Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Occasional slips and ongoing food cravings

Default Re: Occasional slips and ongoing food cravings

I am vegan and wear my label proudly and try the best I can but non of us are perfect and we all contribute to suffering every day eg do you use paper - well you are contributing to the destruction of forests, causing animals habitats to be ruined and death due to the destruction. There are many other examples. No one can live and never cause any animal suffering. Banana be proud of how far you have come and in time the cravings will be a distant memory and if not just do the best you can Ps I know we have moved on from this topic, but wanted to support Banana even though it is down the track.
    Last edited by treehugga; Nov 1st, 2005 at 12:16 AM. Reason: info lapse

I've just merged the Vegan for Moral Reasons Only-thread with the thread about food cravings.

We're all against eating animal products. Just like people who move to a new country might miss food they used to eat at home, new vegans might miss food they used to eat before they became vegans. This doesn't mean that people who have been vegan for many years never will have cravings for animal food... I don't have these cravings, and don't know anyone who has, but we could have had a thread about cravings for animal foods in the main forums as well. I just don't know how widespread cravings for animal foods are among people who have been vegans for a while are.

We don't need two threads about food cravings, and we'll just merge threads/posts about cravings from the other subforums into this thread whenever they pop up.

Some non-vegans may not understand that eating animals, looking at meat that's being cut or eaten or even talking about eating animals is grossing out a number of people who don't eat meat.

I understand that some of you don't want talk about animal products in the main area, put please understand that we can't have a forum for vegans that doesn't allow looking at all sides of being vegan. This includes cravings for animal foods. There's no written rule that after ** months or years you'll never even crave animal foods anymore.

Some vegans and vegetarians go back to eating animal products. Nothing would be better than if we can help people who have decided to live on a plant based diet to keep doing what they have decided to do. So there will not be any censorship against talking about animal products here - from a vegan perspective. And as I wrote; we could have had a thread about this topic in the main area, but it's better to have it here: cravings for animal foods is most relevant for new vegans.

There was a guy once who should live with us for a week, which didn't really know us much well, and definitely didn't know much about vegetarianism or veganism. He then understood that we don't have, buy, prepare or offer any meals containing animal foods, and brought up the idea of bringing/preparing his own meat. I explained that I'm sure that he would have respected us if we were Hindus or Muslims, and not brought stiff into the house that Hindus or Muslims avoid. He look for a question mark for a while, but agreed and respected that while he's here, the best solution for him is to eat plant based food only. I think he thinks that we're a little strange (but really likes our food!).

He still looks a little bit like a question mark... I assume that he doesn't eat cats or dogs, so next time I see him, I'll ask him if he would be OK with someone preparing/eating cats/dogs in his kitchen, in front of himself and his family.

Since eating and talking about eating animals often is grossing out a number of vegans, it's better to have a craving-thread here than to have a separate thread about possible cravings for animal foods in the other subforums.

I have a feeling that lacto-vegetarians have more cravings for meat/fish etc. than people who don't eat animal products at all - and wonder about if they are lacto-veggies because they have cravings, or if it could be the other way round as well... any thoughts, anyone?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Korn I reckon that if a lacto veg gets a craving for meat it would be because they liked it before they were vegetarian. I didn't like red meat, so I never feel like it - I will admit to sometimes being tempted by salmon and various dairy products like yoghurt, chocolate cake and milk chocolate, because I previously liked these products. I think it has a lot to do with what you grew up eating and liking.

cross barer

As the title of the merged thread suggests I am vegan for ethical reasons only. Yeah I get meat cravings. There is nothing wrong with the taste of meat. When I was 20 a 'meal' was a rump steak, so much meat you didn't need to cook anything else.

I'll never not like the taste of meat, and I'll probably remember the taste and experience a craving just the same as I do with smoking a cigarette or drinking red wine. Doesn't mean I'm going to run out and do it. It is important to recognise that a craving is only that, and not a compulsion.

