Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss

Default Re: Weight Loss Tips

Tip #12

Don't eat at night. From experience, eating late makes you lose weight much slower.
    -rawchick

Tip #13

-eat mostly greens they are better for you and healing and eaiser to loose weight from then eating fruit all day long
    -drink green juices or have a superfood green drink these will keep you fueled throughout the day and curb appiteite
    -don't limit a certain type of rawfood like sweet fruits or nuts that you like because this will lead you to want it more and you may overeat on it and thus sabatoshing your weight loss efforts so give yourself what you want. Indulge once in a while when you need to only on rawfood though
    -lg

Tip #13

Don't start losing weight tommorow, don't start exercising tomorrow, do it NOW. Tomorrow will always remain tomorrow. If not now, then when?

-Liana

Tip 12) Carry around a huge waterbottle and sip water all day. To curb hunger, hydrate you, and flush out fat. Oh, and makes your skin better too.

I really want to try raw foods to lose weight. I don't agree with the theories behind raw foodism about enzymes and such, but I think raw foodism is a good way to lose weight for a lot of other reasons. I mean, it's hard to eat too many calories with apples, but easy to eat too many calories on fried tofu (yum).

Enzymes aren't theory they are science

Physical age is not a matter of how many years you've been born it's a result of your depletion of enzymes

enzymes are behind ALL biological activity, including thinking, without them your cells cannot reproduce themselves and maintain themselves. When you are born you have a certain amount of enzymes, you do not create any more of them. You NEED to get them from outside. Enzyme death die at 40 degrees centigrade. This means that all processed foods are basically devoid of enzymes. If you do not eat enough raw, fresh food you will continue to looze enzymes until your body can no longer maintain itself.

There are some great books around about how important enzymes are.

Enzyme nutrition is a good one

When you eat food containing enzymes many of them migrate into your body and begin to carry out critical tasks. This has been proven by chemically tagging enzymes in food then observing where they go in the body and what they do.

They used to call enzymes catalysts recognising that there mere presence caused biological process to occur appropriately. Then then they discovered that enzymes could change what they did and start doing someting else that was required to maintain the body. It is still not understood how they do this as the are very simple things often made up of a few molecules in a string, it has been shown that they seem to KNOW what needs to be done.

Without them you cannot digest any food, you cannot assimilate it into your blood, you cannot use it to fuel cells and you can't get it the hell out of your body at the other end. You can't knock those enzymes
    baby

Antony enzyme

few I lost a few kilos typing that all out

I know about enzymes, I'm a bio major. But I honestly think that the stomach's hydrochloric acid denatures the enzymes, just as they would have been denatured if cooked. Heat and acidity are the two things that denature proteins. Your body doesn't take enzymes from food and just use them. It denatures the enzymes into amino acids, and then uses those amino acids to rebuild enzymes as it needs them, according to which ones it needs (there are so many diff kinds of enzymes). So they get broken down anyway. And yes, your body does continually make enzymes. They're made in the rough endoplasmic reticulum of all cells, just like other proteins.

I definitely think that raw foodism is healthy, because it's high in vitamins, fiber, etc. But I have to point out that some of the claims aren't factual. There are benefits of cooking some foods too. Like, tomatoes only contain lycopene after they're cooked.

I'm going to become a raw foodist though- (just, not because of enzymes! )

I'm really sorry that I can't remember where I read this report...darn. Anyway, I just read, I think yesterday, that it is now believed that the enzymes are not denatured in our stomachs, but become dormant, and then are back in action again in the...uh, maybe it was the small intestine??

Sorry, I know I was too vague here. But I don't believe the enzymes are denatured.

I do all the things suggested but my medication (migraine preventor) makes me put weight on. I exercise 5 x per week doing combat,jam & step as well as weights and am really active. HEEEEEEEEEEEELP

LittleNellColumbia

Being vegan doesn't mean you will lose weight - I ate a huuuuuuuuge slab of chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream last night that was totally vegan. And today at the supermarket, I found they now carry vegan chocolate chip cookies - bye bye size 8 pants

Yeah, I actually gained weight since I've been vegan. Because I was introduced to more tasty foods.

