Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan food hits Waitrose! (UK)

Talking Vegan food hits Waitrose! (UK)

To all the UK vegans out there, I know that Waitrose is a supermarket (and once upon a time I heard about a boycott of John Lewis companies but that was over ten years ago and I've heard nothing since so hopefully that's over now) but I popped into Waitrose today for a tub of sorbet (which, by the way, is lush) and discovered that they have suddenly started stocking a whole range of vegan products! I have no health food store in my local area so was really excited. They had just set up an extended 'free-from' section which beat Sainsbury's rubbish free-from section (all low-carb crap, nothing vegan) hands down. Vegan chocolate bars, dairy free sauces and pestos, bouillon, cake, all sorts! And when I went to their chilled section I discovered that they stocked Redwood's fish-free fingers. I really like Redwood products (check them out: www.redwoodfoods.co.uk) so went to customers services to congratulate them on the big influx of vegan products and ask if they could extend their range of Redwood foods.
    I know that this will be of no interest to those of you who do not like supermarkets and/or 'substitute' foods; fair enough, ignore this thread. But for me, this is very welcome news. It makes it much easier for me to obtain foods that I like, and the Redwood foods are particularly good for sharing with omnis. (They're also good to recommend to panicked omnis who want to cook you dinner but are scared of vegan food!) And if anyone else has a Waitrose (or indeed any other supermarket) in their area, encourage them to follow suit, and make a point of appreciating them if they do start to expand their vegan range. After I made my approving comments to customer services, they sent their manager over to ask me for details of other vegan products that they could stock! SCORE! So I passed on my wish list and am now keeping my fingers crossed!
    Live and let live

Default Re: Vegan food hits Waitrose! (UK)

There is a waitrose near me, I wil definately go and check it out soon, that is great news.I do like 'substitute' foods, as well as normal homecooked stuff sothis is brilliant. Also, you can never have enough stockists of vegan chocolate!

Love the avatar by the way Glen!
    Live and let live

Hehe, thank you

Kevster

I had to shop in Waitrose the other day, and found it to be by far the best of any of the 'super'markets i've been in. I just hate Sainsbury's free from range, (they forgot to take out the eggs) Waitrose also do a vegan certiified organic beer, no great shakes tho,

Kev

Default Waitrose labelling

I noticed (in my perhaps misguided attempts to shop at a more ethical supermarket?) that Ocado(Waitrose) have labelling their 'Yarden Turkey Schnitzel 8-12 per pack 1kg' http://www.ocado.com/webshop/startWebshop.do?tab=0
    are labelled suitable for vegetarians
    I called the helpline and they have told me they will look into it..

Default Re: Waitrose labelling

I didn't see it on there but that sucks.

You know what? I blame on the wanna-be-vegs. "Oh I'm vegetarian but I still eat chicken", blah blah.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Re: Waitrose labelling

i blame it on typos

on a site the size of that they're bound to make mistakes from time to time. It's what theyd do about it when someone finds an error which counts.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Lilac Hamster

Default Warning: Dorchester chocs in Waitrose - do not assume vegan

My husband was in Waitrose today and saw some of the plain chocolate rose and violet creams, they looked identical to the ones we have had from Dr Hadwen stalls at vegan events. However on looking at the ingredients he discovered E120 (cochineal) on the list so those in Waitrose are not vegan.

Lesley

Default Waitrose vegan wine list

Mrs Vegcurry just found this Waitrose Vegan Wine List. I'm amazed, as when I searched at xmas it didn't have that, so she drank the champagne we were given ... which she now informs me was vegan and tasted lovely. Grrrrr but at the same time.

Default Re: Waitrose vegan wine list

Thank you for the wine list

Here is the beer list (with some wines) that I've been following ...
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint...ian_beers.html

It does differentiate between vegetarian and vegan beers.

Default Misleading Advert for Waitrose

(Mods soz if this is in wrong place!)

Please complain to Waitrose and the ASA:
    http://vegancampaigns.org.uk/archives/2007/07.08.html

I wrote the following:

To whom it may concern,
    I find your campaign "no cows, no countryside" very disturbing. It has recently been stated by the government and the UN, that to reduce your carbon footprint you must eat less meat as the rearing of livestock creates more greenhouse gas than your car. That's roughly 18% of the worlds total greenhouse gases including C02 and methane.The rearing of livestock for food also damages the enviroment and destroys eco systems. I find it grossly misleading and unfair that you suggest that by buying British beef we are helping save the British countryside. I have also written to the advertising standards agency with a complaint.
    Regards,
    Emma Attwell
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Default Re: Misleading Advert for Waitrose

post the reply - if and when you get one!