I found an old chocolate in a drawer and popped it in my mouth totally without thinking - phooey, puke, I never liked milk chocolate even when I wasn't a vegan. Can't stand the smell of it
    Someone was eating a mass produced Cadbury's cereal/chocolate bar today whilst sitting next to me at uni and drinking milky coffee - the smells made me feel incredibly nauseated. When you eat the occasional piece of Green and Black's quality chocolate the cheap stuff smells rancid and cloying.

I don't have cravings for red meat, chicken, pork, etc. though I occasionally get a craving for shellfish. I also don't crave eggs or milk, though sometimes I do crave cheese on a pizza or cream cheese in cheesecake. (I know some of you have found substitutes you find enjoyable, but I haven't liked any of the vegan cheese/cream cheese/sour cream that I've been able to find.) However, when I think of the act of giving in, I must admit that the true thought of it actually disintegrates the craving. That is, thinking of eating the shellfish makes me think of the animal's horrible death and the craving quickly goes away. Thinking of eating cheese or other dairy products reminds me of how yucky/nauseous I felt afterwards and also quickly dispenses with the craving. Maybe I'm just lucky that my mind works like that
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote Banana
    I didn't like red meat, so I never feel like it - I will admit to sometimes being tempted by salmon and various dairy products like yoghurt, chocolate cake and milk chocolate, because I previously liked these products. I think it has a lot to do with what you grew up eating and liking.
    I never liked red meat either, but I did like pork products. My family brought me up eating meat at almost every meal and most veggies cooked in animal fat, so I don't know how I grew up not really liking meat or the taste of meat. I gave them up first--even before becoming lacto-ovo vegetarian--because I learned about how intelligent and faithful pigs could be. Later I learned about how factory farming worked period and all I could think of when seeing meat was what the poor animal went through, so it was easy to give up meat.

I have been "bad" in slipping when I visit my parents and go out to eat though I won't eat meat, but I know some of the stuff I eat at restaurants has to have dairy or eggs in it (like I'm pretty sure most IHOP stuff--like pancakes--has one or both). I can usually tell because I don't feel very well afterwards. I'm trying to be more careful, but I know I need to ask the proprietors of small restaurants (like a Thai restaurant I like) if they have a truly vegan--which I know I'd have to explain--sauce and I need to look up chain restaurants on the internet to check ingredients.
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

it's funny, i was brought up loving meat and things and then suddenly i didn't like the taste anymore...it was the weirdest thing...it made going veggie and then vegan much easier and it's prolly y i was able to never slip
    Peace Love Surf.

i feel the same way as adam. im vegan for ethical reasons only. (with all the other benefits for everything else a great bonus!) i do get cravings for animal products sometimes (pretty rarely though), but i dont eat them because im vegan! i dont 'condemn' anyone for having cravings like that. i think its a normal human function to have cravings, and i guess if u liked the way animal products tasted before you would still have cravings for them as a vegan. for me, i just find alternatives. its harder when i cant eat gluten which is in all the meat replacements, but i just make them all at home that way i can always be vegan and never feel as if im 'missing' something.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote Banana
    Korn I reckon that if a lacto veg gets a craving for meat it would be because they liked it before they were vegetarian. I didn't like red meat, so I never feel like it - I will admit to sometimes being tempted by salmon and various dairy products like yoghurt, chocolate cake and milk chocolate, because I previously liked these products. I think it has a lot to do with what you grew up eating and liking.
    I agree with this... I was brought up eating meat, and dairy products, I drank dairy milk from the day I was born almost until very recently, I don't want to drink it anymore, but I didn't give it up because I didn't like the taste.

My intention is to be a vegan, obviously I don't feel that I can call myself a vegan yet, not because I'm eating anything that a vegan would not, but because I'm still trying to get to grips with it all, and not just with what I eat - as for cravings, yep, I guess I think of eating a bar dairy milk chocolate, why, because it's yummy, I won't eat it though, for obvious reasons.