Yeah, I must confess-- there was a part of me that was like "HAHA, I'm vegan AND I can still have scrumptious deserts and chips and junk!" I think for a while I was over doing it to prove some weird point? I've calmed down now, though, thankfully.

Last night we were in Fitzroy, so I had fast food at Prontos, some choc chip cookies and a choc jam donut - I am like that now - haha I am vegan and I can still eat crap

Uhm, with all due respect, veganism is more than a diet, thanks. Veganism encompasses your full lifestyle, and I have yet to meet someone who avoids leather, wool, silk, animal-tested items, animal ingredients in cleaners and soaps, et cetera for "health" reasons.

So maybe you're a strict vegetarian, and that's great, but don't come on here and try to tell us what "real" veganism is.

We already know.

Quote Artichoke47
    Uhm, with all due respect, veganism is more than a diet, thanks. Veganism encompasses your full lifestyle, and I have yet to meet someone who avoids leather, wool, silk, animal-tested items, animal ingredients in cleaners and soaps, et cetera for "health" reasons.

So maybe you're a strict vegetarian, and that's great, but don't come on here and try to tell us what "real" veganism is.

We already know.
    Second that.

Quote Banana
    Being vegan doesn't mean you will lose weight - I ate a huuuuuuuuge slab of chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream last night that was totally vegan. And today at the supermarket, I found they now carry vegan chocolate chip cookies - bye bye size 8 pants
    My skeleton isn't even size 8

I became vegan for the animals. My health comes after that. And even if animal products were healthy to eat, I still wouldn't eat them.

One time I went into a health food store and the manager was a vegan, so I started talking to him about animal rights, and he said "NO, I'm a vegan for health reasons. If meat was healthy I would eat it in a second" ie. he doesn't care about animals at all. This bothered me so much! I was shocked at how selfish he was. And for someone who was so obsessed with health, he was pretty flabby and weird looking.

It bothers me when people go vegan only for health reasons. But if you think about it, it's important to get people to go vegan anyway we can, in order to help the animals, no matter what strategy convinces people. The more vegans, the better.

But for me, a vegan lifestyle is SOOO much more than a diet. For me, veganism means checking every product i buy for "not tested on animals", not buying leather or other animal products, going to protests outside circuses and fur stores, volunteering and donating to animal shelters, teaching friends (and strangers!) about animal rights and veganism, driving slowly so I won't hit an animal, recycling and not littering so that the environment is clean for all the animals, helping a turtle cross the road...anything to help out sentient beings!

Quote Artichoke47
    I will third that

sugarmouse

me fourth lol!! real veganism is what is inside, what you dont eat, not what you do eat.
    i know veganism can be agreat way to get healthier! but i am vegan because i have my morals.i could eat french fries and chocolate all day long an still be a guilt free vegan.i may get fat, but that would be my choice.sure, it is great to be healthy, but i am vegan because i cant bear the thought of contributing to all the suffering that occurs.

mango woman

I too believe that veganism should not be considered a diet as the "Atkin's diet" or "weight watchers" are both considered diets. It's not meant to be a restrictive way of living or something that people initially do to lose weight. Errg it almost makes me angry to think about it. I've read certain things about "x-vegans" and it just makes me feel sorry for them... somewhere along the road they went insane and forgot all of the morals and beliefs they once had when being a vegan. For me I just couldn't stand consuming animal products. I WILL NEVER DO SO AGAIN, and i have NO problem saying that. I know some don't like to think of it that way but I don't mind.

It just wouldn't make sense to me if i were a vegan who didn't have a problem with how horrible animals are treated.

I think you all misunderstood my point... and it's probably my fault.

