Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (1)

Default Re: Vegan Brighton

Well it was cold, wet and windy so not alot of outdoor stuff really. Took a short walk along the beach and to the end of the peir then headed into town. Looked in some alternative clothing shops and brought some new stretching kits for me and my mrs. (flesh tunnels) Walked about abit and then stumbled onto the George. Was very friendly in there but they did bring the meal out veggie instead of vegan the first time around. Luckily my gf is still a veg and tried it and said no its definately veggie. So we sent it back and it came back vegan in like 5minutes. It was sooooo scrummy too...had the fajhita platter thing with two pints of beer each and a bannana split. I'd give it a 8/10.
    Stumbled upon infinity aswell and brought some cake from there. I had chocolate gateau and Emily had bannana and chocolate cake. We ate that when we got home but her cake was far superior to mine in every way.

Also had a look in tickled....but that was damn expensive so didn't really bother. Just had a great day "mooching" as we would say and having fun. Came back drenched but stuffed out of our eyeballs!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

at the George. It would be a great place if they could get things right and improve the attitude to customers.

I'm not much of a fan of Tickled for some reason which is why it wasn't on my list! Glad you enjoyed the cake though, and the mooching.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I had chocolate gateau and Emily had bannana and chocolate cake. We ate that when we got home but her cake was far superior to mine in every way.
    I LOVE the Infinity banana and chocolate cake, it's probably the best vegan cake I've ever tasted. I keep meaning to ask them for the recipe, I hope it's not a trade secret. They do a really delicious berry tofu cheesecake too but I haven't seen that for a while. When I visit I always buy a couple of slices of cake to take away, quite expensive, but worth it.

Banana and chocolate is good but the lemon and poppy seed cake tops it in my opinion. And the mocha cake is pretty awesome.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Ooh yes, the lemon and poppy seed is very good too. I'm not big on coffee but I'll try the mocha cake next time I'm in, sounds like it'll go down well with a soya hot chocolate. All this talk of cake means I'll have to make one now to stop cake deficiency setting in.

Lol - cake deficiency can be very serious if left untreated! (Have you tried the chocolate and orange cake from Iydea? I highly recommend it.)

No, I haven't, it sounds good. I'll try it next time I'm on one of my cake expeditions.

Quote ecoanimal View Post
    I'll try it next time I'm on one of my cake expeditions.
    I feel such a wave of empathy with a person who not only has 'cake expeditions', but has them often enough to talk about 'one of my...' A kindred spirit!
    Last edited by Ruby Rose; Nov 22nd, 2007 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Didn't pay enough attention in spellering classes at school...

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    ...Walked about abit and then stumbled onto the George. Was very friendly in there but they did bring the meal out veggie instead of vegan the first time around. Luckily my gf is still a veg and tried it and said no its definately veggie. So we sent it back and it came back vegan in like 5minutes.
    the George do this EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

i've never had that experience, gorilla. The only problem we had was we got the wrong ice cream flavours brought out. But they just gave us extra

lucky you. it happens to me every time i eat in there.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Last time I was in there I fixed their loo. Apparently the refit didn't cover the sanitation.

The last time we ate in there it was pretty bland too. A real shame as when we first went there in January '06 I thought the roast was delicious.

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    I feel such a wave of empathy with a person who not only has 'cake expeditions', but has them often enough to talk about 'one of my...' A kindred spirit!
    Cake is for life, not just for birthdays!

i went to Beanstalk cafe today. i had a nice hot chocolate and also ordered a Cheezly and salad sandwich which took about 20 minutes to arrive - far too slow, it wasn't even that busy when i got there. the staff didn't seem too with it and i'd advise anyone who goes there to make it really clear they understand you want vegan food - they didn't seem to hear me very well. they were confused as to whether their mayo was vegan too - it said vegan on the menu, but on further questioning it turned out they didn't have any vegan mayo left and weren't going to tell me anyway, it was ok, not brilliant. i might try some of the hot food next time.

I went in recently - forgot to post. People who ordered things which needed to be made seemed to have a bit of a wait but not that long.

I had a bowl of hot food which is 3.95 and a spring roll which was 1.00 on top, all is vegan. I was told they usually had an oriental buffet but that day had decided to make a few different things. They had chips, rice, noodles and pasta in tomato sauce. They also had sweet & sour, curry, chilli etc. made with mock meat. It was okay, nothing that I wouldn't have been able to knock up at home (and I'm not a good or adventurous cook).

They had vegan cake and cheesecake too but I didn't try any.

I wasn't too impressed but I'll give it another go to see what the oriental buffet and the cake is like.

(I went past on the bus and saw coordinated in there - maybe he will post a review too!)

I ignored my instinct and went to The George (I know, I know, I should have listened to all the bad press on here!!).

AWFUL!

Dirty glasses with lipstick, I ordered the burger, it came with cold chips and covered in cheese, rude and unhelpful staff, replacement drink came after my food arrived- then when they brought out my replacement meal, they had just changed the burger- still cold(er) chips. Just hope they didnt just scrape the cheese off.
    I'm shocked!!

