Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss

Default Re: Weight Loss Tips

i thought this was quite funny and thought some of you might enjoy reading it

http://vegfamily.com/health/avoiding...-junk-food.htm
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

oldsilverhead

Default Re: Proud to eat healthy

I have been overweight for most of my life but I am proud to say that I have recently lost no less than 17 pounds slowly and carefully

If women are naturally slim then that is cool and if women are curvy then that is equally cool but I was overwight to the point of being unhealthy which is why I take such pride in my recent weight loss.

I still allow myself the occassional indulgent treat like yesterday's raspberry ruffle

oldsilverhead

Yeah, I'm still curvy but not overweight anymore. It's my genes. I'm Arabic and it seems that most Middle Eastern and Mediterean women are a little curvy. I could be 115 lbs and still have my hips and bum.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily
    Yeah, I'm still curvy but not overweight anymore. It's my genes. I'm Arabic and it seems that most Middle Eastern and Mediterean women are a little curvy. I could be 115 lbs and still have my hips and bum.
    Hell yeah! I am of middle eastern descent and I sure have hips, boobs and a bum! When I was anorexic, I didn't have anything but angles - now I am 'circular' - I have a tummy that pokes out too YAY FOR NOT LOOKING LIKE A TWIG

Default Re: Weight Loss

Hell no, I put on!! Only slightly, but I am told I look like I've lost weight.

I don't mind, I eat really healthy and accept my body. I'll tell you, recently I found this community that post pictures of women in vintage era (1920's etc) and what really struck me was this comment one woman left after seeing a picture. She said that she suddenly felt cool that she had hips, and didn't mind them as much. As soon as I read that, it just clicked. I realise how much of an impact visual imagery really does have and that if the media supported bodies which always look beautiful and are admired from these earlier decades ...how different the world could be.

Just thought I'd share that.

By the way, I'm 5' 5 and a half and weigh 63 kilo (I think that's about 132 pounds, but I'm not sure)

Question Weight Loss (help please!!)

Hello,

I have been reading a lot lately on this board and although I found a lot of information I haven't found much that pertains to weight loss. I understand that you guys have been vegan for quite a while and never really had a problem with weight. I am a new veggie on my way to being a vegan. I have followed a whole food low fat lifestyle since January 2006 and have lost weight. I also exercise at least 4 - 5 days a week (I include cardio and weight).

Here is where I am a bit lost. If I include the oils and nuts and avocados in my diet in moderation, will I be able to continue to loose weight nonetheless? I am very much aware of the health benefits of these but wouldn't it hinder the weight loss?

I have read pretty much everything that Dr. McDougall (vegan / low fat) has written and it makes sense to me and I am shedding off the pounds. So I am scared that if I add the oils it will stop the loss.

Can you help me with this please? I feel 100% better, I have energy, no more digestion problems but I still have weight to loose so I would appreciate your help/input.

Thanks much!!!
    Have a wonderful day!

Default Re: Weight Loss (help please!!)

Hi Smiley. Well done on your weight loss and move towards veganism. I'm not an expert but my opinion is that our bodies do need some fats (healthy ones such as the sort in nuts, avocados). As long as you don't consume vast amounts of fats and oils and you excercise sensibly, you should reach a healthy weight and stay there.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

ConsciousCuisine

Welcome! It sounds like you are doing a good job already! Why change what is working for you? However, if you want a vegan weight loss plan, send me a PM with your weight, age, height and any health conditions you may have and I'll customize one for you.

Gliondrach

Hello, Smiley. Welcome.

Have no fears about those oils. You need them and they're good for you.
    Good luck and I hope the pounds just melt off you.

Regards,

Martin.

oldsilverhead

Quote Smiley
    Hello,

I have been reading a lot lately on this board and although I found a lot of information I haven't found much that pertains to weight loss. I understand that you guys have been vegan for quite a while and never really had a problem with weight. I am a new veggie on my way to being a vegan. I have followed a whole food low fat lifestyle since January 2006 and have lost weight. I also exercise at least 4 - 5 days a week (I include cardio and weight).

Here is where I am a bit lost. If I include the oils and nuts and avocados in my diet in moderation, will I be able to continue to loose weight nonetheless? I am very much aware of the health benefits of these but wouldn't it hinder the weight loss?

I have read pretty much everything that Dr. McDougall (vegan / low fat) has written and it makes sense to me and I am shedding off the pounds. So I am scared that if I add the oils it will stop the loss.

Can you help me with this please? I feel 100% better, I have energy, no more digestion problems but I still have weight to loose so I would appreciate your help/input.