<<<I became vegan for the animals. My health comes after that. And even if animal products were healthy to eat, I still wouldn't eat them.>>>

I'm not saying that I don't love animals and all that. I do, of course. But what I'm trying to say is if veganism wasn't healthy, i.e. if our bodies naturally required eating meat and all those others things, then who are we to not eat them??? I mean, lions were naturally built to eat other animals, they would die if they went vegan. Should they also go vegan just to save other animals??? I believe that if our bodies require something, then it's ok to eat it, no matter what IT is.
    But if meat was just a healthy food, but not a required food, then yeah I wouldn't eat it too.

you are a strict vegetarian, not vegan, you are on the wrong board.

The Vegan Society, Ltd. :"Veganism is a way of living which excludes all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, the animal kingdom, and includes a reverence for life..."

Freya Dinshah, "How does a vegan differ from a basic vegetarian? Mainly in the degree of ethical practice..."

Quote lolamako
    you are a strict vegetarian, not vegan, you are on the wrong board.
    Lolamako is right, Liana, because of your ethical stance. There is a difference. I do not mean to dis you, and I am glad you care about the animals and are not eating them, but your angle is different from ours. A strict vegetarian vs vegan; it is different.

*I do not mean to be mean.*

im definitely not vegan for health reasons. only for animals. i like to eat junkfood sometimes. it doesnt always have to be healthy. wouldnt be much fun if u didnt allow yourself treats every now and then, regardless if they were healthy or not
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Do you call eating junkfood giving yourself a treat?! And btw, this thread is under 'Health'
    Eve

uhm yes lol. i know its not healthy and thats why i call it a treat. because its not good to do all the time. i call alot of healthy things treats too though (im sure the word doesnt fit it properly. a treat would be better suited to something that actually helps your body i guess!) my point though, was that you can eat things that are unhealthy for u sometimes, and still be a vegan, because veganism isnt just a health issue. its many different things in one.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Well said Foxy.

Eve, just because you may not like the taste of junk food doesn't mean other people shouldn't. I like chocolate and cookies and ice cream and cake, and as long as I am not eating it all the time, I see nothing wrong with having it once in a while. Good for you if you don't like it and I admire that - but bare in mind that a lot of people do like it, and I don't see it as a problem as long as you eat your vegies and fruits as well

Quote happycow
    How much do you eat though? no matter how much you exercise, if you are eating more than you are expending, you will gain weight. If you are expending more than your intake, maybe you should check your thyroid function?
    On an average day I have oats and soya milk for breaky, 5 pieces of fruit during the day, salad sandwich for lunch and curry or pasta or tofu stirfry etc for dinner. I also have 1 soya protein shake and a small handful of nuts and some dried fruit. It's not my diet I've studied nutrition for years. It's the blasted medication . Iv'e had every test known to wo/man incuding thyroid that'swhy I am frustrated . Imagine if I wasn't a vegan OMIGOD

Quote Peas'nHominy
    The Vegan Society, Ltd. :"Veganism is a way of living which excludes all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, the animal kingdom, and includes a reverence for life..."

Freya Dinshah, "How does a vegan differ from a basic vegetarian? Mainly in the degree of ethical practice..."

Lolamako is right, Liana, because of your ethical stance. There is a difference. I do not mean to dis you, and I am glad you care about the animals and are not eating them, but your angle is different from ours. A strict vegetarian vs vegan; it is different.

Ok.

I agree foxy and banana. I didnt become vegan for the health benifits. I do eat pretty healthy though but i do make cakes now and then, i eat chocolate ummm once a day ( but i only have a small amount) I see nothing wrong with this. As you said banana as long as you have your veg/fruit there is nothing wrong with having a cookie after As long as we are vegan thats all that matters to me and everyone is happy.

Quote Liana
    Perhaps I am in the wrong board... nice talking to you all!
    If anybody here still wants to talk about the HEALTH part of veganism, feel free to email me or something. Bye!
    I don't think anybody exactly wanted you to leave, Liana. We're happy to talk about food and health, et cetera, as you can see from the numerous threads on the subject, but I don't think it was proper for you to come on here and proclaim that somehow we AREN'T vegan and you are because you don't eat the occasional junk food. I respect that you're a vegetarian, strict one at that, and I think others here respect that, too, but to receive respect, it is wise to also give it.

