Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (1)

Default Re: Vegan Brighton

Quote Marrers View Post
    ecoamimal - the pizzas have never had any fake cheese on it whenever I've bought it (nor when I've seen it I'm fairly sure).
    I thought it was strange having vegan cheese on the pizza as I'd not seen it before, but the label said vegan, I think Probably my mistake.

i went into Infinity once and they had a tray labelled as vegan pizza, but the pizza was covered in cheese. i asked if it was vegan cheese because they'd never put fake cheese on it before, and they said no, the tray had been labelled incorrectly and it was cow cheese i hope this doesn't happen regularly
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

That could explain it. I'm pretty sure the pizza said vegan. The day I was in they were getting new fridges installed and with all the new building work being done it was a bit chaotic, so perhaps someone mislabelled it in a hurry.

Landsdowne Health Food shop in Lewes is stocking Booja Booja chocolate ice cream.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Health food shops outside the city centre seem to be getting much better. I recently discovered Down to Earth on Portland Rd and although it is tiny they sell everything. I have Swedish Glace cornettos waiting to be eaten.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Landsdowne Health Food shop in Lewes is stocking Booja Booja chocolate ice cream.
    Oh my god that sounds like the best thing ever and not just in ice cream!!!
    I've been given a box of their truffles which were YUM, I bet their ice cream is cracking!

There's a thread about it here Troutina:- http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...t=14282&page=4
    As you will see there are mixed views!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    There's a thread about it here Troutina:- http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...t=14282&page=4
    As you will see there are mixed views!
    Thanks!
    Oh my, I want some noooow!!!

Quote Marrers View Post
    Me and H were there yesterday, though they closed at 5, so we went to Mays instead and bought a load of Tempeh and other lovely stuff!
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

i had a lovely vegan breakfast at Wai Kika Moo Kau last weekend. it's not cheap (about £6 i think) but it was really nicely cooked and slightly different to the usual fayre (the hash browns were fantastic). they had a croissant marked as 'vegan option' on the menu, but that turned out to be a misprint as they don't do vegan ones at all, so just a warning there (apparently whoever typed the menu thought a normal croissant would be vegan if you didn't spread it with butter - doh!)
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Had the same experience there about 3 years ago...
    Sainsbury's did once do a vegetable fat croissant which they assured me was vegan, but no longer offer it for some inexplicable reason. Now it's ALL about the ALL BUTTER.
    Dairy price-fixing anyone?
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

EllaGuru

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    Now it's ALL about the ALL BUTTER.
    Dairy price-fixing anyone?
    It seems they have to get rid of the stuff somewhere. I've had to put quite a few things back on the shelf recently that were once vegan because they are now NEW AND IMPROVED meaning they now contain dairy products. Very annoying.

just a word of warning to anyone who may have seen the milkshake shop Moo Juice in Ship Street, Brighton.

i went in there the other day and asked about the soya milkshakes they sell. apparently they use DAIRY ice cream even in the soya shakes, so these are NOT vegan. there's no indication of this on the menu as far as i could tell. it seems if you want an over-priced milkshake ShakeAway is still the way to go!

also, on an unrelated note, does anyone else think the new layout in Infinity is a complete waste of an opportunity to make the shop more pleasant to visit? they seem to have used the extra space to add a few new toiletries and the rest of the groceries are still all crammed into tiny narrow aisles with no room to browse or for people to pass each other. it seems to me they could've made such a better use of the extra floor space which is a real shame IMO.

We never go to Infinity Foods now as you need to take out a mortgage to do a decent shop there. I can get the same products (more or less) cheaper in Seaford. Brighton price mark up really makes me cross given the cost of living there is more or less the same as London yet the salaries are awful
    Silent but deadly :p

I find the new Infinity shop depressing somehow, I used to quite like shopping in there. I don't know what it is but somehow it just doesn't hit the mark.

Shakeaway now do a Dairy Free loyalty card (you used to have to pay the difference between the dairy and non-dairy to get your free shake) And whenever you buy a large shake you get 2 stamps.

i know what you mean Hemlock, but i don't find myself out Seaford way very often. Brighton's an expensive place - but London health food shops are MUCH worse, i've discovered recently.

thanks for the ShakeAway info Marrers, i can't remember where i read it but i think someone has posted that elsewhere on the forum. how many shakes do you need to buy to get a free one? i'm not sure i could afford to buy them all but it's worth bearing in mind!

i suppose it doesn't help that the front of Infinity is still all boarded up which makes it feel pretty dingy in there. i always used to find it cramped and stressful shopping in there and it hasn't improved at all - i hate having to squeeze past people all the time, constantly being in someone else's way if i stop to look at something for more than a second - i wonder if they even considered this in the redesign.

