding. i asked if they might pick me up a few bars of the sweet william white chocolate. does anyone happen to know where you can pick these up? is it hard to find?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

we get ours from coles or woolworths in the healthfood section

Veggiemaya: Safeway has them, but you may want to ask your friend to contact the distributor for some other places also, as my local Safeway is almost always sold out A lot of organic/health-food shops stock it, too.

thanks, Tangerine! I will let him know. keepin my fingers crossed!!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

What?!?! There's a vegan white chocolate?

I *LOVE* white chocolate. How can get my hands on something like that in the US?
    context is everything

i have been looking all over for it in the us for soooo long. i think it is a lost cause. the closest thing that i have ever come across is a bag of non dairy white chocolate chips. then you can just melt them in to a bar, or just eat them like that i guess. i havent tried those though, so i dont know how they taste. i am hoping that my coworkers friend comes through and brings some of them from Australia when he visits.

i did however find a couple of alternatives that may be worth a try..

http://www.ohnuts.com/details.cfm?Group_ID=257&Product_ID=774&GUCID=OCDK S6R

http://www.veganstore.com/809.html

also, i came across a recipe but i dont have a clue if it will be tasty or not..

White Chocolate

1/4 Cup cocoa butter
    1 Teaspoon Vanilla Paste

1/3 Cup Confectioner’s Sugar
    1/2 Teaspoon soymilk powder
    Pinch Salt

I got the Sweet William White Choc in Woolies on the Nthn Beaches of Sydney. It is so so good, it doesn't last long in my place

OMG you're kidding me! I've tried some of the Sweet William chocs. I'm going to ask my mum to go to Coles and see if they have it. And if they do I want her to bring some with her when she comes to visit in July

I'm sure Coles will have it too. It's run out at my local Woolies, I got the last bar the other day, lucky me. It's sweet and tastes like 'white choc' and a lil bit coconutty too.

Quote Kitteh View Post
    I'm sure Coles will have it too. It's run out at my local Woolies, I got the last bar the other day, lucky me. It's sweet and tastes like 'white choc' and a lil bit coconutty too.
    My local Safeway is consistently run out of the stuff! Not really surprising considering it's located in a rather vegan-friendly suburb of Melb. Last week I bought 3 blocks in one go from an outer-suburb Coles, just because I didn't know when I'd next see a block available! But how awesome is it that a product like that runs out so quickly from these massive supermarket chain stores? Hopefully it will motivate them to put more yummy vegan foods on the shelves!!

Quote Kitteh View Post

Yep I can get try her to Woolies too. I wonder if Big W have it? They have a pretty big choc section.

I was in a BigW yest'day but didn't think to have a look. It's still in Woolies, but I avoided buying another block, willpower ftw

Anyone seen Whittaker's Dark Peanut Slab here? It's for a package swap. I've emailed the company in NZ... I know I've seen Whittaker's chocolate here in Woolies/BigW but not sure if the Dark one is around.

I haven't seen it in Coles Bendigo - but Bendigo isn't very vegan friendly. I may have to jump and shout about them ordering it in. Or else harrass Jess at Cruelty Free.