Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Detox Thread

tails4wagging

Default Morgan Spurlocks wife written a detox diet

book. Following her husbands supersize me diet. She said on his third week his liver was like pate !!!!!.

She is a vegan so the book should be interesting?. The Book is called Detox Diet.

Default Re: Morgan Spurlocks wife written a detox diet

Thats pretty cool, as she was a vegan chef, but I can't help but think that she's just trying to cash in on the shows success.

ConsciousCuisine

Oh, so they are married now? Good for them

I wonder if the book will include/be full of meat and dairy

Shes a veganchef, so no, no eggs and dairy

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Glen
    Shes a veganchef, so no, no eggs and dairy
    One would think that was true, right? Sadly, it is not. She cooks with flesh and secretions.

I'll post links to threads here on veganforum in a bit that discuss this or you can search under "vegan chef". In addition, you could go to her website and check it out as well.

ConsciousCuisine

I stand corrected, unfortunately She said on Supersize Me that she was a vegan checf. That sucks

Zool

She uses an interesting play of words. She's vegan, and she's a chef. So she's always described as a vegan chef. I always think of Ben Kenobi when she describes herself as he once said, "So what I told you is true... from a certain point of view.

She should say, "I'm a chef who happens to be vegan and sometimes caters
    to vegan customers."

It was only very recently that I watched "Supersize Me." Am I the only one that found Morgan Spurlock to be incredibly irritating?

I heard about this book in an interview she gave to Satya magazine.

I was disappointed that a piece about her was not on the DVD version of SUPERSIZE ME as she said in the article.

Most bonus material on a DVD is usually cutting room garbage, but there is good stuff on SUPERSIZE ME.

I particularly like Spurlock interviewing Eric Schlosser ( author of FAST FOOD NATION )

Theres a whole supersize me thread HERE.

Default detox diet-basicly a vegan diet then?????

have been reading a detox book,28 days,sounds like a vegan diet to be honest,except no sugar,tea ext.

they are banging on about how healthy it is,when will people get it,we are healthy thats why!!!!!!!

Default Re: detox diet-basicly a vegan diet then?????

Carol Vorderman is a vegetarian (vegan maybe?) and her's is one of the bestselling detox books in the UK. It's sad to see meateaters feel so much better after a couple of weeks on this diet, and then celebrate with steak and chips. As if they're 'earnt it' somehow.

thats what i was thinking,its like i no this is really good for me,but nayway ill go back to eating shit!!!

prilly-pie

the vegan way of life is so good for me, that if i have a vegan sugary treat/dessert, i feel lethargic and low, but as soon a i regain back to normal eating (what would otherwise be a detox to any other way of life) i feel fab and feel great that i reward my body everyday, rather than just "2 days b4 my holiday so i can look great in that bikini".. if u see what i mean??!!woohoo to veganism

Default started my detox - what do you think?

breakfast- fruit/nuts(all organic)

snack-raw carrots,fruit,rice cakes.

lunch-lentils tofu brown rice.

dinner-salade,inc-rocket,watercress,tomatos,cucumber,advacado.
    with wheat free pasta/rice.

of course i will try other things but i think im doing ok,drinking lots to.

yogini

Default Re: started my detoox-what do you think?

of course i will try other things but i think im doing ok,drinking lots to.[/QUOTE]
    AS LONG AS ITS ONLY WATER YOUR DRINKING, IT SOUNDS GOOD!

ConsciousCuisine

Quote vegechic
    breakfast- fruit/nuts(all organic)

snack-raw carrots,fruit,rice cakes.

lunch-lentils tofu brown rice.

dinner-salade,inc-rocket,watercress,tomatos,cucumber,advacado.
    with wheat free pasta/rice.

of course i will try other things but i think im doing ok,drinking lots to.

