Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (1)

Default Re: Vegan Brighton

Quote Gorilla
    ah, i thought you meant they didn't have any vegan cake at all! the chocolatey ones tend to go first, not surprisingly...
    So that's who ate the choccy cake

i had my eye on the last piece of chocolate mocha cake in there the other day, but someone got there before me i had to settle for apple crumble cake with soya cream instead.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I want cake now

Aww sounds like you had a lot of fun!
    Hope you found everything fine.

I LOVE Food For Friends, its really vegan friendly and everything is yum.
    When I go to Infinity there is rarely a chocolate cake!
    I've had the carrot cake which was lush.

Don't forget Wai Kika Moo Kau for cake, they have a nice vegan fudge bar and often have one or two vegan sponge cakes too.
    Food for Friends is also worth a go for tea and cake in the afternoons - they usually have a good choc cake on the dessert menu.

Did you get to Mint yet Troutina? I was curious about whether they still catered for vegans so looked at the menu recently and couldn't see anything vegan but I didn't go in and ask. I imagine they have the same cake supplier as Wai Kika so may well have vegan cake.

Oh, and Paskins Town House is a good and vegan friendly b&b if anyone else is wondering about where to stay. It's on Charlotte Street, a road off Marine Parade (Kemptown area, past Palace Pier heading towards to Marina).

VeganLiz

My boyfriend and I went to Infinity Cafe this afternoon. We had gorgeous food but it wasn't cheap. We had the vegan special main course - some kind of veg and tofu tomato based food with some kind of gorgeous mash, fennel and some salad. He had a soy latte and I had vegan hot choccie. Then we shared a vegan cake which was cinnamon walnut and orange. Cost about £20 for both of us. The food was lovely and service friendly and have resolved to go there again more often.

Would love to get involved with the co-op that runs infinity foods shop and cafe. Does anyone know of anyone who has done this? Has it provided enough income and do they find it good working as a team?

Thanks

Liz X

Quote Marrers
    Don't forget Wai Kika Moo Kau for cake, they have a nice vegan fudge bar and often have one or two vegan sponge cakes too.
    Food for Friends is also worth a go for tea and cake in the afternoons - they usually have a good choc cake on the dessert menu.

Did you get to Mint yet Troutina? I was curious about whether they still catered for vegans so looked at the menu recently and couldn't see anything vegan but I didn't go in and ask. I imagine they have the same cake supplier as Wai Kika so may well have vegan cake.
    Ooh yeah I never think of going to Wai Kika.... for cake- I've only eaten there once, I must go back and take the other 'arf with me.

I haven't been to Mint yet- this thursday.
    I'm getting worried I wont find anything to eat now!
    She downloaded a pdf of the menu and saw a few items, so here's hoping!

Looks like you'll be okay, there is stuff to choose from but the range is a little disappointing in my view when you consider they used to be a veggie place. Strangely it appear the chips are vegetarian but not vegan!
    Let us know what you think of it.
    http://www.littlefish.ltd.uk/

according to that website, it seems it's been under new management since January 2006, it's had a complete redecoration and menu change since i last looked. glad to see they're actually offering vegan dishes on the menu, it looks a lot better than before.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Marrers
    They gave me milk in my coffee and non vegan cake last time I went in there and asked for vegan cake and black coffee. It was only when I'd eaten half of it that the horrible realisation started to dawn. I don't trust them any more and refuse to go in there!
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Marrers
    Looks like you'll be okay, there is stuff to choose from but the range is a little disappointing in my view when you consider they used to be a veggie place. Strangely it appear the chips are vegetarian but not vegan!
    Let us know what you think of it.
    http://www.littlefish.ltd.uk/
    Oh thanks very muchly!!
    That must be what she saw.
    Im glad there at least is something.
    Now I just have to stop being so damn fussy and pick something!!
    I'm sure it'll be fine.
    If not- it's a shame I don't drink; maybe I could have drunk til my tastebuds disappear!!

