Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (1)

Default Re: Vegan Brighton

i had a vegan cheese and onion pasty from I's Pies, the Cornish pasty shop in Gardner Street. it cost £3 but was really nice. i had a coffee with soya milk too (their coffee is fair trade and organic).

i'm a little disappointed to see Red Veg have put their prices up quite a bit. it's now £3.15 for a basic burger i think
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I was at The Hop Poles this Sunday I asked for the vegan version of the Sunday Roast but it came with a yorkshire pudding which is not vegan.
    This also happened when i was there a few weeks ago and at the Barley Mow a few weeks before that.

Is this a problem others have or is it just me?

It really dents my confidence in their understanding of veganism and whether they take much care in the kitchen, where they are also preparing meat dishes.
    I'm trying to explore places besides The George but . . .

i've never tried the food in the Hop Poles. i tend to eat more in veggie places if i have a choice. but, i noticed the other day that the Leek & Winkle pub by the Level does a vegan Sunday roast too, so i might sample it soon.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

i can't edit my posts (still having trouble with the forum) but i realised yesterday that the Leek & Winkle pub is now called the Caroline of Brunswick. i didn't notice the new name when i walked past it last time.

MMM I went to Bombay Aloo last night; can't believe I've never been there before!! It was really really nice, and they knew exactly what was vegan [though I really wish they did vegan naan, onion bajhis etc ]
    And it was cheap and TASTYYYY!

you'd never been to Bombay Aloo before?!

they are really helpful and the food's good but you're right, it'd be great if they did vegan onion bhaijs and naan bread.

I KNOW!!
    I'm ashamed of myself!!!

Just discovered that Mulberry's (the convenience / open late shop in Kemptown, a few doors along from the indoor Flea Market on Upper St. James Street) is stocking vegan stuff the chiiler cabinet! What a breath of fresh air!

I bought Redwoods chicken pieces, falafel bites and bacon. They had a few other bits including tofu sausages and bio-nuggets. It was a bit more pricey than elsewhere (Infinity and Taj) but worth it for me not to have to schlep across to the other side of town. I hope they sell enough to keep stocking it.

Maybe you'll single-handedly keep them stocking that stuff Marrers

My local grocery store just started stocking Tofurkey sausages. I make sure to buy 2 packets every time I go there - because I want them to keep stocking them......I hope I'm not the only one buying them though!

Has anyone had the vegan pies, flans and flapjacks from Mary's in Lewes? They are delicious!
    I've been there 3 times now and have yet to find the same flavour (apart from cheeze & potoato) and they always have lots of choice. Apparently they are all home made and are always vegan. In the small chilled cabinet by the till.
    I'm also loving all the insecticide-free and local produce (incl salad) at Bill's - in Lewes and Brighton.

where's Mary's in Lewes, Marrers? i know the town fairly well but i can't place it. i've never bought anything in either of the Bill's stores because they're always really busy but they look quite inviting. thanks for the info about the shop in Kemptown, i don't go up that way very often myself but it's good to know.

LOL Roxy i know what you mean, i've done that too!

i had a voucher for a free smoothie in a juice bar called Juice Zone in Queen's Road which i used today. i'd never been in there before. they don't seem to have any vegan food but they do quite a few vegan smoothies and juices. i had a Cran Cooler which was cranberries, raspberries and bananas. it was nice but i was disappointed to see they use polystyrene cups for their juices. i'm not sure if i'd go there again.

Mary's is between Bill's/Argos and the other health food shop (is that one called Lansdowne?) - on the same side of the road (on the way if you are walking or driving down to The Snowdrop pub). It has plants outside and also sells other things - I think it is called Mary's General Store. It stays open quite late, I've often been in there after 6pm.