Vegans Rock!

Yogini

Quote foxytina_69
    i feel the same way as adam. im vegan for ethical reasons only. (with all the other benefits for everything else a great bonus!) i do get cravings for animal products sometimes (pretty rarely though), but i dont eat them because im vegan! i dont 'condemn' anyone for having cravings like that. i think its a normal human function to have cravings,
    I didn't start this thread to say "look at me! Aren't I great?" But it's pretty easy to vegan if you're nauseated by animal foods. But if you still like them and would eat them if they weren't the product of animal suffering, but CHOOSE not to because it's morally wrong - hey that takes some willpower.

Love,
    Anna

Quote Yogini
    But if you still like them and would eat them if they weren't the product of animal suffering, but CHOOSE not to because it's morally wrong - hey that takes some willpower.

Love,
    Anna
    AMEN to THAT!

i just dont see eating animal products as an option anymore. i CANT eat them. theres no choice for me. it doesnt matter how much i would want to or thought it would be good, i just cant. although i do get nauseated by watching people prepare meat, or the stench of the cooking flesh :S it makes me feel sick. but sometimes when i see people eat certain things i do think it looks good. but thats about it.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote fragrantfree
    I agree with this... I was brought up eating meat, and dairy products, I drank dairy milk from the day I was born almost until very recently, I don't want to drink it anymore, but I didn't give it up because I didn't like the taste.

My intention is to be a vegan, obviously I don't feel that I can call myself a vegan yet, not because I'm eating anything that a vegan would not, but because I'm still trying to get to grips with it all, and not just with what I eat - as for cravings, yep, I guess I think of eating a bar dairy milk chocolate, why, because it's yummy, I won't eat it though, for obvious reasons.

Vegans Rock!
    Yes that!!!!! hit the nail on the head so to speak

FrekzRocker

I came into this forum looking for some new vegan supportage ... but MAN at the judgementalism!!!! I've loved this forum so far and thoroughly enjoyed communion with like-minds, but some of these comments are anything but LIKE-MINDED!! Flat out p'd me off to read some of the earlier comments directed at the initiator of this thread! I'm an aspiring vegan and I'm anything but perfect ... although now, I'm somewhat apprehensive to reveal that .... and I've come here for support - not harsh scorn and criticism because I'm not as good and 'pure' as some. Dang. I doubt now, that I'll recieve it here!! (Although, certainly, I hope I will)

I haven't had that experience on here and I'm not sure which comments you mean maybe they were further back.

Sometimes we may seem passionate and proud but that is because we often feel down about a lot of issues we face as vegans and so we like to celebrate the good times with each other. If that comes across as a bit pompous sounding - Oh well we're only people after all.

I think most people on here are fairly down to earth and many discuss problems and what they may consider personal failings, many times among the threads. I don't think anyone claims to be an expert vegan - we are all learning.

I hope your experience on here improves and you feel more supported in the future.

I think people write things sometimes not meaning to come off as rude although it may seem that way. But because it isn't a face to face conversation, it's hard to tell what emotion they could be portraying when they write.
    ▼Laurin▼

FrekzRocker

Quote treehugga

Sometimes we may seem passionate and proud but that is because we often feel down about a lot of issues we face as vegans and so we like to celebrate the good times with each other. If that comes across as a bit pompous sounding - Oh well we're only people after all.
    I certainly hope that's the case, all! I just despise seeing people being mean! Had to say my piece!

Freckles-I've read through lots of the forums and I have found on occasion, some more 'militant' comments being made that I don't agree with personally and I find a little close-minded, and yes it can be a turn-off. Of course, I've never said anything because I don't want to be criticized either, but there you go, I said it. In general though, I find the forum very helpful and supportive, after all I never knew another vegan before coming here!

As for the topic, I have no meat cravings, and the only things I really miss are weird ones like Cool Ranch chips or marzipan cake (I've been a vegan for years). The one thing I REALLY miss and have cravings for all the time is cigarettes! I quit smoking 5 years ago next month, and I've had more cravings in the past few months than in the 4 years previous, I guess it never goes away.