They replied straight away and said that they had had many complaints and that they were dealing with the situation and an official reply will be sent soon!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

They have got another complaint to deal with now . I think Waitrose is usually pretty good as supermarkets go and I'm annoyed that they have put their name on such rubbish.

I've written to them complaining!
    I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde

Good good! Spread the word...I also posted it on myspace and a forward on hotmail!

ok this is what I got as a reply:

Dear Ms Attwell,
    Thank you for your e-mail.
    The Fair Trade for British Farmers campaign, which bears the slogan "No Cows, No Countryside" is designed to raise public awareness of the link between the countryside and farming: with three-quarters of our landscape managed by farmers. We believe the future of the British Countryside is affected by the sustainability and vitality of the UK's farming sector.
    This is a major concern as industry research has revealed the significant gap between attitudes to the countryside and support for farming: while some 90% of people believe that farming is important to Britain, only a quarter are prepared to actively support British farmers. Our aim is to highlight the importance of fair and sustainable relationships with farmers and retailers
    Rest Assured that Waitrose takes the issue of climate change very seriously and we are working consistently to reduce the impact of our operations on the environment through a raft of initiatives.We are switching to renewable energy before the end of the year, reducing
    wastage, promoting recycling and aiming to buy British during the UK season.
    In addition, we are working closely with the Government on Defra's Sustainable Farming and Food Strategy. However, we are never complacent and are always looking at how we can minimise our impact on the environment.
    Thank you for giving us the opportunity to clarify our position.

Not sure what to write back to be honest. Any ideas?

Tell them that they've missed your point and you think the ad should be pulled because you still think it's misleading, I guess. Sounds like they drafted a form letter to try and cover everything anyone might have brought up
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Yes, I got an identical reply. I just wrote back summarising my original points and saying I was planning to complain formally to the ASA about the misleading nature of the campaign (which I am).

I also don't like the way they've hijacked the term "fair trade" - shoppers are confused enough without that sort of thing.

ETA I said that I liked the idea of encouraging people to buy British produce and think about production methods but that they should do that without the misleading bits.

I intend to reply with something very similar. Harpy let us know what reply you get!

I doubt if we'll get any sense out of them TBH, but if they get enough complaints, and know that the complainers are not easily fobbed off, they might take a bit of notice, you never know.

I can write a letter that will be published in the internal John Lewis/Waitrose magazine The Gazette, thats read by pretty much every member of staff.... an internal complaint might have an effect - theyre a very democratic company.

I will also raise the topic to my JL council representative.

Ah yes Helen, I remember you said you worked for the John Lewis partnership. They are pretty good to their employees so that may help. But spreading the word is also vital!

I am about to send them this:
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I was appalled to see that you are involved in the No Cows, No Countryside campaign. I am a Waitrose customer and regularly shop in my local branch in Portishead but I am seriously considering changing my shopping habits to avoid your stores.

I cannot believe that you support a campaign that sends such misleading message. I can suggest a different slogan: No Cows, Less greenhouse gases. I am sure you must be well aware that the FAO has reported that the livestock sector generates more greenhouse gas emissions as measured in CO2 equivalent – 18 percent – than transport. It is also a major source of land and water degradation. (http://www.fao.org/newsroom/en/news/2006/1000448/index.html)

I find it very disturbing that in this day and age a supermarket of your reputation has decided to get involved in a campaign that advocates global warming and animal exploitation.

If you could, please also send me a copy of the evidence that backs up your argument that if there were no cows, the countryside would disappear. So far logic leads me to believe that if the unnaturally high number of cows that inhabit the world to feed a few humans would disappear, we would all enjoy more forests, green areas and biodiversity would flourish since we would not need to cut trees and destroy natural habitats create pastures or to grow an enormous amount of crops to feed them.

Maybe you should have a look at these numbers: 70% of the land in the UK is used for agriculture, 66% of this is used as permanent pasture and a high proportion of the remainder is used to grow crops to feed livestock. In the US a typical cow will eat 2 tons of weight just to put 400 pounds in weight…Well, when you consider that about 826 million people are seriously undernourished (792 million in developing countries and 34 million in industrialised countries (www.fao.org/FOCUS/E?SO100)) and that perhaps access to food is a basic human right, some people would say that using arable land (here and especially in the developing world that we then import to feed our beloved cows) to grow feed grain for animals and only getting 25% of the calories back (as a best case scenario because yield can be as bad as 54:1) seems like a bit of a waste. If everyone in the world were to take 25% of their calories from animal protein, the world could only sustain 3 billion people… Even the European commission has admitted that “Europe is able to feed Europe’s people but not Europe’s animals”

I look forward to your reply but please do not send me the standard email reply as I have already read it and it does not properly address any of the points mentioned above.

