Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Detox Thread

Default Re: cleanse/detox

so is there weight loss in this?

Yes but I think eating a healthy diet and exercising is a better way to lose weight, IMO.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

LittleNellColumbia

so all you drink is water, happycow? or do you drink some juice drink

or is there some supplement cleanser you take?

LittleNellColumbia

Wouldn't the weight just come back on when you start eating normally again and then make it harder to maintain healthy weight as your body would store fat due to starvation mode setting in ?(lot's written on this by dieticians and nutritionists).

LittleNellColumbia

yes your metabolism will crash. thats why you come out of long fasts slowly and easily so that you slowly get your body use to food again and work your metabolism back up. its not a good idea to come off of a fast eating all sorts of heavy food. just fruits and vegetables or even after a long one do a juice fast one day, then add raw fruits, then raw fruits and veggies etc. your metabolism should increase - they are quite elastic. fasts are meant to more cleanse anyways than be used as a weight loss tool. just a way to kind of cleanse and clear your mind and body.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

That makes sense. I think your stomach may shrink as well so it wouldn't need as much food. I's rather do it my way with constant healthy eating and exercise although hats off to you for being able to do it, you must have heaps of will power. I can't go more than a couple of hour without food or I feel dizzy and develop a migraine

LittleNellColumbia

I's probably faint with no food for even a whole day. I would just have to lie in bed for the week on a fast or something.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

LittleNellColumbia

Does anyone use any cleansing kits... would any of the kits at "whole Foods" (thats my veggie store) work ok?

LittleNellColumbia

Quote Tigerlily
    I don't want to sound rude, but 22 days of not eating does not sound healthy at all.
    Fasting is a load of BUNK! Our bodies do not need to be "detoxed"......

LittleNellColumbia

Quote Atticus
    Fasting is a load of BUNK! Our bodies do not need to be "detoxed"......

Im still not sure about fasting... but i know our bodies take in a lot of crap that we arent aware of...and detoxing sounds like a good idea...

i hate the thought of 10-15 lbs of poo harboring inside my body..just sitting there.YUCK

Tang, you always want to detox slowly. If you are toxic, (which most of us are) then you cant get rid of it all in a few days or even a month.

If you really want to cleanse follow a whole food diet, get a good quality juicer and drink a pure green juice a day (dilute with water) slowly working up to 6 a day. You can juice on Sunday, and freeze the rest and pull some out for each day. Make sure you add vitamin C powder to help stablize the juice before freezing. I listen to Gary Null online and that is what he recommends. He says your body should not attempt to detox quickly. It puts to much strain on your organs.
    Also, I suggest yogi detox tea. That stuff works great. I break out if I drink too much to soon. So be careful to follow the instructions and dont get crazy and drink 10 cups a day.

One more thing that my friends and I have had success with is a product called "Parastroy" it is a 3 week herbal cleanser for the intestines (kills yeast and parasites). Follow the instructions and clear all white stuff out of your diet and any sugar (including fruit) while on the cleanse. You can get it in most health food stores, I pick it up at the vitaminshoppe for about 16 dollars.

Best of Luck.

Ps.
    Take it easy. You deserve it!

Quote Cranberry
    Also, I suggest yogi detox tea. That stuff works great. I break out if I drink too much to soon. So be careful to follow the instructions and dont get crazy and drink 10 cups a day.
    I drink that tea sometimes!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Default Re: The Detox Thread

I am reading Dr Gillian McKeiths (You are what you eat) book at the moment.

She discusses detox and gives a variety of options, which I think is more sensible, and time frames.

Although I'm not that keen on her show, her book is pretty good.

She also advocates that anyone thinking of doing a detox seek medical assistance and not to undertake one if you have a medical condition, pregnant, breastfeeding, underweight or low in vitamins and minerals can be extemely dangerous.

I also like the liver cleansing diet by Sandra Cabot.

I think it's more important to have a lifestyle healthy eating regime ongoing.