Quote Hemlock
    They gave me milk in my coffee and non vegan cake last time I went in there and asked for vegan cake and black coffee. It was only when I'd eaten half of it that the horrible realisation started to dawn.
    Do you know for sure the cake wasn't vegan? Did they admit a mistake? Their cakes are very good, I don't think you can tell the difference from a non-vegan cake.
    They often make errors with orders, whatever you have, and the service can be very slow. I actually tend to only have tea and cake there - I think the main vegan meals are very dull.

I just had the burger when I went there- boring, I know!

Went to the George today- lovely as usual!
    [Except for lipstick on my glass..but we'll forget about that...]
    I had Roasted vegetable and houmous baguette with chips and salad.
    With an orange juice it was £7.

Yummm.

i had one of the specials in the George on Monday - roasted vegetable and pesto pasta. i tend to go for the specials if there's one i like the sound of because they're usually good and you never know if you'll get the chance to have it again. they did have a cashew nut korma which sounded lovely but they'd run out by the time we ordered. i also had a side order of garlic bread with vegan cheese - it's so yummy.

also a quick reminder that Viva! members get a 25% discount on food in the George. it's saved me a fortune!

i don't really like the cakes in Waikikamookau, i had what was supposedly a choc fudge brownie and it just tasted of really sickly dates, not chocolatey at all. it's always packed when i fancy going in there and i agree that the vegan choice is quite poor.

They must have changed it then cos it's very chocolately now. I'd avoided it for a long time thinking it would be boring but once they had nothing else and I was very impressed with it actually. You should give it another try! (It's very portable because it's so solid , worth getting to take away and having for a treat at home if it's too busy to sit in!)
    It's chocolate with bits of biscuit and cherries in - solid but not a tooth-breaker!

i did buy some to take away, i ate it in the cinema (ooh naughty! ). it had bits of biscuit and cherry in like you described but i couldn't taste any chocolate. i found it far too sweet as it seemed to be almost all dates. maybe they have made it more chocolatey recently but kept the rest of the recipe the same.

Mmm I wish I'd had a look now!
    I had a look in Infinity today after lunch to get some takeaway cake.
    They had chocolate mocha and those flapjacks they regularly have.
    I just didnt fancy them though.
    I should kick myself for being so fussy- I'll miss this so much when I don't have vegan food to tap!

By the way, when i lived in Brighton, Redroaster on james st. had nice vegan cake and soya cappucinos (plus a good atmos). Love the george but last time i went, their once amazing nut burgers had shrunk! Or maybe i remembered them as being bigger. Ah life...

i went in Taj today and i have to say i'm warming to the place - if only for their range of vegan ice cream they had a couple of tubs of Soy Delicious - but only the vanilla, so i didn't buy any. that was the first time i'd seen any in there at all though.

however they had three varieties of Tofutti Cuties - strawberry, chocolate and cookies & cream - and some tubs of Tofutti chocolate cookies. they seem to have better stocks of Swedish Glace as they had the Mocha and Caramel flavours which are quite hard to find, even in Infinity or Holland & Barrett.

i also bought some Yaoh sun cream, and two new Redwood products - their chicken-style pieces and and vege-mince which will hopefully be good, and some vegan spring rolls. i found shopping in there a more enjoyable experience than usual and i'll probably go back again when i can afford to!

Quote Gorilla
    i went in Taj today and i have to say i'm warming to the place
    Their real strengths arte some of the amazing tinned stuff (not very econlogical I know) but some of the Indian stuff is amazing: I love Patra and Surti Papdi. The vegan Wonton Soup is also pretty good....

Cheers

Mike

which is Taj? I've forgotten

Supermarkety type place in Brighton!

Do they label vegan well?
    I think I'll pop in again soon- I've only been a couple of brief times.
    Now I've been paid I can't wait to raid Infinity!

Quote Michael Benis
    I love Patra and Surti Papdi.
    i have no idea what they are.

i haven't really looked at the tinned stuff they have in Taj but i'll probably check it out next time.

i don't know how much of their food is labelled as vegan, i've only really bought things i know are vegan in there so far in case i make a mistake reading the labels.