ANy comments before I send it are welcomed

excellent manzana!

That is wikked! That will get them thinking....if they can't provide you with evidence, which they won't be able to, are you gonna write to the ASA?

That's a really good letter Manzana!

I don't know what anyone can possibly say back to that

Yes, very good, Manzana. I might steal your refs for my ASA complaint if I may!

Thanks everyone, glad it passed the test

It should be with them tomorrow morning

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    That is wikked! That will get them thinking....if they can't provide you with evidence, which they won't be able to, are you gonna write to the ASA?
    I will copy them into the email anyway

I copied the ASA on my e-mails, but unfortunately they won't act on that - you get an email back saying that you have to make a formal complaint if you don't get satisfaction from the advertiser. That doesn't look too difficult though and you can do it on the ASA website.

A friend of mine just sent them this:

Dear sirs

Can I say that I am both disappointed and appalled in equal measure
    concerning your current campaign entitled 'no cows = no countryside'.

You have set out the statement as though this were an irrefutable truth in
    the same way that '2 + 2 = 4'. The condition on the left of the equals 'no
    cows' clearly does not equate exactly to the factor on the right, 'no
    countryside'. This statement can be dismissed on the basis that, if nothing
    else, there is no empirical proof to substantiate it. I would suggest that
    if we stopped farming cows then we would still continue to grow crops and
    even in the eyes of Waitrose, countryside can still equal arable land?

It is upsetting that our nations farmers do face many issues in today's
    comeptitive market place - primarily arising from the way supermarkets treat
    them. However, issues such as GM crops, EU susbsidies, lack of governmental
    support, rising fuel prices and so on hang like the sword of damocles over
    our farmers futures and this is a sad state of affairs.

However, by falsely infecting our childrens minds with the notion that if
    they we don't farm cows then they will never see countryside again is a
    disgrace and should not escape the attention of the advertising agency. I
    am surprised they have let it go this far.

May I suggest you rename your campaign 'farming cows = unfair on cows' just
    as 'farming humans would equal unfair on humans'?

I look forward to your response and hope that you reply as soon as possible
    with the clear indication that this campaign has been immediately halted and
    a more sensible campaign to actually help our farmers and a more educated
    debate about whether farming animals is a denial of the right to life
    started.

I think it's a great letter

Quote harpy View Post
    Yes, very good, Manzana. I might steal your refs for my ASA complaint if I may!

Feel free Harpy Always great when we all help each other to veganise the world

Manzana - That letter your friend wrote is also awesome.

I got an email back from the ASA today and like Harpy they said I'd have to lodge an official complaint. Harpy do you have a link?

This is what my friend replied when he got the standard reply:

Dear sirs
    My complaint was not about sustainability and I am certain that what you have outlined is pushing in the right direction towards a more sustainable future for you & everyone. Nor for one moment do I believe we should neglect our nations farmers to whom we are hugley indebted.
    My complaint is about your misguided campaign that is feeding the market place with information that is absolutely irreconcilably untrue. The campaign 'no cows = no countryside' is a misnomer. There are young (and
    old) impressionable minds that will link the fact that their countryside is reliant upon the farming of cows and this is unconditionally false. Farming cows is cruel and the countryside would continue to operate if it were arable based only.
    If Sainsburys ran a campaign that said 'no sainsburys = not worth shopping anymore' you would complain. Unfortunately the cows do not have the same voice that your firm does.
    If you feel you are unable to respond then please pass this on to your senior management team to respond to. This campaign is wrong and there is no other word for it. Please can you respond to my compaint whcih is not one about sustainability or an attack on farmers - it is a compaint about the slogan which is offensive, incorrect and will effect people's ethical decision making capabilities.

Here's the ASA complaints page

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_com...mplaints_form/

Although the "your complaint" box looks small you have a fairly generous 800 words for your complaint.

My letter:

As a customer of the John Lewis partnership for many years I was both disturbed and saddened to see your name against the grossly misleading "No cows = No Countryside" campaign that I read about in Country Living magazine.

As someone who has lived in rural locations for most of my life I deeply understand the need to buy local produce and support your willingness to be involved in promoting the work of British farmers. However the statement put forth on the front of your campaign simply does not make logical sense and sounds like a pro dairy farming propaganda message.

As such I will be complaining to the ASA. My reasons for doing so are as follows:

29.78% of UK land is non farmed countryside. Using data from the National Office of Statistics dealing with land usage in the UK we can see that only 7.65% of land is settled. 45.96% is used by farmers for both crops and animals. Woodland (which once covered most of the country and vital for carbon dioxide reduction) accounts for 11.91%. Water 1.28% and transport infrastructure 3.42%. This means that 29.78% of the UK's land is countryside having nothing to do with farming and would not be impacted if there were to be no farming taking place in this country (which clearly is never going to happen whether there are cows or not, nor would I want it to).