Some people I know think that by detoxing now and again they can consume junk otherwise, which I find odd!

Quote Cranberry
    Tang, you always want to detox slowly. If you are toxic, (which most of us are) then you cant get rid of it all in a few days or even a month.

If you really want to cleanse follow a whole food diet, get a good quality juicer and drink a pure green juice a day (dilute with water) slowly working up to 6 a day. You can juice on Sunday, and freeze the rest and pull some out for each day. Make sure you add vitamin C powder to help stablize the juice before freezing. I listen to Gary Null online and that is what he recommends. He says your body should not attempt to detox quickly. It puts to much strain on your organs.

One more thing that my friends and I have had success with is a product called "Parastroy" it is a 3 week herbal cleanser for the intestines (kills yeast and parasites). Follow the instructions and clear all white stuff out of your diet and any sugar (including fruit) while on the cleanse. You can get it in most health food stores, I pick it up at the vitaminshoppe for about 16 dollars.

Best of Luck.

Ps.
    Take it easy. You deserve it!
    what do you mean by "green juice"

and the yogi tea can you get that at most health food stores?

You can pick up Yogi tea in just about any health food store and in some grocery stores in the health food section. Head on over to their website. I think you can get a few free samples.

Green juices = any dark leafy greens. This type of juice is very strong and cleanses, so dilute with water. Add an apple and some ginger for flavor. Get creative but make the greens a major part of your juice. You can add a tomato with cayenne pepper for a warming juice. I have been juicing for a while so I add some crazy not so tasty stuff, like garlic and onions and so far no problems with the vampires. LOL

I am providing you a link to Gary Null's free download archive. Try listening to the anti aging programs and "the seven steps". That may help you with some more detox ideas.
    Also, check out the library and do a search on juicing.
    Gary Null's Natural Living Website explores the nature and politics of medicine, health, nutrition and the environment. Homepage. The recipe section is good a ignore the 3 or so fish recipes, the rest are great for cleansing.

VoiceAmerica downloads

Gary Null Library

I picked up some Yogi Detox tea.. Peach Flavor today

and some Natures Secret - Ultimate Cleanse

Great, you didn't waste any time. LOL

Remember, take it easy and embrace your body during the process. Do something to help you relax. A nice hot epsom salt bath will help draw toxins out through your skin. Sprinkle in some essential oil and baking soda (helps the water stay alkaline) and kick back with some tea.

Keep us updated on your journey.

so i picked up some good stuff then? there were so many choices there i wasnt sure.

Yeah, Nature's Secret is the brand that makes Parastroy and Candida Cleanse.
    The stuff works well and it is not expensive. My friends love the brand too. I hope it works well for ya.

I want to get the Candida (sp?) one as well...cause I was reading up on that... and how it infects your intestines and whole body..YUCK!

If you get the Parastroy, it has ingredients that will kill candida along with parasites.

Just a thought.

Oh cool! That would be even better

So I know that myself and family NEED to do a cleanse. We have lots of pets, live in a pesticide laden area and had very bad eating habits before we went vegan.

I am sure we have parasites along with loads of mucus etc. But I am very lost in all this. I went to the website that CC posted and was overwhelmed. I just done have a clue where to start. I found this and wondered if anyone has any opinions on it for my cats and dogs mainly:

Paralixer 2Oz from King Bio Natural Medicines

Honestly it seems very expensive to get all the stuff we would need.

I will have to sit down one day and try to figure this all out. I really appreciate everyone's input so far, but would really like for CC to rejoin this thread. Any advice would be great.

I just went to the Whole Foods store (thats my veggie store... its a chain.. so you might have it too) and I got "Nature's Secret" they have several cleansings products... they are not very expensive... they seem to work out nicely

I need to add my 2 cents here. I don't believe in fasting or "detoxing" (unless it's a detox from drugs or alcohol) and will explain my reasons.