I'm not going to post in response to, for example, Banana and tell her what a horrible person she is and that she's not vegan because she eats chocolate. And if I did, Banana would understandably get upset, because one, she actually IS a vegan and didn't eat any animal products (and cares about animals); and two, she didn't ask me what I thought of her eating habits.

Does that make sense?

mango woman

Quote Peas'nHominy

So a "strict vegetarian" is someone who only refrains from eating meat because of health reasons?! Do they still wear little critters? Maybe I'll research that a bit. This sounds so strange to me.. being a vegetarian but NOT for the animals.. very strange.

Talking Re: Weight Loss Tips

no, a stict vegetarian is a dietary vegan

vegans live a vegan, comassionate, cruelty free LIFESTYLE...

it touches everything, not just food.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

mango woman

Quote jjdaiquiri
    no, a stict vegetarian is a dietary vegan

vegans live a vegan, comassionate, cruelty free LIFESTYLE...

it touches everything, not just food.

So in other words vegans are super human hehe just kidding.

Quote Artichoke47
    I don't think anybody exactly wanted you to leave, Liana. We're happy to talk about food and health, et cetera, as you can see from the numerous threads on the subject, but I don't think it was proper for you to come on here and proclaim that somehow we AREN'T vegan and you are because you don't eat the occasional junk food. I respect that you're a vegetarian, strict one at that, and I think others here respect that, too, but to receive respect, it is wise to also give it.

I'm not going to post in response to, for example, Banana and tell her what a horrible person she is and that she's not vegan because she eats chocolate. And if I did, Banana would understandably get upset, because one, she actually IS a vegan and didn't eat any animal products (and cares about animals); and two, she didn't ask me what I thought of her eating habits.

Does that make sense?
    It definitely makes sense. You're very right. I made a mistake and I'm so very sorry to everyone. I guess I had a misunderstanding of what a vegan really is. You all should be proud of how many animals you're saving and preventing harm to them. I would love to come back to the forum.

Quote Liana
    It definitely makes sense. You're very right. I made a mistake and I'm so very sorry to everyone. I guess I had a misunderstanding of what a vegan really is. You all should be proud of how many animals you're saving and preventing harm to them. I would love to come back to the forum.
    Maybe we can help Liana become a better vegan and she can help us become better raw foodists!

Liana - If you have any questions about veganism, please ask.

There's so much to learn! And it seems you are very willing to learn!

Even if it's just to start using vegan beauty products or buying vegan shoes, I'm sure there are TONS of people here willing to help you with any questions you may have to becoming a true vegan.

We all have to start somewhere... and I think you've made a great start so far!

I thought I'd put on loads of weight as I've been stuffing food for England recently and can't seem to stop but when I weighed myself this morning I found I'd lost almost half a stone
    It must be because we only buy whole foods and no processed junk - even our sugar is unprocessed.
    Silent but deadly :p

Thanks for the weight loss tips Liana and as Terra suggested, I hope we can help you to become a better vegan and that you can help provide us with some healthful, vegan dietry information

I think we've manage to kick young Liana off the forum... how sad.

It's really too bad that we weren't able to teach Liana more of what we know *SO* much about... She seemed very eager to learn aswell as share her knowledge with us...

IS THERE A WAY TO BURN CALORIES FASTER?
    Neal Barnard, MD

I seem to gain weight so easily and lose it so slowly. Could I have a slow metabolism? Or thyroid problems?

It’s possible, but let’s start by defining our terms. The word “metabolism” means the speed at which your body burns calories. Even at rest, your body uses up some calories to maintain your body temperature and keep your brain working, your heart beating, etc. When you start moving around, your metabolism speeds up to keep pace with your muscles.

