Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (1)

paulvegan

Default Re: Vegan Brighton

dont know its been months since i went down there apart from sunday. its too busy so i walk around the back of the shops.

I know it's really just to avoid the cake temptation in Wai Kika . . . maybe I should try that!

Quote Gorilla
    glad you found it

i read that there's a new cafe in Brighton that does vegan food. it's apparently called Uddaganana the article said it's in Kensington Gardens and the menu includes fry-ups, tofu burgers, salads and smoothies. a lot of the food is organic and some of it comes from the owners' own
    allotment. sounds worth a look.
    Why do shops in Brighton call themselves such irritating names tho' - this is something that has annoyed me for some time now
    Silent but deadly :p

You should have come along to the Sunday meet up Hemlock! Where were you?

paulvegan

FREE FOOD AND FILM.
    baa (brighton animal action)are givining free food vegan to try then a film "What really goes on inside the live export trade".

its being held at the Cowley club london rd brighton on the 6th september at 7 pm.

this event is open to members of the public.

they expect people to be hungry after that??!

Quote Marrers
    You should have come along to the Sunday meet up Hemlock! Where were you?
    I was at my sisters wedding up in Horsham and really couldn't find a good enough excuse not to be there The vegan food they laid on for me was an abomination.*They forgot to make a vegan pudding for me and returned with a plate of fruit smelling suspiciously of pimms, evidently they had fished the fruit out of the pimms we had been served earlier on in the day, rinsed it and served it to me as a dessert - I just laughed, what else can you do!!!!
    Better luck next time - my other sister isn't planning to get married for years so plan another meet up quick

Quote Hemlock
    ...so plan another meet up quick
    I'm working on it. A last minute one before Bank Holiday, or maybe early september.

Quote Hemlock
    I was at my sisters wedding . . . The vegan food they laid on for me was an abomination.*They forgot to make a vegan pudding
    I bet your sister was livid - I would be if I'd made a specific request of the caterers and they had failed to carry it out. I'm sure they were paid a fortune.

Indeed, I think it was laziness really, why oh why do all caterers think that vegans want to eat half a baked squash with tomato sauce poured over, I've been served that 4 times now in various restaurants and events. It must be the bog standard vegan recipe Also in omni restaurants I've never been offered anything but fruit for dessert.....yay, fruit again, my favourite (not).

Quote vegandrummersam
    I'm working on it. A last minute one before Bank Holiday, or maybe early september.
    Excellent! But please not the weekend of September the 9th as me and John are doing a pagan handfasting for someone then.

Noted

Quote Hemlock
    a pagan handfasting .
    What's that? Sounds like you abstain from eating hands!! (Is it a wedding?)
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote RedWellies
    What's that? Sounds like you abstain from eating hands!! (Is it a wedding?)
    Yep, just a pagan wedding, not legally binding so they are creeping off to the registry office a couple of days before. We have started doing them for folk who want something different. It's going to be a big do with around 70 people, banquet, the works.
    Just an excuse to dress up in flowing robes really

Mmm had a fabby vegan day- lunch at the George, then some vegan sweets from Infinity and picked up some 'bacon'.
    Then got some dark chocolate buttons from... Montezumas?
    VeganLiz let me try some of hers and I've only just managed to go in-
    they have loads of yummy looking vegan sweets!!
    Then went to Taj and got some cheezly and chicken pieces, and some chocolate from Waitrose.

YUM!

It was so cool- there was a vegan family sitting near us at The George.
    It was so lovely hearing these two 7/8 year old girls talking about being vegan and buying vegan dancing shoes.
    AWW!

Quote Troutina
    It was so lovely hearing these two 7/8 year old girls talking about being vegan and buying vegan dancing shoes.
    AWW!
    Excellent!

i went out for dinner at Nooris the other night, an omni Indian restaurant in Ship Street, which my omni friend wanted to visit to make a change from always going to Bombay Aloo

they have a large range of veggie dishes which are either vegan or can be made vegan on request. the waiter was helpful and recommended i try a balti dish called niramish which was really good. not as cheap as Bombay Aloo but worth a try i thought, as Bombay Aloo tend to have pretty much the same curries every time, and this was something i'd never eaten before.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

VeganLiz

Some of the shoes that are sold on the bourgeios boheme website are also sold in Velvet (the shoes/clothes shop not their houseware one) on Bond Street Brighton. That includes the tempe white and black (wedges with peep toes) and the sarah heels. There are also other ones which are likely to be vegan as they are made by the same company called Blu. There are quite a few in the sale at present and they seem cheaper than bourgeios boheme!

There is also this haberdashery department store on Western Road (on the right side a bit before Topshop). They also sell some of the Blu shoes and have some of the crochetr espaderilles in the sale at present.

Happy shopping....

Liz X

thanks Liz
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Dalis on Dyke Road near Seven Dials has a few decent vegan dishes and nice friendly people. What's more you get flamenco on Tuesdays. Had a lovely time there last night.

