Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (1)

Default Vegan Brighton (1)

The last time i ate out i went to Trogs in Brighton www.trogsrestaurant.com

it's quite a small restaurant, very warm and atmospheric. the staff are really friendly and helpful.

they're totally veggie and about 50% of the menu was vegan or could be vegan on request. i had some sort of aubergine thing with pesto (can't remember what it was called but it was lovely), followed by brazil nut jambalaya - topped with chillis stuffed with vegan cream cheese for dessert, vegan fruit brulee and vegan Irish coffee - yes it is possible!

all this was washed down with copious amounts of organic vegan beer and cider.

highly recommended if you're ever in Brighton
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Default Planet India

last Friday i went to a new curry house in Preston Street, Brighton called Planet India. it's only been open a couple of weeks and i heard about it throught the local newspaper.

the food is totally veggie and most of it's vegan but you have to ask which dishes on the menu are vegan. it's a cheap and cheerful place, the decor's not exactly swish but it's nice, and the food is simple but lovely.

my boyfriend had a veggie korma, i had tarka dal, pilau rice each, onion bhajis and a bottle of beer each - it all came to £15 in total which is really cheap for round here especially!

the restaurant's quite small so they don't take bookings, you just have to turn up and hope there's room. but if you want simple, delicious, cheap food this is definitely the place to be.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

For my World Vegan Day celebration last night i went to the Bombay Aloo in Brighton. it's an Indian buffet all-you-can-eat restaurant. all the food is veggie, but not all vegan so you have to ask. it's usually just veg korma, yogurt, naan bread and onion bhajis that aren't vegan, and everything else is ok.

i piled my plate high with chick pea curry, bombay potato, tarka dal, pilau rice, poppadums and mango chutney. being curry you don't have much room for seconds anyway, but if you want to you can keep refilling your plate and stuff your face all night for £4.95. they serve vegan lager and if you want a pudding you can get a fruit salad for a couple of quid (they do rice pudding, but it's not vegan, which is a shame as i love Indian rice pudding).

it's a fairly small place, but very friendly and often busy. the food is simple, delicious and cheap, popular with students and it's the sort of place you wouldn't feel uncomfortable about eating on your own.

lucky gorilla has been out for dinner two days in a row

last night i went to The George in Trafalgar Street, Brighton - i believe Brighton's only completely veg*n pub and approved by The Vegetarian Society. it's usually pretty busy (even during the week) and as there was a group of us we had to wait around a while before there was a big enough table free. they have a nice patio/garden with more tables which is open during the day and evenings in summer i think. it can be quite noisy when it's busy so don't go expecting a quiet drink!

members of Viva! get 25% off food on production of their membership card
    i think members of the Vegetarian Society get 10% off food

there is a great selection of dishes, all veggie (any eggs used come from Hen Heaven) and i'd say at least half are vegan or can be made vegan. they have daily specials too. most meals are priced at about £5 each, and the portions are HUGE so make sure you work up a good appetite before you go

i had one of the specials last night which was a vegan cheese-ish pasta bake, with garlic bread and salad. it was gorgeous! other vegan meals on offer include bangers and mash, houmous baguette, and oriental vegetable wrap.

beware though - you might assume that being a completely veggie pub and being approved by the Vegetarian Society they only serve veg*n drinks - you'd be wrong they sell all the usual pub drinks including Guinness and other non-vegan beers...it seems the Veg Soc approval only extends to the food. they do have things like Becks and of course spirits and soft drinks, i don't know if their wine is vegan as i don't drink wine in pubs but the staff are pretty friendly so they should know if you ask. they also have soya milk for lattes etc. and they sell copies of books such as Vegetarian Britain, Veggie Guide to Brighton and the Animal Campaigners' Guidebook.

a good time was had by all

Default Vegan Brighton

Hello I know some people are from Brighton on here so I am wishing to pick your brains please for knowledge not food

Either December or Early 2005 I am coming to Brighton to do some work with one of our Fundraisers who live down their and I am curious to know of any good vegan/veggie friendly B&Bs works paying so don't worry about the cost and stuff.

