Thread: Dangers of Soy Milk and so on...?

redem72

Unhappy Dangers of Soy Milk and so on...?

G'day I'm new to this forum game, so forgive me if I woffle on.

I've been vegan going on 7 years, my hubby has been one maybe 15 years and both our bin lids (3 yrs and 11 mths) are too. So vegans all round. I've a query or perhaps a concern that has been rattling around my head ever since the kids came along about the possible "dangers" of soy products, particularly soy milk on people who have had it from birth.

I have researched a little, particularly when I was weaning my first child off the boob, into the props and cons of infant soy formulas. I discovered a curious and frustrating thing. All the articles seemed bias toward a particular way of thinking. Those reports against the use, I later discovered were endorsed by or researched for certain national diary foundations. Those for, were just too hippy dippy about it and didn't give me a feeling of reassurance that we were doing the right thing for our kids.
    The danger word tended to be Phytoestrogens sp?
    Does anyone out there have any knowledge of independent research into soy milk or soy products in general and the long term effects Phytoestrogens can have on children who have consumed it from birth?

One article I read in The Age (Melbourne n.paper) suggested that there was a connection between the consumtion of soy products and males (in particular) possibly suffering fertility problems in adulthood.

It'd be great to hear/see anyone else's views on the subject.
    Cheers.

Default Re: Dangers of Soy Milk and so on...?

How about this report:
    http://www.idfa.org.uk/publications/...nfo.hp.doc.pdf

Seems to say that it is safe.

cross barer

I suppose if you've been vegan for 7 years you will have come across Dr Neal Barnards site already?
    Physicians committee for responsible medicine

Some stuff about phytoestrogens from his site:

Plant Compounds Combat Endometrial Cancer
    Consumption of phytoestrogens (weak estrogens found in plants) was associated with a reduced risk for endometrial cancer, as reported in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute. A case-control study compared 500 women aged 35 to 79 with endometrial cancer to 470 controls, looking at intakes of three classes of phytoestrogens: isoflavones, coumestans, and lignans. Women with the highest intakes of isoflavones and lignans had a 41 and 32 percent reduced risk, respectively. The highest risk for endometrial cancer was seen in obese women consuming the least amount of plant-derived phytoestrogens.
    This may explain why dairy companies are funding reports which are 'finding' that phytoestrogens are not as good for you as cows milk

Well I feel I am being safe drinking Organic Soya Milk a lot safer than drinking Dairy based milks I have been vegan for 14 or so years I feel fine
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

redem72

Smile Re: Dangers of Soy Milk and so on...?

Thankyou very much for the link (www.idfa.org etc). It's the sort of article I've been looking for, with the sort of facts I've been after. Sorted!
    Last edited by redem72; Aug 5th, 2005 at 11:19 AM. Reason: To be more specific...

Phytoeostrogens are chemicals in plants (such as soy) that are very similar to the female hormone, eostrogen. It is thought that, to some extent, these plant chemicals can affect the body in the same way as female eostrogen. Building on this, some sources (usually dairy pluggers, as you said) find that consuming a lot of these chemicals can cause problems in men, such as thyroid problems and fertility problems. However, it is also true that phytoeostrogens can be very good for our body, and dsome soya milk manufacturers actually use this as an advertising point.

When I first became Vegan this was a major issue for me, mainly because I believed I would live of soya products, lol. But I really found it hard to be conclusive either way. I think the only thing you can do is what feels right; I have not heard of anyone here be affected be too much soya.

If there is too much contradicting evidence i would just go with rice milk, the formulas are hard to come by some times but i havent seen anything about it being bad for you. besides call me a traiter but i like rice milk sooo much more than soy milk - i think i would even prefer coconut milk to soy

You should note though, that rice milk provides only carbohydrate, not protein or much calcium.
    Soy milk is a replacement for milk nutritionally (particularly if fortified), rice milk is more something to stick in tea or on cereal.

redem72

Thumbs up Re: Dangers of Soy Milk and so on...?

Thanx everyone for your imput so far.

My understanding is that Phytoestrogens are said to be very beneficial for adults, but it's still hazey how they affect those that have consumed it from birth i.e vegan children and the long term effects it could have, either positive or negative in their adulthood lives. It appears however, that the research into the negatives are inconclusive. I guess this is encouraging.
    Now that my kids are weaned, they are thriving on an infant soy formula I use.
    I lived in the U.K for 6 years and there they encourage chidren to remain on the formula until they are 5 yrs. Now that I'm back in Oz, they recommend that kids can move on to normal soy milk (provided it's with added calicum) at 2 yrs. Bit of a difference. I'm going with the British on this one. At least the formula is fortified with a fortress of protein, calcium and all the vits and minerals appropriate for children their ages, including the elusive B12.

Thanx again guys for your advice on this one.

Gliondrach

One more thing to consider: the Chinese and Japanese eat a lot of soya products. I'm sure their children must eat them, too. The Chinese, in particular are having difficulty with their fertility - they are just too fertile and have to restrict the number of babies that are born. No reduction in male fertility there.