Thread: Planning a vegan restaurant in Minneapolis

Default Vegan restaurant

I'm planning on opening a non-profit vegan restaurant in Minneapolis in a few years. The goal is to provide very healthy, yet very inexpensive food to people.

I want to create a place where people can get good food (ethically and nutritiously), in a way that will save them time and money. Sort of like a vegan McDonald's.

What are some suggestions for the menu?

Right now I'm thinking something like burritos, veggie burgers, sandwiches and salads, because they are all made using similar ingredients. But I am open to all sorts of suggestions.

I guess the main goal is to have a menu that someone could eat from 3 times a day and still recieve adequate nutrients and a proper balance of the food groups, while not spending more than 10 to 20 dollars.

Default Re: Vegan restaurant

Quote jasonkise
    I'm planning on opening a non-profit vegan restaurant in Minneapolis in a few years. The goal is to provide very healthy, yet very inexpensive food to people.

I want to create a place where people can get good food (ethically and nutritiously), in a way that will save them time and money. Sort of like a vegan McDonald's.

What are some suggestions for the menu?

Right now I'm thinking something like burritos, veggie burgers, sandwiches and salads, because they are all made using similar ingredients. But I am open to all sorts of suggestions.

I guess the main goal is to have a menu that someone could eat from 3 times a day and still recieve adequate nutrients and a proper balance of the food groups, while not spending more than 10 to 20 dollars.

BBQ seitan sammich... Slice onion (green pepper optional), fry in a bit of oil add seitan to pan(fry a bit), add bbq sauce... When I was the manager of a non for profit restaurant, people loved this simple sammich... On a big hunk of whole wheat bread? mmmmmmm

Ileana

How about Boston Market type dishes? Mock meat loaf, mashed potatoes with a vegetable gravy, creamed spinach, corn, glazed carrots, mac and chreese. Carrot cake, brownies, cookies.

Lightbulb Re: Vegan restaurant

There's this awesome vegetarian/mostly vegan fast food restaurant near where I live and they have things like a "Filet O'Soul" burger that's pressed tofu, sprouts, and a tartar sauce made with vegannaise, and they also have like Falafel Wraps, and special quesadillas with tortillas made from corn and sunflower seeds with salsa...all very yummy and super healthy, I hope this can be at all a help!

tails4wagging

That sounds nice, where is this??.

Talking Re: Vegan restaurant

It's in the US. I'm sorry, I wish there was one near u too! As a matter of fact, I wish there was one everywhere in the world so everyone can see that vegan/vegetarian food isn't tasteless cardboard. I think the funniest part about where it's located (California, one of the fast food capitals) is that all around it are these aweful fast food places, and I always look at the fact that there are people there, and think, DON'T YOU SEE THIS PLACE?!

tails4wagging

Perhaps you can get their recipe and post it here??

I will most certainly try, cuz it DOES sound good. I made a tofu teriyaki burger that reminded me of something I would get there today. I could give you the recipe for that one right now if you'd like.

tails4wagging

My friends and I go to a italian rest that has a choice of vegan options. Last christmas they made a beautiful chestnut dish and we asked for the recipe which they gave.. Really yummy.

That definately sounds really yummy! I am going to sign off now, but would you mind posting your recipe? I'll be sure to post mine the next time I come on! Thanx!

tails4wagging

Ok I will post it on recipes..

if you open the restaurant- i will come. nothing like that around here. i love road trips. instead of bread on the table give everyone free hummus and celery. maybe some roasted garlic. love it.

Thumbs up Re: Vegan restaurant

mophoto that is such a good idea! i went to a restaurant once when i was still vegetarian and they served crackers and hummus, it was soo good! Maybe you could serve like vegan flax crackers or something too, sounds pretty yummy, but maybe a little bit pricey. Although a lot of places give chips out as a free side, so flax crackers might be a good variation of this.