Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: Vegan Brighton (1)

Default Re: Vegan Brighton

Quote Gwydion View Post
    Just got back from a long weekend of camping in Brighton - which was all kinds of awesome.

Had some great food at both Terre à Terre and The George. Didn't manage to go back to Infinity Foods Cafe for a slice of Banana & Chocolate Chip cake though I hope this wasn't a life changing experience I missed out on.

It really was.
    Oh my, that cake is GOOD.

Darn it.

Will have to return asap.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote Gwydion View Post
    Didn't manage to go back to Infinity Foods Cafe for a slice of Banana & Chocolate Chip cake though I hope this wasn't a life changing experience I missed out on.
    I'm afraid it was. Their banana and chocolate cake is the best vegan cake I've ever tasted Better get back to brighton soon...

Darn it again.

Ok thanks. September is going to be an expensive month!

next time you come to Brighton, visit me!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

We'll be in Brighton for a couple of days around the 14/15/16 September - anyone fancy meeting up for a cup of tea and a slice of cake?

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    We'll be in Brighton for a couple of days around the 14/15/16 September - anyone fancy meeting up for a cup of tea and a slice of cake?
    Yes we'd love too, I'll PM you our phone number soon. Let us know when and where!
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Gorilla View Post
    next time you come to Brighton, visit me!
    4 Sure! How's the weekend of 'September sometime' looking for you?

If this happens September 14th, might use it as an excuse to sample that life changing cake. If no one minds me tagging along that is

indeedy, sounds good.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Yes we'd love too, I'll PM you our phone number soon. Let us know when and where!
    Nooooooooo... we can't sadly we've got an appointment in deepest darkest Wales
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

VeganLiz

I will be working during the day of 14th Sunday but I am free on the Monday and Tuesday for a cake and a coffee - yummy!

Myself and Enchantress are going to be in Brighton tomorrow for her birthday, the only thing we have loosely planned at the moment is we might have lunch in RedVeg.

Fortunately the weather says it's going to be 27c tomorrow which I'm happy about

If anyone fancies meeting up with us let us know, or if anyone has any good but not expensive ideas of things we could do then that would be good too.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    if anyone has any good but not expensive ideas of things we could do then that would be good too

have a nice time, Risker and Enchantress. unfortunately i'm going away for the weekend otherwise i'd have been happy to meet up with you. the beach is always good when the weather's nice, obviously. the museum's got an exhibition of Oriental artefacts at the moment, i went a couple of months ago and enjoyed it, i think it costs £5 entry if you're not a local resident (you could try and blag your way in for half price if you want )

VeganLiz

Hello I am going to be around tommorrow. Do you fancy meeting for lunch in red veg then?

In the morning there is a free event at the Brighton Dome where you can learn juggling trapeze, diablo etc. My boyfriend Leon and I will be going if you fancy coming. It runs from 10am-2pm but we will probably go in the morning.

I will pm you my mobile....

Liz : 0 )

Friday was a rather eventful day for us!!

We went to Brighton with the intention of ordering some skirting board for our 1930s house. That was easy.

Thought we'd round off our trip with a meal out - Hemlock recommended the George. I was slightly reluctant as it was a bit shabby the last time we were there... anyway, we went there regardless and I was most surprised!

The food is much better value than ever - I had the vegan burger with the works (vegan cheese, bacon, mayo) and it was absolutely lovely. Hemlock had the Chilli-non-carne.

The place is definitely in better nick - must have been decorated recently.

I was most impressed by the wines - which are all vegan

When we were nicely settled after a fantastic meal, Hemlock rounded off the day by suggesting to me "why not get your tragus pierced? No time like the present!" and so I did at Penetration round the corner. Very nice!

I have heard excellent reports of the Sunday roast at the Earth and Stars (served til 10pm). They had vegan pizza on the menu on Saturday but we don't know if they have a vegan option every day. I believe the chef / one of the chefs is vegan.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I enjoyed a sausage and mash at The Hartington which has a selection of marked vegan food on the menu. Just sensible, fairly easy to make vegan, pub food a bit like The George.
    The tap water was also rather nice, and as yet still free.
    You wouldn't know it was there unless you live off Elm Grove really.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

there is a new vegan chocolate cake appreciation group i went last month this mont held in queens park, kemp town sunday 21 1.30 meet mr clock tower bring some lovley cake youve baked to add to the picnic

clair

where di those other two smiles come from, i only put in the last green one!!!!

ocake!

clair

Did you put and :-( {without the noses} in your original post? They will automatically become smileys such as

the guys in Crumbs sandwich shop in the High Street, Lewes can make their sandwiches vegan if you ask them. Their baguette with Houmous and Roast Veg (with extra olives or whatever) is still cheaper than the Bugsy that's on offer in Boots down the road. They charge same for a baguette as for a sandwich.

They also do (to order) vegan cakes

Also, Holland & Barrett have always got some pre-packaged vegan food on offer as they always buy too much!

The only thing I ever get as far as buying in Lewes, are the amazing vegan cupcakes in the health food store!!
    Oh my, they are beautiful delicious amazing creations!!!

Cup cakes?
    What? Where? Which health store???? (There are several!) I was there today - if only I knew earlier!