Any website links to the places or contact details will be great......on the upside to this as well, work are paying for the train fair which means once I am done I am to veggie shoes for bit of shopping cool no P&P to pay and I get to try before I buy....
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Hi Snaff there aren't many veggie B&Bs in Brighton, a friend of mine has stayed in a couple, you could try

Sea Spray www.seaspraybrighton.co.uk

Paskins Town House www.paskins.co.uk they are approved by the Vegetarian Society

there is another one but i can't remember what it's called, my friend stayed there, i'll check it out and get back to you later

do you have the book Vegetarian Britain? i think it lists a few other places, i'll have a look later. you won't have a problem finding somewhere to eat in Brighton i can tell you that.

ok i have checked and the place my friend stayed in is called Rozanne Mendick. she said it was nice but it's quite a small place. the details are in Vegetarian Britain but if you don't have the book the phone number is 01273 556584 email r_mendick@yahoo.co.uk they don't seem to have a website. hopefully this info is still correct but a few things in Brighton have changed since the book was printed, for example it lists the Granville Hotel as having a veggie restaurant on the premises, the restaurant (Trogs - see my review in the eating out thread!) has since moved.

i know you said money's no object on this occasion but there is a hostel in Brighton that you might want to check out www.brightonbackpackers.com

Default Gorilla's continuing research into eating out!

Last night i went to the Little Buddha Thai restaurant in Brighton. i've been there before, it's a fairly small place but they do accept reservations. it's not usually too busy during the week, but it is quite popular with students as it's not too pricey and they let you bring your own booze with no corkage charge.

they do serve some meat but they can make any of the main meals with either tofu or mixed vegetables and they have a lot of veggie starters. the staff are very friendly and happy to answer any questions about the food. i had tempura vegetables followed by tofu in cashew nut sauce, with coconut rice and tofu rice noodles. other main meal sauces include ginger, garlic and pepper, chilli, and sweet and sour. they do a selection of desserts, only one is vegan though, royal banana with lychees - which i decided not to have because i'd eaten so much already!

Thumbs down Brighton Veggie Restaurant to Sell Meat

The Argus, 26th November 2004
    Top veggie restaurant puts meat on menu
    by Sam Thomson

A restaurant nominated as the vegetarian fast food outlet of the year is to start serving meat.

Wai Kika Moo Kau in Meeting House Lane, The Lanes, Brighton, is putting steaks, fish and lamb back on the menu because it is struggling to bring in enough vegetarian customers.

The news is a blow to Brighton and Hove's growing reputation as the venue of choice among non-meat eaters.

Last month the city beat off stiff competition from Edinburgh, Manchester and Glastonbury to be named the best UK destination for veggies in the Vegetarian Society Awards 2004.

At the same ceremony, Wai Kika Moo Kau was recognised as one of the country's top four veggie restaurants in the fast food category.

Owner Tim Cramp, 48, said the decision to drastically change the menu was hard but essential if the business was to carry on.

He said: "It was a very difficult decision as we have got some very loyal customers.

"But we were suffering so much during the week that I had to do it.

"In this particular location in The Lanes, we lose a lot of customers because we don't have anything they want. Some people will literally walk in, sit down then get up and leave as soon as they realise we only cater for vegetarians."

Putting meat on the menu earned the restaurant a slap on the wrist from the Vegetarian Society.

Spokeswoman Kerry Bennett said: "I am sure that Brighton's resident vegetarians will be very disappointed if Wai Kika Moo Kau includes meat on it's menu.

"It will also be a blow to the vegetarian visitors who visit Brighton as a result of Brighton's recent award as Best UK Destination for Vegetarians."