How is this a "detox" and what are you "detoxing" from? That looks like what I may eat on a typical day when I'm too busy to eat more

why isnt it a detox????

usually i et more heavy foods,wheat,sugar,caffine,so in my opinion it is a detox,there are no toxins.
    it may look like what you eat every day as you eat healthily but i didnt so i plan to stick to this so it will be just 'healthy eating'.

well i kindof thought this didnt seem like a detox either when i first saw this. adding cooked food to your detox doesnt seem like youre helping your body to detox. what you ate seemed great, for everyday, but to detox i would prefer personally to eat just raw foods (purely organic to stray away from all chemicals, and pure filtered/spring/mineral water and as fresh food as possible to gain the most nutrients possible from the food) as theyre the easiest for your body to digest, giving it the time to actually detox itself rather than having to process the foods you ingest. lemon is also a great addition to your water to help cleanse your liver. and probably room tempurature water so your body doesnt have to work on warming it up.

cc, regarding detox, how long do you usually reccommend your clients to detox? i always would like to do one but never know how long to do it for. i mean, i know theres a variation. like a 7 day detox or a month long detox. im sure it varies depending on the person.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

i am eating all organic,lemon in water(filterd).
    and only cooked food is lentils,wheat free pasta.
    this is a small portion of diet the bulk is veg/fruit.

i dont like the idea of eating totally raw.

to be honest maybe this isnt a detox then but its healthy eating,but considering my diet wasnt brill its a detox for me i guess.

Default Detox-recipe please

I am looking into doing a detox plan... Can any one give me any suggestions? Like a recipe to follow or something along those lines...

Ileana

Default Re: Detox-recipe please

Hey Ileana!

I found this one to be pretty helpful...

fasting & detox

I hope it helps!

Please let me know how it goes or what else you've found to be useful!

Terra, thanks that article was really interesting. I've been toying with the idea of a fast for a while now, to clean up my head just as much (maybe even more so!) as cleaning my innards! I would really like to try a water only fast which was mentioned in the article, but it wasn't advised as much as the juice fast. Does anyone know if a water fast of maybe 3 or 4 days would harm me, would there be as much as a benefit of 3 to 4 days as opposed to a longer fast of 6 or 7 days? Has anyone here ever done a water only fast, and is it helpful?

Steph, I've certainly fasted for 4 days and another time for ten days. It's a good idea to have someone to keep in touch with, because after a couple of days you feel so good that you tend to ignore the plan of 4 days, and could continue for too long. Fasting to me is always a water fast - taking fruit juices isn't fasting at all, it is going on a juice regimen.

Veganful, I'm not really into 'detox' as we detox with our breaths, with evacuation, etc. If one eats a whole food plant based diet, there doesn't seem to be the need for a detox, though now it's the 'in' thing, with pharmacies having 'kits' ready. However, let me stress that I'm not a medico or an alternative type medico. Just my experience.
    Eve

Hey Steph!

I found the article while searching for a natural home-remedy for hay-fever allergies.

I've been thinking about trying a fast/detox ever since becoming vegan, so I may be doing one pretty soon...especially if my allergies get worse.

Let me know if you're going to go ahead with it....we can help eachother out...like Eve said; It's a good idea to have someone to keep in touch with while fasting.

The longest water (or well w/ Green Tea) fast I've ever done has been 81 hours which is a little over 3 days. You get a little lightheaded and dizzy at times and you tend to be really tired after a while because your body is basically running on empty, literally. Also come off of it slowly, I would suggest fruits and veggies or something of the like for a day or two because otherwise you might overload and your body also won't be adjusted back yet to solids. I've read places that fasting a day once a month is suppose to be good for you but that just could be those random trends that don't really have any scientifical research to back it up. Hope some of this information helped?
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Quote terra
    Hey Ileana!

I found this one to be pretty helpful...

fasting & detox

I hope it helps!

Please let me know how it goes or what else you've found to be useful!

Thanks Terra - that was a very informative website. I would love to try a fast sometime (or a juice regimen because I don't think I could last on water alone), but I'm afraid that I just wouldn't have the will-power to do it.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Roxy
    Thanks Terra - that was a very informative website. I would love to try a fast sometime (or a juice regimen because I don't think I could last on water alone), but I'm afraid that I just wouldn't have the will-power to do it.

Girl, you eat sooo little, a fast should be fairly easy for you

LOL - you really think that?