I almost slipped today. My mom was really trying to convince me that my grandma's homemade perogies that were in the freezer were probably vegan. To be fair there was no cottage cheese/cheddar cheese in them, just potato and onion but then I was unsure about the dough and if she put any margarine in them for some reason. So my mom explained that it was just a water/flour basic kinda dough and there was no milk or eggs in them. They looked so tasty and my grandmas perogies are THE BEST!! I was thiiiiis close to eating one when I saw a tub of Becel (totally NOT vegan) beside the stove and asked if she used that to grease up the frying pan and she did. She's flipped out and was all "I'm not used to having non-vegan stuff in the house!!" because we usually go shopping together and get everything vegan but my dad brought it home from one of his solo shopping trips. I sometimes think everyone is also waiting for me to say "oh eff being vegan" and just go back to being veggie with them but there is no way in heck I would do that. No matter how much I want some zesty cheese doritos, hawkins cheezies, cheese for pizza that melts and doesn't taste plastic'y! I can't justify what they do to cows just to feed my desire for cheese. Until then I'll just wait to win the lotto...My friend and I were joking that if either of us won the lottery we would open up a Scientists For Vegan Cheese lab until it had been replicated perfectly.

Quote Freckles
    I'm somewhat apprehensive to reveal that ....
    Don't be. Plenty of other people have been in the same boat or can understand it if they haven't. Being vegan is in many ways simply about being true to how you feel and doing what you believe and it can occasionally be hard because you sometimes feel you haven't got anyone you can share your doubts or difficulties with amongst vegans, veggies or meat-eaters. Many of us have been through that and can sympthasise. On the whole this board is very supportive. In the past, whenever anyone was having an off-day and jumped down someone's throat, someone else could be pretty much guaranteed to jump down theirs. How's that for a pefectly non-vegan analogy?

Cheers

Mike

tabitha

None of us are perfect are we. I hope I would never judge. God knows Ive made enough slip ups in the past. I hope I do my best.

FrekzRocker

Quote TofurkyZombie
    I almost slipped today. My mom was really trying to convince me that my grandma's homemade perogies that were in the freezer were probably vegan. To be fair there was no cottage cheese/cheddar cheese in them, just potato and onion but then I was unsure about the dough and if she put any margarine in them for some reason. So my mom explained that it was just a water/flour basic kinda dough and there was no milk or eggs in them. They looked so tasty and my grandmas perogies are THE BEST!! I was thiiiiis close to eating one when I saw a tub of Becel (totally NOT vegan) beside the stove and asked if she used that to grease up the frying pan and she did. She's flipped out and was all "I'm not used to having non-vegan stuff in the house!!" because we usually go shopping together and get everything vegan but my dad brought it home from one of his solo shopping trips. I sometimes think everyone is also waiting for me to say "oh eff being vegan" and just go back to being veggie with them but there is no way in heck I would do that. No matter how much I want some zesty cheese doritos, hawkins cheezies, cheese for pizza that melts and doesn't taste plastic'y! I can't justify what they do to cows just to feed my desire for cheese. Until then I'll just wait to win the lotto...My friend and I were joking that if either of us won the lottery we would open up a Scientists For Vegan Cheese lab until it had been replicated perfectly.
    LOL at the cheese lab. I applaud you for your steadfast vegan stubborness!! I wish I was that strong! I ate a peanut butter sandwich today with non-vegan bread ... I was sooo hungry!! I cannot WAIT til I go on my shopping trip this weekend and stock up on all my vegan snacks ... man! I try not to be too hard on myself since I'm still transitioning ...> but anyways, go you!!

Default Re: Why do I get put down???