When you fast your body does not stop requiring protein. Your fat may be broken down into fuel but amino acids (the building blocks of protein) will come from the breakdown of muscle. That may be the muscle of your limbs, trunk or heart. This loss of muscle mass will result in a slowing of your metabolism. Therefore, unless you spend weeks to months regaining the muscle mass you lost on your fast, or you readjust your future caloric intake, you will most likely regain any weight you lost on the fast.

Regarding detox, if you are not eating toxic foods then I assume you are trying to get rid of the toxins in your fat stores. Your liver (and to some extent your kidneys and lungs) is the main detoxifying organ in your body. That is the #1 job of the liver. I would not think of stressing my liver by releasing the toxins in my fat stores in great amounts (ie, by fasting). Since you cannot pick which fat cells will shrink (the toxic fat cell vs. the healthy fat cell) and a zero % fat count = death, it appears that you cannot detox your body past a healthy fat ratio.

Please remember that your body does not stop requiring vitamins and minerals during a fast. What you are feeding yourself during a fast is your own "toxic" fat and your much needed muscle mass. Why anyone would want to do this to their body is beyond me.

I don't fast or "detox" but I do have a degree in biology, nursing and anesthesia. It is because of my knowledge of physiology that I feel compelled to give my opinion here. I hope that I haven't offended anyone. I am merely trying to add some balance to this discussion.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Dianecrna says, "I need to add my 2 cents here. I don't believe in fasting or "detoxing" (unless it's a detox from drugs or alcohol) and will explain my reasons."

Thanks Dianecrna, I agree with not fasting. I never understood it. Some people who fast for along period of time end up messing with their digestive tracks. I have heard many stories of people harming themselves because of a fast. I think if you want to go on a "juice fast" you can add protein powder and eat salads frequently. This way nothing slows down and you are still filling your body with amino acids and nutrients. It is more of a cleansing than a fast. I think green juices are great.

What do you think of "herbal colon/digestive cleansers". The herbs in most cleansers have been reported to kill excess yeast and parasites and have mild laxatives. Some also contain fiber. Any thoughts? Also, with all of this candida talk can you add any thoughts to that. Diet and treatment?

I will be more than happy to share my thoughts on this topic. Hopefully, it will save you money and discomfort.

About colon cleansing: I have seen the insides of my share of colons (there is a video screen in the procedure room) and have talked to a number of proctologists and colo-rectal surgeons. None of us understands the fascination with "colon cleansing." The body is amazing at cleansing itself and a healthy colon getting enough fruits and vegetables doesn't need any help.

The most diseased colon is "cleansed" equally by the laxatives we prescribe prior to colonoscopies. Getting stool out of the way lets us see the lining of the colon. What we don't see is evidence of excess yeast or parasites (good lord, if you have parasites in your colon you need to see a physician). If you are eating properly and not experiencing unusual stools then I don't see that there is a need for cleansing.

About mucus, I am confused as to what people truly think this is. There are certainly secretions that your intestinal tract releases in order to break down food but we don't refer to this as mucus.

If you have an overgrowth of candida in your digestive tract then you have an imbalance of the "good" bacteria which should reside there. This can be caused by many things (even things we have not yet identified, I'm sure). Taking antibiotics of any type will kill some of the intestinal bacteria. Theoretically, eating any food treated with antibiotics may have the same effect. The only way I know of rebuilding the bacterial growth is by eating cultured soy yogurt, taking probiotics and avoiding foods heavy with yeast.

Please keep in mind that when you take laxatives you are moving the food in your intestines along too fast for your body to absorb the nutrients.

Also, people who often "cleanse" their colons (especially by using high colonics) many times need to rely on pro-biotics and other flora replenishing products because flushing out the colon also flushes out the good bacteria needed for proper functioning.

There are some strong advocates of colon cleansing who would certainly disagree with me but I don't see where their information is based on known human physiology. If you haven's started cleansing and detoxing and fasting - why start?