However, Mr Cramp owns another Wai Kika Moo Kau restaurant in Kensington Gardens, North Laines, Brighton, which is a favourite haunt for vegetarians. Mr Cramp said that venue would remain vegetarian only.

He said: "I bought the restaurants because I thought the concept of good quality, healthy vegetarian food was great and would be successful well into the future. Unfortunately it hasn't quite worked out that way."

The restaurant in The Lanes will shut for a few days next week before re-opening on December 3 as Mint Tree Cafe.

Philip Taylor, co-owner of Brighton's other famous vegetarian restaurant, Terre a Terre on East Street, said he had sympathy with Wai Kiki Moo Kau but had no plans to follow suit.

PinkFluffyCloud

How very sad.

Sell outs, guess the owners are on a band wagon for the money, that happened to a really good veggie cafe in From where I live, it sucked big time.

Many people wrote in to the local rag and complained, Although Somerset has lots of filthy farmers here we have lots of Veggie and Vegan Cafes and Animal Rights groups.....
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Hmm, there seem to be plenty of places in Brighton that are doing OK without serving meat - though someone said Trogs had closed, is that true does anyone know?

bad news

That is very bad news. I wonder if they tried introducing other different ideas before having to resort to serving dead bodies

Another one bites the dust.

Kevster

They sold a good cashew nut and ale pie there, which i am sure would have satisfied most meat eaters, still, just shows that what they want is meat and not necessarily good food,

Harpy, luckily Trogs did close but reopened in another part of Brighton. i went there for my birthday and it was lovely

I was gutted when Room 101 (a vegan café) closed in Brighton. Trouble was it was catering for people with loads of cash, so I couldn't afford to go in there that often, but it was fab, should have aimed it more at the average lower wage person though
    http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/

i never went to Room 101, i don't think it was open very long was it? perhaps if the food was expensive it didn't help that it was opposite the George, which is fairly cheap and well-established.

there was a letter in the local paper today which seems to confirm the ex-Wai Kika Moo Kau's owner's view that the lack of meat was putting people off eating in the place. the letter says:

"i have always thought it odd that i can take a vegetarian friend to almost any mainstream restaurant in Brighton and feel confident there will be at least one dish suitable for vegetarians but he or she cannot take me to a vegetarian restaurant because there is never a dish for meat or fish eaters. Consequently, as an omnivore, i have never crossed the thresholds of Terre a Terre, Food For Friends or Wai Kika Moo Kau.
    Congratulations are therefore due to Tim Cramp of the last-named restaurant for deciding to include meat and fish dishes at one of his establishments as reported.
    i cannot understand the concern of the Vegetarian Society as Mr Cramp has not said he will be removing vegetarian dishes from the menu. his renamed Mint Tree Cafe may well recruit me as a customer."

i had to laugh at this because it was just so stupid. he seems to be saying that because he's not a vegetarian, he *physically cannot* eat a meal that doesn't contain meat or fish. or of course that veggie food is so bad no omni would choose to eat it. how does he know if he's never tried?!!!

Quote Gorilla
    "i have always thought it odd that i can take a vegetarian friend to almost any mainstream restaurant in Brighton and feel confident there will be at least one dish suitable for vegetarians but he or she cannot take me to a vegetarian restaurant because there is never a dish for meat or fish eaters.
    1. Ooohhhh your lucky friend - being able to choose from 1 dish at a regular restaurant. That must make dining out just oh so fun!!