Jamie, Taj is in Western Road (the long road that heads west away from the shopping centre) opposite Waitrose. it's a bit of a long way from my house for buying frozen food but i think my ice-cream just about survived!

Quote Gorilla
    i have no idea what they are.
    Patra is patra leaves which are laid out and covered in a spicy tamarind and lentil paste. They are then rolled up into a kind of Swiss roll and steamed and shoved in tins. You buy the tin and open it, take out the Swiss roll, cut it into slices and fry. if you like you can spriknle a few sesame seeds on. Great stuff.

Surti Papdi is a curry with little papdi pods, potatoes and yams in it.

They also have some wonderful other curries in tins - but you do have to check the ingredients to make sure they are butter (ghee) and yoghurt-free. Identical tinned dishes by different companies may not both be vegan.

They also have some great wholemeal yoghurt/milk-free nan. Then there are the cassavas - which are great fried in big chips. Peel them, chip them (BIG chips), parboil them and then give them a quick fry. Great!

Better stop now, otherwise I won't get any work done....

Cheers

Mike

thanks for explaining those, Mike. i love Indian food but i must admit i'm not all that adventurous. those definitely sound like they're worth a try.

has anyone ever eaten in the Earth & Stars pub? they're an organic eco-friendly pub in North Laine and i've heard they do vegan food. i'm thinking of giving it a try next time i go out for a meal.

VeganLiz

Isn't there a vegan forum meet up in Brighton this month? Can anyone tell me when where it is?

Thanks

Liz X

Stu

It's on Sunday 30th, but I don't know exactly where it is. Here's the thread: http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...?t=8985&page=8

i had lunch in Waikikamookau yesterday, a very nice parsnip soup and the most garlicky garlic bread i've ever had. i also ordered a mango and passionfruit smoothie which i didn't realise had milk and yogurt in - it's not mentioned on the menu, so a warning to anyone that doesn't know. it was only because i asked for the vegan soup that the waitress realised i would want a vegan smoothie as well so pointed it out to me. they put soya milk in the vegan ones although they do charge an extra 50p for it. it was very nice though.

That new place 'Iydea' finally opens for lunch tomorrow.
    Sounds good - for a fixed price, depending on quantity, you pick which dishes you want from a deli-style counter. Should be fast as they load it on as you choose and you get to eat it straight away. Similar to what Food For Friends used to be years back.
    They will also be open for breakfast, not sure what time. It's on Kensington Gardens, just past Wai Kika Moo Kau on the opposite side.
    (What we need is more places open in the evenings though.)

Also, people might want to know that the Pound Shop next door to Taj is selling Nouvelle loo roll 4 packs for £1 each. (They have redesigned their packaging so must have offloaded all the old style ones.)

thanks for that Marrers, i hadn't heard much about that place before, will it be all veggie?

Yes, all veggie - but now you come to mention it I'm not sure how vegan it will be, I will have to pop in and ask. Let us know if you find anything out before I do.

Someone was telling me the Hop & Poles pub on Middle Street do a vegan Sunday roast. Has anyone been?
    Also there is a thai place on the same road that they said was very good (serves meat but can make any dish with tofu).

IndigoSea

Default UK Egg Replacers

Sorry if this has come up before

I'm from england but go to college in the US. I went vegan in America and had no problem finding vegan egg replacers (you can get the Enter-G egg replacer at any supermarket there, but it's not available in the UK) But now I've been in england and looking for an egg replacer for over a month, and I can find absolutly nothing. I know I can get it online but I have issues paying £5 shipping for a £2 product. I've looked in all the local healthfood shops and many of them have never even heard of egg replacers- of ANY brand.

Does anyone know of anywhere in Brighton, Hove or Worthing that stocks any kind of egg replacer? Or any brands of egg replacer? I know I can use tofu and flax, but I've never been pleased with the way they turn out. The kind I used was based on potato starch and several other things, but I can't even find potato starch!

paulvegan

Default Re: UK Egg Replacers

brirgton they have it in , infinity whole food shop

IndigoSea

I can't find anything on that place, where abouts is it?

paulvegan

from what i can remember its. on the same shelf as the jam's , behind the tea's, or just ask one of the workers.