The thyroid gland—a small organ at the base of your neck—produces hormones that influence your metabolism. When these hormones are in short supply, you have a condition called hypothyroidism. Fatigue, depression, dry skin, coarse and thinning hair and intolerance to cold can all be symptoms. However, there are several reasons why some people’s metabolisms
    are slower than others, and thyroid problems are not usually to blame. Still, with some simple blood tests, your doctor can easily check your thyroid function and correct it, if necessary.

So what does account for a slow metabolism? Genetic factors are often at work here, so some people naturally have a more sluggish metabolism than others. And our metabolic rate tends to fall as we age, partly because of decreased activity.

Diets can lower your metabolism too. Very low-calorie diets—which typically restrict calories to 800 or fewer per day—slow your metabolic rate almost immediately and keep it low for weeks after the diet ends. These diets send your body into a starvation mode, in which your cells
    try to conserve energy as much as possible by holding on to calories.

Can I change my metabolism?

Yes, at least short-term. To measure your metabolic rate, doctors use equipment that records how quickly your body uses oxygen and produces carbon dioxide. Both are indicators of how quickly your cells consume fuel—that is, burn calories. Using these techniques, we’re able to
    see how various factors alter metabolism.

Here are the keys to faster calorie burning:

1. By far, the biggest increase in metabolism comes with physical activity, particularly aerobic exercise such as brisk walking, running, dancing or singles tennis. Your calorie burn is dramatically higher than at rest, and the effect may persist briefly after you stop.

2. Weight training helps, too, because it increases—or at least maintains—your muscle mass.
    Muscles burn calories more quickly than most other body tissues.

3. If you limit your calories, be careful. Even if you’re eager to lose weight, very low-calorie diets tend to slow down your metabolism. Here’s my rule of thumb: Take your ideal body weight, and multiply it by 10. This gives you your calorie minimum. For example, if I would like to weigh 150 pounds, my calorie minimum would be 1,500. I can eat more than this, but if I’m restricting calories, I cannot go below this number. If I do, I risk slowing down my metabolism.

4. Increase your after-meal burn. Your body has to work to digest the food you’ve just eaten, and, in the process, it burns some calories as body heat. This after-meal burn is sometimes called the thermic effect of food. It turns out that vegetarians seem to have a better after-meal burn than meat eaters do, as we here at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine observed in lab experiments done in 2000 and 2001 at George Washington University.

We measured the after-meal burn in 59 overweight, postmenopausal women consuming the same liquid breakfast drink. Then half of the group went on a low-fat, vegetarian diet, while the others went on a low-fat diet that included modest amounts of animal products.

After 14 weeks, we brought each participant back into the lab and checked her after-meal calorie burn again. It turned out that members of the vegetarian group had significantly increased their after-meal burn while the others had not. We measured the effect for about three hours after the meal, but it likely persists a bit longer than that.

Here’s at least part of what seems to be going on: The vegan diet improves insulin sensitivity, which means it’s easier to turn the nutrients you eat into energy. Because the after-meal burn comes largely from carbohydrates, not fatty foods, vegetarian diets are ideal. They are generally rich in complex carbs and low in fat, so they generate a better after-meal burn naturally, which may be part of why most people lose weight when they go vegetarian.

Now, the after-meal burn is small, totaling about 10 percent of your calorie expenditure (about 200 calories each day). However, small changes can add up, so it may well be that plant-based diets help with weight loss because they are lower in calories to begin with, and they may also increase metabolism after meals.

So, yes, you can rev up your metabolism and burn calories faster. By using aerobic exercise and weight training, maintaining an adequate calorie intake and increasing your after-meal burn, you will give yourself an edge.

That sounds promising . I already do all that though, with no results

mango woman

I'm starting to get fed up with myself. I have been staying around 1200 calories each day and i've been walking about a mile a day to work where i stand for anywhere from 5-8 hours. The only things i really eat are fruits, vegetables, nutritional yeast, bulgur, oats, and a few other things similar to those categories. I limit my intake of 'good fats' as well. I only drink water. Okay, once in a while i have a cup or two of high pulp oj for part of breakfast.