Quote rainbow
    I also think that people are being way too harsh with Banana. One of the reasons why people use a forum like this is for mutual support. Going vegan is not an easy process and not everyone can become a total vegan overnight and stick to it for the rest of their lives. The 'all or nothing' mentality can easily push those who are wavering back to the 'nothing' side. If we can't support each other through difficult moments then what is the point?

Banana has also mentioned explicitly in many other threads that she is recovering from anorexia. Maybe if you have not experienced an eating disorder then you will not understand the significance of what she did, but having the courage to permit herself to eat a 'banned' food is important psychologically and shows that she is regaining control of her life, even if it amounts to a slip from veganism. As long as she calls herself a vegan, there are 'forbidden' foods, and this has parallels with dangerous anorexic traits. If making those foods available rather than forbidden is the safest way psychologically of addressing them then so be it. Making them available does not mean that she will start eating them all the time, it just means that she is making a positive choice to eat vegan food rather than a negative choice not to eat non-vegan food. Making positive food choices is a vital tool in fully recovering from an eating disorder. Maybe you can only appreciate that if you've been there, and believe me, it's a bad place to be, and makes Banana's choices look positively healthy and sane. I think this is more about attitude to food than attitude to veganism.

So come on guys, show a little bit more support. Is this forum exclusively for perfect vegans who effortlessly commit themselves 100%, or is it for all those who want to be vegan and are doing their best, even if they find it hard? If the former, then even though I personally am 100% vegan, this is not a place I would want to be. Be compassionate please, not 'holier than thou'.

I couldn't have said that better. Thank you Rainbow for supporting compassion for people who are making positive choices that are new and different to them.

Quote Freckles
    I came into this forum looking for some new vegan supportage ... but MAN at the judgementalism!!!! I've loved this forum so far and thoroughly enjoyed communion with like-minds, but some of these comments are anything but LIKE-MINDED!! Flat out p'd me off to read some of the earlier comments directed at the initiator of this thread! I'm an aspiring vegan and I'm anything but perfect ... although now, I'm somewhat apprehensive to reveal that .... and I've come here for support - not harsh scorn and criticism because I'm not as good and 'pure' as some. Dang. I doubt now, that I'll recieve it here!! (Although, certainly, I hope I will)
    I agree. I keep a lot of my personal struggles to myself because if I did post it, everyone would jump on my back and judge me.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily
    everyone would jump on my back and judge me.
    Not everyone, Lily I think most people here are supportive and those that aren't usually keep their thoughts to themselves.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote RedWellies
    Not everyone, Lily I think most people here are supportive and those that aren't usually keep their thoughts to themselves.
    I don't think so, just look what everyone did to Banana.

tabitha

Quote Tigerlily
    I agree Tigerlily. There are the odd few I wouldnt want to "open my heart" to

feral

I agree Tigerlily & Tabs, it's a shame really.

FrekzRocker

I don't think the more judgemental people should really have a place in a thread like this!! I mean - I totally agree with them that veganism is a practice, not just an ideal - and I think that simply supporting the vegan ideal doesn't make you a vegan.... the actions are what make the difference. However, we're all striving for the same thing!! We believe in the ideal and are making steps to achieve it - or else we wouldn't be asking for support in our weaker moments. So the 'you're NOT a vegan' flames are totally unwarranted when directed at someone asking for support. Perhaps this doesn't sound entirely coherent, but I hope I've gotten my message across ... if someone feels the need to post a harsh criticism in this thread, instead of an uplifting encouragement, I think it should be avoided. Veganism is about the animals and the practice - not egos!!

Blueshark

Yeah I agree, I really respect those who admit their failings, slip ups or just doubts.

Last year I ate a few milk chocs, before I finally purged my desire.

Damn, just walking through Antwerp, past those fresh waffle stands, makes me a bit weak, but hey, a bit of temptation never hurt anyone.

sugarmouse

Quote Tigerlily

i missed this.i had really only just become a member when i saw a bit ofa thread n gathered that banana had admitted to doing something non-vegan and was condemned for it but that is all i gathered was i right
    ?