IndigoSea

Quote paulvegan
    from what i can remember its. on the same shelf as the jam's , behind the tea's, or just ask one of the workers.
    Giggle ^-^

I meant where the shop itself is, but I think this http://www.infinityfoods.co.uk is the website? It has a map which I can follow prividing this is the right place. Thanks!

paulvegan

i thought it was strange that you wanted to know exacley where in the shop, me is thick.

25 North Rd,
    Brighton BN1 6DA
    Tel: 01273 603563
    Opening Hours:
    Mon - Sat
    9.30 am - 5.30 pm
    Fri 9.30 am - 6.00 pm Sun 11am - 4pm

You live in Brighton, you're vegan and you've never been in Infinity!?!

IndigoSea

Quote Troutina
    You live in Brighton, you're vegan and you've never been in Infinity!?!
    Damn straight :}

The reason would be that I only turned vegan two months ago, and was in America at the time ^-^ I've been looking for Infinity one and off but have been going to health shops closer to my home. I found it yesterday though! (thanks!) and had a yummy tofu snack, banana alpro, two boxes of egg replacers and some egg-free mayonaise. I made some vegan 'tater salad for a BBQ and no one could believe it was vegan!

IndigoSea

Quote paulvegan
    i thought it was strange that you wanted to know exacley where in the shop, me is thick.

25 North Rd,
    Brighton BN1 6DA
    Tel: 01273 603563
    Opening Hours:
    Mon - Sat
    9.30 am - 5.30 pm
    Fri 9.30 am - 6.00 pm Sun 11am - 4pm
    XD thanks. Actually when I went in I remembered where you said they were and found them right away! thanks ^^

glad you found it

i read that there's a new cafe in Brighton that does vegan food. it's apparently called Uddaganana the article said it's in Kensington Gardens and the menu includes fry-ups, tofu burgers, salads and smoothies. a lot of the food is organic and some of it comes from the owners' own
    allotment. sounds worth a look.

Ooh that sounds fabby!
    There looked like a couple of new places opening at the far end, not the Kensington Gardens cafe end, the other end?

paulvegan

Quote Gorilla
    glad you found it

i read that there's a new cafe in Brighton that does vegan food. it's apparently called Uddaganana the article said it's in Kensington Gardens and the menu includes fry-ups, tofu burgers, salads and smoothies. a lot of the food is organic and some of it comes from the owners' own
    allotment. sounds worth a look.
    marres was on about it the food is meant to be boring, i'm going to give it a go , if anyone wants to join me.

paulvegan

why does that keep happing to me.

I didn't try it myself, was just told by someone that it was a bit boring (bean stew and curry). Anyway if it'is cheap, wholesome and fast service even if the food isn't thrilling there will be times when it fits the bill! I'm definitely going to try it too but I'm not around and free til mid-late next week or the weekend.

Meanwhile I'm stretching my birthday to the maximum this week with some high end dining, got to make the most of any excuse to celebrate!
    I'm having dinner at Blanch House tomorrow night, at Terre a Terre on Friday and it's my party with an all vegan buffet on Saturday!

Obsessed with food? Me?? Okay, I admit it. But you have to work hard to keep a figure like this you know!

paulvegan

wasnt blaming you Marrers,
    rub it in with all this good food.
    have you sorted the dj out?

Not quite, I've sorted my playlist and sent it but he hasn't responded yet (*bites nail nervously*). I'm sure it will all come right in the end!

If you haven't tried Iydea by the time I am next down maybe we can check it out together, along with Gorilla and VeganLiz if they are about too. There is also that new place Gorilla was talking about (unless it turns out her source got the name wrong and it's the same one - location is very similar).

paulvegan

ther did seam to be two places near each other today i hardley go down ther, i go the back route,

one wasnt veggie, it had veggie food etched on the window.

But hasn't that one been there for a while? I will check it out when I'm on my birthday shop-a-thon tomorrow and Friday!