I think I eat a lot. And mostly the wrong foods. I am slowly training myself to eat a healthier diet.

When fasting - say a juice fast - is it wise to take time off work and other activities or is it quite easy to keep soldiering on?

Hey Roxy!

I don't have much knowledge with fasting, but I think how your body reacts to a fast will have a lot to do with your current eating habits, as well as your physical and mental abilities.

I also think preparing a few days ahead of time will help you cope with the change. Consuming a lot of raw fruit & veggies, tons of water and liquids right before the fast would be a good way to go.

You mentioned that you eat a lot and mostly the wrong kinds of food... (I get like that too ) But as long as you're getting on the right track and beginning a healthier diet, I think you should be fine.

You're vegan...so that's a great start!

As long as your job isn't too physically demanding, continuing on should be alright. I believe it's good to keep moving. But if you think this may be hard on your system, consider taking the first few days off until you feel comfortable.

As for not having the will-power to do it, just consider the good that it will be doing for your system and how much more revived you will feel afterwards.

Maybe it will be a good way to help you begin your healthier diet... almost like a fresh start!

As for me, I'm trying to prepare myself to start a juice regimen for next week.
    I am going to start with the juice because this is my first time. Water might be something that I will consider further down the road.

So Roxy...maybe we can be keep daily logs or something like that on what we do, what we consume and how it effects us so that other beginners can have something to go by!

Sorry for the looooong post...

But I do want to stress a few more things to anyone who is reading this -

I'm not an expert AT ALL and my suggestions are just an opinion.

Fasting isn't for everyone.

I'm not looking to lose weight, I just want to rid my body of the toxins that I have built up over the years of neglect.

Do your own research and find out what's good for you and your situation.

Please be wise about fasting and take everything about your body and mind into consideration.

Sorry everyone... I get scared sometimes that it can have an ill effect on someone. I would hate to hear of that...

Veganful, Steph & Roxy... let me know what you think or if you are planning to start. And if you have started, I would love to know how it's going!

Eve, Wishin or anyone else - do you have any tips for us beginners?

Again, sorry about the long post... It's my 4th post on veganforum and I got a bit excited!!

My dad just came off of a detox and raved about it. He just drank organic fruit juices for a week and then the next week only ate organic fruit. After that I think it opens up to eating anything organic. He said it made him feel incredible and was so happy he did it.

Lately I see to have been getting sick a lot and also having allergic reactions. In general, my body has seemed a bit... off. So starting tomorrow I'm going to give it a go. I just went out and bought a bunch of organic fruit juices that are not from concentrate and that have no added suger. We'll see how it goes!
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

On the Coast

For anybody ready to fast and wanting to really change things, there is a great 10 day fast, called the Master Cleanser, which is absolutely amazing. You have to do at least ten days, but can go as many more as you feel comfortable with (my Father holds the family record with 28 days, and my personal record is 16). Everyone in my family has done this fast, and I now do it at least once a year. My Father dropped hid blood pressure by almost 100 points, and I once lost 14 lbs. in 16 days.
    Anyhoo, this fast is not for the feint of heart, and is recomended for Toxemia and buildup in the liver, kidneys, and GI tract. It consists of a lemonade you make from whole lemons and/or limes, cayenne pepper, and whole grade molasses or maple syrup (molasses is recomended for diabetics). You can drink as much of the lemonade as you want, though there is a minimum requirement, and it is also recomended that you drink a mild laxative tea a couple of times a day. The catch is, that you ca'nt have anything else except water. That means no food, juice, cigarettes, alchohol, caffeine, etc. I recomend being close to a toilet the first few days also. If you make it, you will most likely want to go more than ten days, and it is absolutely amazing, the changes in your body, mind, spirit, and skin, after the 4th or 5th day.
    Highly recomended.

Gary Null's book "The Ultimate Lifetime Diet" is really a great place to start. It covers everything in there.

He is big on juicing greens, but warns to detox slowly. If you try to rid yourself of junk to quickly you will tax your organs.

So do your body a favor and take it easy.
    Remember, we didn't become toxic over night.

Best of health to ya!