Oh dear I used to like the George.

Went there a couple of weeks ago and all was relatively well but the soup was very salty. Chips were yum.
    It was at a fairly slow time so perhaps they had time to do their jobs correctly..I did also bang on a bit overly about it being a vegan order since I know what they can be like there.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

And don't forget they don't have the vaguest idea about which of their drinks are vegan or not.

Use your own knowledge or the Animal Free shopper.

And no, Harvey's isn't vegan. Got that from their head brewer.

Cheers

Mike

Harvey's is proud not to be vegan last time I asked.
    Let's have that drink soon Mike. Somewhere else..

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    Went there a couple of weeks ago and all was relatively well but the soup was very salty. Chips were yum.
    It was at a fairly slow time so perhaps they had time to do their jobs correctly..I did also bang on a bit overly about it being a vegan order since I know what they can be like there.

You're obviously forgetting about the dodgy, unidentifiable "tangy mint" stuff they infused my mashed potatoes with, rather than GARLIC as advertised...And the whole confusion over what is red and what is white wine!!...Oh, and they turfed us off our table 20mins early and we had to sit in the cold? Ah well, all character-building stuff, right? Company made up for it
    ~ United we stand..Divided we fall ~

Is anyone going to the Animal Protection Agency Xmas party on Thursday 13th? There's an all you can eat buffet!
    (http://www.party-animal.org.uk/page2.htm)

Quote lakini View Post
    You're obviously forgetting about the dodgy, unidentifiable "tangy mint" stuff they infused my mashed potatoes with, rather than GARLIC as advertised...And the whole confusion over what is red and what is white wine!!...Oh, and they turfed us off our table 20mins early and we had to sit in the cold? Ah well, all character-building stuff, right? Company made up for it
    I did say relatively, in as much as the food was actually vegan...but the sin of garliclessness may be unforgiveable now you mention it.
    Not really impressed generally with The George but they do try sometimes.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Is anyone going to the Animal Protection Agency Xmas party on Thursday 13th? There's an all you can eat buffet!
    (http://www.party-animal.org.uk/page2.htm)
    Ceilidh vs All You Can Eat...maybe I'll just bung them a tenner and stay at home..

You make a good point horseless one. But my friend is DJ-ing so I think morally I probably have to go.

Quote Corum View Post
    I'm shocked, stunned and amazed! The pub we're going to for the works xmyth lunch has just sent in their new improved menu and there is a special separate vegan version!

The soup's had the Stilton removed and there's an alternative mushroom stroganoff!

That's now available throughout this month at (plug) the Yew Tree Inn, Chalvington (near Lewes) Whoop!!
    I read this on another thread and thought I'd bring it to a local audience!

i've been to Beanstalk a few times now and i do like it in there, i guess they're having a few teething problems but the staff are very friendly, their hot chocolate is yummy and i did have a very nice vegan pizza in there last week. they could do with a few ready-to-eat vegan options though for takeaway imo.

littlemiss

Hello, We got back form our little break in brighton a few weeks back but thought i should get round to my review! We ate at idyea the first day, I had some lentil and corn pie type thing, which was delicious. Loads of veg and they had redbush tea, white tea and dandelion coffee which was a nice surprise as we dont drink caffine but i dont like fruit teas. We ended up eating in idyea for lunch again and breakfast because it had the best options. Unfortunatly they were serving quorn sausages so they gave me extra hash browns to compensate. Very friendly but fighting for a table was a bit of a pain.
    We ate at Bombay aloo, which is good value for money. They were very helpful when i asked what was vegan. The options are not hugh, I'm used to having samosas, baajis and pakoras but it was enough to stuff ourselves!
    We ate at The george, It took them a while to sort out our table, which we had booked.... but after that they were great. We ordered a platter thing to share and some potato wedges as we have good appetites. The food was great and we made sure it was vegan. We were absolutly stuffed and gave half the wedges to a table next to us! It seemed really popular for food but struggeled with tables. Drinkers kept trying to take the tables. The seating for food is right next to the door so the smokers kept leaving it open and freezing us which spoilt it a bit.
    We did look in beanstalks but the menu was not impressive, chips and veggie burgers and the staff seemed to not notice we were there so we left.
    A good break as far as meals were concerned!

Quote littlemiss View Post
    We did look in beanstalks but the menu was not impressive, chips and veggie burgers and the staff seemed to not notice we were there so we left.
    That's a great shame. I went there for the first time recently and had a veggie sausage baguette with fried onions and salad which I topped up at the salad bar a few times. I was thinking of trying some cake but was too full in the end. The cake servings didn't seem a as generous as those at the Infinity cafe.

I was served quickly, but it was after the lunch time rush, and I did get the impression that getting served quickly at busy times would be difficult as most of the time I was eating there were no staff at the counter and customers had to call them a few times to get their attention for food and to pay. I liked the general atmosphere of the place and the staff were friendly, when they were there

I was in Beanstalks several weeks back and they had nothing at all for vegans that day. There was no hot food at all as they were changing it to a salad bar.