You have to get 10 stamps so that is 10 regular shakes or 5 big ones!

There used to be a Shakeaway thread, maybe someone (sensibly!) posted in that.

No............... I admit it was me.

I posted it in the news thread cause I thought it was news? - after posting it I spent the rest of the day wondering why I had bothered as to be honest it isnt really all that amazing.

Anyhow its here
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16842
    The day breaks and everything is new.

I tried some of the Infinity Pizza a couple of weeks back. Wow.

Me and Risker are heading down to Brighton today and we were wondering if anyone is around if they would like to meet up with us. Any offers?

i would've met up with you if i'd had some notice, i've only just read this.

It was a spur of the moment decision to go, we ended up not going in the end anyway

Quote Risker View Post
    It was a spur of the moment decision to go, we ended up not going in the end anyway
    Aha! I was just about to post the same thing as Gorilla.

fair enough.

by the way, the new veggie/vegan cafe that used to be City Bakery in North Street is opening tomorrow. i can't remember what it's going to be called, something about beans.

ooh even more choice for when I'm in Brighton!

Great news, it looked like it was almost ready when I went past earlier in the week! I hope the food is good.

BTW I was in The George for Sunday lunch last week. It was okay. But we did notice the Xmas menu had a few suspect dishes marked as vegan (eg the soup, which I think was parsnip and honey) I didn't have the energy to challenge them on it but if anyone else does let us know.

EllaGuru

Quote Gorilla View Post
    does anyone else think the new layout in Infinity is a complete waste of an opportunity to make the shop more pleasant to visit? they seem to have used the extra space to add a few new toiletries and the rest of the groceries are still all crammed into tiny narrow aisles with no room to browse or for people to pass each other. it seems to me they could've made such a better use of the extra floor space which is a real shame IMO.
    I agree. I've been in a couple of times since they expanded the shop and was disappointed as I thought they might increase their stock significantly but they don't seem to have done and it's still quite crammed especially over by the fridge and freezer area. Things are so expensive as well that I can't afford to shop there very often.

Beanstalks is the new name for the City Bakery.

Was in Brighton for a few days last week - had the most scrum-diddly-umptious meal at WKAMK - sweet potato burger thing with loads of sides, and a huge slab of vegan banana and walnut cake.

There's a trend for de-hippyfying the health food shops, isn't there? Harvest in Bath has also had a recent Infinity-style makeover. The woman on the till in Infinity told me they haven't completely finished the redesign, so it may be that the squeeze by the freezers is only temporary if they're getting new ones.

VeganLiz

My boyfriend and I went to Food for Friends last night. The food was fantastic. Leon had a butternut squash carrot and spicy soup to start and I had tofu pockets. Then we shared a Moroccan platter for 2 which had loads of lovely flavours. Then we shared the choclate hazlenut torte for dessert - all washed down with organic wine, fresh squeezed orange juice and water.
    I had to have a stiff drink when the bill came but it was all delicious and the service was fantastic.... We are planning to go back in a few weeks time for Leons birthday and have the christmas menu £21.95 for three courses....

Liz X

EllaGuru

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    There's a trend for de-hippyfying the health food shops, isn't there?
    I've noticed that too, the knit-your-own-yoghurt style seems to be going out of fashion That's good in as much as it will encourage non-hippies to shop in them but as an ageing hippy myself I prefer the old tie-dye lentil and brown rice feel to them

EllaGuru

Has anyone been to Wokmania? I was thinking of going soon and would like to know if there are enough vegan options to make it really worthwhile.

Not food related but has anyone been to the Burning the Clocks thingy? I was thinking of taking my little ones but it's the day they finish school so it would be a bit of a rush, and I'd hate to take them somewhere really packed if they couldn't see what was going on.
    It looks really lovely though, and it's on the Solstice (which I would much rather celebrate than christmas)
    here comes the sun

EllaGuru

I've been. It is well attended but people are good about letting little ones get to the front to get a good view. It's very pretty and worth going to

Quote EllaGuru View Post
    Has anyone been to Wokmania? I was thinking of going soon and would like to know if there are enough vegan options to make it really worthwhile.
    i have posted about Wokmania in this thread before: i went about a year ago and they had almost nothing vegan in the buffet (except plain rice and chips), but i asked the waiter and the chef made me something (veg stir-fry i think). they may have changed the buffet options recently, i don't know, but i thought it was quite expensive for very little choice.