Will have to take more notice next time I'm there and make an entry on Happy Cow as thereis nothing down for Lewes at the moment.

thanks Marrers, yes i think it is Lansdowne health food shop, i've never noticed Mary's before but i'll have a look next time i'm in Lewes. i used to love the Snowdrop pub, i went there with an ex-boyfriend a lot! i don't know what it's like for vegan food these days but it was good once. Seasons is a great little cafe too.

i was in Waitrose in Brighton today and it seems they've stopped selling the few Redwood products they used to stock. i don't know if this is the same for all Waitrose branches? on the plus side i did find some vegan sushi in there

We are getting married in Brighton on Friday 15th December at 3.30pm at the Register Office. I don't suppose anyone is free and fancies being our witnesses? Would only take 20 mins. We would really appreciate it if we could find some fellow vege/vegans to witness it for us. There will only be us two and our witnesses - no family involved.

Anyone?

Sidewinder have been really disappointing for Sunday lunch recently, several times now I've gone in and found the veggie nut roast (which is supposed to have a vegan option) is not suitable. They say no-one ever asks for the vegan option. ( I regualrly do)
    I guess I'll now have to ring in advance as it's a nightmare to go elsewhere if you have arranged to meet people.

And I've found that shop I was going on about in Lewes - with the vegan savoury pastries and home-made flapjacks - is called May's General Store (not Mary's) and they stay open til 8pm every evening.

Quote Terasa View Post
    We are getting married in Brighton on Friday 15th December at 3.30pm at the Register Office. I don't suppose anyone is free and fancies being our witnesses?
    Oh, wow! Just read this post. Did you have a lovely day, Terasa?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Terasa View Post
    We are getting married in Brighton on Friday 15th December at 3.30pm at the Register Office. I don't suppose anyone is free and fancies being our witnesses? Would only take 20 mins. We would really appreciate it if we could find some fellow vege/vegans to witness it for us. There will only be us two and our witnesses - no family involved.

Anyone?
    Darn it! Only just read this post - I would have come for sure!!!! I hope you had a fantastic day
    Silent but deadly :p

The George has a fantastic Christmas dinner this year- don't know if they're still offering it, but there were plenty of vegan options, and if there are more than a certain number of you, they give free bottles of wine!
    Yum.Yum.Yum.

Quote Terasa View Post

Anyone?
    i'm a bit confused about where this post has come from, as this is the first time it's come up when i've checked the forum sorry if you didn't get much response Terasa but it doesn't look like anyone else saw it in time either! hope you had a great day, congratulations.

VeganLiz

There is a big sale on at velvet in Brighton with lots of lovely vegan shoes - the make is blu and a lot of them are also sold by bourgoies boheme.

Liz X

Quote Troutina View Post
    The George has a fantastic Christmas dinner this year- don't know if they're still offering it, but there were plenty of vegan options, and if there are more than a certain number of you, they give free bottles of wine!
    Yum.Yum.Yum.
    Were they open on Christmas Day?

No idea dude, sorry, I went on the 16th Dec.

Oow and now I want to go to Velvet, tempting...!

reference our wedding on 15/12/06

Many thanks for the offers of being our witnesses. I should have thought to ask earlier. We had a lovely day and meal at the Terre a Terre afterwards. We returned to Oxfordshire and had an excellent 4 course vegan meal at Le Manoir Aux Quat Saisons. Worth every penny of the many it cost.

Thanks Again and happy vegan new year to you all! x

Glad to hear it went well Teresa and congratulations!

I'm planning on having a birthday meal somewhere in brighton on a friday night next month with a few of my close friends - maybe 10 people. Can anyone recommend anywhere good that I could book?
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

depends what you want and how much you're thinking of spending, but Food For Friends is good.

Thanks! That does look really good, it's a bit on the expensive side though!

it's cheaper than Terre a Terre though, and less pretentious. The George does fab food if you don't mind going to a pub rather than a restaurant, and it's pretty reasonably priced.

Ah, ok... actually, looking again, the prices don't look that bad, I think food for friends will be first choice and I'll keep the george as a backup. Thanks G

Wai Kika Moo Kau is open in the evenings at the weekends, and thats lovely!

Yes I'd say Food For Friends, then Wai Kika Moo Kau if you don't want to splash out on Terre a Terre.

i haven't been to Wai Kika Moo Kau for ages and i forget it's open some evenings now. i didn't think the vegan choices were all that great last time i went.