Thanks much!!!
    Have a wonderful day!
    I am a Mc Dougaller and have consequently lost 17 pounds in a short space of time

I follow his advice 99.9% of the time because I do continue to take fats in the form of my daily omega 3,6 and 9 capsules and I allow myself just one off-diet meal a week(nut,seed,soya,advocado-based)

I am happy to try and answer any Mc Dougall-based questions.

oldsilverhead

Thank you all for your answers and words of encouragment.

CC, I sent you a PM.

I am proud to say that since January 2nd I have lost 14 pounds just by eating healthy and exercising. Lots more to loose but I am on my way to good health and good looks .

Have a wonderful day!
    Let thy food be thy medecine

oldsilverhead

You are welcome.

I am right there with you(still have another 7 pounds to lose).

Well done you!

oldsilverhead

Reflexology

Default Need to lose some weight..any tips???

Hi,

I'm desperately trying to lose some weight, Im currently about 2 stone overweight and finding it very difficult to lose, especially with all the scrummy vegan dessert recipes on here

I have tried loads of diets, but i just want to get some control and tips on getting and staying healthy and slim forever (Slimming World state on their website that they are geared for a vegan diet, yet when i enquired about this, they were as helpful as a soggy spade!!!, their diet's are basically totally geared towards those who consume large amounts of flesh)

Any help would be much appreciated, just really want to fit back into all my clothes

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Default Re: Need to lose some weight..any tips???

hi
    cut out the carbohydrates (bread, pasta, potato) and sugar. use minimum of oil when preparing food, if you can mostly boil or steam your veggies. don't use too much salt in food. eat raw fruits and veggies in unlimited quantities, there's no need to be hungry. while eating like this, don't consume any alcohol. good luck .
    http://www.prijatelji-zivotinja.hr/index.en.php

Reflexology

Thanks for the tips, I'm gona really go for it from tmrw, i want to start feeling the benefits of healthy eating now so im ready to make a few changes

have given up alcohol, for a bit anyway, and cut down on salt. I like the idea of raw food so am deff going to include more into my diet

Thanks again x

You need carbohydrates for energy. Eat whole grains and if you eat potatoes, go for red or sweet.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

I lost over 100lbs by writing down everything I ate and keeping the cals around 1500/day. I can maintain on about 1700-2000/day. EXERCISE! There is no magic answer. Calories in vs. calories out = weight loss.

mango woman

Fiber fiber fiber fiber! Lots of water!

I have no idea how much weight I've lost because I don't have bathroom scales ... but I've dropped at least a full dress size in six weeks.
    I know I've lost 5cm (2 inches) off my waist and more off my hips!
    (A happy if unexpected side effect of going vegan.)

Now I have the "problem" of needing new clothes because all my old clothes fit like a tent.

hmmm...i am looking to losing some weight as well.

i have joined a gym. & have started eating soy/linseed bread instead of white. have also cut out white rice, and am going to cut down on potatoes. i love sweet potatoes so i think i will eat more of them. and try to cut down on pasta! :/

also i have switched to fruit sugar..do i need to watch how much of this i eat? i suppose its still sugar at the end of the day. i find it really hard to not eat sugar though :/ like, if i have porridge, i find its not sweet enough.

hmm..anyway..i think i need to try & eat more raw fruit & veg too :/

I quit smoking in October 2004 and gained 25 pounds within the first 3 months. I worked sooo hard for over a year to try to get those pounds off with no success. In April 2005 I became Vegetarian but did not lose a pound. Approx. 2 weeks ago I transitioned to vegan and have already lost 8 pounds.

Congratulations on your veganism, quitting smoking, and your diet success! So many things to be proud of and happy about
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote DancingWillow
    Congratulations on your veganism, quitting smoking, and your diet success! So many things to be proud of and happy about
    Thanks!! I am feeling pretty good. All are life changing experiences for the better. I didn't become vegan to loose weight, that was just a bonus.
    Being healthy feels awesome!!

mango woman

what about agave nectar or brown rice syrup? i think those two are pretty low in calories but still nice and sweet...?

Eat more raw food than cooked food.

sugarmouse

i know whatu mean lozza.sugar is my downfall but in cups of T and coffee i jsut liekthe taste.i think fruit sugar is slightly lower in calories than say, white processed sugar not sure though! and i m guessing anything thats easier on the digestive system , wil help your metabolism therefore can only help weighloss not hinder it..so its good that u swap to fructose in that sense.
    im tryin to lose weight also.i m usin less ketchup, less oil and eatin less avacados and olives! Lol

1 tsp of sugar has only 16 calories, so as long as you don't abuse it, it's fine in my books.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote TofurkyZombie
    EXERCISE! There is no magic answer. Calories in vs. calories out = weight loss.
    I second that. Eat small meals often,it keeps your metabolism up. Learn to eat when you are hungry and not because you're bored/think you're hungry.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

There are some great tips here. Every little decision adds up.. don't feel overwhelmed by "I need to lose x amount of weight", but just take it one little decision at a time, one day at a time and the results will come. If you're making healthier choices in bits and pieces at a time, before you know it you'll be living a lifestyle that will allow you to easily maintain your results, rather than just 'dieting'.

