Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss

mango woman

Default Re: Weight Loss

Have you tried just switching to a healthier bread, something with more fiber, maybe some protein and just better for you in general? Nevermind me if you are already addicted to super healthy bread.. i know i am!

prilly-pie

I seem to be eating 5 pieces of fruit-- one per hour of waking until 12pm, and then nothing else for the rest of the day. I too have a bf whos made me incredibly happy and i just cant eat. I suppose its good- bcos i'l lose weight - i will wont i?? but at the same time, i need to push myself to eat a little more. Ah what lust does to you!! xxx

Ladyaprilla, you are only eating 5 pieces of fruit a day? That is not good for you. Please try to eat more. I know what it is like to fall in love and its all you can think of but you need to think of you health to.

prilly-pie

yer i know-its hard to eat bcos of this amazing feeling- but oh well. lastnight we had a bbq at ferry meadows and i ate a big salad and some nuts there.. but still not enough. I shall try x

Ferry meadows is a nice place to have a BBQ Its only 10min from me.
    Glad your eating a bit more but please look after yourself.

prilly-pie

ME TOO! i used to live 5 minutes walk away, but now im a 10 minute drive. It was perfect last night. we all had a bbq, then we played on the swings (there really should be an adult playground!!) and played tag with some kids in the field. Josh took some gorgeous photos and i'll try to upload some for you all sometime

That would be nice

Ladyaprille, if you are in love and (how shall I put it?) physical, then you need to eat WAY more to keep your strength up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

prilly-pie

hmmm!! but seeing as this is a weight loss thread it may be a far far better thing to make a bit of a calorie deficit with the old action
    I have eaten alot better today, except everything i ate, came from fruit and im worried bcos fruits high in sugar, so am i ruining my diet by eating about 10 pieces of fruit and a salad per day?? should i keep fruit for breakfast alone? x

mango woman

I usually eat a fruit salad for breakfast.. and i usually try not to limit myself.. [if i feel like having a huge fruit salad that day, then i do] and i will sometimes have 1-2 pieces of fruit [TOPS] throughout the day after that. Do you try switching it up with raw/dried fruit?

prilly-pie

not at the moment. I'm trying to stay away from high calorie foods whilst im losing weight. they also send me crazily high!!

mango woman

ah, i see. Wellllllll..... fruit is good for you.. so i don't think you'll have much to worry about. as long as you don't eat like nine million pieces of fruit i think you'll be fine.

Quote treehugga
    I have 7 to go and now weigh 72 kilo's. I get to buy myself a present when I get to 70 and aghain at 65 as I'm focusing on 5 kilo goals.
    What kind of present are you going to buy?

prilly-pie

I was just about to took into doritos tomato salsa and GRRRRRR it has whey in it- does anybody know of a vegan alternative? bcos its so low cal, its perfect for dipping vegetable sticks into.
    xxx

mango woman

i'm pretty sure most salsa is low calorie anyway.. and there are many many brands of salsa you could get your hands on.

Quote Nest
    What kind of present are you going to buy?
    Hmmmm Nest I'm still thinking about that one and I guess I'll have a couple more weeks to consider although this morning I did my weekly weigh in and I've lost another kilo (Only 1 to go for the pressie).

I think I'll either get a new top or some new gym pants as mine are getting baggy - hooray!

I can't wait to lose the 6 kilo's and get my new pair of jeans. I hope to have lost the excess weight in time for summer.

Geoff

Yeah - I need new jeans too. Since going from 78kg clothed to 59kg naked, I look like I borrowed my jeans from a much chubbier person!

tabitha

Heres hoping you havent got the same dress sense as your avatar buddy!

Quote treehugga
    Hmmmm Nest I'm still thinking about that one and I guess I'll have a couple more weeks to consider although this morning I did my weekly weigh in and I've lost another kilo (Only 1 to go for the pressie).

I think I'll either get a new top or some new gym pants as mine are getting baggy - hooray!

I can't wait to lose the 6 kilo's and get my new pair of jeans. I hope to have lost the excess weight in time for summer.
    Good luck Treehugga - not that you need it. I'm sure you'll be in your new jeans for summer!