Oh no the vegan options are yummy!
    I always have the same: yasai chilli men [with rice noodles, or udon noodles].
    It's lovely: courgetts, mushrooms, tofu, peas, chilli, garlic, tomatoes, onion, lemongrass, red peppers. Tastes like a bit like Kung Po sauce, with lovely chunks of tofu and vegetables. Its the bottom right hand corner of the menu.
    Sorry I can't remember any other vegan options!
    That one is fairly spicy by the way.
    MMM.

i think they've changed the menu at Wai Kika Moo Kau since i last went. i'll have to go again and check it out.

Quote Risker View Post
    Ah, ok... actually, looking again, the prices don't look that bad, I think food for friends will be first choice and I'll keep the george as a backup. Thanks G
    i forgot to mention, if you're a member of Viva! you get 10% off at Food For Friends, and 25% off at the George.

hope you have fun Risker.

Thanks, just joined.

Food for friends were a bit useless, as there's more than 10 people going they said we had to have the party menu at £21 for 3 courses. Now £21 may be quite reasonable for 3 courses, the problem is that none of us want 3 courses.

oh, i didn't know they did that. i don't have 10 friends

there's always Bombay Aloo - it's cheap and we know they're happy to take large groups after the Brighton meet-up... might not be what you had in mind though.

perhaps you could try booking a table at the George? i've never booked there but they might sort it out for you.

I've now booked at the george, do you think they will just give me the viva discount? I can't imagine they'd be too happy giving 25% off the meals for a table of 13.

I'm thinking the george was probably the better idea anyway now, much cheaper and it means that after the meal we won't have trouble trying to find space in a pub on a saturday night.

sounds like a good idea. i have no idea about the Viva discount though.

Red Veg have started doing weekly specials - this week's special is a spinach, garlic, pesto and tahini burger. i had one today and it was gorgeous

Quote Melanie View Post
    Glad I found this topic as i'm probably going to be going to the uni of sussex next year and am slightly nervous about it...
    Hey, I'm likely going to the University of Sussex for next year (2007-08) as part of the Study Abroad Program. Assuming that I get accepted into both, the choice is between Sussex and Kent. I'm currently studying at the University of California, Santa Cruz as a Philosophy major/Drama minor.

In doing further research, including what I've read in this thread, and even getting to speak to some English folk who are currently International Students at my school, I'm leaning towards Sussex right now. Any info I can get from the forum would be great!

Of course, any tips on being a vegan student at Sussex would be greatly appreciated.

And Melanie, if I do indeed go, we can be BUDDIES!

hi Matt, if you choose the uni of Sussex you will definitely have no shortage of places to eat out and find good vegan food. the social scene in Brighton is pretty good too. i would say the cost of living is fairly high compared to some parts of the UK though.

i think Brighton is a great place to be a student i know loads of people who enjoyed it so much they decided to live here after they graduated. there are some fairly active local AR groups too if you're interested.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Red Veg have started doing weekly specials - this week's special is a spinach, garlic, pesto and tahini burger. i had one today and it was gorgeous
    Sounds great, I'll have to check it out!

Iydea have started doing nut roasts on a Sunday. He said for the past few weeks they made two - a veggie one and a vegan one - but everyone wanted the vegan one! So from now on they will always make just one and it will be vegan!
    They also have nice cakes - mostly the same as you get in Wai Kika but they sometimes have a chocolate and tangerine cake.

The coffee shop at the front of the Komedia also has vegan cakes now.

thanks Marrers

Quote Gorilla View Post
    hi Matt, if you choose the uni of Sussex you will definitely have no shortage of places to eat out and find good vegan food. the social scene in Brighton is pretty good too. i would say the cost of living is fairly high compared to some parts of the UK though.

i think Brighton is a great place to be a student i know loads of people who enjoyed it so much they decided to live here after they graduated. there are some fairly active local AR groups too if you're interested.
    I was gutted that the University of Brighton didn't offer the right course that I wanted to be on, I had to be dragged away to Kingston
    I love Brighton so much

Gliondrach

Hundreds of mice have been rescued in the Brighton area. Nearly all are pregnant. The babies will need good homes. Please help if you can.