It wasn't everyone, to be fair.

I think it depends what you post - if it upsets people then they may not react in a constructive manner.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote Rob(QG)
    It wasn't everyone, to be fair.

I think it depends what you post - if it upsets people then they may not react in a constructive manner.
    But that's the problem. You don't know what to post because you're afraid of backlash.

Blueshark

Yeah, I agree with you TL. I always think the truth is safe, but often it causes problems.

Seaside

To clarify a bit, this thread was created after the conflict by being split from another and renamed, not before, so the "judgemental people" were not participating in a thread designed to discuss what is now the title of this thread, namely giving in to cravings. The conflict wasn't just about giving in to cravings, either.

Judgementalism is a funny thing. It is mostly frowned upon, unless of course the judgemental carefully choose whom to judge. It is ok, for instance, to judge politicians, Nazis, celebrities, and basically anyone else more than one person just takes a whim to dislike. Is a person who judges that another person is being judgemental on a higher moral ground than those they find judgemental? I don't think so.

It is interesting to me that most here who have brought this up again are assuming that there was no apology or resolution to this misunderstanding, and aren't interested in entertaining the notion that some of the people involved may have felt sorry for what it turned into and realize their error. There is an apology thread to this somewhere, but I am not going to link to it. If anyone is really interested in understanding what went on, instead of judging it, and cherishing bad impressions of the people involved because that's more fun than forgiving and understanding, they may find it on their own.

My original purpose in challenging some of the thoughts I had read was to argue for the idea that veganism is not difficult or impossible. It went wrong, and though I have apologized elsewhere, I will say again here that I am sorry for what happened. What can be the purpose of others, who were not involved in the original conflict, in digging up this ugly old misunderstanding and scraping off the scab and rubbing salt into it, is not for me to say.

Quote Seaside
    To clarify a bit, this thread was created after the conflict by being split from another and renamed, not before, so the "judgemental people" were not participating in a thread designed to discuss what is now the title of this thread, namely giving in to cravings. The conflict wasn't just about giving in to cravings, either.

Judgementalism is a funny thing. It is mostly frowned upon, unless of course the judgemental carefully choose whom to judge. It is ok, for instance, to judge politicians, Nazis, celebrities, and basically anyone else more than one person just takes a whim to dislike. Is a person who judges that another person is being judgemental on a higher moral ground than those they find judgemental? I don't think so.

It is interesting to me that most here who have brought this up again are assuming that there was no apology or resolution to this misunderstanding, and aren't interested in entertaining the notion that some of the people involved may have felt sorry for what it turned into and realize their error. There is an apology thread to this somewhere, but I am not going to link to it. If anyone is really interested in understanding what went on, instead of judging it, and cherishing bad impressions of the people involved because that's more fun than forgiving and understanding, they may find it on their own.

My original purpose in challenging some of the thoughts I had read was to argue for the idea that veganism is not difficult or impossible. It went wrong, and though I have apologized elsewhere, I will say again here that I am sorry for what happened. What can be the purpose of others, who were not involved in the original conflict, in digging up this ugly old misunderstanding and scraping off the scab and rubbing salt into it, is not for me to say.
    I was basically talking general and using Banana's/Sticky Date's experience as an example.

Seaside

I know Tigerlily. I wasn't thinking of you when I wrote what I wrote.

Quote Seaside
    What can be the purpose of others, who were not involved in the original conflict, in digging up this ugly old misunderstanding and scraping off the scab and rubbing salt into it, is not for me to say.
    Yes, this has no purpose. Let's move on, everyone - this issue (or simple misunderstanding) was resolved long time ago. New members may not have known that, but now they do.

Don't go anywhere, Seaside!
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Quote kriz
    agreed- i wasn't around during the issue but i have seen you apologize about 500 times for it, in the 8 months i have been here.