2. If it was to sell fish or meat then it WOULDN'T BE A VEGETARIAN RESTAURANT!

What a dickhead this person is!

i went past the newly refurbished Mint Tree Cafe today, and had a look at the menu. i thought i might check out their offerings, as apparently they still sell veggie meals, and i do eat in omni restaurants sometimes - if i trust them.

none of the food was marked as vegetarian except a veggie breakfast which wasn't vegan (contained eggs, which i don't think were marked free-range even). then i noticed they sell FOIE GRAS. i may eat in places that serve meat occasionally, but i'm afraid seeing that really put me off. there's definitely no way i'm going in there now.

as the owner said people used to go in, realise the place was vegetarian and walk out again without eating, i (very briefly!) considered going in there, sitting down, looking over the menu and saying very loudly, "OMG, this place sells MEAT!!!" before storming out LOL

today i went to the Kensington Cafe in Kensington Gardens, Brighton which does a wicked vegan breakfast baguette - £3.70 for baked beans, vegan bacon, mushrooms, vegan sausage and fried tomato, piled into a baguette and with a side salad. nice soyaccinos too. they do serve meat in there, but if you're ok with that, it rocks!

i don't think i've mentioned the Dumb Waiter in Sydney Street, Brighton either - they do a pretty good vegan breakfast too (also serve meat there though). haven't been there for a while but i seem to remember it having baked beans, veg sausage and LOADS of bubble and squeak!

That is very sad to hear Gorilla.

I hope more people turn and around and walk out, than when it was a nice place to eat.

tails4wagging

Gorilla that sound wonderful. How about us meeting there instead??. I can do tuesday morning?

Quote Gorilla
    i (very briefly!) considered going in there, sitting down, looking over the menu and saying very loudly, "OMG, this place sells MEAT!!!" before storming out LOL
    I was going to suggest that but you beat me to it. Do it do it.

recently i heard that Terre a Terre, Brighton's top gourmet restaurant, has a new head chef - who is a meat-eater. from the sound of his new menus, he's going down the route of replacing meat with cheese and eggs, bad news for vegans of course. Terre a Terre was always pretty good with about 50% of the menu being vegan. it's a very expensive place to eat though so i don't know if i'll ever be able to afford to check out the new offerings!

PinkFluffyCloud

I couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately, I am 30 miles away from the nearest Healthfood/Organics/Wholefood/Veggie type shop, so I use my local 'Tesco' for things I run short of. I HATE doing this.

I do patronise my local Vegan cafe when I am able to (cash dictates), and am very sad to see it struggling. Unfortunately the owner is trying to sell it, and has 'given up' on the social side of things. She is no longer interested in trying to 'gather' local Vegans together there. Her husband eats meat, too, that kind of pissed me off!

I shop regularly online with Veganstore, who are fantastic, delivery always prompt, etc. It does cost extra - i.e postage, but it makes me feel better, and saves me a 30 mile drive, doesn't it?

I hope to grow most of my own food when I move in 2005, and will (attempt to!) make everything from soap to bread to floor cleaner myself.
    I will still buy my 'treats' from Veganstore!

PinkFluffyCloud

By the way, I recently e-mailed Tesco re their buying of Pig flesh from a farm where undercover agents found evidence of terrible cruelty. I received a reply stating that Pigs are 'kept in farrowing crates, this protects the Piglets from being crushed.'
    So that's just fine, then.

IlFromaggio, i see where you're coming from. i almost never shop in supermarkets anymore. i use my nearest veggie wholefood shops as much as possible. it means going out of my way and paying a lot more for some things, but in the end the money is going to veggie business. not everyone is able to get to veggie shops though and supermarkets are perhaps their only viable option, so in this case it's good that supermarkets recognise the veg*n market and provide for us. not even all wholefood/organic shops are veggie-only anyway, e.g. Fresh & Wild, which in some places may be the only shop of this kind in the area. most organic veg-box delivery schemes also sell meat and/or dairy and yet i know a lot of vegans use these because they're a good idea.

if i eat out i usually go to veggie restaurants, but as most people i know are meat-eaters they don't want to go to veg-only places all the time. if a veggie restaurant is doing badly in Brighton, one of the most veg-friendly places in the UK, i doubt it's because veggies sometimes eat in omni restaurants. i think in this particular case the cafe isn't in a very prominent position and the food there was pretty over-priced (it still is, only now it's meat as well).

