Thread: Help!!! Don't like legumes...

Default Help!!! Don't like legumes...

Please help, I am having a really hard time getting excited about legumes I know I should eat more but they are just dull dull dull almost indigestible. I like hummus (I make my own) and lentil soup.
    Does anyone else have the same problem, how did you get around it? nd what are your favourite legume recipes? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Default Re: Help!!! Don't like legumes...

If I am having a dish with rice (eg curry, chilli, rice salad), I use half brown rice and half green lentils, which I think works really well. You have to boil the lentils for 10 minutes first then add the rice and cook for about 30 minutes.

Other than that you can just add beans and pulses into things you make, eg. pasta sauces, casseroles, soups, pies. If they are well cooked, they blend in well and add texture. I'm a bit disorganised to use dried beans that need soaking at the moment - that would require too much forward planning

I add sprouted beans and lentils to stir fries and salads.

Quote Rob(QG)
    I'm a bit disorganised to use dried beans that need soaking at the moment - that would require too much forward planning
    Thanks Rob for all the suggestions My beloved pressure cooker recently exploded, nearly took my eye out, gotta get another hehehe

You might want to try some Indian recipes for dahl (sp?) etc - you wouldn't find them bland because of the spices, and they are usually made with lentils, which cook fast without a pressure cooker. I think there is a dahl thread on here somewhere - you just have to work out how to spell it

Here's a nice recipe you can have e.g. with baked potatoes. If you don't want to use wine stock would probably do.

Lentils in Red Wine adapted from The Savory Way by Deborah Madison

1 cup lentils
    2 tbl olive oil
    1 small onion, finely diced
    2 garlic cloves, chopped or sliced
    2 bay leaves
    pinch each of dried thyme and dried marjoram
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    1 tsp pureed sun dried tomatos or tomato paste
    2 cups hearty red wine, such as Beaujolais, gamay or red "jug" wine
    1 1/2 cups water
    salt
    red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar

Rinse the lentils well, cover them with hot water, and set them aside while you prepare everything else.
    Warm the olive oil in a wide skillet or saute pan and add the onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, marjoram, and half the parsley. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions have begun to color. Stir in the tomato puree; then add the wine. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Drain the lentils and add them to the wine with the water, and lightly salt. Return to a boil; then lower the heat, cover the pan, and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. When the lentils are done, taste for salt and add a dash of vinegar to sharpen the flavors.

prilly-pie

try cooking them, blitzing them, adding in diced onions and/or other veg and making some legume burgers/patties.. fry in the pan yummy

yogini

lentil burgers rock! as does dahl..heaps of recipes on vegan village website.
    i give my bf lentil burgers and he ;loves them. the lentils are all mashed up, disguised so it doesnt seem like youre eating legumes.