Thread: A Healthy Diet

Wink A Healthy Diet

Following is an extract from a UK 'Independent' article today.

A healthy diet is a proven factor in longevity. Half of all premature deaths - and a third of cancers - are diet-related, according to the World Health Organisation. Around 150,000 premature deaths from heart attack, stroke and cancer could be avoided every year if more Brits ate the Mediterranean diet (based on fruit, vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds), according to WHO estimates.

And it's not just what you eat, it's also how much. Experiments on mice have shown that halving food consumption slows down the ageing process. The California-based Calorie Restriction Society believes "ageing is a horror that has got to stop now" - in the words of its spokesman Michael Rae, who is 6ft tall and weighs just over eight stone. Even if you don't sign up to starving yourself into extreme old age, there's "substantial" evidence that obesity, which currently affects well over half of men and women in Britain, is a killer through its association with heart disease and diabetes.

Article at http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/hea...icle303186.ece
    Eve

Default Re: A Healthy Diet

thanx eve!

heres another one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4003063.stm

ive heard from more than this source that they believe humans could live to be 1000 years old. canadian researchers found this out and said they could do it but the government wont fund the research/project. (i will search for this link)
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

heres one similar to the one i read before:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/nati...ing050216.html

cross barer

Quote foxytina_69
    ive heard from more than this source that they believe humans could live to be 1000 years old.
    I've seen christian raw foodists who suggest that the 800-900 year lifespans of humans described in genesis is due to their raw food vegan diet. Burnt offerings are not described until exodus, the first biblical evidence of cooking food.

thats very interesting!

I agree! In addtion to my vegan diet. I add a green drink to my diet every morning. I started to listening to Tony Robbins who is a motivational speaker and he talks about the benefits of green drinks or superfoods. It is one of best things to ward off cancer and other diseases. It is also very high in antioxidants. It also has tons of greens I normally would not eat. I made sure the one I chose had no gluten, corn, dairy products, artificial coloring, artificial flavoring or artificial preservatives.

Maya

Wow - that's all so interesting! Imagine all the different ways the world would change if we could live to be 1000! Oh dear.

Roxy,
    I use to take care of a lady who was in here 90's and she had a sign by her front door that said purse, keys, and teeth. She did that so she would not forget these thing as she walked out the door. I dont know if I would like to be 100 years old. Who knows I may not be far off. I can never remember where I put my keys.

Maya

Quote Roxy
    Wow - that's all so interesting! Imagine all the different ways the world would change if we could live to be 1000! Oh dear.

well if they could "cure" old age, you apparently dont get forgetful and unindependant anymore

Colin Campbell arranged many experiments over many years, and his conclusion is that the big killer is animal protein. In fact he has shown that the more dairy products eaten, the higher the inevitable outcome of cancer and death. It certainly impelled him to change his diet and that of his family.
    Eve

Kevster

Shouldn't get this one:

'Officials renew warnings about listeria poisoning

James Meikle
    Saturday September 24, 2005
    The Guardian

A killer bug behind some of the worst food poisoning outbreaks of the 1980s is back with a vengeance. Forty-four per cent of those who get listeria die and officials are renewing warnings about diet and about cooking food thoroughly.
    Listeria was confirmed in 188 patients in England and Wales during the first eight months of the year, suggesting the figure will top 200 for the third year running. Bob Adak, of the Health Protection Agency, said: "A wide range of foods have previously been associated with transmission of the infection including meat-based pates, soft cheeses and butter."'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...577278,00.html

Just another great reason to GO VEGAN!

cross barer

I saw a doctor to have accupuncture today, and he asked how my overall health is.

I was explaining to him that while I am a bit overweight, I am extremely healthy as I don't smoke, drink, use drugs or eat meat. When I said the last one, he raised his eyebrows in surprise... as if he didn't expect somebody to include not eating meat when describing how healthy they are.

Incidentally, the accupuncture was good (for RSI) but now I have come down with the most terrible cold, or hayfever perhaps... and am so glad I wasn't like this when I saw the doc at lunchtime.

Hope you soon get over the cold/hayfever. No need to take anything special, just let it work its way out naturally - just that sometimes well-meaning people offer advice such as drink lemon juice, take vit C, etc. Good that the acupuncture did the right thing for the RSI, but could it have had a deleterious effect such as would cause the cold/hay fever? Get well soon!
    Eve

cross barer

Quote eve
    Hope you soon get over the cold/hayfever. No need to take anything special, just let it work its way out naturally - just that sometimes well-meaning people offer advice such as drink lemon juice, take vit C, etc. Good that the acupuncture did the right thing for the RSI, but could it have had a deleterious effect such as would cause the cold/hay fever? Get well soon!
    Thanks Eve.

I've had accupuncture plenty of times and it never made me sick before. Think it's the windy melbourne spring day.

When are you going to move up here? Summer is here as our temps are in the low 30s, and we appear to have missed out on Spring!
    Eve

Don't see how experiments on mice have any relevance to us. I believe it's usually accepted wisdom that it's healthier to be slightly overweight than underweight for humans, but even if not, imagine 100 years of living on such a restricted diet! I wouldn't say I live to eat, but I don't just eat to live either

Kevster

'Junked: Sales of fizzy drinks and unhealthy foods slump

By Martin Hickman, Consumer Affairs Correspondent
    Published: 03 March 2006

On the shop shelves, in canteens and, most importantly, in our homes, a quiet revolution is taking place. We are eating more healthily and starting to avoid foods that lead to obesity and illness.

The signs of a profound shift in our shopping and eating habits are growing apace. This week, evidence has abounded of a decisive move away from a fatty, sugary diet. The latest sales figures from a string of fast-food manufacturers reveal a dramatic slump. Britvic, the soft drinks company, lost £136m in share value yesterday, after acknowledging that the fizzy drink market was in clear decline. '

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/hea...icle348917.ece