I eat a lot of bananas and sweet potatoes and apples because they the cheapest foods. I limit my intake of things such as nut butters and avocado..and I try to drink at least a litre of water each day.. i just don't get it!!!! I've heard bananas are fattening somewhere.. could my choice of fruits and vegetables be the variable preventing my weight loss? Any and all suggestions/advice welcomed and appreciated.

I've heard bananas have alot of sugars (the equivilant to two candy bars), but everytihng your eating including the bananas seems very healthy. Why are you trying to lose weight anyways? From your profile pic you look very slim. Maybe im just totally confusled about what you mean.
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

Ive actually decided for the first time yesterday that maybe i dont need to lose anymore weight. Its weird, i havent felt that way since i was to young to think i was fat.
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

mango woman

Quote Plunder Bunnie
    Ive actually decided for the first time yesterday that maybe i dont need to lose anymore weight. Its weird, i havent felt that way since i was to young to think i was fat.
    That's awesome. I hope someday i am comfortable with myself. Good job!!!! [or do i say congrats? idk. Either way, "you go girl" haha]

Quote theashleybeyer
    That's awesome. I hope someday i am comfortable with myself. Good job!!!! [or do i say congrats? idk. Either way, "you go girl" haha]
    I hope you do to, cuz you defintily dont need to lose any weight, you look like a very healthy girl!! Your slim, but not boney, which is GOOD!! Lol, but i know what its like to have people tell you that, its hard to sink in. Tommorow for all i know ill go back to hating myself, i just hope not!!

Quote theashleybeyer
    I'm starting to get fed up with myself. I have been staying around 1200 calories each day and i've been walking about a mile a day to work where i stand for anywhere from 5-8 hours. The only things i really eat are fruits, vegetables, nutritional yeast, bulgur, oats, and a few other things similar to those categories. I limit my intake of 'good fats' as well. I only drink water. Okay, once in a while i have a cup or two of high pulp oj for part of breakfast.

I eat a lot of bananas and sweet potatoes and apples because they the cheapest foods. I limit my intake of things such as nut butters and avocado..and I try to drink at least a litre of water each day.. i just don't get it!!!! I've heard bananas are fattening somewhere.. could my choice of fruits and vegetables be the variable preventing my weight loss? Any and all suggestions/advice welcomed and appreciated.
    Where r u getting your protein from? ie tofu, tempe, legumes, etc

mango woman

Quote treehugga
    Where r u getting your protein from? ie tofu, tempe, legumes, etc
    legumes mostly

You need a variety of sources otherwise you wont be getting all your essential amino acids etc. Feelgood foods should also be included to avoid depressive thoughts ie nuts,seeds soy etc. If your obsessing over it I suggest you replace your thoughts with something else eg phone a friend and dont discuss weight or diet. Tell yourself 'stop' I am healthy'. Replace the negative and don't get bound up with discussing it endlessly. This helps to feed the obsessive thoughts. You can make conscious decisions to change your thoughts and do something else.

Yogini

I bought a book called Molly Fox's Yoga Weight Loss Program to read over winter break. Now, traditional yogis, being Indian, like to eat milk products (somehow figures into the cow being sacred. I haven't worked out how.) But I expected there to be dairy mentioned when diet came up. What I didn't expect was this: there is carcass in nearly every single recipe!!! Yogis are encouraged to practice ahimsa. This means NON-HARM. How is eating a dead animal possibly in line with this philosophy?!? This is so bogus!!!

Friggin westerners gotta ruin everything cool from other cultures. All of a sudden yoga is only about getting thin - screw the beautiful philosophy that it's founded upon.

But I guess the fact that the author put her name in the title of the book probably should have tipped me off that she's bogus. That's a pretty ego-maniacal thing to do.

Sigh.

-Anna