Quote Geoff
    Yeah - I need new jeans too. Since going from 78kg clothed to 59kg naked, I look like I borrowed my jeans from a much chubbier person!
    Were you trying to lose weight or was that the result of your operation??? Either way, take good care of yourself.

sugarmouse

Quote Wishin986
    Me too!! I hate when people watch me brush my teeth it makes me very self-conscious for some reason!

yey!!someone who feels the same as me!!!! i havent a clue why!most people dont seem to care! in fact, i wold rather ppl saw mehavin a wee than doing that!

mango woman

I get nervous when people watch me.. in general. But one thing i really don't like [and this happened with a nonvegan boy im hanging around with the other day] when i am watched as i prepare my food.. if they arent really watching then its okay, but its when they are amazed by the food im eating or something, and i feel like im on the spot!

Quote Geoff
    Well really you have

Geoff

Hey - I do the jokes around here! And the weight loss was intentional, Nest, because I figured that if I lose lots of visible fat, it will suck some out of my arteries! Sounds crazy but it just might work!

Pilaf

I lost over 150 lbs before turning Vegan, but I've actually gained a little weight since. *blush* No matter. I still workout regularly and I feel great.

I am putting on weight now.. Arrrghhh!!!! Thats because I am at my folks in India and being fed like a king.!! Its two feasts everyday and absolutely no exercise. I'm being more royally treated after I broke my leg.

This would mean more cardios after I get back to UK. I however drink lots of water at the moment and counting on its action for the weight loss. Seems its negligible.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

tabitha

Ive put on a lot of weight since I had the lump in my neck zapped. I cant quite get back into the routine of exercise at the mo. I think its because I know Ive got one more op before lump hopefully disappears! So I cant settle!. How did you knacker your leg Kiran? It must be nice to be spoilt so!

Quote treehugga
    ... I can't wait to lose the 6 kilo's and get my new pair of jeans ...
    Have you got your new jeans yet, Treehugga?

On Thursday, (the first day of winter Down Under for those who didn't know ), I got my old jeans out of the suitcase - where I had thrown them in disgust three years ago because they were so tight - and tried them on. To make a long story short - I bought new jeans today and they are THREE SIZES SMALLER than the old ones! Woo-hoo!!!

That's fantastic Nest. You should be really proud .

Unfortunatly my new jeans are a bit of a way off yet.
    I actually put on an extra kilo this week due to over eating of course, but will get back on track this week

i havent been exercising for about 2 months..i didnt have time cos i've been studying for exams etc.

i think i am putting on weight again i've not really been eating properly for ages. i made the mistake of eating sugar again and cant stop eating sugary things. im becoming less & less interested in veggies

Quote treehugga
    That's fantastic Nest. You should be really proud .
    Thank you very much! I am feeling good about it ... although I still have quite a bit to go & I'm not actually "dieting", just eating a good, healthy vegan diet.

Quote treehugga
    Unfortunatly my new jeans are a bit of a way off yet.
    I actually put on an extra kilo this week due to over eating of course, but will get back on track this week
    No doubt you'll look / feel sensational by summer!

I'm banking on it and I've lost that extra kilo already

Quote lozza
    i havent been exercising for about 2 months..i didnt have time cos i've been studying for exams etc.

i think i am putting on weight again i've not really been eating properly for ages. i made the mistake of eating sugar again and cant stop eating sugary things. im becoming less & less interested in veggies
    When we study a lot our brains use up lots of glucose hence the urge to eat sugary foods. Try and have lots of low GI foods like wholegrains and whole oaten porridge to curb the urges.

When I was studying I used to take an hour out of my day to exercise and found it helped my ability to study enormously. Even just a brisk walk will do wonders for your ability to retain info.