Cheers

Mike

The raw magic cafe, Brightons first fully raw cafe is open now, just for tea & cake, the official opening is October 14th with a very special surprise guest I've heard. It's all vegan (apart from the odd bit of bee pollen). Anyone been?

is that where the Raw Magic shop is, in Gardner Street above what used to be the Hemp Shop (which sadly closed down last week)? i didn't realise it was open as it was basically a building site last time i looked. where did you hear that gert?

When I walked past the building site last week there was a sign saying the shop upstairs was open as usual.
    Has the Hemp Shop definitely closed down? I assumed it was just having a refit.

Anyone been to Iydea yet? I see they are doing Sunday Lunches too. I had a very nice vegan Sunday Lunch in Sidewinder (in Kemptown) last week.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    I read that there's a new cafe in Brighton that does vegan food. It's apparently called Uddaganana the article said it's in Kensington Gardens and the menu includes fry-ups, tofu burgers, salads and smoothies. a lot of the food is organic and some of it comes from the owners' own allotment. sounds worth a look.
    And has anyone spotted this place? I've been looking out for it but haven't see it.

i stopped at Iydea not long ago to possibly eat there but i thought the food sounded quite dull. that Uddaganana-whatever-it's-called is right next door to Iydea and is a hippyish looking place, i got there just as they were closing for the day so i don't know what it's like.

the Hemp Shop has definitely closed down. there was a tiny raw food shop above it which is apparently still open despite the downstairs being completely gutted. i can't say it looks particularly inviting at the moment! i've been in the raw food shop a few times but never bought anything in there as it's all so expensive.

I passed Iydea the other day and thought some of the food sounded appealing - but sadly they had sold out of the 2 things I would have wanted! It was around 3.30pm on Saturday though.
    Will look out for the other one next time I'm there.

i would be interested to hear what the food's like if you go there before i do, Marrers.

last week i had plenty of meals out to celebrate my birthday with various people. on the Wednesday i went to Food For Friends for the first time ever. i would definitely recommend it. i had a starter of tofu pockets, which was deep-fried tofu fashioned into little 'pocket' shapes and stuffed with fried rice, avocado and plain tofu. it was delicious but the only problem was it was swimming in soy sauce so was extremely salty. i had to wash it down with a glass of locally-produced organic wine my main course was another oriental-inspired meal called flash in the pan which was a gorgeous colourful stir-fry full of veggies and cashew nuts. for dessert i couldn't resist the chocolate torte really nice food, good service and not as expensive as i expected - about £30 each for three courses plus drinks.

on my birthday i ate at Terre a Terre. the food there is certainly strange but it makes it a memorable eating experience the menu can be a little incomprehensible though! to start i had deep fried hoi sin sesame toasted tofu, absolutely delicious. my main course was called Wotzyuzu Ithai Gnocchi (i had to look that name up on the website, i couldn't remember it!) it was nice but very, erm, different! it was basically potato gnocchi with deep-fried bok choi and some crunchy stuff i'm not sure what it was. it came with a 'green tea and basil shooter' which you're supposed to drink, i didn't really like it, but you've got to try these things! my dessert was jasmine nashi - poached pear with sweet sushi (basically rice pudding with fruit). it was an odd combination of flavours but not bad. i still think they could've done with a better range of vegan options though. i finished the meal with a glass of locally-produced sparkling wine and didn't worry about the cost of the meal as i wasn't paying

one thing i would say about Terre a Terre is that if you're having a main course, don't have the tapas starter because it's basically little bits of all the main courses, so you'll just end up eating the same thing twice. unless you want to of course!

on the Friday i had lunch at the George. enchiladas and garlic bread with vegan cheese - my favourite meal

this week though i'm on a diet!

VeganLiz

Where is this Iydea place then? I have never heard of it!!! I am now seriously addicted to the choclate fudge bars from wakikimoocow - starting to have to buy one whenever I pass!!!!

Liz X

Sounds like my sort of week Gorilla - an eating marathon!

Iydea is almost opposite Waikika Liz!

Quote Gorilla View Post

this week though i'm on a diet!
    Not at the w/e though! Anyway, you don't need to worry, you're very slim
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Gorilla View Post
    is that where the Raw Magic shop is, in Gardner Street above what used to be the Hemp Shop (which sadly closed down last week)? i didn't realise it was open as it was basically a building site last time i looked. where did you hear that gert?
    From Kate who runs Raw Magic, on myspace.

do you have the web address for that gert? MySpace is quite big and not very easy to search!