There is also to be a legal rescue of thousands of battery chickens in April. Any that are not found homes will be sent to the slaughterhouse. Please help if you can and/or tell any interested parties. I'm not absolutely sure if this mob are involved in the mice mission, if not, you can get in touch with me and I'll give you contact information.
    Last edited by Korn; Feb 2nd, 2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Removing invisble code

Stu

Gliondrach! You're alive!

thanks Gliondrach, unfortunately i can't help personally but i'll try and find people who can.

thought some people might be interested in this:

The Goddess Show, Brighton Racecourse, Sat 21st & Sun 22nd April

for all things gorgeous and green: fair trade, health & beauty, chocolate, wine, food, holistic, workshops and performances of music, dance and theatre.

www.boktalo.co.uk

Gliondrach

Yes, I am alive. They can't kill me. Many have tried and those who survived bitterly regretted trying.

I mostly play elsewhere now.
    -------------
    This email was sent to various people yesterday it's about the same mice.
    200 Egyptian spiny mice are awaiting gassing if homes cannot be found straight away.

If anyone can offer a permanent home for a mouse or two, or if anyone can take some on a temporary basis until homes are found please call Karen 01273885101 or Angela 07863579279.

The mice are in the South of England but if you are further afield please get in touch as there may be a way to sort out transport.

Or, if you a cannot offer a home but can help by donating caging, tanks, or help with petrol costs for transporting the mice please contact Karen and offer your help.
    ------------
    Thank you in advance for any help that anyone can give. If you can't offer help, thank you for reading. If you didn't read this, thank you for not reading.

Quote matt35mm View Post
    Hey, I'm likely going to the University of Sussex for next year (2007-08) as part of the Study Abroad Program. Assuming that I get accepted into both, the choice is between Sussex and Kent. I'm currently studying at the University of California, Santa Cruz as a Philosophy major/Drama minor.

In doing further research, including what I've read in this thread, and even getting to speak to some English folk who are currently International Students at my school, I'm leaning towards Sussex right now. Any info I can get from the forum would be great!

Of course, any tips on being a vegan student at Sussex would be greatly appreciated.

And Melanie, if I do indeed go, we can be BUDDIES!
    Although I've only just gone vegan in the past few weeks (after 3 years of vegetarianism), I am a second year student at Sussex. I've taken a few philosophy modules and most of them have been very well taught, although some of the courses have been a bit oversubscribed. The current one I'm doing isn't quite up to the same high standard, but I'm hoping it will improve as the term goes on. By the way, the modules I've taken are only about philosophy of mind, but I know a few other students that have taken ethics and other aspects of philosophy and have been full of praise.

I don't know the food on campus that well, as I lived off-campus in my 1st year, but as far as I know there isn't a massive amount of choice for vegans in the cafes unfortunately. Luckily, I mainly have morning lectures so I can hold out until I'm back home and cook up something. Obviously if you get a place on campus, you can cook something up in between lectures/seminars.

As for a social life, there's a pretty wide range of things to do in Brighton and the university has plenty of societies, so it's unlikely you'll ever be bored.

Just to let you all know that Sussex and The City (cross between a farmers market and a deli selling food from within 50 miles of Brighton http://www.sussexandthecity.co.uk) has quite a lot of vegan wines and beers.

They also do some vegan ready meals (currys).

VeganLiz

Dear Gliondrach

Thanks for this heads up about the mice and chickens. I have spoken to my boyfriend and we are hoping to get one or two of the mice. I have left messages on the two numbers so hopefully can sort something out soon. Unfortunately we live in a two bed terrace in brighton so no room for chickens! I have been reading up about looking after mice - anyone know any tips let me know....

Liz X
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 31st, 2007 at 08:55 PM. Reason: more posts about looking after mice can be found in http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13596