Thread: Doctors & knowledge about (vegan) nutrition

Question Doctors & knowledge about (vegan) nutrition

I recently became a vegan, mainly for my close friends(the animals) and also because I want to be more healthier. I asked my doctor about it and he said that it is not healthy to become a vegan. I eat and drink as much protein and calcium and all other vitamins, but without animals. Are animals needed so much that if I do not eat them, I will become unhealthy later on?? OR is it the ignorant doctor who believes like many people in my country, that if you want to be strong and healthy, you must eat meat???

Default Re: Ignorant doctor?

Change your doctor, but make enquiries first. Of course I don't know which country you are living in, but hope you can change your doc without fuss.
    Eve

Cool Re: Ignorant doctor?

Actually I asked 2 doctors

Someone else on this forum (I forget who) said that their friend is a doctor, and when asked how many nutrition courses she had to take in med school, the answer was none! So it may be that the two doctors you spoke to were in fact ignorant about the true benefits of a vegan diet, having not had any real education about it. I think would talk to a qualified nutritionist before I'd ask a doctor.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

tails4wagging

I am so lucky my GP is a veggie!!!!. When I said I was vegan she never batted an eyelid!!.

tails4wagging

Quote Drias
    I recently became a vegan, mainly for my close friends(the animals) and also because I want to be more healthier. I asked my doctor about it and he said that it is not healthy to become a vegan. I eat and drink as much protein and calcium and all other vitamins, but without animals. Are animals needed so much that if I do not eat them, I will become unhealthy later on?? OR is it the ignorant doctor who believes like many people in my country, that if you want to be strong and healthy, you must eat meat???

Ask your doctor for a blood profile once it comes back with normal results (like mine) there is no arguments!!!

cross barer

I would ask a vegan.

The answer is no, and I've changed doctors before when they haven't been up to scratch. I once had a doctor misdiagnose a skin complaint (It was an allergic reaction... she thought it was a parasite!!!) and she told me to get rid of my cat!

I never went back. Doctors are humans too. They can be arrogant, selfish, greedy, stupid and most of all wrong.

Vegans are the authority on veganism, particularly some of the members here who have been vegan for decades.

My GP was also positive about my being a vegan, but I guess in Britain the idea is relatively familiar compared with some other countries. Hope you can find a better-informed one.

Gliondrach

Hello, Drias, and welcome.

That physician person is wrong. Veganism is completely healthy. Much more healthy than diets based on meat and milk. You're on the right path.

Regards,

Martin.

Hi Drias, I don't know which country you live in but here in the U.S. physicians take a minimum of one nutrition course (and only about 30% of the schools require that much) and don't even follow what they learn. My husband is a doctor, I am an advance practice nurse and we are both vegans. My family practitioner hasn't even batted an eye over our veganism. She actually has posters in her office describing different eating beliefs - one being veganism!

I have tremendous energy and my husband has dropped his cholesterol significantly since becoming vegan. We both get yearly check-ups and have not been deficient in any nutrients. There are some very good books concerning vegan nutrition that you may want to read (and then you'll know more about nutrition than most doctors).

Well here in Oz, nutrition plays absolutely no role in learning to become a doctor. Their comments often are no more than "eating all right?" and when the response is "yes" the doc says, "that's good!"

I strongly recommend a book that I'm reading right now by T Colin Campbell PhD called The China Study - Campbell's speciality was studying the origins of various types of cancer, heart disease etc, and the book is highly recommended by such as John Robbins (Diet for a new America), Neal Barnard, pres PCRM, and many more. When I next see my GP, I'll recommend it to him; my GP is pretty open-minded and he knows I'm vegan.
    Eve

Default Doctors & lack of knowledge about vegan nutrition

Hi Drias! Doctors are known for their ignorance re. nutrition - and in particular, their lack of knowledge about vegan nutrition. But have a look at this thread:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...ghlight=doctor

There are many doctors who are vegans, some of them have written books on vegan nutrition, some vegan doctors are also visiting this forum regularly. I have a friend who is a doctor who told me that not only does he and many of his colleges know very little about nutrition, but lack knowledge about many other things most people think they are well educated about as well.

You'll find lot's of info about nutrition on vegan websites. Just like people who are not vegans, we need to know a little about diet and nutrition to live a healthy life.

Here is a list of the most common questions new visitors ask:
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4217

Vitamin B12 needs special attention, as you'll find out if you look at our four (!) subforums about B12. It's easy to get low B12 levels whether you're a vegan or not ( http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196 ), but vegans who do not take supplements have lower B12 levels than meat eaters and lacto-vegetarians.

Disclaimer: if you are ill/suspect that you need medical treatment, it's better to get professional help from a good doctor than only to seek advice on internet.

In this poll we ask how the switch to a vegan diet has influenced peoples lives/health.

Here's a thread about vegan friendly doctors.

Good luck - and welcome!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Doctors & knowledge about (vegan) nutrition

Drias - I agree with the previous posts about switching doctors. I find it a little irritating that he would tell you that being a vegan is unhealthy. Did he have any information to back up that claim?

I don't think that it is necessary to have a vegan or vegetarian family doc, but I think that it helps to have a doctor who knows a bit about our diet.

I recently moved to a new area and lucked out when signing up for a new family doc.
    The first thing I said after shaking his hand and introducing myself was:
    "Just thought you should know I am a vegetarian."
    He shook my hand again and said "that is great, so am I."
    "Well actually I am a vegan" I responded
    "Even better"

It feels great to have a family doctor who is well educated on the benefits and potential pit falls of an entirely plant based diet. Hopefully you will be able to switch to a like minded, or at least more open minded, doctor.