Seaside

You must be psychic, kriz:
    Quote kriz
    Kriz, moie, thanks.

tabitha

I think if I do have slip ups I will tell people on the forum because I will feel bad for me, the animals, my principles etc., I wont feel bad because of what anyone else thinks of me.

feral

I think it serves as a good reminder that everything we type is open to interpretation by all who view it and that people should be really sure that they mean what they type.

sugarmouse

perhaps it was my fault it was brought up again then as i was the one to query what happened, i only 'half knew'
    i have slipped up before.i have done non vegan things from time to time.but it doenst make me feel bad just strive to be betterin the future.

Seaside, I didn't really want to post this here but I couldn't PM or email you. I hope you don't leave the forum. Regarding your earlier post on the thread...I haven't read it but maybe if you regret it and have apologised, you could delete or amend it? I don't know, but it would save this situation from happening again. Just a thought.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

tabitha

I had two sips of the wrong cup of tea this morning. Mine had alpro in and stevie, my son had cow juice. Jezus! it tasted like sick.!!

Quote tabitha
    I had two sips of the wrong cup of tea this morning. Mine had alpro in and stevie, my son had cow juice. Jezus! it tasted like sick.!!
    Yuk. I have done that once when i was talking to my boss at work about 5 years ago. I just picked his cup up without looking. Thankfully i drink black coffee and noticed straight away and didnt swollow and ran to the sink to spit it out Feeeewww.

Quote puffin
    Thankfully i drink black coffee and noticed straight away and didnt swollow and ran to the sink to spit it out Feeeewww.
    MMMMMM.. I love black coffee, no sugar. At home I use a little brown sugar and soy. At office people know that I am a vegan, so if they make tea or coffee for me, they don't add milk. Just black tea/coffee no sugar!
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Quote Kiran
    MMMMMM.. I love black coffee, no sugar. At home I use a little brown sugar and soy. At office people know that I am a vegan, so if they make tea or coffee for me, they don't add milk. Just black tea/coffee no sugar!
    Oh yes, sugar in coffee is not good.

You have just reminded me of the "dont put that milky spoon in my coffee" thing that i used to go through everytime someone new started at my old work place. I drink Peppermint tea now and make it myself so no more explaining

FrekzRocker

Quote Seaside
    I respectfully disagree with the last assertion. If a person conjects that another 'is' judgemental, and applies the verdict of judgementalism to the other's entire persona, then - the judgement of judgementalism is as judgemental as the judgementalism that warranted the original judgement. Of judgementalism. LMAO. Let me clarify - I think that if someone condemns another's actions as 'judgemental' , instead of the PERSON commiting the actions as judgemental, then the judgement may be on a 'higher moral ground' than the original action. Perhaps I've made the mistake of judging a person instead of an action. If so, I'm sorry! And I didn't mean any offense by 'picking at old scabs', if you will. So, sorry!! I'm a new vegan, however - and the messages I saw at the beggining of this forum offended me, because I can definately sympathize with the (presumed) initiator of this thread. But I never meant to cast judgement upon anyone! I simply wanted a supportive thread, and I wanted to avoid such 'judgemental' comments myself!

Quote Seaside
    It is interesting to me that most here who have brought this up again are assuming that there was no apology or resolution to this misunderstanding, and aren't interested in entertaining the notion that some of the people involved may have felt sorry for what it turned into and realize their error.
    Actually, I'm quite interested. That's a great relief.

Quote Seaside
    My original purpose in challenging some of the thoughts I had read was to argue for the idea that veganism is not difficult or impossible.
    Wonderful. I should hope that it is not an impossible ideal. It hasn't been too difficult for me thus far - but this is the first day of my first entirely vegan week!!! (I've brought some dried pineapple, dried apricots, bagel bites and dark, dairy-free chocolate to snack on between classes today) I hope you can kind of understand my perspective, and how I misunderstood the thread, seeing my situation. But I'm not one to delight in my own haughty judgements or to find 'fun' in assuming the worst in people, so I'm MORE than happy to let go of the initial insult I took upon reading this thread now that I know the whole story.