is there another thread about this on here? i'm pretty sure people have expressed their views on veggie-only businesses elsewhere on this forum, but can't find it right now.

i had a lovely meal on New Year's Day at Wai Kika Moo Kau (the one that's still veggie, if you have read my post on the subject!)

i had a mushroom and ale pie, lovely puff pastry and loads of gravy, with a side order of the best onion rings i have ever tasted - real slices of onion fried in vegan batter and served with vegan mayo (really greasy though!) followed by chocolate fudge cake mmmmmmmmmm

Default The Sanctuary Cafe

yesterday i had lunch in the Sanctuary Cafe, Brunswick St East, in Hove. i used to love this place when i was veggie and hadn't been for years, so hadn't been since becoming vegan. i thought i'd check it out again.

it's a veggie and fish cafe, quite trendy, "arty and eclectic" is how some people have described it. it was really busy but we managed to get a table and i ordered soup and bread of the day, which is always vegan, and yesterday it was winter carrot with multi-grain bread. to drink i had a vegan fruit smoothie. the menu is a little restricted for vegans but they always have vegan salads and pate. all their wine is vegan, they sell vegan lager and cider and they have soya milk for hot drinks.

it's not a cheap place to eat, but it has a nice atmosphere and the food is delicious. in the evenings they have music and poetry readings in The Cella, a "funky and intimate" venue. the local Green Party have public meetings there.

The Argus, 7th Jan 2005.

Couple cook up ideas for restaurant – Husband and wife take over leading city vegetarian venue, by Siobhan Ryan

One of the first vegetarian restaurants in Brighton is under new management. Ramin and Jane Mostowfi are busy settling into Food For Friends and have a lot of plans for its future.

Mr Mostowfi said, "We are keen on the idea of vegetarian and healthy organic eating and want to build on the reputation of Food For Friends."

The restaurant in The Lanes was founded in 1981 by Jerry Gray and Simon Hope and quickly established itself as a leading venue aimed at providing vegetarian food that was not "just a load of old lentils".

It has become a driving force in creative cookery and has three recipe books to its credit. The founders spent years searching for fresh influences from different countries and cultures.

In the last decade, they have taken on board a growing trend towards veganism.

Mr Hope said he and Mr Gray felt the time was right to sell. He said, "We were very sorry to go but increasing costs made things difficult and we felt it was time to move on. I am sure the new owners will do a great job."

Mr Hope has not entirely broken all ties with the restaurant as his new import company Food For Chefs will be supplying it with food.

This is Mr and Mrs Mostowfi’s first restaurant. Jane, 31, has worked in the catering and hospitality industry while her husband Ramin, 37, has been a management consultant. The couple, from Haywards Heath, have two children and are planning to move to Brighton. They have kept on the staff.

Mrs Mostowfi said, "There is a really good team here. This is an exciting time for us and we are looking forward to the future."

-------

Looks like Gorilla will have to pay them a visit.

Default Another visit to the Sanctuary

on Saturday i had a late lunch in the Sanctuary Cafe in Hove again. i'm really starting to love this place, which is not good for my bank balance (or my waistline!). this time i had a soya latte and one of the daily specials which was a spicy veggie burger and chunky potato wedges. they were serving it with sour cream for non-vegans and although i specifically asked for the vegan option, they came over to tell me they'd accidentally put sour cream on mine so i'd have to wait while they remade it. i didn't have to wait too long though and at least they realised what had happened before they brought it out.

when i eventually got my meal it was delicious. the burger wasn't too spicy, and came with slices of raw beetroot and avocado in a ciabatta bun. afterwards i decided to buy a piece of cake to takeaway, they have selections of cakes every day and a vegan apple cake had caught my eye when i asked for one piece of cake, the guy behing the counter said he'd give me a free slice because i'd had to wait for my meal so that made me very happy LOL

i hope he won't mind me posting this - on Friday Kevster was in Brighton with a very nice housemate and we sampled the delights of the Bombay Aloo all you can eat Indian vegetarian restaurant

lots of tarka daal, chickpea curry, saag aloo, pilau rice and poppadoms all round, followed by fruit salad, and all for £4.95 each