I was in my third year at uni when I had my last child and managed to full time placements and exams as well as daily exercise even though I was up several times during the night and breastfeeding. You can scheduale it in if you really want to and it will help the study no end I guarantee it.

prilly-pie

Is it possible to lose inches yet not lose weight? ive lost about an inch of my hips and waist.. yet no change on the scales... yet... HELP

Yes, it is normal to lose inches and not weight if you are exercising more and eating healthier. This is because muscle weighs more than fat.
    Being overweight can put a strain on the heart because of all the extra weight it has to carry.
    You can tell this by how you feel when carrying heavy shopping bags or a loaded rucksack and walking up a hill!
    But are you sure you need to lose weight?
    I am not overwight but I have been going to a gym once week for about an hour to keep fit and build bone density. I have noticed an initial loss of a few pounds but now I am putting it back on. However my stomach has gone completely flat and my legs and arms are more toned. My trousers are looser too so I am not that bothered about the pounds. Concentrate on healthy eating and regular exercise and the scales will take care of themselves.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote ladyaprille
    Is it possible to lose inches yet not lose weight? ive lost about an inch of my hips and waist.. yet no change on the scales... yet... HELP
    Have you had your body-fat measured? It is a better indication of fitness than body-weight. (You can get your body-fat measured at a health club or your doctor could probably do it.) I believe that a healthy body-fat measurement for women is between 20 - 26 percent.

prilly-pie

Right. I weigh 13 stone 12 pounds.. or 194 pounds.
    i have lost some weight(im not sure how much bcos i have only just weighed again). I would like to lose 3 pounds per week so that by xmas -( im taking into account plateaus here!) i can be alot happier and slimmer and healthier - when im healthy, bubbly and bright, i am always happy.
    Now, i go on my trampoline morning and night for ten minutes- bouncing, doing sit down/stand ups, twisting, legs. Trust me- ten minutes without a stop is hard work! I also do toning morning and night which lasts for 15 minutes.. i do it with a dvd so i stick to it.
    I drink 3 litres of water per day
    I plan to have fruit for breakfast and 2 veg based meals for lunch and dinner - high protein in the evenings.
    i am taking vitamins just to up my b's and calcium.

Is this possible?
    I am going on holiday mid september and would like 2 stone off by then.

Good plan? 3 pounds per week remember... xxx

2 stone is a helluva lot to lose by mid September and it would difficult unless you were a really large person with a lot of weight to lose.

The thing is to lose it slowly and steadily so it stays off otherwise once you start eating normally again it will all pile back on. You need to lose it as you gained it - over time.

You should vary your routine as well. The same exercise day in day out means your body adapts and stops being challenged, even though you may feel you are doing a lot.

A recent study on Australian television by a university professor whose speciality is fat burning showed that you burn more fat and for twice as long if you work at your maximum heartrate for about 50 mins x 5 times per week. This means intense cardio -sweating etc. Walking etc also burned fat but at a much slower rate and only for half the amount of time.
    Weight training also creates fat burning and is great for bone density and core strength.

Food wise, it's better to eat 5-6 smaller meals per day than 3 main meals for weight loss.

I'm now down to 70 kgs and have my new dress. woo hoo.

Now for the next 5 kgs challenge.

todays exercise consisted of 1 hour of body combat - i'm now a mean lean fighting machine. Tomorrow I do body pump (weights to music) for 1 hour.

Food.
    B- whole oats and soy milk
    sn - fruit and nuts
    L - small pesto pizza and hommous
    sn-protein shake
    D- mashed potato, crumbed parsnip and carrot bake, stir fied asian greens and bean and nut burger.
    sn-apple/ mandarine and some frozen red grapes.

Ladyaprille, how tall are you? 13 stone is more normal for a 6 foot person than a 5 foot one. I agree 2 stone is a lot to lose in a few months. I am guessing that you have lost weight, and then gained it back, in the past???
    You will only keep excess weight off by identifying the causes of your weight gain and then changing those causes for good, permanently, not by going on diets.