Again, these are merely my opinions that are meant to give my views on the above topics. I am not looking to debate with anyone who has a strong belief in these practices but merely adding more information for those who are considering the pros and cons.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

"If you have an overgrowth of candida in your digestive tract then you have an imbalance of the "good" bacteria which should reside there. This can be caused by many things (even things we have not yet identified, I'm sure). Taking antibiotics of any type will kill some of the intestinal bacteria. Theoretically, eating any food treated with antibiotics may have the same effect. The only way I know of rebuilding the bacterial growth is by eating cultured soy yogurt, taking probiotics and avoiding foods heavy with yeast"

So instead of focusing on killing the yeast you just want to reestablish your gut flora by taking probiotics? What about all the books and sites that tell you no vinegar, mushrooms, no starches such as legumes and whole grains, sugar including fruit? Any thoughts? Do you think there is alot of myth when it comes to candida? By taking probiotics will this help the vagina as well or should you insert some in the vagina?
    Thanks for responding.

Yes, I think there is no need to kill yeast in your GI tract but rather reestablish the natural balance of bacteria. It may be possible that a more acidic environment could cause an overgrowth of yeast, hence the suggestion to stay away from vinegar. However, the intestinal tract changes in acidity/alkalinity from stomach to small intestine to large intestine in part based on the secretions the body makes on its own. Mushrooms have mold spores but I don't know if the are killed off by the acids in your stomach. Stay away from a vegan staple like legumes and whole grains? No way I would do that.

Some women have used cultured yogurt as a vaginal suppository but I don't know how effective this is. I don't know that diet has a tremendous impact on the vaginal tract. Keep in mind that if you are getting frequent vaginal yeast infections then you should also treat your partner for yeast as well. (Penises and mouths are sources of yeast. Some women get yeast infections from certain contraceptives. Insist on handwashing and possibly tooth brushing prior to sex. I know this doesn't sound sexy but neither does a yeast infection.)

I have never seen a case of "Candida infection" on a patient who did not have a compromised immune system. Of course, women get vaginal yeast infections for a myriad of reasons but there are treatments for this that don't involve drastically altering your diet. I personally think there is some industry that profits on myths about candida.

As a younger woman (even from a few years before I ever had sex) I had frequent yeast infections at times. I read whatever "Yeast Cure" book was popular in the 1980's and so did my friends who had yeast infections - nope, didn't help any of us. As I've gotten older I have had fewer yeast infections (actually I've had none for years). I don't know the reason for this but I have noticed that yeast infections are more common in younger women. Therefore, I give no credit to blaming diet for vaginal yeast infections in young women. And anyone with a recurring yeast infection of any type should see a physician as sometimes this is the first symptom of a compromised immune system.

I hope I answered all of your questions.

Thank you Dianecrna for sharing some of your knowledge with us. I have posted here with my view against detoxing etc, as I've always felt that if someone is following a vegan diet, why do they need to detox? Similarly with fasting. However, I go by a 'gut' feeling (if that word is acceptable in this context), and felt unable to answer whenever a naturopath gives all the reasons to detox. Detoxing has become quite popular down under, and perhaps elsewhere - practically every pharmacist has a window full of detox packs. I guess it's good business.

I do have a friend who has recently undergone surgery, and is having some sort of treatment that includes antibiotics. So he takes probiotics to counter the killing off of his 'good' bacteria. I don't comment because I don't have the knowledge, but simply keep my fingers crossed for him that the probiotics will do him no harm.

Thanks again.
    Eve

You're welcome Eve! Regarding your friend, probiotics consist of live bacteria known to inhabit the intestinal tract. Since they are taken orally, they only enter the intestinal tract and don't cause bacterial infection. Different antibiotics kill different types of bacteria, therefore good bacteria in the intestinal tract is at risk of dying during a course of antibiotics. If you get diarrhea during a course of antibiotics it is because some of the good bacteria has died and food passes through undigested. Many times the normal flora retains its balance, but probiotics can hopefully lessen the symptoms.