Let your body lose weight at its own pace and give it time to adjust. I have met many people who want to lose 70 pounds (or more) ASAP, but that's just not natural. That's why crash diets invariably fail. Your body needs to gradually adjust to being a progressively lower weight, so there are many fluctuations involved when you're aiming for a healthier, thinner figure: sometimes weight is lost rapidly, sometimes slowly, sometimes a plateau is reached. Your body knows what to do to adjust and function optimally! It always amazes me how knowledgeable your body is and how well it treats you even when you abuse it! Think about it...your body can slow or speed your metabolism based on your intake of food, it knows exactly how much stomach acids to release so that there are no extra acids to burn your stomach, it works to quickly eliminates toxins from foods, and so on...all without any conscious thought on your part!!!

Another tip: eat breakfast EVERY day! It sets your metabolism rate. If you skip breakfast, your metabolism slows down and goes into conservation mode, because it doesn't know when food will be available again.

Good luck! We're all here to support you
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

sugarmouse

i got so so disheartened the other day to find out how much i weigh!i have recently been lookin a lot slimmer due to diet and exercise changes though not ddrastic ones, but inow weigh more than i ever have, even when i was plumper!

Sugarmouse, measure yourself instead, you may have put on muscle which weighs more than fat.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

mango woman

i try to take my measurements rather than my weight, and that way i can tell if i've actually been toning up.. and plus that NUMBER on the scale really can get discouraging.

Sugarmouse, i'm sure that you have probably gained muscle [which weighs more than fat] if you have been trying to be healthy. If you base your progress on how you feel as a whole and/or how you look [muscle/fat wise], i'm sure the importance of the number will fade..

Good luck! I'm trying to incorporate more exercise in my day.. a fifteen minute walk isn't going to cut it anymore!

prilly-pie

owuh i am so fed up and depressed and living no life at all. i am now 190. i need to be healthy and lose weight. i want drastic results but theres no way- im going to eat fruit for breakfast, and graze on salads throughout the day i think. im so uncomfortable. i cant even find a comfortable position to sit down or lay down. ive ballooned 50 pounds in 2 months. i hate myself. i have crying fits every day, and i hate looking in the mirror. i just cannot stop bingeing on food when i am not hungry.

veganja

Well the good thing is, you want to do something about it and you're getting good advice and support. Losing weight takes time, as does getting fit, so wanting immediate results is just planning for frustration and failure.

If you really feel your eating is out of control and upsetting you professional help might help, you could even try a hypnotherapist. Habits don't change immediately.

Eating differently and less and being more physically active can feel very strange at first. Eat more slowly, notice each mouthful, never eat till you feel really full, get up and move around when done eating, don't sit there eating more.

All the best.

Quote veganja
    Eating differently and less and being more physically active can feel very strange at first. Eat more slowly, notice each mouthful, never eat till you feel really full, get up and move around when done eating, don't sit there eating more.
    That's really good advice! And these are all great habits even if you are at a weight you're satisfied with or for once you get down to the weight you desire.
    ~John Wooden

Quote ladyaprille
    ive ballooned 50 pounds in 2 months.
    Why is that? Because you are unhappy?
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote ladyaprille
    owuh i am so fed up and depressed and living no life at all. i am now 190. i need to be healthy and lose weight. i want drastic results but theres no way- im going to eat fruit for breakfast, and graze on salads throughout the day i think. im so uncomfortable. i cant even find a comfortable position to sit down or lay down. ive ballooned 50 pounds in 2 months. i hate myself. i have crying fits every day, and i hate looking in the mirror. i just cannot stop bingeing on food when i am not hungry.
    I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so depressed and frustrated, ladyaprille

It's wonderful that you're trying to be healthy! And sometimes the road to being healthy can be discouraging or overwhelming. I know it takes some effort at first, but thinking positively about the fantastic changes you're making and the respect you're giving your body by living a healthy lifestyle can be very encouraging and a source of joy and pride

You're very right in recognizing that drastic results will only frustrate you more and cause you to feel more discouraged and depressed. Take you time, do what you know is right and healthy, and results will come on their own!