There was a two-page article in the Australian Sunday Mail today on the detoxing of Morgan Spurlock - the "Super Size Me" guy. His wife Alex Jamieson, who is vegan, sorted him out after that horrible experience of eating Big Macs for 30 days, and Alex has written the book called "The Great American Detox Diet".
    Eve

Quote marika5
    It was only very recently that I watched "Supersize Me." Am I the only one that found Morgan Spurlock to be incredibly irritating?

Im glad you said "irritating" I thought you were gonna say something like "hot" or "delicious" lol... I was nervous for a minute there

Default Re: cleanse/detox

I was thinking of doing a detox... are taking pills or a drink (liquid) better

I saw some advertisement for "Dual Action Cleanser" on TV ...

I dont want to spend a lot of money but I want to do something that is good for me and my body and gets rid of all the yuckys

We're living in an environment that's full of chemicals, toxins and pesticides, and there's no way of avoiding contact with them. A lot of those chemicals are associated with specific illnesses, like cancer. For that reason alone, everyone needs to detox. Our bodies try to protect us from dangerous material by setting it aside, surrounding it with mucous or fat so it won't cause imbalance or trigger an immune reaction. (Your body stores foreign substances in its fatty deposits-a significant reason to keep your diet and body fat low. Some people carry around up to 15 extra pounds of mucous that harbors this waste!) Blah!

Quote eve
    I don't ever detox, my foods are good enough for me, and I can't see any reason for it.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Daily detox tea.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

LittleNellColumbia

Do you mean "fasting" as in not eating... so not eating for 22 or 10 days? is that possible??

I went to the veggie store today and there were tons detox products but I didnt know what to get.

if anyone could give me some good ones... then I'll be on the look out for them

LittleNellColumbia

seriously?? dont you get weak... is that healthy to fast that long???

Quote happycow
    I personally love to detox and to fast, if give my body a whole new awareness of taste, smell, etc. Also, as i am still exploring new foods, its a good way to get rid of some thing my body may not have agreed with.

The longest i have fasted was for 22 days, im going to do anouther fast tomorrow for 10 days, then one in the new year, but not for as long.

Im not sure if i do it properly, as far as supplements go etc. can anyone help me out please? I'd like to do a water fast
    Fasting can be done in a number of different ways. Water fasts I personally think are most beneficial bc I don't really feel like I'm fasting if I'm doing a juice, or if fruit or veggie raw one, apple, grape, soup, oatmeal, any other fasts like those although those are seasonal fasts that can be good.

I was reading what fasts are good for each season:

Fall: grape fasts
    Winter: soup
    Spring: apple
    Summer: fruits I think

Anyways sometimes I add green tea for metabolic reasons and slight energy, or depending on length if I have to maybe coffee for energy although I would rather not.

Vitamins wouldn't be a bad idea either so that you keep your nutrients up and decrease deficiencies.

Like I said I'm on a 11 day one till Thanksgiving Break when I go home - started 8:20 this morning. Good luck!
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

so basically ... you dont really eat food... you may drink them...

so no food just drinking liquids for a few days... is this a good way to loose a little weight.. and it flushes out stuff in your system too?

Doesn't make sense to me to fast completely. I have seen documentaries where peoples organs have begun to shut down - now that can't be good due to fasting. I think if your diet is rich in organic fruits and veg etc there should be no reason to fast/cleanse. Although I think some meateaters could probably do with it.

It would be dangerous to do this if you had health issues, pregnant or breastfeeding, low in iron, hypoglycemia plus heaps more. You would need to see a health professional before undertaking this I would imagine.

Our brains, hearts and other organs need constnat nutritian to function well.

LittleNellColumbia

I suppose it won't kill you if your in good health, but many people do have health issues and I think they should seek professional advice before doing this or it could be dangerous. I would especially be concerned re people who have had eating disorders as some on this forum have, undertaking a fast or detox without professional advice. I don't think our bodies were made to go without food for a month and I don't see many members of the animal kingdom fasting for long periods (not by choice anyway).

I don't want to sound rude, but 22 days of not eating does not sound healthy at all.
    Peace, love, and happiness.