It was a falafel and salad buffet last time I looked about a week ago. (It did not inspire me to stay and eat though.)

In other news I was in The Snowdrop pub in Lewes last week and it is under new management and has returned to being 100% veggie with vegan options.

What is the food like in The Snowdrop?

Hard to tell as they have only just taken over. I was out with 2 non vegans but what we all had was very nice.
    The vegan options weren't marked on the hand-written menu but they talked me through what I could have after a word with the chef.

I could have had burger and chips and a few other things but I had a bake (courgette and mushroom I think) with green beans and chips. The mash which should have come with it had milk in but this time but hopefully they will be thinking more about vegans and marking up the menu the more they are asked for vegan food.

Quote Marrers View Post
    In other news I was in The Snowdrop pub in Lewes last week and it is under new management and has returned to being 100% veggie with vegan options.
    Thanks for that. I'll pop in next time I'm in Lewes.
    I can't remember the name of the veggie cafe there, but have you been? If so what's it like for vegan options.

Eco, do you mean Seasons? if so, i haven't been there for a while but it was lovely last time i was there, they had quite a few vegan options. a bit pricey but the staff were very friendly and it's got a nice cosy atmosphere.

good to hear about the Snowdrop - i have a great fondness for that place.

shame about Beanstalk - sounds like they're still a bit patchy.

Thanks Gorilla, it is Seasons. I must pop in the next time I'm in Lewes. It looks like a cosy place, but every time I've been there I've not wanted to eat and wasn't sure if you could just have a cup of tea.

I hope Beanstalks makes a go of it, they still seem to be having some teething troubles from what I've read here. I'm going to Brighton soon so I'll go in for lunch to see if things have improved.

i had a very nice pear & apple cake in Bubble Kitschen (next to Iydea) yesterday, it was in the window with a sign saying it was vegan. they have soya milk for tea and coffee but i'm not sure if much of the regular menu is vegan. it was a bit cramped in there too.

eta: i went to the Caroline of Brunswick for a vegan roast the other weekend but they weren't doing any food because their chef had walked out on them. seems they have a new chef now but i don't know if they still do vegan roasts. anyone been recently?

BlackCats

I went to The George in Brighton yesterday, the food is lovely. I had the fajitas and they were gorgeous (is that the right spelling?)

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    (is that the right spelling?)
    Not if you were trying to type "rhinoceros".

Instead it seems you accidentally spelled out "gorgeous" instead. Which is some typo.

It has been several years since I last went to The George. I keep meaning to go to Brighton for a day trip, but I really am that shy that I would probably be too scared to go in alone.

Michael.

BlackCats

Haha - I meant the spelling of fahitas/fajitas, not the spelling of gorgeous.
    (And no I did not eat any rhinoceros whilst in Brighton.)

Did you check the kitchen just to make sure? People never think to look for rhinos, that is what makes it easy for people to get away with doing.

You were right with "fajita" though.

Michael.

BlackCats

Someone I know was told kebabs were made from real elephant legs - and actually believed it til we spoke about it recently!

I went to The George in Brighton yesterday, the food is lovely. I had the fajitas and they were gorgeous (is that the right spelling?)
    I had those when I went there with Emily and OMG! Got quite drunk aswell....
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    For a minute there, I thought you meant elephant legs!

I'm tired

Quote Roxy View Post
    For a minute there, I thought you meant elephant legs!

I'm tired
    Go to sleep woman!!!

BlackCats

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I didn't get drunk at all while there. Haha, me and my brother fell asleep on the train back and ended up in Luton instead of London Bridge.
    I would love to live in Brighton, it's like London but a nice version.

I didn't get drunk at all while there. Haha, me and my brother fell asleep on the train back and ended up in Luton instead of London Bridge.
    I would love to live in Brighton, it's like London but a nice version.
    So why didn't you pop by and say hello? You have my number woman!!! I would have fed you an' all!

Brighton = 2 years away before I can move down there. Counting the days!!

BlackCats

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    So why didn't you pop by and say hello? You have my number woman!!! I would have fed you an' all!

I was so drunk I probably would have called you if I had thought of it. I instead started talking to a fifteen year old boy at the station for about 20 minutes about god knows what.

So in two years I can stay at your house in Brighton when I go there?

I was so drunk I probably would have called you if I had thought of it. I instead started talking to a fifteen year old boy at the station for about 20 minutes about god knows what.

So in two years I can stay at your house in Brighton when I go there?
    Lol I'm suprised he didn't mug you. It is Luton afterall

Ofcourse! When I live in Brighton I'll have a spare room (gonna be buying ) so it will be for family and (vegan) travelling friends hehe!

Quote emzy1985 View Post

We live near Brighton, my son lives in Brighton - we all love it It was the best move ever. If you want somewhere to stay while house hunting you are always welcome here.
    Silent but deadly :p