Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Occasional slips and ongoing food cravings

Quote Firestorm

I'm quite happy to admit that I am completely bonkers!
    Cheers to madness!
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Occasional slips and ongoing food cravings

My son (now 13) has eaten frozen (vegan) perogies.

I've only been vegan for about six months, and I can't seem to get over my craving for a broccoli cheese omelet :-( My friends go to diners all the time, and there really isn't a single vegan thing at the ones we go to except for the sweet potato fries, which I love, but I miss the omelets. Thinking about factory farm egg hens stacked on top of each other, in each other's crap, having their beaks cut half off. . .well that helps, but the craving just won't go away. As a lacto-ovo vegetarian I had omelets like three times a week for years before becoming vegan.

You can make pretty good vegan omlettes, I make them with tofu. Here's a recipe for one http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/09...e-for-one.html

It makes a great scrambled egg substitute as well.

(edit to add: this post is directed to the poster craving the omelets, I forgot to quote it and now I cant see your user name in edit mode sorry)

Last night I made a vegan macaroni and cheese (tofu nutritional yeast variety) as I have been craving good old fashioned mac and cheese for some reason. Normally I am repulsed by cheese. Why I was suddenly craving macaroni and cheese I don't know but I suspect it's because I haven't been getting enough calcium lately. I have been having leg cramps from running more and also had switched calcium supplements as the they stopped making the one I was using before and the new one didnt agree with me so I had to cut down to tolerate it until I found something new. I wonder if it was my body's way of telling me I needed something in my diet I was missing. I share this because I wonder if it is the same for you? Physical cravings usually go away after a few months of not having them but not always. They do tend to resurface or get worse if you aren't satisfying your hunger and enjoying foods in other ways. I see that happening for you when you go out with your friends to restaurants that have limited choices. I would get sick of eating one food all the time too. Aren't there other restaurant choices to try? Are you friends willing to try other places for your sake since you have accommodated them for so long? Chicago must have a good variety of vegan friendly restaurants? Maybe you could suggest some places for them to go next time with you?

Default Re: Cravings - Don't give in...

i've been vegan since may 22nd and my main struggle is with different dipping sauces and such for things like potatoes. to me, a good helping of diced potatoes with cooked onions, carrots, olive oil, and herbs deserves to have an extra compliment and i've yet to find it. o.0 in the past, i used to smother things in ranch dressing and now, even the little ranch packets have powdered butter milk in it. any suggestions?
    live in unconditional love and joy, share in compassion with others and the world around you, inspire your peers to reach their goals

Have you tried making your own ranch dressing? (http://www.food.com/recipe/best-vega...ressing-132916), or maybe you could use Vegan mayo instead of dressing?

- - - Updated - - -

There are also about 5 pages of dressings, spreads and sauces for sale on VeganEssentials: http://store.veganessentials.com/sau...preads-c2.aspx

thank you so much for the website, i'll deffinately look into that.
    live in unconditional love and joy, share in compassion with others and the world around you, inspire your peers to reach their goals

Lately I've been craving eggs. And I mean really craving them. It's almost like a pregnancy craving (and I'm definitely not pregnant!). It's very weird, as I hardly ever ate eggs even as an omni. They were never a favourite food. Why would I be getting these cravings? Is there some nutrient provided by eggs that my body wants, or something?

Quote peaceheart View Post
    Is there some nutrient provided by eggs that my body wants, or something?
    I think there is. Yes.

Long had a theory that if the body needs something it triggers craving to eat foods it 'knows' contains it.

Might be why vegans often report craving high fat foods like cheese and bacon when they are on a relatively low fat diet?
    All done in the best possible taste ...

I don't buy the I crave xxxxx so my body must by missing nutrient yyyyyy thing you see pop up once in a while. Maybe something triggered you (a smell, or a taste) that makes you crave eggs and since you are probably not eating anything that fulfills that craving it is more persistent than other cravings.

I never had it, but maybe black salt can give you a fix. It has sulfur in it like you find in eggs too.

Yes, I crave doughnuts and chips sometimes. Don't think it's because I'm deficient in anything. I've never had a craving for anything healthy. I try not to listen to my body it's an idiot.

Quote peaceheart
    Lately I've been craving eggs. And I mean really craving them. It's almost like a pregnancy craving (and I'm definitely not pregnant!). It's very weird, as I hardly ever ate eggs even as an omni. They were never a favourite food. Why would I be getting these cravings? Is there some nutrient provided by eggs that my body wants, or something?
    There are recipes floating around for vegan eggs. I haven't tried it but the Vegg is suposed to be a vegan egg yolk mixture. Coolcat is right about black salt, I bought it in an Indian market for less that €2 and it really goes a long way (very sulphourous!).
    Houmous atá ann!

Cravings can also be triggered by psychological associations, so maybe it's that? Much of our taste in food is linked to memory, association and nostalgia.
    Live and let live

Several years ago I was quite ill with an eating disorder and lived on a very small amount of calories for a long time. I had food hallucinations, where I could taste and smell foods I hadnt had in many years and had all but forgotten about. It was very real and frightening. I really do believe there are chemicals/hormones in the body at play with some food cravings, especially during pregancy or starvation. The occasional food craving though I dont know about. Maybe it is more psychological in those cases.

Quote Mymblesdaughter View Post
    Yes, I crave doughnuts and chips sometimes. Don't think it's because I'm deficient in anything. I've never had a craving for anything healthy. I try not to listen to my body it's an idiot.

Haha, thanks for making me laugh out loud!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

^ Me too!

Talking of occasional slips, I accidentally just eat a bunch of biscuits that some one brought into work before realising that of course they weren't vegan... urgh :/ I haven't had any cravings yet though...

Nikorusama

I just ate a bar that said it was dairy, gluten and wheat free (thought that it was vegan) then looked ar the ingredient and it has honey as the last ingredient i have 3 other bars at home as it was a multipack and dont want to waste them but i dont want to eat them as i feel guilty and it feels wrong now i have decided to be a vegan.

Give them away, someone will appreciate them.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Honey on toast

Quote prudence View Post
    Honey on toast
    Can you get vegan honey is Oz? It's a syrup usually made from carob and fruit, in UK/Ireland there's a brand called Sweet Freedom which is really good. If you can't get something like that then agave syrup, maple syrup or even golden syrup are also good.
    Houmous atá ann!