For the same reason described, some women will experience vaginal yeast infections during a course of antibiotic treatment. Probiotics would not work in this case.

Different brands of probiotics will offer differing numbers and types of bacteria, so it's not an exact science (sort of like medicine in general). Some manufacturer's advise storing probiotics in the refridgerator and avoiding extreme temperatures. Of course, this one makes little sense to me since our bodies are much warmer than a refridgerator - but, hey I'm just following the manufacturer's suggestion. Maybe it has something to do with the way the pills are formulated.

Thank God/ess.
    Someone with some medical knowledge. I don't mind doing a 'detox' without all the expensive herbs and colon cleansing products, which is basically a healthy eating plan combined with skin brushing, exercising and meditation ect. But fasting seems bazare to me. Surely our bodies were made to consume food on a regular basis in order to consume enough nutrients to supply vital organs. I think this big business concept of selling colon cleanisng products at expensive costs is outragous. And guess who it's praying on - women. Just look at those interested on this forum and what they all seem to have in common. There's nothing wrong with being healthy, but in order to do that you need to consume nutritious food and leave your colon's alone to do the job they were made for. I would strongly recommend anyone who's had an eating disorder or thinks they may have - don't do it!!!

Default Detox- do you do it? Why, when and what does it involve?

You ever done it and whats your story??

I've eaten loads of junk on the run recently and have been feeling quite revolting, so I'm trying one this week... I had just water Mon and Tue and i'm just eating raw fruit and veg for the rest of the week. I'm feeling a bit weak though? Will i get over that?
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 23rd, 2005 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Merged with existing detox thread.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

its cause you arent really eating anything...thats why you are weak..and just drinking water isnt enough...tsk

But i read in this book you should just drink water for the first few days... ???
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Pilaf

The only time I ever fasted for a lengthy period of time was to give me an idea of how people who are worse off in life don't always have plenty to eat. It was more of a spiritual/ethical journey. In hindsight, it may not have been the healthiest decision.

Default Re: Detox- do you do it? Why, when and what does it involve?

Quote catmogg

I've eaten loads of junk on the run recently and have been feeling quite revolting, so I'm trying one this week... I had just water Mon and Tue and i'm just eating raw fruit and veg for the rest of the week. I'm feeling a bit weak though? Will i get over that?
    Catmogg, it appears that this was merged with an existing thread. If you look further back from this post you will see the reasons why you are feeling ill.

Yeah, i fainted yesterday and felt like a complete pratt.

- Byron

For a lot of omnivores, the idea of a "detox" seems to be that they eat a relatively healthy (often more or less vegan) diet for a few days or weeks and then, when they start to feel better, go back to eating the same old rubbish they were having before. You'd think if the more-or-less vegan food makes them feel better they'd draw the logical conclusion and start having it all the time

Sorry, just having a vent.

Hope you feel better, now, catmogg - if not eat up your nice fruit and veg (and maybe some other stuff to ensure you get enough energy) and you soon will

Default Re: Detox- do you do it? Why, when and what does it involve?

Quote catmogg

I've had an eating disorder and studied nutrition and counselling.

A friend who had cancer tried to fight it with colon cleansing and detoxing and died. The Doctors said if she'd had more medical intervention she would have lived. Her body became weaker and weaker. So while I try to respect others views, I worry about poeple not consuming enough nutritious food.

Some on this forum do not consume enough calories for their bodies to function properly and that is a worry.

To function at your best you need to consume a variety of foods and protein and essential fats, especially to keep your inner organs healthy.

I think a detox is more about cutting out rubbish than just drinking water and then eating fruit, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion, Treehugga.

With the onslaught of detox books recently published and the HUGE industry building up around it, a word of caution and moderation is always appreciated.

sinister kungfu

I have yet to see any scientific/medical evidence that cleansing does anything beneficial at all. Seems like just another in a long line of dietary/health fads.

I think if you combine healthy eating, exercise and relaxation you can't go wrong. Our bodies are so good at cleansing themselves.