Unhappy Trogs is no more!!!

i found out today that Trogs, the Brighton veggie restaurant i mentioned earlier in this thread, has closed down i don't know when or why, but i was asked today by a friend if it had moved or closed because she couldn't find it. i said i didn't know and checked the internet - their website is still up and running, with no mention of it closing, but according to the local newspaper's website, it has closed within the last few months. i can't find any more details as yet

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

on Saturday i visited the Sussex town of Lewes, which is near Brighton, and had lunch at Seasons - a very sweet little veggie cafe. i'd never been before and had heard good things about it, but didn't know where it was. it's very easy to miss if you don't know where to look - it's in the basement of a building in the High Street.

it's a very cosy little place, not many tables but we managed to be seated even though it was busy. the staff are very friendly and the food's good value for money, the menu has a good number of vegan dishes. i had a homemade beanburger with loads of salad for £5, followed by an apple and apricot crumble with vegan vanilla ice cream for £1.80.

i found out yesterday that a local community centre has a vegetarian cafe. i'm going to go and check it out some time next week.

Default Brighton

My wife and I took a trip to Brighton for a couple of days.

Wow - I'm so jealous of vegans who live there. We have nothing like that around where we live.

We stayed at the Paskins, the room was fine, breakfast was wonderful.
    Went to Red Veg for lunch, and I had a chilli burger. Good, but could have been spicier.
    Bought some boots at Vegetarian Shoes. Compared to Cats and DMs the price is reasonable. Hope they last, though.
    Dinner at Terre a Terre. Not so good - hour to wait before appetiser and starter (which came together). Main course was really overpowered by herbs. Shame as the inventiveness and textures were great, and the non herb flavours were good. Wine was excellent (but we were mostly pissed by the time we got to eat.)
    Next day was lunch at Red Veg again - I had the VegeWurst with onions - absolutely superb. My wife had a hickory smoked burger with cheese (not vegan) and was impressed (she's a MCCrap fan ).

Could have done with longer there, so many places that do vegan options, and so many little shops to wander around.

Default Re: Vegan Brighton

Anyone know if there are any vegan or veggie cafes or restaurants in the Kemptown area of Brighton? (Or any omni places which cater well for us in that area?)

I heard Troggs had relocated there but can't find any trace and have had no reply to an email I sent them - anyone know anything?

Interested to read about Wai Kika Moo Cow changing to Mint Tree Cafe. when I was there last I just thought they had sold it. I find the North Laine branch has gone downhill in terms of vegan food (not even marked on the menu and I get told different things are suitable each visit) and many of the options are just so greasy and overcooked. I can't fault the vegan cakes, the best in Brighton in my view but I prefer to eat elsewhere for savoury food now (Infinity cafe or The George).

hi Marrers

unfortunately Trogs closed down a few months ago. it's a great shame because it was a lovely restaurant.

there aren't really any good veggie places in Kemptown that i know of, but Brighton city centre's fairly small and most places are within walking distance.

Quote Gorilla
    unfortunately Trogs closed down a few months ago. it's a great shame because it was a lovely restaurant.
    Oh bum! I was thinking of going there on my next trip to Brighton I went to Terre a Terre a few weeks ago and to be honest I think the food is not that brilliant for the money, and their vegan range is quite limited as is Food for Friends. Both could do with increasing their vegan options. I'll try the George next time and I believe they give a good discount for Viva members.

Brighton certainly is a haven for veggies and vegans. Where I live we had three veggie restaurants at one time now there are none. The healthfood shops only have a limited vegan range as well, so I pop over to Brighton to stock up at Infinity Foods.

Thanks Gorilla, I thought as much about Troggs - sad though.