I did get some tasty home made curry pies from May's General Store though. Shame Landsdowne Health Food Shop no longer stock the delicious roasted vegetable pasties, I really miss those. But they still have a few vegan savouries in the deli counter by the till.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

In May's General Store!!!
    In the display fridge at the till- I've had chocolate chip suprise, lemon and lime, spiced chai and chocolate and vanilla. All delish! They're £1.40 each so not too shabby!

I've never seen cupcakes there, only flapjacks (I go to Mays whenever I'm in Lewes although I hadn't been for the last couple of months). I'll ask about them next time I go.

Off on hols to Brighton soon (yay! Can't wait!) Have been reading all the posts but now I don't know where to have Sunday roast as it seems I'll be spoilt for choice! Tried to look at the website for the George but it seems to have disappeared? Can you lovely Brighton folk give me some idea of the types of roasts on offer? Thanks :O)

Last weekend at the Earth & Stars I had a lovely pie (home-made pastry with beetroot, spinach, pepper and tofu filling) with a great selection of veggies and roast potatoes. They also serve meat there though.

Haven't bothered with The George for a while KayJay but they used to do a nut roast or a vegetable strudel with the roast.

Really sorry to Gorilla and Gwydion that we didn't get our backsides in gear to meet up when we were in Brighton a couple of weeks ago - we ended up racing around like mad things seeing old friends and the time just evaporated.

So... we had an okay meal at the Eagle (opposite the Basketmakers Arms). There were several vegan choices on the menu - we both went for the spinach and chickpea curry which was very nice. It came with naan bread, and we didn't eat it because we thought they'd made a mistake (thinking that you need yoghurt for naan bread)... only discover in Taj the following day a whole load of naan breads without dairy in them. Bah!

We had a nice walk over Seaford Head the next morning, but ended up having to go the hideous mega-pub the Golden Galleon for lunch. Which was chips. That's all they had. But we more than made up for it with a fantastic dinner at Food For Friends - it was just wonderful, even better than the last couple of meals I've had at Cafe Maitreya in Bristol, and even better than the last time I ate at Terre A Terre. I felt a bit sad that the old Lentil-and-beards style of Food for Friends has gone, but you know what - it was worth it!

We had a burger in Wai Kika Moo Kau one day and in Red Veg the next day - my oh thought both were great - me, I was disappointed at WKAMK - felt like it had gone downhill in the last few months. The vegan tiffin bar was, however, amazing.

And I had a great slice of lemon and passionfruit cake from Inifinity Cafe, but had to do a take away because we ran out of time.

We also did, as always, a supermarket-sweep style dash through Taj on Western Road. They had Dorset Cereals reduced to 99p (short dated), and the most amazing naans and lavoosh breads. Also they had different sheeses than Infinity.

I think the tiffin bar is a bit cheaper at Iydea (almost opposite).

We nearly went there! I wanted to try it, after you had said you'd had some good scran there, but oh persuaded me not to. It's such a shame it's not open in the evenings, though.

Thanks Marrers - it's going to be a tough choice I think, but can't wait!

Yeah RR, the choice of vegan eating plummets in the evenings - very disappointing if you want to eat out often, the menus of the evening places don't change very frequently either so it quickly gets boring.

Quote Troutina View Post
    The only thing I ever get as far as buying in Lewes, are the amazing vegan cupcakes in the health food store!!
    Oh my, they are beautiful delicious amazing creations!!!
    Quote Troutina View Post
    In May's General Store!!!
    In the display fridge at the till- I've had chocolate chip suprise, lemon and lime, spiced chai and chocolate and vanilla. All delish! They're £1.40 each so not too shabby!
    This is good news indeed! I don't visit Lewes very often but will be going sometime in the next few weeks. I hope they still have them in stock when I go.

cobweb

can't help but feel envious of you lot in Brighton sometimes............

Quote cobweb View Post
    can't help but feel envious of you lot in Brighton sometimes............
    This is why I wanna move there!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Those cupcakes from Mays General Store are devine! They had 4 flavours and I bought one of each of course (ever conscious of my VF research responsibilities!)
    They come in on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'll post a pic of them next week when I'm back at my computer.

cobweb

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    This is why I wanna move there!

well ised to live there and chose to move away so i can't really moan

I won a dancing competition at the Prince Albert last night. I got a bottle of champaign as my prize, and then my friends and I went down to the beach and drank it. It was beautiful.

I think I like Brighton.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Glad you are settling in well Matt!

I see the Beanstalk cafe on North St has closed down.

well done Matt! glad you like it here!

Beanstalk has closed down? i walked past it yesterday and didn't notice, but then it was pouring with rain and i was keeping my head down. that's a shame, i liked it in there.

i had a very nice day yesterday comprising of lunch in the George and dinner in Bombay Aloo, and great company

Stu

Quote matt35mm View Post
    I won a dancing competition at the Prince Albert last night.
    Any video evidence?

you won a dance competition AND got a prince albert?! my my, that is quite some night out...

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    you won a dance competition AND got a prince albert?! my my, that is quite some night out...
    Done one of them Loud Out Laugh things!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Baggy trousers.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..