Given mounting research (which I will gladly forward you links to if you dispute the fact) environmental groups and now the UK government themselves have publicly endorsed figures showing the undeniable link between the fuel consumption inefficiency of farming animals for food and growing crops for food. Using intensive farming (which does not promote countryside) a maximum of 25% return on protein eaten by animals as crops transferred through to meat can be reached. Through non intensive farming this figure is greatly reduced. It is clear that a requirement for less animal product consumption is needed, thus "no cows, no countryside" shows a lack of commitment to carbon footprint reduction in an age when most supermarkets are championing the concept.

The only argument in favour of "no cows, no countryside" that makes any sense is the fact that without cows (and consumers eating non animal based food) there would be less crops grown for animal feed. Clearly if this were to happen there would not suddenly be an explosion of land usage for non rural means (remembering that even a doubling of currently settled land would still account for less than 16%). It may free up more land for forestation - how the UK used to be before inefficient farming, absorbing more carbon dioxide.

I would appreciate comment on these matters. I have seen your standard reply to comments against this campaign and know that it does not address these figures properly. If you are unable to comment directly please forward it to someone in your organisation who can address it properly.

I like it

Drum roll please.........

Thank you for your e-mail.

The Fair Trade for British Farmers campaign, which bears the slogan "No
    Cows, No Countryside" is designed to raise public awareness of the
    link between the countryside and farming: with three-quarters of our
    landscape managed by farmers. We believe the future of the British
    Countryside is affected by the sustainability and vitality of the UK's farming
    sector.

This is a major concern as industry research has revealed the
    significant gap between attitudes to the countryside and support for farming:
    while some 90% of people believe that farming is important to Britain,
    only a quarter are prepared to actively support British farmers. Our aim
    is to highlight the importance of fair and sustainable relationships
    with farmers and retailers

Rest Assured that Waitrose takes the issue of climate change very
    seriously and we are working consistently to reduce the impact of our
    operations on the environment through a raft of initiatives.We are switching
    to renewable energy before the end of the year, reducing
    wastage, promoting recycling and aiming to buy British during the UK
    season.

In addition, we are working closely with the Government on Defra's
    Sustainable Farming and Food Strategy. However, we are never complacent and
    are always looking at how we can minimise our impact on the
    environment.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to clarify our position.

Regards,

So you got the same bog standard reply? Grr I'd complain about that aswell!!!

I already have

I just went for an ASA complaint, as you're all just getting the same standard reply from Waitrose. Anyone complained to NatMags about Country Living yet?

No? Country living promoting this too?

Yes, if you follow the link to the ad it says "Country Living...in association with Waitrose".

I haven't actually complained to the ASA yet because I haven't seen the ad anywhere other than on their website and it seems a bit of a stretch to complain about being offended by something you have to go to a website to see I'll go to Waitrose soon though.

well, I have complained and I have said that I saw it on their website... even if I have to go to their site to read it I don't think they should be sharing misleading information under their brand's name.

Have Waitrose got it on their website then? So far I've only seen it on that vegan campaigns one.

BlackCats

I sent Waitrose an e-mail last week - I haven't had a response as yet.

Not only is this campaign the big banner ad on the top of the Country Living website, the link through takes you through to a page with an articles suggesting that battery hens are happy. Grrr.

http://www.countryliving.co.uk/index.php/cat/17318

Susy Smith, Editor
    Claire Mitchell, Web Editor webeditor@countryliving.co.uk
    Kitty Corrigan, Deputy Editor
    Lisa Sykes, Features Editor
    Shona Crawford Poole, Food and Drink Editor

Liz Kershaw, Executive Group Publishing Director

For editorial and general queries email country.living@natmags.co.uk

Telephone: 020 7439 5000
    Fax: 020 7437 6886

The National Magazine Company
    National Magazine House,
    72 Broadwick Street.
    London W1F 9EP
    United Kingdom

Quote harpy View Post
    Have Waitrose got it on their website then? So far I've only seen it on that vegan campaigns one.
    No that I know of, but country living do and the waitrose name is there in the advert...

Can anybody help?:

Thank you for your recent complaint. Before we can consider this matter further, we need to see a copy of the ad that you refer to. Our Codes do not cover material on an advertiser’s own website and so we need to see a copy of the article as it appeared in the magazine. Could you please either scan and e-mail a copy to me, or post it to us at the following address:

Mid City Place
    71 High Holborn
    London
    WC1V 6QT

Aparently I need to reply before the 31st of July... has anyone seen this advert other than in a website? can anyone scan a copy and email it to me?