I just thought I'd share this, in case it's of use to anyone. I've lost 4lbs in the past week and a half. I've eaten, salads, two cooked meals out, but I have a new secret weapon. An icecream maker. Fruity icecreams! I never thought weight loss could be so easy and so fun. I love having icecream for breakfast. I eat as much icecream as I want. Just blend lots of fruit and some soya milk (maybe some nuts too), shove it in the icecream maker for 1/2 hr and like magic you have what must be the tastiest weight-loss formula ever!

hiya! I too would like to lose 2 stone, can you tell me what toning dvd you are doing?

prilly-pie

those frozen icecream/smoothies sound magical!

well its more like 14 stone for a 5 foot 7 person.. and that is over weight so i am hoping my body wud lose it naturally quickly just by incorporating more exercise and swapping for a few salads...
    youre right. this time last year i was a size ten and i was 9 and a half stone. i was really healthy and i lost about a stone per month and then after an initial two stone , i lost about 2 pounds per week. (starting weight was 12 stone). i put it back on bcos i suffer from sad (season affected disorder--basically severe winter depression). ive had so much support and now im ready to lose weight. before i wasnt, so i focused on being happy. now i am, and feel strong enough to shed some pounds.

i reeealy will take in to account what you have all said and i am so grateful to have such great ppl interested in my well being.
    they say losing weight wont make you happier, but for me.. this isnt the case. its all about healthy body- inside and out. now that i am ready to take the step - im going to do it properly.

when losing weight bone density and muscle can be lost too, these weigh more than fat and its really bad to lose them (bone density in particular is almost impossible to regain) so it is wise to focus on getting fit and eating healthy as much as losing weight for its own sake.

I think its best to go by how you look rather than what you weigh. If you are working out, you will build muscle which weighs more and could have you thinking you are gaining weight when you are not.
    Scales are not a dieters friend
    Good luck with reaching your goal though

Quote treehugga
    I'm now down to 70 kgs and have my new dress. woo hoo.
    Congratulations Treehugga! Keep up the good work!

I find it really hard to loose weight. It sounds so simple "Eat healthy and exercise" but putting it into practice is really hard. Especially when no one supports you and all they do is buy chips and cookies and sabotoges everything. And it doesn't help that my boyfriend tries to discourage me by telling me he likes my chubby body. Well I don't! Hmph!

It's really hard and I'm always so hungry. No amount of veggies or fruits is going to fill me up when all I want is bread and sweets.

I lost weight before (around 40lbs) through Weight Watchers but I hate their plan and I really don't wan to follow their plan again. It's boring and I hate living my life freaking out over every little calorie and fat gram.

Exercising isn't fun and I'm too self concious to do it most of the time. I have no friends (honestly) so I have to exercise alone. It's really boring and tedious and I always blow if off to eat soy ice cream or something equally horrible.

I know I'm complaining but I hate it. I hate my body. It's so absolutely disgusting, it's all flabby and soft and bounces everywhere when try to exercise. I hate the way I look and I hate how all my clothes are too tight for me, and I all I have left to wear are my pajamas, my stretchy skirt, and my gym pants.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

mango woman

tigerlily, i know how you feel. It can and DOES get really discouraging when you are trying to get in shape and you feel like everyone is trying to sabotage you. Just try one thing at a time.. and even walking helps.. is there any way you could start walking a little more? even a couple times a week would be something. Also, maybe slowly incorporate more raw foods into your meals.. and try to find healthy alternatives to the things you are craving. For example, i am a bread fiend and so i went out and found this brand of bread called Natural Ovens, and basically according to weight watchers it is zero points. so yeah.. i don't even follow weight watchers but i know that one tidbit of info. heh. I know i know, i'm sure you've heard all this before but any change for the better does help and you'll start to see results if you continue with it. You just need to ask yourself if you really do want to get in shape, and if you do, then make a list. Have it be many small changes you can make without completely overwhelming yourself.. and then once you get the hang of one change you can cross it out and move to the next one. You'll get in shape in no time. good luck!

I haven't lost any weight at all. I'm kind of disappointed because I really need to lose some.

Sorry to rant, folks, but I really need to get this out of my system!

A few women I'm aquainted with asked me how I have lost "so much weight" this year - they asked for specific details of my diet and exercise plan. (BTW, they all say that they'd do anything to lose weight!!!) So I told them that I've lost 14kg's (31 lbs) so far, and explained that my weight has been stable for a month now but I am changing shape / size due to the exercise plan I began on June 6.

When I said that the weight started coming off when I went vegan, the smiles dropped from their faces, and one woman actually said, "Oh! So you're not dieting then - you've just cheated the system."

I was stunned speechless! I didn't have liposuction done I changed to a healthier diet!!! How is that cheating the system?