Beanstalks is the new name for the City Bakery.
    Anyone had a chance to have a nosey yet?

no, but according to an email i got the other day, they're open until 10pm next week, and you can bring your own alcohol. apparently the owners are animal rights activists.

That's useful to know, thanks Gorilla.

Hey all you lovely vegan people in Brighton!

Now I've been to Brighton before but not since I've been vegan. I'm house sitting this weekend in Crawley and while I'm down that part of the world, I thought I'd take a day trip to Brighton.
    Where are the best places to go to lunch for a reasonable price and are there any interesting things to do this time of year? Also and a very important question is where can you park your car for the day for as low a price as possible.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

EllaGuru

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i have posted about Wokmania in this thread before: i went about a year ago and they had almost nothing vegan in the buffet (except plain rice and chips), but i asked the waiter and the chef made me something (veg stir-fry i think). they may have changed the buffet options recently, i don't know, but i thought it was quite expensive for very little choice.
    Thanks. I had my doubts about the place. In theory you'd think there would be loads of vegan options but you never can tell.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Where are the best places to go to lunch for a reasonable price and are there any interesting things to do this time of year? Also and a very important question is where can you park your car for the day for as low a price as possible.
    depends what you call reasonable - Brighton's about as expensive as London these days

there's Red Veg and Infinity Cafe in Gardner Street, Waikikamookau in Kensington Gardens... the Dumb Waiter and Kensington Cafe are omni places that do vegan breakfasts etc.

interesting things to do... hmmm it's a bit cold for the beach! there are loads of pubs and clubs, cool shops, there's a museum and theatre... what kind of thing do you like?

as for car parking - it's extortionate but there is one car park where i think you can park all day for £3, not surprisingly it fills up pretty quickly! it's off Trafalgar Street opposite the NCP. if you can't get in there i think Churchill Square car park is a bit cheaper than the NCPs (not entirely sure as i don't drive). traffic getting into Brighton is always horrible so be prepared to sit in a traffic jam!

EllaGuru

Quote Gorilla View Post
    ... i think Churchill Square car park is a bit cheaper than the NCPs (not entirely sure as i don't drive). traffic getting into Brighton is always horrible so be prepared to sit in a traffic jam!
    Yes, Churchill Square is cheaper. I rarely drive to Brighton as it's so expensive and difficult to park, I usually get the train.

Emzy - It might be worth parking the car a station or two away from Brighton where it would be free, or at least much cheaper, to park than in Brighton itself and get the train in. You can park more easily out of the city centre but you really have to know the place well for that and I don't know the outer areas of Brighton well enough to give details.

You could park near Preston Park and get the train or bus into town.

Beyond the Marina the parking zones end so it might be worth driving along the coast to that point, finding a space in a side road, then getting the bus down into town. Or walking and enjoying the sea view and sea air. It's not too far.

Otherwise there are parking bays on the sea beyond the pier (going towards the Marina) but I'm not sure how much they cost. Be careful not to park in a residents bay though, you'll get a fine.

In addition to the places Gorilla mentioned there is the new place Beanstalks on North Street, Iydea where you pick what you want from the counter is opp WaiKikaMooKau and also there's the eat as much as you like indian place Bombay Aloo.
    Infinity Cafe has good cakes and usually have quite a few. Iydea often have a divine choc orange cake.

Don't forget Montezumas chocolates has a shop here too and there are two nice erotic shops - She Said and Nua, and Taboo the fetish shop.

Quote Marrers View Post
    ...there are two nice erotic shops - She Said and Nua, and Taboo the fetish shop.
    haha, now why didn't i think of that?!

i think it was Nua that i decided i wouldn't visit because they were selling snakeskin whips. but then i suppose most sex shops sell leather anyway.

Ah... Taboo!!!

We got left in there once to have a look around while the owners went upstairs!
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

Good sperm

I can vouch for SheSaid...vinyl paddles! At last!

Thanks guys! Well I'm comming from Crawely so is there a good train link from there? That might save me abit of dosh I spose.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

there's a direct train from Three Bridges if you can park near there, or go there from Crawley station and change trains.

Went from Three Bridges cuz the house is just around the corner. I soooooooo wanna live in Brighton OMG! You guys are like the luckiest people alive I swear.

So what did you get up to? Any reviews?