Kate on Myspace and her website raw living and the webby for her shop

Hopefully they're the right ones, if not I'm sure Gert will correct me whence he's on next!!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

has anyone been to Gourmet Moments in North Street? it's an eco-friendly sandwich and juice bar. they sell meat but have a few vegan items, i had lunch in there the other day and ate a falafel, houmous and salad rye bread sandwich. it was quite good and a bit strange eating in a hippyish cafe right next to Burger King!

mango

I'd like to let you know that the Cowley Club will now be serving food every Thursday evening, from tomorrow (19th October) at 8pm. I will be making a Tapas plate this week, including potato wedges, stuffed tomatoes and other tasty things, all for £2.50. Future menus include Indian, Indonesian and Japanese.

The Cowley Club is run co-operatively and entirely by volunteers, and the cafe is 100% vegan. The club has various purposes including providing cheap, healthy food in a safe space, promoting libertarian, ecological and feminist ideas, facilitating direct action, and giving advice. It is a members and guests club in the evening, but you are welcome to come as a guest, and it only costs £1 to join.

thanks Mango, i have been meaning to go for a while, can't make it tomorrow but hopefully will do so in the future.

Glad I found this topic as i'm probably going to be going to the uni of sussex next year and am slightly nervous about it...

Quote Melanie View Post
    Glad I found this topic as i'm probably going to be going to the uni of sussex next year and am slightly nervous about it...
    I didn't study there but having stayed there a few times I found it to be a really nice place, good atmosphere, good location, good transport.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Melanie View Post
    What are you nervous about?

Brighton's a really lovely place- there are a few dodgy people but on the whole its pretty safe. And you'll love being vegan there!

First time leaving home, i'm diabetic too, so will have to check in with all the doctors and stuff. Plus i'm just not the most confident person.
    Am REALLY looking forward to it though!

Am glad to hear it's a nice place though, have only ever been there for a few breif trips to the lanes, and to that foodshop, the veganny one, I forget the name.

Quote Melanie View Post
    First time leaving home, i'm diabetic too, so will have to check in with all the doctors and stuff. Plus i'm just not the most confident person.
    Am REALLY looking forward to it though!
    You'll settle in really quickly!
    I just left home for the first time, and granted I'm 21, it was still scary!
    But living in halls is fun, living so close to friends, and its cool.
    Everyone's feeling the same though, and you're lucky to be living in Brighton, I miss it

Why not move back there one day maybe? Or is that not possible?
    I'm popping up there tomorrow, have an urge to go in that veggy/vegan restraurant in the lanes

Melanie
    ~xx

My lovely artist son lives in Brighton, 23 years old, professional artist, vegan, friendly and sociable, not at all weird or nerdy, can't understand why he hasn't found a nice vegan girl yet???
    Sorry...that was totally shameless

Quote Melanie View Post
    Why not move back there one day maybe? Or is that not possible?
    I'm popping up there tomorrow, have an urge to go in that veggy/vegan restraurant in the lanes

Melanie
    ~xx
    Well I'm doing a degree at Kingston at the moment, and the plan is to move back there once I've finished it [fingers crossed!]
    But my boyfriend records bands, and wants to move to somewhere in the middle of nowhere [noise, neighbours etc] and although that sounds nice, I will miss Brighton!

Move to Brighton and like, I dunno, insulate... LOTS!

Hemlock; Hehehe!

xx

I just spent a week with friends who took me twice to Brighton. It was wonderful, so veggie/vegan friendly. We had a lunch and dinner at Food for Friends and had a lunch at Red Veg. I wanted to try the vegan breakfast but we got there in time for lunch each time! Has anyone tried to make the choc torte that F for Fs makes? It was so good. I loved 'Infinity' as well, had to stop myself buying stuff. Anyone who lives in or close to Brighton and is vegan or veggie is soooooooooo lucky! I shall be back!
    My friends also had bought a vegan cookery book and cooked all this yummy food especially for me - they aren't even veggie. they said they will definetly be cooking vegan stuff in future so that was good news.
    We also got a lunch in Kingston, The Riverside Vegetaria, that was brilliant as well.

Sounds like you had a really good time!

I went to Tin Drum (Hove branch) on Sunday with 12 friends and I was the only vegan. Even though Sunday is their busiest day they made a real effort so I could be included.

The aubergine soup was vegan already without the creme friache added at the end. They made me a lovely casserole especially as none of the mains are vegan.

Also the Avondale wines are organic and vegan (they checked for me with the supplier)! I think these are sold at all branches as they were having a big promotion on them - it's the one they have a leaflet about where they use ducks to eat the snails and bugs instead of pesticide.

that's cool Marrers

i was dragged to Wokmania for a family birthday the other day, which has just opened near the seafront, and is apparently part of a chain but i'd never heard of it before.

we phoned in advance to make sure i'd have something to eat and they said we should check on arrival but they would have something. it's a buffet place with loads of meat and not much veggie food but the staff went to a lot of trouble to find something for me, they had a pumpkin curry which was really nice and the chef made me a special veggie stir-fry. it wasn't very busy though and they've only just opened so they might not have been so helpful if they were rushed off their feet. i appreciated the effort but it's not really worth me going back again IMO.