I thought I'd heard there was somewhere new in Kemptown and it would just be nice to have somewhere close by when we are staying there, although I know Terre A Terre, Food For Friends etc are only a 10-15 minute walk away.
    I agree the vegan choice in both is not as good as it should be (nor as good as it used to be).

The George has a special Sunday lunch menu. I was there last Sunday and they do a vegan nut roast or a spinach and sweet potato strudel (which I had) both come with stuffing, roast potatoes, gravy, several nicely done side veg bits etc. Divine!

i've never actually been to Food For Friends because i've heard nothing but bad things about it. it's been under new management for a while though so i've been meaning to go in there some time. Terre a Terre is very expensive, and could definitely do with increasing their vegan menu.

The George's food is lovely, good vegan selection, and they give 25% discount to Viva! members.

I loved the old style Food For Friends where they had counter service - the whole menu (savoury and sweet) was different every day and there were usually at least two delicious vegan cakes on offer.

When it first changed hands I went and was not so impressed. I have been recently and the menu is different (not sure if it has changed hands again?) and enjoyed it better. The food was nicer and they have improved the decor and atmosphere. You should give it a go Gorilla.
    However since the changes the cakes aren't a patch on what they used to be, and chocolate cake (not light enough and with too little frosting IMO) is always the only option.

But I must admit I personally find it a little boring when any place has the same menu day in and day out, without any daily specials to liven things up - after a few visits I have had everything vegan on the menu so unless there is something I particularly like there isn't such a pull to go back there.

for my birthday last night i went to Terre a Terre www.terreaterre.co.uk and thought i'd share my experience. i'd only ever been there once before as it's not the kind of place most of us on a budget can visit very often

to start my boyfriend and i shared the Terre a Tapas, a huge plate filled with loads of small dishes. i have no idea what most of it was but it was all lovely it came with pesto bread which was amazing too! for my main course i had Tiffin Tandoori which was the only dedicated vegan meal on the menu - i was slightly disappointed at the lack of choice for vegans, but it was still really nice, although a bit spicy for me.

the puddings aren't great for vegans either, so we bought a box of vegan rum truffles between us. the meal was accompanied by a lovely vegan bordeaux. all in all a very luxurious occasion

Default Where to eat in Brighton?

I'm sure this must have been discussed before, but businesses close down all the time so...

I'm looking to get the train down to Brighton in a couple of week for some Vegan Shoe shopping, and would like to find somewhere good for lunch. Is there anywhere brightonians would recommend? If not, I might as well take a packed lunch.

Thanks. all.

Default Re: Where to eat in Brighton?

If you want fast food lunch, then Red Veg is brilliant.
    And it's right next to the Vegetarian shoes shop.
    You can also get smoothies and stuff on the same street.

That's all I know about Brighton, though. Gorilla or someone who lives there can fill you in on healthier options, maybe

No need to take a packed lunch! The George is a pub which does 100% veggie (and vegan) food, plus their vegan wines and beers are marked. They do a fantastic roast dinner on Sundays.
    Otherwise check out the menu in Infinity Cafe, Wai Kika Moo Kau and Red Veg to see what grabs you before you make your choice!
    They are all in easy reach of Vegetarian Shoes.

The George Pub - 5 Trafalgar Street
    Infinity Cafe - 50 Gardner Street
    Wai Kika Moo Kau - 11a Kensington Gardens (great vegan cakes!)
    Red Veg - Gardner Street
    Vegetarian Shoes - 12 Gardner Street

Thanks. Maybe I'll stay for dinner aswell!

Ah well, if you are doing dinner may I suggest Food For Friends or (although a bit more pricey it's an experience not to be missed) Terre a Terre!
    . . . most of the places I mentioned previously close (or stop serving food) by the evening.

http://www.foodforfriends.com/
    http://www.terreaterre.co.uk/_pages/...t/01_about.htm