Eating fruits and veggies throughout the day is a great idea, but from the way you said it (and I could be wrong in interpreting it) you sound like you feel that you're not going to be getting enough food just from those to fill your stomach and satiate your feelings of hunger. There's no reason to starve yourself, as that will only discourage you from your diet. Eat healthy amounts of food regularly so that you feel comfortably full.

Are you feeling depressed because you're not happy with your weight or do you have other things in your life that are contributing to your depression? You said that in the past two months you've gained a lot of weight and that you can't stop eating when you're not hungry...do you know what's causing that? Do you feel that it's emotional eating or something else?

I hope that this thread and other threads on healthy eating can be of valuable help to you! I wish you the best in the wonderful changes you're making
    ~John Wooden

sugarmouse

you will lose the extra weight ladyaprille if you want to.by the sounds of it you know what is causing it aswell.
    alot of us are comfort eaters..i know i can be somewtimes....dont cut out too much food, as DW said.when u eat when you arent hungry, what is it that you eat?maybe always keepin healthy low cal snacks to hand wil help...itll help you stop viewung food as the enemy...see it as something to nourish your body with, you can lose weight without being so strict if you make sure you eat healthy.

good luck

I found that when i lost two stone the best way was not to eat after teatime! no matter how hungry i was i didnt eat at night and the weight just fell off, but i have been sent a report by sugarmouse from a health doctor who says it doesnt matter what time you eat!!!! i think it does matter but thats just my opinion..it worked for me

prilly-pie

i suffer from s.a.d and its really hit me hard this year and becuase im not too happy with my situation at the moment, i suppose i eat. last yer i lost weight but id lost a stone by this time last year so im behind myself already. i just dont know how to kick myself up the butt to get going. im miserable. my mates want to meet up and the last time they saw me i was 9 stone. im now 4 and a bit stone heavier. they say they understand(theyre the best mates ever..) and im going to see tom next thursday but he said if i want to go home i can.
    in december i went to a psychotherapist but i did not like it at all (that was when the bingeing 1st started).
    im 19 in april (24th) and grrrrrr i just cannot seem to get a grasp of myself. id love to be a couple of stone lighter by then.
    il keep trying. perhaps if i wrote a plan out instead of deciding at the time.

Ladyaprille, at least the summer is coming, you should feel better soon. Try not to think of losing X stone, just try to eat more healthily and get out and about when you feel you can. Focusing on something away from food/your weight should help.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote theashleybeyer
    what about agave nectar or brown rice syrup? i think those two are pretty low in calories but still nice and sweet...?
    what are these? can you buy them in supermarkets? i've never seen/heard of them..

prilly-pie

agave nectar comes from a cactus type plant.. you can get it from good health food stores. brown rice syrup is syrup from cultured rice enzymes.. too from health food stores.
    ive not yet come accross them in supermarkets.. x

cool thankyou..i will check out the health food stores where i live then. cheers.

Geoff

I lost about 15 kgs and haven't varied more than a few hundred grams in months by following the McDougall Program and doing 2000 cals worth of treadmill at around 70% of MHR. Easy!

mango woman

Quote Geoff
    2000 cals worth of treadmill at around 70% of MHR. Easy!
    HA! That would be insane for me.. you must be in excellent shape!!

Geoff

Quote theashleybeyer
    HA! That would be insane for me.. you must be in excellent shape!!
    I do 40mins (2X20) walking at around 5.5 kph on a gradient of 4% - 5% which anyone could do, I imagine.
    (20 mins on the treadmill is 150 cal.)

tabitha

I am training a very overweight lady at the gym at the mo. She is so motivated. She has been doing 5 mins fast walk, 5 mins walk on incline 4 and is building up to a 5 min jog (so far can do 2 mins), then does 10 min stepper and 10 min rower. (Im not saying you are overweight - I didnt read all thread), Im just so impressed with this ladys motivation and shes always up for a challenge bless her.

feral

Ladyaprille have you ever thought of a community psychiatric nurse? I had very good treatment on a few occasions with mine. They tend to be a bit more down to earth and less impersonal than some 'higher ranks' of the mental health teams.

Have you tried light-box therapy? Some companies will lend the box out for a trial period. Also a vitamin D supplement might help.

I've also gained weight through ill health and I've learned to just try to eat as healthy as possible but not beat myself up about the naughty days. If you are too hard on yourself you'll perpetrate a defeatist attitude regarding your weight and this will only be counter productive.

Is there any chance of getting a daily 20min - 30min walk during daylight hours? This is often a helpful tool against winter depression. I would suggest that if you address the depression and develop your own coping skills you'll naturally eat less, feel better about yourself and loose weight.

Good luck and if you think there's anything I can help with feel free to ask